Looking forward to the feedback of all the Gurus
Great plan
Slight modifications
11 June Leh - Tso Moriri via Mahe
12 June Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Sarchu
13 June Sarchu - Mandi
14 June - Mandi - Delhi
15 June - Do Delhi - Ahbad in 12-13 hours non stop

From Pangong - You can go to Chumathang (near Mahe) instead of leh. This will give you more time at Tso moriri the next day

Infact do this
Chumathang - Tso moriri - Tso kar(night stay)

Then you do not have to stay at Sarchu, you can head to Jispa
This will allow you to come to Swarghat instead of Mandi which will make your return journey shorter
Old 16th May 2014, 23:36   #437
BHPian

Is the following route I have to take to reach Chumathang.

Pangong Tso – Chang La – Karu – Upshi – Chumathang

Are their any fuel stations in this route of need to carry diesel since I will be starting for Leh a day earlier and will further proceed to Manali after doing the Tso Moriri and Tso Kar.
Old 17th May 2014, 17:39   #438
BHPian

Changthang

This will be my 3rd trip to Ladakh. Vehicle will be a 4x4 Toyota Fortuner. We start on 30th May from Bhopal. Area of interest this time is Changthang. Need some help in fine tuning the program.

30 - Bhopal - Jhansi
31 - Jhansi - Ambala
1 - Ambala - Udhampur
2 - udhampur - sinthan pass - srinagar - sonmarg
3 - Sonmarg - Leh
4 - Leh
5 - Leh
6 - Leh - Nubra
7 - Nubra - Agham - Shyok - Pangong
8 - Pangong - Chushul - Mitpal Tso - yaye Tso - Mahe - Nyoma - Loma - Hanle
9 - Hanle - Kyun Tso 1 and 2 - come back - Salsal La - Charghan la - Tso moriri
10 - Tso Moriri - Jispa
11 - Jispa - Manali
12 - Manali - Delhi
13 - Delhi - Bhopal

Qs

1. On 2nd June will Sinthan pass be open. What is the route and how much time for the day ?

2. On 7th in all probability we might not be able to do Agham Shyok then we come back to Leh. Trip gets extended by a day.

3. I Have done the chushul route earlier to Hanle via Tsaga La. This time want to try a different route. On 8th if Chushul permits are denied then we take the Erath route. How much time to Hanle from Pangong in both
case considering we want to see Mitpal Tso and Yaye Tso ?

4. On 9th June how much time for the route.

5. I can add another day to the trip. Where should i add ? Should i add it at Hanle and do Photi la ?

6. Normal touristy areas no longer require permit from DC office. As for me what all places will i have to fill in the permit form ?

Thanks

Last edited by columbus : 17th May 2014 at 17:40.
Old 18th May 2014, 13:28   #439
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So as per your inputs, have broken Turtuk-Pangong at Leh. Will try Shyok-Agham, if it works out, I will gain a day, if not, no harm done in planning an extra day upfront.

So here is the altered plan

Attachment 1234472

MarsimikLa, Chusul, Hanle?

(I will not take the Tsaga La route, hence omitted it upfront)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Put Tsaga LA in permits. If they allow chushul, then Tsaga LA is no issue
2. Why are you going to Padum. You do not have a day there to see monasteries. Better? Stay at Rangdum and then make a day trip to Pensi LA and enjoy the sights. One night in Padum makes no sense. Heck, Panikhar-Rangdum-Pensi La - Sight seeing - Parakchik(Village at the glacier) makes good sense. So we are talking about 6 hours going and about 4-5 hours coming back.
Even with a late start from Parakchik you can make it to leh easily in 10 hours. There, you have gained a day.

Padum would have made sense if you were 2 nights there and using 1 day to see PAdum monasteries and around.

I would say
1. Sonmarg - Parakchik - 7 hours max
2. Parakchik-Rangdum-Pensi La - Parakchik - 10 hours including a 2 hour picnic at PEnsi La lakes
3. PArakchik - Leh - max 9-10 hours.

Bonus - When I went in 2009 road was there till Sankoo
When I was there in 2012 - Road was there beyond PAnikhar
Now I am sure the road has reached Parakchik, so driving times can be shaved off!
Anticlimax of sorts! Could not start the trip as I have skillfully lost my License last Thursday night. Lodged a General Diary at a nearby Policestation.

Whilst I am trying to holler up a duplicate, but looks like its going to set me back by a few days.

Some folks are of the opinion that since I have the stamped original GD with me and also a copy of the license (and many other id proof documents) I should still be good to go.

At the sametime some other folks are of the opinion that there are far too many checkposts in Ladakh where they specifically ask for License.

Need your thoughts on this. Should I cancel the trip?
Old 18th May 2014, 17:12   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anticlimax of sorts! Could not start the trip as I have skillfully lost my License last Thursday night. Lodged a General Diary at a nearby Policestation.

Whilst I am trying to holler up a duplicate, but looks like its going to set me back by a few days.

Some folks are of the opinion that since I have the stamped original GD with me and also a copy of the license (and many other id proof documents) I should still be good to go.

At the sametime some other folks are of the opinion that there are far too many checkposts in Ladakh where they specifically ask for License.

At the time of last year's trip to Ladakh, i forgot my DL in my Scanner, i was making photocopies at home. By the time i realised this we had already reached Manali. Fortunately no one asked for original, i had enough photocopies already and high resolution scanned copy in my Google Drive which i downloaded to my phone.
Old 18th May 2014, 18:00   #441
Team-BHP Support

If you have a scanned copy(color) make a color photostat and laminate it.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:05   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Great plan
Slight modifications
11 June Leh - Tso Moriri via Mahe
12 June Tso Moriri - Tso Kar - Sarchu
13 June Sarchu - Mandi
14 June - Mandi - Delhi
15 June - Do Delhi - Ahbad in 12-13 hours non stop

From Pangong - You can go to Chumathang (near Mahe) instead of leh. This will give you more time at Tso moriri the next day

Infact do this
Chumathang - Tso moriri - Tso kar(night stay)

Then you do not have to stay at Sarchu, you can head to Jispa
This will allow you to come to Swarghat instead of Mandi which will make your return journey shorter

Dear Tanveer,

Can you pl guide me which is the route someone has to take from Pangong to Mahe or Chumathang.
Do we need permits for any places which I have included in my travel plans ?
Do I need to carry additional diesel or there will be fuel pumps to fill up the tank ?

Thanks a lot for helping us out in planning a Leh trip
Old 19th May 2014, 12:39   #443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_i View Post
Dear Tanveer,

Can you pl guide me which is the route someone has to take from Pangong to Mahe or Chumathang.
Do we need permits for any places which I have included in my travel plans ?
Do I need to carry additional diesel or there will be fuel pumps to fill up the tank ?

Thanks a lot for helping us out in planning a Leh trip
You are going via Karu normal route - So no permits needed.
After coming back from Pangong you reach Sarkti and then the main manali leh highway at Karu. At Karu do a tankfull.
For additional fuel, simply add the kms based on my map, and you will know whether you will need fuel or not.
Your FE will be about 10% less than your city FE
Old 19th May 2014, 13:36   #444
BHPian

I am also planning a trip between 13-22 June. Would post the detailed itinerary once I finalise. Would be taking my Storme 2wd for the trip.
but am worried about this news in TOI today -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/35316420.cms

Quote:
The Manali-Spiti highway is also not likely to open before June-end. Hoteliers rued that they are losing out days in the mere three to four months in which they do business as the area remains cut-off for the rest of the year due to heavy snowfall. According to BRO officials, heavy snowfall and large number of avalanches have made their snow-clearing operation difficult.
Manali-Leh might not open till end of June

Last edited by stormerider : 19th May 2014 at 13:38.
Old 19th May 2014, 14:27   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
I am also planning a trip between 13-22 June. Would post the detailed itinerary once I finalise. Would be taking my Storme 2wd for the trip.
but am worried about this news in TOI today -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/35316420.cms

Manali-Leh might not open till end of June
Whenever highway opening is delayed, a lot of noise is made to get BRO to hurry up and to get the admin to move. Hence you will see lot more news like this. The highway will be open by 15th June. BRO is working on Baralacha la and this is the only pass which is problematic now.
Old 19th May 2014, 14:47   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Whenever highway opening is delayed, a lot of noise is made to get BRO to hurry up and to get the admin to move. Hence you will see lot more news like this. The highway will be open by 15th June. BRO is working on Baralacha la and this is the only pass which is problematic now.
That's a breather then! So can we plan our route from Manali side or should we go through the srinagar side to be sure that the highway would be open on our way back?
Old 19th May 2014, 17:29   #447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
That's a breather then! So can we plan our route from Manali side or should we go through the srinagar side to be sure that the highway would be open on our way back?
Go via Srinagar side if you are going around mid june. Near end June, you have a good chance of getting the open Manali Leh highway
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 04:05   #448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At the time of last year's trip to Ladakh, i forgot my DL in my Scanner, i was making photocopies at home. By the time i realised this we had already reached Manali. Fortunately no one asked for original, i had enough photocopies already and high resolution scanned copy in my Google Drive which i downloaded to my phone.
As Anshuman has mentioned, nobody had asked to see license in Kashmir. But I had a tough time in Delhi at night while returning. I had to show my license along with other papers as the cop said the roof carrier is illegal on a private vehicle. I also faced problem in Delhi as I did not have the registration card with me (it was a new vehicle and the card had not yet arrived). In my opinion it is in Delhi that you may face some issues if at all.
Old 20th May 2014, 11:31   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Quote:
If you have a scanned copy(color) make a color photostat and laminate it.
Unfortunately, and I dont know how, I cannot find a single scanned copy of my license and its not that I never scanned it when I have 3 scanners and scanned copies of everything else at home.

Its seriously one of those moments that you feel like something is definitely conspiring against you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
As Anshuman has mentioned, nobody had asked to see license in Kashmir. But I had a tough time in Delhi at night while returning. I had to show my license along with other papers as the cop said the roof carrier is illegal on a private vehicle. I also faced problem in Delhi as I did not have the registration card with me (it was a new vehicle and the card had not yet arrived). In my opinion it is in Delhi that you may face some issues if at all.
Thats reassuring. But what is a setback for me is that I will have my wife and kid with me, both cannot drive and dont have a D/L. In unlikely event that I am detained, they will also have a super tough time. So at this time, not sure how wise it will be to start.

I have photocopies of my license and a General Diary at a local PS of the loss of license. Some say, this is good enough documentation to carry, but not absolutely sure.
Old 20th May 2014, 23:31   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, and I dont know how, I cannot find a single scanned copy of my license and its not that I never scanned it when I have 3 scanners and scanned copies of everything else at home.

Its seriously one of those moments that you feel like something is definitely conspiring against you!

Thats reassuring. But what is a setback for me is that I will have my wife and kid with me, both cannot drive and dont have a D/L. In unlikely event that I am detained, they will also have a super tough time. So at this time, not sure how wise it will be to start.

I have photocopies of my license and a General Diary at a local PS of the loss of license. Some say, this is good enough documentation to carry, but not absolutely sure.
If you do decide to drive, check with someone who you know is in police or better still if you know someone in Leh. Its better to have an inside perspective. A diary entry with a photocopy would suffice. But you don't have a copy. Check with your car insurance broker. They may have a copy of your DL.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks