Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 11:42   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have done Kyun Tso and Zanskar in my XUV 500 AWD, ground clearance was not a problem for me, came back with ZERO scrapes, cannot say about traction issues in XUV 2wd. In Zanskar tires are at risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Thanks Tanveer for the instant response.

GC is 200 mm. If GC is not the problem, can you recall if you felt at any section where 2WD may struggle for traction etc?
After the Tso Moriri-Chumur road construction, the Hanle-Kyun Tso route is mostly unused now. Due to this, the route can often deteriorate every time it rains. the first time I did it, it was decent, however over the years it has gone bad. Also, traffic has gone to almost nil.
So there is a good chance of not being able to do in 2WD, but if you are lucky, you can. Just have good sense to turn back if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
Guys,

I am thinking of a trip to Leh from Bangalore in August'14. Planning to drive my Honda city (2013, 6K Kms). I need your advice if my city would be able to take the rough terrain in the mountains. I know there are few who have taken their Altos and Lineas all the way and back but still would like to know what you guys think

Cheers,
Karthik
Avoid Manali Leh highway. If you are coming back first week of september, you can probably attempt manali leh, but if monsoons are extended, then you may face trouble on manali leh route.
City does not have even a paper protection for the Sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSr View Post
Am planning my first trip to Leh from Pune from 28 May onwards. Any one has the latest status of the Rohtang Pass or the likely date of opening?
Likely date of opening is around mid may. But then its upto the Snowfalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
some changes done:

starting on Sat 12-July14

starting on Sat 12-July14

D1> Thane to Jaipur | 1200
D2> Jaipur to Jammu | 860
D3> Jammu to Kargil | 440
D4> Kargil to PensiLa to Kargil | 300
D5> Kargil to Leh | 220
D6> Leh to Leh |
D7> Leh to Panamik to Deskit | 220
D8> Deskit to Lukung | 230
D9> Lukung to Hanle | 350 (via Upshi, Chumthang, Loma)
D10> Hanle to Karzok | 150
D11> Karzok to Sarchu | 230
D12> Sarchu to Chhatru | 180
D13> Chhatru to Kaza | 140
D14> Kaza to Nako | 130
D15> Nako to Chitkul | 150
D16> Chitkul to Shimla | 250
D17> Shimla to shimla | 50
D18> Shima tko Jaipur | 600
D19> Jaipur to Thane | 1130

Total days: 19
Total KM: 6900

kindly suggest, thanks.
From Bombay do not come to Jaipur. Take the Kishangarh highway to south punjab. This way you will be able to reach Patnitop. There is a thread about this highway on our forum
Patnitop to Kargil is doable with ease.
Kargil Pensi La Kargil is a good 16 hours drive(if not more)

Spend 2 nights in Kaza and then do Kaza to Chitkul seeing Nako in the way. There is just a small lake there. Takes about 11-12 hours.
But then, whats the point of Chitkul if you are seeing spiti itself.

Take out Kinnaur from your itenary, give a day more to Zanskar. Its far better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSr View Post
Tanveer, you have written a bible for this route and it really needs to be published as a precious gift to be treasured by so many of us who love to drive and this route is the kind of stuff dreams are made of. Hats off to you Sir. Considering the details you have gone into, so many of us are going to yearn to keep coming back for more. Never knew so much lay in store till you opened the doors.
Thanks Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatrik View Post
Hi Tanveer, Firstly thanks a lot for this guide ! Much needed for any petrolhead planning a Leh roadtrip.

My initial plan was to drive to Leh during August/Sept, but need to prepone it to June, what would you suggest will the Srinagar route and specifically ZojiLa be good in June for a sedan, precisely the Fluidic Verna ?

Also around Leh, my plan is to visit Pangong, Turtuk and Hanle. Will a sedan be able to do all that ?
In June, I would advise taking srinagar route
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 11:48   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In June, I would advise taking srinagar route
Yup, taking the Srinagar route the only option, but will a sedan (2013 Verna) be able to do Zojila ? And further around Leh, will it be an issue going to Turtuk and Hanle for the Verna ?
Old 15th April 2014, 12:11   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatrik View Post
Yup, taking the Srinagar route the only option, but will a sedan (2013 Verna) be able to do Zojila ? And further around Leh, will it be an issue going to Turtuk and Hanle for the Verna ?
Hanle and Turtuk have good roads. Zoji la will be doable with careful driving. So no issues.Just take it easy
Old 15th April 2014, 14:51   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hanle and Turtuk have good roads. Zoji la will be doable with careful driving. So no issues.Just take it easy
Thanks Tanveer, need some tips on photography as well, hoping to get some star trails in Hanle.
Old 16th April 2014, 18:20   #350
BHPian

Kashmir & Ladakh - Itinerary | June 2014

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Kashmir and Ladakh in first two weeks of June 2014 along with my wife in my XUV 5OO (2 wheel drive). Wanted to check if the following itinerary seems fine / achievable. Comments are welcome:

Day 1: Delhi to Amritsar - 12 hrs (driving time) - Golden Temple, overnight at Amritsar
Day 2: Amritsar to Pahalgam - 10 hrs - Overnight at Pahalgam
Day 3: Pahalgam to Srinagar - 6 hrs - Day trip to Gulmarg, overnight at Srinagar
Day 4: Srinagar to Kargil - 9 hrs - Sonmarg - Zozi La - Drass, overnight at Kargil
Day 5: Kargil to Leh - 8 hrs - Namika La - Fatu La - Lamayuru, overnight at Leh
Day 6: Local Leh - DC Office (innerline permits), Leh Palace, Shanti Stupa, Main Bazaar, overnight at Leh
Day 7: Sham Valley - 7 hrs - Alchi, Likir, Basgo, Zanskar and Indus Confluence at Nimmu, Magnetic Hills, Gurudwara Pather Sahib, overnight at Leh
Day 8: Leh to Nubra Valley - 7 hrs - Khardung La, Diskit, Hunder, overnight at Nubra Valley
Day 9: Nubra Valley to Leh - 7 hrs - Sumur, Panamik, Sumur, Khardung La, overnight at Leh
Day 10: Leh to Pangong Lake - 6 hrs - Hemis Monastery, overnight at Pangong Lake
Day 11: Pangong Lake to Leh - 6 hrs - Thicksey and Shey Palace, overnight at Leh
Day 12: Leh to Tso Moriri - 10 hrs - via Changthang La (Merak – Chusul – Nyoma), overnight at Tso Moriri
Day 13: Tso Moriri to Sarchu - 12 hrs - Tso Kar – Debring – Moore Plains – Pang, overnight at Sarchu
Day 14: Sarchu to Manali - 10 hrs - Baralacha La – Keylong – Rohtang Pass, overnight at Manali
Day 15: Manali to Delhi - 12 hrs

I am from Mumbai and plan to send my car through transport from Mumbai to Delhi and back. I am planning to take a flight to and from Delhi.

Also, wanted to check if a 2 wheel drive XUV 5OO would work or not and if it is advisable to do Leh-Manali self drive, given that we would be traveling to the above places for the first time. Alternatively, how easy / difficult is to hire a driver from Leh to Manali leg from the above itinerary? What would be the estimated cost for the driver?

One more couple as travel / driving partners welcome.
Old 16th April 2014, 22:02   #351
BHPian

Re: Kashmir & Ladakh - Itinerary | June 2014

First of all I dont like the idea of sending your car by transport to Delhi. (You could drive it on your own or hire a driver, just my personal opinion)

Keep some empty days for buffer. Trust me you will require buffer days for any contingency.

Skip Sumur and Panamik and go to Hunder instead. Hunder is more beautiful than Sumur and Panamik.

Try to stay a night at Pangong lake, its worth it.

Leh to Tso morriri and Tso morriri might be tiring and long drive so start early and take help of other experts here whether its feasible and doable in 10-12 hours.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 23:51   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Skip Sumur and Panamik and go to Hunder instead. Hunder is more beautiful than Sumur and Panamik.
Will skip Sumur and Panamik. Hunder is already included. Also an overnight stay at Pangong Lake is planned too, in the above itinerary.
nik.agr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 02:38   #353
Team-BHP Support

If possible please avoid staying overnight at Sarchu as the altitude is quite high. We stayed at Sarchu and felt a bit dizzy.
What are your probable dates? We are planning to go in June as well from Calcutta.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:03   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
What are your probable dates? We are planning to go in June as well from Calcutta.
We start either on 1st June or 8th June from Delhi.
Old 17th April 2014, 18:17   #355
BHPian

With the summer approaching i see there are lot of bhpians planning their annual pilgrimage (Drive to Ladakh)

So, here goes my plan. Experts your opinion please. Is it possible to do the below trip in 2 weeks? I am asking this question from a enjoyment point of view not just driving.

I will be driving from Mysore in my Scorpio LX 4WD with my wife and mother (61 yrs).
Planning to start in mid May.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-shimla-ladakh.jpg

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 17th April 2014 at 18:21. Reason: update
Old 18th April 2014, 04:44   #356
Team-BHP Support

@gypsyFreak, Srinagar to Padum in a day will be real tough. Kargil to Padum takes about 7 to 8 hours due to road conditions. You will need to drive continuously for close to 14 hours and you have to cross Zoji La. It is notorious for frequent landslides.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 10:04   #357
BHPian

Quote:
@gypsyFreak, Srinagar to Padum in a day will be real tough. Kargil to Padum takes about 7 to 8 hours due to road conditions. You will need to drive continuously for close to 14 hours and you have to cross Zoji La. It is notorious for frequent landslides.

Thanks...
In that case do we have night stay options in Rangdum or Pensi La
Old 18th April 2014, 10:15   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Kargil to Padum takes minimum 11 hours, unless you are doing the stage in Raid-De-Himalaya and have a service team as a backup.
Old 18th April 2014, 12:01   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
With the summer approaching i see there are lot of bhpians planning their annual pilgrimage (Drive to Ladakh)

So, here goes my plan. Experts your opinion please. Is it possible to do the below trip in 2 weeks? I am asking this question from a enjoyment point of view not just driving.

I will be driving from Mysore in my Scorpio LX 4WD with my wife and mother (61 yrs).
Planning to start in mid May.

Attachment 1231067
if you are on a vacation and not on driving missions, this is the practical breakup of distance, yeah in India we prefer to measure distance in Hours instead of Kilometers

Srinagar - Sonmarg 2 hrs
Sonmarg - Zozila - Drass 3 hours
Drass - Kargil 2 hours
Kargil - Rangdum 5 hours
Rangdum - Padum 5 hours

Your stay options post Kargil

PWD Guest House, Sankoo, this is the last proper village before Padum
Few recently built homestays at Sankoo
PWD Guest House, Parkachik, newly built, no idea about other facility
PWD Guest House at Panikhar, attached toilet, water in bucket, food in room
PWD Guest House at Rangdum, common toilet, water in bucket, no food, food at dhaba
Home Stay at Rangdum, decent, well maintained, food included
Nun Kun tents, just ahead of Rangdum, between village and Monastery, be prepared for night chill.

Absolutely nothing on Penzi La, except for a cemented structure, and chances of meeting wolves. Jokes apart, Penzi La is not the place for night stay.

BTW, your Day 7 also is no fun, too much stretched, people will be pissed off, with a long bad 230 km drive between Padum and Sankoo.

Another Edit:
I guess you need to replan it all again.
Day 8 : Completely off,
Leh - Khardungla 2.5 hrs
Khardungla - Hunder - 2.5 hours
Hunder you will spend atleast 1 hour
Hunder - Turtok - 3 hours
Turtok - time spent atleast .5 hour
Turtok - Hunder - 2.5 hours
Hunder - Khardungla - 2.5 hours
K La - Karu 3 hrs
Karu - Chang La - Lukung 3 hrs
Lukung - you will spend atleast 1 hr
Lukung - Spangmik - 1 hours

Math Says 23.5 hours on your day 8

Day 10 is another story if you planning to go via Kaza, math will be 24 Hrs +

And I haven't yet accounted for the time you might have to waste due to landslides

Last edited by rkbharat : 18th April 2014 at 12:28.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 14:25   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
if you are on a vacation and not on driving missions, this is the practical breakup of distance, yeah in India we prefer to measure distance in Hours instead of Kilometers

Srinagar - Sonmarg 2 hrs
Drass - Kargil 2 hours
Kargil - Rangdum 5 hours
Rangdum - Padum 5 hours

Your stay options post Kargil

PWD Guest House, Sankoo, this is the last proper village before Padum
Few recently built homestays at Sankoo
PWD Guest House, Parkachik, newly built, no idea about other facility
PWD Guest House at Panikhar, attached toilet, water in bucket, food in room
PWD Guest House at Rangdum, common toilet, water in bucket, no food, food at dhaba
Home Stay at Rangdum, decent, well maintained, food included
Nun Kun tents, just ahead of Rangdum, between village and Monastery, be prepared for night chill.

Absolutely nothing on Penzi La, except for a cemented structure, and chances of meeting wolves. Jokes apart, Penzi La is not the place for night stay.

BTW, your Day 7 also is no fun, too much stretched, people will be pissed off, with a long bad 230 km drive between Padum and Sankoo.

Another Edit:
I guess you need to replan it all again.
Day 8 : Completely off,
Leh - Khardungla 2.5 hrs
Khardungla - Hunder - 2.5 hours
Hunder you will spend atleast 1 hour
Hunder - Turtok - 3 hours
Turtok - time spent atleast .5 hour
Turtok - Hunder - 2.5 hours
Hunder - Khardungla - 2.5 hours
K La - Karu 3 hrs
Karu - Chang La - Lukung 3 hrs
Lukung - you will spend atleast 1 hr
Lukung - Spangmik - 1 hours

Math Says 23.5 hours on your day 8

Day 10 is another story if you planning to go via Kaza, math will be 24 Hrs +

And I haven't yet accounted for the time you might have to waste due to landslides

Hi Bharath,

Thanks for your detailed feedback.
I was trying to squeeze the Ladakh plan for 2 weeks, hence the hurry. In fact, even i was not comfortable and hence put the question in first place on the enjoyment.
Anyway, it would be good to drop few places this time. Between Day 6 to Day 9 (4 days) from Srinagar to Manali/Shimla which would be the best places to cover going at leisurly pace.

Day 6:
Srinagar - Sonmarg 2 hrs
Drass - Kargil 2 hours
Kargil - Rangdum 5 hours

Day 7:
Rangdum - Padum 5 hours
Padum - Leh --?????

From Padum to Leh, google maps shows Zanskar valley trail. Is this motorable in a Scorpio 4wd in May? If not then, what is the best option to Leh
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-padum-leh.jpg

Day 8:
Leh - KhardungLa - Hunder - Turtok - Khardungla - Leh --??? Is this possible in a day?

Day 9:
Leh - Manali

If you think this too is over ambitious, please suggest an itenary for four days between Srinagar to Manali with must see places for first timers.

Thanks in advance...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks