Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 23:51   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
If you do decide to drive, check with someone who you know is in police or better still if you know someone in Leh. Its better to have an inside perspective. A diary entry with a photocopy would suffice. But you don't have a copy. Check with your car insurance broker. They may have a copy of your DL.
Thanks! Now I also have a photograph attached stamped/signed (by MV) receipt of duplicate application that mentions that it has a 30 day validity. I do have black and white photocopy of the license as well.

So I guess I am all set. Dont want to investigate further and delay my start, will deal with situations as and when they occur, which I guess, will no longer do. Because I almost have everything. But yes, I know, if there is a request to display the license, it will open up additional discussion points, which is fine!
Old 21st May 2014, 09:26   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thanks! Now I also have a photograph attached stamped/signed (by MV) receipt of duplicate application that mentions that it has a 30 day validity. I do have black and white photocopy of the license as well.

So I guess I am all set. Dont want to investigate further and delay my start, will deal with situations as and when they occur, which I guess, will no longer do. Because I almost have everything. But yes, I know, if there is a request to display the license, it will open up additional discussion points, which is fine!
Bon voyage. Considering you are traveling with family it also has persuasive effect.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:52   #453
BHPian

Hi! Tanveer

Is the no camera rule at Loma checkpost still going on or it has stopped.
If i have to deposit the camera at Loma then i can't take the direct route to tso moriri bypassing chumur. And Kyun Tsos will also not be possible.
Any info. on latest ground situation ?
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:40   #454

Hi,

We are three people, leaving from Noida on 9th of June for Leh. We will be on two bikes and below is the itinerary.

Date Day # Points
9/6/2014 1 Pathankot
10/6/2014 2 Srinagar
11/6/2014 3 Kargil
12/6/2014 4 Lamayuru
13/6/2014 5 & 6 Leh
15/6/2014 7 Pangong-Tso
16/6/2014 8 Sarchu
17/6/2014 9 Manali
18/6/2014 10 Kiratpur Sahib
19/6/2014 11 Noida

If anybody wants to join, give me a shout.
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:15   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Hi! Tanveer

Is the no camera rule at Loma checkpost still going on or it has stopped.
If i have to deposit the camera at Loma then i can't take the direct route to tso moriri bypassing chumur. And Kyun Tsos will also not be possible.
Any info. on latest ground situation ?
Latest they were allowing cameras. however, you can go to Hanle via Nidar if you are worried.
In April the people who did this route reported that cameras were not asked for. I guess "The RTI" worked. We have to thank a certain retired govt official for that, but unfortunately, I cannot divulge his name without permission
Old 25th May 2014, 10:17   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajneesh29 View Post
Hey friends, sorry if this is a repeat question, although I haven't found anything about it so far.
I am planning to go from Mashobra to Manali and then further to Leh if the road conditions allow.
My trip will start from Mashobra on the 30th of May. I will really appreciate some feedback on the route to take from Mashobra to Manali.
Que 1:- Should I take the road from Mashobra to Narkanda - Banjarmasin and then on to Manali? Or the more travelled road from Mashobra - Simla- Mandi and then to Manali? Which road is in a better condition so even if I travel more, I might reach Manali faster.
Que 2:- Is XUV 500 the right car for this time of the year to go to Leh from Manali? Do I need any modifications to the air intake of the XUV for the leh trip? I have read earlier in the thread that the road conditions could be tricky due to snow blockages etc. but how is the route per se? Is it pot holed and torn up or is it only snow covered but manageable.
Que 3:- In case I can't go to Leh due to bad or blocked roads in the beginning of June, where else can I visit or is there an alternate route I can take to come back to Delhi? (I do not have a time crunch).
Thanks

Note from Support: Formated to make readable

Hi guys.. Will appreciate some feed back on the same.
Old 25th May 2014, 19:09   #457
BHPian

Friends,

I'm planning to take 1-2 spare tubes for tyres though my XUV has tube less tyres. Just in case the tyre gets damaged in tough terrain, as an emergency, I can patch the tyre and use it with a tube. XUV tyres are 236 / 65R17. I checked with a tyre shop. There is no tube for that specs. I asked nearest specs. He said Scorpio 16 inch may work. I asked a nearby tube vendor. He showed me some MRF tube 15 inch.

Any idea, which tube should I use?
Old 25th May 2014, 19:37   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Friends,

I'm planning to take 1-2 spare tubes for tyres though my XUV has tube less tyres. Just in case the tyre gets damaged in tough terrain, as an emergency, I can patch the tyre and use it with a tube. XUV tyres are 236 / 65R17. I checked with a tyre shop. There is no tube for that specs. I asked nearest specs. He said Scorpio 16 inch may work. I asked a nearby tube vendor. He showed me some MRF tube 15 inch.

Any idea, which tube should I use?
Tube for 17 inch will be difficult to find. You can use 16 inch Scorpio tube in case of emergency.

I have never faced any issues with tires in my XUV in my last years trip to Ladakh which included torturous Zanskar and this year's trip to Spiti valley.
Old 25th May 2014, 19:48   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Tube for 17 inch will be difficult to find. You can use 16 inch Scorpio tube in case of emergency.

I have never faced any issues with tires in my XUV in my last years trip to Ladakh which included torturous Zanskar and this year's trip to Spiti valley.
Thanks. The Tyre shop guy was also saying it. So, will find a scorpio 16 inch tube. Just as an insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
XUV tyres are 236 / 65R17.
Sorry. Typo. Its 235 / 65R17

Last edited by TheIndian : 25th May 2014 at 19:54.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:57   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys.. Will appreciate some feed back on the same.
If you don't have a time crunch, best to do Delhi - Srinagar - Leh - Manali - Delhi. That way you can avoid the permit hassle at Rohtang. Plus the altitude gain is gradual on Srinagar Leh route if you stay a night at Sonamarg - lesser chances of AMS. Follow the Amarnath yatra schedule though, usually Sonamarg & Zojila climb are a mess during the yatra times.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 26th May 2014 at 15:59.
Old 27th May 2014, 09:48   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If you don't have a time crunch, best to do Delhi - Srinagar - Leh - Manali - Delhi. That way you can avoid the permit hassle at Rohtang. Plus the altitude gain is gradual on Srinagar Leh route if you stay a night at Sonamarg - lesser chances of AMS. Follow the Amarnath yatra schedule though, usually Sonamarg & Zojila climb are a mess during the yatra times.

I just found out that the route to leh is open from Srinagar side but shut from manali side due to recent snowfall. Even if I take the Srinagar route, I might end up getting stuck before Rohtang coming down to manali. I guess I will reschedule my leh trip till August and just go up to Manali this time and treat this as a training trip. Any idea how the route from Mashobra to manali via Naldera is presently?
Old 27th May 2014, 11:52   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just found out that the route to leh is open from Srinagar side but shut from manali side due to recent snowfall. Even if I take the Srinagar route, I might end up getting stuck before Rohtang coming down to manali. I guess I will reschedule my leh trip till August and just go up to Manali this time and treat this as a training trip. Any idea how the route from Mashobra to manali via Naldera is presently?
The Manali route should open by mid june positively. The Rohtang incident was a freak blizzard which resulted in massive avalanche. Should be totally clear in a couple of days or so
Old 28th May 2014, 00:15   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The Manali route should open by mid june positively. The Rohtang incident was a freak blizzard which resulted in massive avalanche. Should be totally clear in a couple of days or so

Hey that's good to know. I have prepared for the Leh trip now and will take a final call once I am at Manali. I have time in Manali to find out the latest situation for the route. Thanks for the info.
Old 31st May 2014, 13:14   #464
BHPian

Came across the following in yesterday's edition of 'The Hindu' - Chennai. My prayers to the family.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-news-article.jpg

I do not wish to go into details of this incident. The point I would like to put across is that please exercise extreme care and caution while out there. I have been there and will be back again. I know how excitement and adrenaline rush takes over and we might end up forgetting some basic driving etiquettes. Being there feels like being in 7th heaven, but people are waiting for us back home. Once again, please exercise extreme care and caution.
narsi_6989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 19:34   #465
Senior - BHPian

I plan to drive from Panamik/ Hunder to Pangong Tso Via Wari La and Tangste. Will this road be doable around June 14. I will be in a SX4. Secondly I would like to know how uch time should I budget for this stretch?

How long will it take from Pangong Tso to Jispa. I believe the distance is 420 Km which is a real log drive in this terrain. Is it doable in a single day? I believe there are no good night halts en route. I do not want to stay in a tent ( in a place like Pang)as I will be with my family

Last edited by rajneeesh : 1st June 2014 at 19:36.

Most Viewed