Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 22:03   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Tanveer sir ,
wanted to know the trip dates of your trip to LEH in 2012 ( 18 passes) .
I am planning to visit zanskar around 02 oct during my trip to Leh .What are your views on this slot .Am i supposed to expect snowfall . I will be in a sedan ( Logan )
regards
sumit
Yes
You can expect snowfall. All depends upon mood of weather gods. That said, before 15 oct it usually does not snow much.
Secondly it will be very cold. Night temperatures can be below freezing.

We did that trip from around 1-15th october.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:40   #332
BHPian

Spiti Valley in Mid-June 2014

Am planning a trip to Spiti valley in mid-June in my Xylo from Chandigarh and have 10 days in hand...tentative plan would be to visit Chitkul, Pin valley and camp out at Chandratal if possible.

Having been to Ladakh earlier, I do no wish to cross over Rohtang to Manali but would like to retrace my steps back to the plains via the same route visiting other places along the way.

Would like pointers on the following

(a) Route and route conditions
(b) Places to visit apart from Spiti, Chitkul, Pin Valley and Chandratal.

Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 15:07   #333
BHPian

Hi gurus,

we are planning a Ladakh trip for this July14. for the moment, need some details and clarifications (later I will post the complete plan for validation) :

- assuming the night stay was Pangong (Tangtse), we now need to cover Hanle, Tso Morori, Kyo Tso, Tso Kar. Pl guide exact route, even if considering that Chushul may be closed (permit!)
- Our next phase would be to cover Lahaul & Spiti (Kaza, Tabo, Poo, Chitkul, Rampur). what would be feasible ?
- for our return journey to Mumbai, either take the same Jaipur road or take a separate route to enjoy the Yamuna Expressway, Gwalior, Indore. what is feasible ?

also, do you think its possible to touch Marsimek La in a Xylo ?

thanks,

Last edited by pcpranav : 8th April 2014 at 15:14. Reason: some more queries
Old 8th April 2014, 18:24   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Am planning a trip to Spiti valley in mid-June in my Xylo from Chandigarh and have 10 days in hand...tentative plan would be to visit Chitkul, Pin valley and camp out at Chandratal if possible.

Having been to Ladakh earlier, I do no wish to cross over Rohtang to Manali but would like to retrace my steps back to the plains via the same route visiting other places along the way.

Would like pointers on the following

(a) Route and route conditions
(b) Places to visit apart from Spiti, Chitkul, Pin Valley and Chandratal.

Thanks
You can Visit Dhankar Lake, and Kibber areas in Spiti
In Chitkul you can trek around the village

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi gurus,

we are planning a Ladakh trip for this July14. for the moment, need some details and clarifications (later I will post the complete plan for validation) :

- assuming the night stay was Pangong (Tangtse), we now need to cover Hanle, Tso Morori, Kyo Tso, Tso Kar. Pl guide exact route, even if considering that Chushul may be closed (permit!)
- Our next phase would be to cover Lahaul & Spiti (Kaza, Tabo, Poo, Chitkul, Rampur). what would be feasible ?
- for our return journey to Mumbai, either take the same Jaipur road or take a separate route to enjoy the Yamuna Expressway, Gwalior, Indore. what is feasible ?

also, do you think its possible to touch Marsimek La in a Xylo ?

thanks,
1. If chushul is closed you can do Pangong to Tso moriri on day 1 and then second day to go Hanle.
2. You need atleast couple of nights in kaza. Kaza to Keylong is around 14 hours
3. Not much idea, but there is a great expressway through interior Rajasthan which saves time
4. No, its not possible. Unless Army improved the road in recent years.
Old 9th April 2014, 10:38   #335
BHPian

Amazing thread !!!

I’ve thoroughly gone thro’ the guide & the thread twice. But am not able to put together exact itinerary, guess my mind is cluttered now. Need Help.

Going to Leh from 14th June (can leave on 13th eve) to 29th Jun (Mumbai – Leh – Mumbai)
Vehicle: XUV W8 2WD/ FWD

Thinking of going by Srinagar route and coming back by more scenic Manali route. However, am flexible to reverse it or even Manali route both ways.

Following are the broad circuits what I chose. Kindly suggest if it’s doable / feasible in above time period of 15 days for Mumbai – Leh – Mumbai. Also pls raise if any of these routes can not be doable in XUV W8 2WD.

-Zanskar (Padum)….if it can be fitted into the no. of days available
-Nubra Valley (Hunder and if possible cover Turtuk or Panamik)
-Nubra to Pangong via Wari La (prefer Shyok route if it can be doable in XUV)
-Pangong to Hanle via Chulshul – Kakasang La-Loma (The only reason of doing Hanle are twin roundabouts of Kakasang La route & return Kyun Tso)
-Hanle to Tso Moriri (via Kyun Tso…..Can this be done in XUV 2WD?)
-Back from Tso Moriri via Manali route (thro' Tso Kar twins)

Pls help with fitting this in itinerary depending on routes and time it requires.

If all of the above is not possible in this time frame, which one to skip (would hate to skip something though )
Old 9th April 2014, 10:49   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post

Following are the broad circuits what I chose. Kindly suggest if it’s doable / feasible in above time period of 15 days for Mumbai – Leh – Mumbai. Also pls raise if any of these routes can not be doable in XUV W8 2WD.

-Zanskar (Padum)….if it can be fitted into the no. of days available
-Nubra Valley (Hunder and if possible cover Turtuk or Panamik)
-Nubra to Pangong via Wari La (prefer Shyok route if it can be doable in XUV)
-Pangong to Hanle via Chulshul – Kakasang La-Loma (The only reason of doing Hanle are twin roundabouts of Kakasang La route & return Kyun Tso)
-Hanle to Tso Moriri (via Kyun Tso…..Can this be done in XUV 2WD?)
-Back from Tso Moriri via Manali route (thro' Tso Kar twins)

Pls help with fitting this in itinerary depending on routes and time it requires.

If all of the above is not possible in this time frame, which one to skip (would hate to skip something though )
Ex Delhi the fastest plan can be
1. Delhi - Patinitop
2. Patnitop - Sonmarg
3. Sonmarg - Rangdum
4. Rangdum Pensi La Rangdum
5. Rangdum - Leh
6 Permits
7. Leh Pangong
8. Pangong - Hanle via chushul - Via Kakasangla or normal route. In XUV I recommend Tsaga La route
9. Hanle - Tso moriri - I do not recommend Kyun Tso
10. Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Keylong
11. Keylong Kullu
12. Kullu - Delhi

So 12 days, all packed up.

You have to skip Nubra valley. If you want to do nubra, add couple of days since you have to come back to Leh as Wari La may not be open. If its open, add one day

Kakasang La may be in bad shape, but you can attempt.
Kyun Tso - Definitely not. Your ground clearance is not enough in many areas. The section is also quite remote

If you wanna go to Padum, add 1.5 days more
Old 9th April 2014, 12:38   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Kyun Tso - Definitely not. Your ground clearance is not enough in many areas. The section is also quite remote
I have done Kyun Tso and Zanskar in my XUV 500 AWD, ground clearance was not a problem for me, came back with ZERO scrapes, cannot say about traction issues in XUV 2wd. In Zanskar tires are at risk.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:31   #338
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer for the instant response.

My bad! I'll have to skip one circuit. There is a temptation to do Numbra (due to the famed Khardung La).

What do you suggest to skip? Zanskar or Nubra?

Also, without Padum (Drang Drung is after Pensi La), Zanskar is heavily incomplete or instead of Pesi La, can I go till Drang Drung & come back to Rangdum?

Thirdly, I had included Hanle only due to the attraction of those 2 roundabout routes - 1) Chulshul - Kakasang La - Nyoma - Loma - Hanle and 2) Hanle - Kyun So - Nidar - Nyoma - Tso Moriri). If I can't do Kyun Tso, should I skip Hanle instead of Zanskar or Nubra? However, I don't want to miss drive by Pangong (Spagmik - Maan/Merak)

So, net net, which 2 circuits are to choose from 3 options - Nubra, Zanskar (Padum) or Hanle?

There is also another option (much greedy), don't know if it's feasible or not but here it is (marked in bold below)
Quote:
Ex Delhi the fastest plan can be
1. Delhi - Patinitop.....Delhi - Srinagar
2. Patnitop - Sonmarg.....Srinagar- Kargil... if gates are not open at Sonmarg, then the schedule goes for a toss with 1 day delay :(
3. Sonmarg - Rangdum....Kargil to Padum
4. Rangdum Pensi La Rangdum....Padum to Kargil
5. Rangdum - Leh.....Kargil - Leh
6. Permits
7 Leh Pangong .... Leh – Nubra (Hunder)
8. Pangong - Hanle ..... Hunder - Pangong (via Wari La or Agham Shyok – is it advisable/doable in XUV?)
9. Pangong - Hanle via chushul - Via Kakasangla or normal route. In XUV I recommend Tsaga La route
10. Hanle - Tso moriri - I do not recommend Kyun Tso
11. Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Keylong
12. Keylong Kullu
13. Kullu - Delhi
But it's jam packed and still exceeds by 1 day to 13 days (could be 12 days if I go till Rangdum/Pensi La and not till Padum). And there is not a single buffer day for any eventuality :(

Quote:
You have to skip Nubra valley. If you want to do nubra, add couple of days since you have to come back to Leh as Wari La may not be open. If its open, add one day
If I leave on 14th Jun, I should be at Wari La on 17-18-19th Jun. Would Wari La still not be open then?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have done Kyun Tso and Zanskar in my XUV 500 AWD, ground clearance was not a problem for me, came back with ZERO scrapes, cannot say about traction issues in XUV 2wd. In Zanskar tires are at risk.
GC is 200 mm. If GC is not the problem, can you recall if you felt at any section where 2WD may struggle for traction etc?

Last edited by TheIndian : 9th April 2014 at 16:46.
Old 9th April 2014, 17:19   #339
BHPian

Quote:

1. If chushul is closed you can do Pangong to Tso moriri on day 1 and then second day to go Hanle.
2. You need atleast couple of nights in kaza. Kaza to Keylong is around 14 hours
3. Not much idea, but there is a great expressway through interior Rajasthan which saves time
4. No, its not possible. Unless Army improved the road in recent years.
thanks Tanveer for the inputs. Now may I again disturb you for validating and optimizing the below plan:

Starting from Mumbai on Sat 12-July'14

D1> Thane to Behror (or Gurgaon) | 1290 (or 1390)
D2> Behror to Patnitop (or Udhampur) | 800 KM (or 900)
D3> Udhampur* to Kargil | 440
D4> Kargil to PensiLa to Kargil | 320
D5> Kargil to Leh | 230
D6> Leh to Leh local | 100
D7> Leh to Leh local | 100
D8> Leh to KhardundLa to Turtuk to Diskit | 300
D9> Diskit to Panamik to Leh | 200
D10> Leh to Pangong | 170
D11> Pangong to Hanle (via Upshi, Nyoma) | 350
D12> Hanle to Tso Moriri | 150
D13> Tso Moriri to Sarchu | 220
D14> Sarchu to Gramphu to Kaza | 330
D15> Kaza to Sanga | 270
D16> Sanga to Gurgaon | 650
D17> Gurgaon to Thane | 1390

thanks in advance,
Old 10th April 2014, 16:19   #340
BHPian

Guys,

I am thinking of a trip to Leh from Bangalore in August'14. Planning to drive my Honda city (2013, 6K Kms). I need your advice if my city would be able to take the rough terrain in the mountains. I know there are few who have taken their Altos and Lineas all the way and back but still would like to know what you guys think

Cheers,
Karthik
Old 11th April 2014, 17:35   #341

Am planning my first trip to Leh from Pune from 28 May onwards. Any one has the latest status of the Rohtang Pass or the likely date of opening?
Old 13th April 2014, 20:26   #342
BHPian

Quote:
thanks Tanveer for the inputs. Now may I again disturb you for validating and optimizing the below plan:
some changes done:

starting on Sat 12-July14

D1> Thane to Jaipur | 1200
D2> Jaipur to Jammu | 860
D3> Jammu to Kargil | 440
D4> Kargil to PensiLa to Kargil | 300
D5> Kargil to Leh | 220
D6> Leh to Leh |
D7> Leh to Panamik to Deskit | 220
D8> Deskit to Lukung | 230
D9> Lukung to Hanle | 350 (via Upshi, Chumthang, Loma)
D10> Hanle to Karzok | 150
D11> Karzok to Sarchu | 230
D12> Sarchu to Chhatru | 180
D13> Chhatru to Kaza | 140
D14> Kaza to Nako | 130
D15> Nako to Chitkul | 150
D16> Chitkul to Shimla | 250
D17> Shimla to shimla | 50
D18> Shima tko Jaipur | 600
D19> Jaipur to Thane | 1130

Total days: 19
Total KM: 6900

kindly suggest, thanks.

Last edited by pcpranav : 13th April 2014 at 20:52.
Old 13th April 2014, 21:10   #343

Tanveer, you have written a bible for this route and it really needs to be published as a precious gift to be treasured by so many of us who love to drive and this route is the kind of stuff dreams are made of. Hats off to you Sir. Considering the details you have gone into, so many of us are going to yearn to keep coming back for more. Never knew so much lay in store till you opened the doors.
Old 14th April 2014, 23:31   #344
BHPian

Hi Tanveer, Firstly thanks a lot for this guide ! Much needed for any petrolhead planning a Leh roadtrip.

My initial plan was to drive to Leh during August/Sept, but need to prepone it to June, what would you suggest will the Srinagar route and specifically ZojiLa be good in June for a sedan, precisely the Fluidic Verna ?

Also around Leh, my plan is to visit Pangong, Turtuk and Hanle. Will a sedan be able to do all that ?

Last edited by yatrik : 15th April 2014 at 00:00. Reason: added last question
Old 15th April 2014, 00:15   #345
BHPian

Quote:
some changes done:

D1> Thane to Jaipur | 1200
D2> Jaipur to Jammu | 860
D3> Jammu to Kargil | 440
D4> Kargil to PensiLa to Kargil | 300
D5> Kargil to Leh | 220
D6> Leh to Leh |
D7> Leh to Panamik to Deskit | 220
D8> Deskit to Lukung | 230
D9> Lukung to Hanle | 350 (via Upshi, Chumthang, Loma)
D10> Hanle to Karzok | 150
D11> Karzok to Sarchu | 230
D12> Sarchu to Chhatru | 180
D13> Chhatru to Kaza | 140
D14> Kaza to Nako | 130
D15> Nako to Chitkul | 150
D16> Chitkul to Shimla | 250
D17> Shimla to shimla | 50
D18> Shima tko Jaipur | 600
D19> Jaipur to Thane | 1130

Total days: 19
Total KM: 6900

kindly suggest, thanks.

My humble view

This to me seems quite stretched for a day, you will be stretching your self, the passengers and the car as well to chase your targets, after all this is not a rally and you are out for fun, why not go easy and enjoy instead of zipping

When we travelled few years back, the thumb rule was not to stretch and not carry any fatigue, as my entire family was with me and risk management was paramount

So we did as much as we could and enjoyed the route

Most Viewed