Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 18:02   #631
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Leh one day is enough.
If you cannot get chushul permits, this buffer day will come in handy.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are the travel times mentioned in brackets alright?
Also, during sep i believe that accomodation should not be much of problem. So do we need to prebook the hotels or can that be done once we reach there?
Old 29th July 2014, 18:07   #632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. Are the travel times mentioned in brackets alright?
Also, during sep i believe that accomodation should not be much of problem. So do we need to prebook the hotels or can that be done once we reach there?
No need of pre-booking anything. you are right about the times.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 18:10   #633
BHPian

Quote:
No need of pre-booking anything. you are right about the times.
Thanks for the reply and such an informative thread. It has and will truly inspire many like me to undertake this amazing journey
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 12:27   #634
BHPian

Hello all,
I have the following query regarding ladakh trip from 6 sep in XUV

The queries are.
1. Nubra to pangong: How much time will it take and are the roads ok?
2. Pangong to tso moriri: Which route should be preffered- Karu-ushi-Mahe OR Maan-Merak-Mahe considering the time constraints and the roads.
3. Tso moriri to Manali: Should we break the journey at Sarchu or jispa considering the travel time.

Any other suggestion is also welcome.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:20   #635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Hello all,
I have the following query regarding ladakh trip from 6 sep in XUV

The queries are.
1. Nubra to pangong: How much time will it take and are the roads ok?
2. Pangong to tso moriri: Which route should be preffered- Karu-ushi-Mahe OR Maan-Merak-Mahe considering the time constraints and the roads.
3. Tso moriri to Manali: Should we break the journey at Sarchu or jispa considering the travel time.

Any other suggestion is also welcome.
Look at the map in the first post(s). Driving times as well as distance are given. They are pretty conservative.
Old 1st August 2014, 18:14   #636
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer, could you please check on the below travel plan and check on shortcomings or bettering the route around Leh. For now the plan is to fly in and out of Leh in the first or second week of September.

Day 1: Arrive in Leh in the morning, check into hotel. Leave the rest of the day to acclimatize and visit places of interest in Leh, checkout local cuisine, etc, sort out permits. (Does the permit office operate on Sundays)

Day 2: Visit Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and confluence at Nimmu.

Day 3: Ride / drive down to Nubra via Khardung la, stay in Diskit / Hunder (Wherever I find better accommodation.

Day 4: Ride / drive back to Leh and chill for the rest of the evening.

Day 5: Day trip to Pangong lake, return back to Leh same evening. (Possible?, drive time for round trip?)

Day 6: Ride / drive to Hanle via Changthang desert, stay night in Hanle (?)

Day 7: Ride / drive back to Leh, and chill in the evening.

Day 8: Checkout early morning and board flight to Mumbai.

Also, I haven never ridden or driven in the hills, besides a quick weekend in Shimla last winter. Would you recommend self drive or ride if I maintain standard caution, or does the region require a special set of skills?
Old 1st August 2014, 19:32   #637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Tanveer, could you please check on the below travel plan and check on shortcomings or bettering the route around Leh. For now the plan is to fly in and out of Leh in the first or second week of September.

Day 1: Arrive in Leh in the morning, check into hotel. Leave the rest of the day to acclimatize and visit places of interest in Leh, checkout local cuisine, etc, sort out permits. (Does the permit office operate on Sundays)

Day 2: Visit Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and confluence at Nimmu.

Day 3: Ride / drive down to Nubra via Khardung la, stay in Diskit / Hunder (Wherever I find better accommodation.
Stay in Diskit

Quote:
Day 4: Ride / drive back to Leh and chill for the rest of the evening.

Day 5: Day trip to Pangong lake, return back to Leh same evening. (Possible?, drive time for round trip?)
One night in pangong is needed. Day return will make it a useless excursion, with no time to sight see

Quote:
Day 6: Ride / drive to Hanle via Changthang desert, stay night in Hanle (?)

Day 7: Ride / drive back to Leh, and chill in the evening.

Day 8: Checkout early morning and board flight to Mumbai.

Also, I haven never ridden or driven in the hills, besides a quick weekend in Shimla last winter. Would you recommend self drive or ride if I maintain standard caution, or does the region require a special set of skills?
Be careful on the passes. Those cabbies can be very rash. Ride in full gear. Avoid very early morning on the passes(black ice). So start from Leh around 7-8am only not 4am types.

Secondly get familier with the bike you are renting. If you are going to rent an enfield, make sure you drive it for a few days here.
Old 1st August 2014, 20:20   #638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Stay in Diskit
Ok. Any particular recommendations on hotels for Diskit, Pangong & Hanle?

Quote:
Be careful on the passes. Those cabbies can be very rash. Ride in full gear. Avoid very early morning on the passes(black ice). So start from Leh around 7-8am only not 4am types.
Great, I'm not an early morning person. Thanks!

Quote:
Secondly get familier with the bike you are renting. If you are going to rent an enfield, make sure you drive it for a few days here.
The Enfields are nice, but I haven't ridden one for a considerable stretch, ever. I think I will mostly rent a smaller pulsar / karizma, if available. Will rent the bike for the first two days before leaving Leh too, should help in getting used to the comfortable stuff, brakes, etc. Any chance of self drive cars (even hatches?) available for rent in Leh?

Also, I read up on the Nubra - Pangong & Pangong - Hanle shortcut routes after my earlier post, are those advisable for first timers on a bike? As highlighted by you, I could save up on the travel back to Leh after both excursions.
Old 1st August 2014, 20:31   #639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, I read up on the Nubra - Pangong & Pangong - Hanle shortcut routes after my earlier post, are those advisable for first timers on a bike? As highlighted by you, I could save up on the travel back to Leh after both excursions.
Yes, pangong to hanle through chushul is not really as big a deal, esp for a bike like pulsar. Only problem is carrying extra fuel. You will need to buy some in Tangste in black, and prolly carry a 15L jerrycan
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:46   #640
BHPian

Hey am reaching manali tonight and will be leaving for Leh. At the risk of asking a previously answered query can anyone tell me the latest procedure of procuring the required permit for rohtang at 5/6am in the morning at the gulaba check post and how far is it from manali. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ToyotaFan : 2nd August 2014 at 17:47.
Old 5th August 2014, 16:33   #641
BHPian

Leaving for Leh on a driving expedition from Pune on 8th and I am little worried. And the worry is the 'Cats & Dogs' manner it is raining allover India now. Is there anyone here who can throw light on the road conditions, more precise, the road from Srinagar to Leh and from Leh to Manali?
Old 5th August 2014, 17:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Enfields are nice, but I haven't ridden one for a considerable stretch, ever. I think I will mostly rent a smaller pulsar / karizma, if available. Will rent the bike for the first two days before leaving Leh too, should help in getting used to the comfortable stuff, brakes, etc. Any chance of self drive cars (even hatches?) available for rent in Leh?
manson, if possible, rent the Bullets only. You can get newer condition as well, for some marginal high rent. The terrific torque and the pulling power is very handy in the passes.

I think Himalayas will be the only place where bullets can be enjoyed for their true worth, pulling prowess! Of course, once you are on flat land, then other bikes will run in circles around you
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 17:06   #643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Hey am reaching manali tonight and will be leaving for Leh. At the risk of asking a previously answered query can anyone tell me the latest procedure of procuring the required permit for rohtang at 5/6am in the morning at the gulaba check post and how far is it from manali. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
At Gulaba. Its around 20kms from Manali area

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Leaving for Leh on a driving expedition from Pune on 8th and I am little worried. And the worry is the 'Cats & Dogs' manner it is raining allover India now. Is there anyone here who can throw light on the road conditions, more precise, the road from Srinagar to Leh and from Leh to Manali?
Once you cross Rohtang or Zoji La, rain is less. Of course the lower hills are getting a lot of rain.
As far as landslides are concerned, these are major routes, so they are opened fairly quickly.
Old 5th August 2014, 17:29   #644
BHPian

Quote:
At Gulaba. Its around 20kms from Manali area

Once you cross Rohtang or Zoji La, rain is less. Of course the lower hills are getting a lot of rain.
As far as landslides are concerned, these are major routes, so they are opened fairly quickly.
Thanks Tanveer for the reply. Now when you say "lot of rain on lower hills", I can't stop myself but ask, how heavy they usually are? I mean, could there be a problem reaching Sonmarg from Srinagar side; or would it be like driving to hell and back while ascending Zoji La; or simply, will one curse oneself for his/her driving decision to Ladakh while crossing Rohtang Mud Paradise? Just wondering...
Old 5th August 2014, 17:31   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Thanks Tanveer for the reply. Now when you say "lot of rain on lower hills", I can't stop myself but ask, how heavy they usually are? I mean, could there be a problem reaching Sonmarg from Srinagar side; or would it be like driving to hell and back while ascending Zoji La; or simply, will one curse oneself for his/her driving decision to Ladakh while crossing Rohtang Mud Paradise? Just wondering...
It can get heavy. But do not worry too much about mud. Most of Rohtang is tarred.
My advice is when it starts raining cats and dogs, danger of rockfall is high. so stop and wait for couple of hours at a safe place.

Sonmarg-Srinagar is mostly level plains kind of road, so no issues.
However Zoji La gets a bit ugly.

That said, Kashmir is not getting rains in large quantity this year. Nothing expected in the next few days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks