Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2014, 18:09   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Most of Rohtang is tarred.
Is the Rani Nallah part better now? That was the crux last year with absolute mess, bottoming out at the very turn. Last year it took us 5 hours for the 7 km stretch around that area going down with vehicles lining up right upto the top and beyond moving at snail's pace and the opposite (coming up) vehicles too suffering great deal due to complete blockage of that area.
Old 5th August 2014, 18:20   #647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Is the Rani Nallah part better now? That was the crux last year with absolute mess, bottoming out at the very turn. Last year it took us 5 hours for the 7 km stretch around that area going down with vehicles lining up right upto the top and beyond moving at snail's pace and the opposite (coming up) vehicles too suffering great deal due to complete blockage of that area.
Its much better now. Its still bad, but not in the league of earlier mess it was.
Old 5th August 2014, 20:25   #648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
manson, if possible, rent the Bullets only. You can get newer condition as well, for some marginal high rent. The terrific torque and the pulling power is very handy in the passes.

I think Himalayas will be the only place where bullets can be enjoyed for their true worth, pulling prowess! Of course, once you are on flat land, then other bikes will run in circles around you
I love the bullets, but have never ridden one for a proper ride, and I feel the Bullets due to their weight need some getting used to unlike the Pulsar / Karizma.
That said, please leave me with any bike rental contacts that you may have in the Leh region. Thanks!
Old 7th August 2014, 12:52   #649
BHPian

Tanveer, one quick question because there is a time constraint in my drive plan. Is it possible to do a Leh-Khardung La-Hunder round circuit in one day if one starts from Leh early, say around 5:30?
Old 7th August 2014, 13:17   #650
BHPian

Any information about pangong tso-tso moriri circuit? Heard from someone that permission is being denied for it.
We were planning to go directly from pangong to tso moriri and then to manali. Is it ok or we should go back to leh from pangong?
Old 7th August 2014, 13:20   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Tanveer, one quick question because there is a time constraint in my drive plan. Is it possible to do a Leh-Khardung La-Hunder round circuit in one day if one starts from Leh early, say around 5:30?
One word- Yes. Just be careful from north pullu- south pullu, rest is ok. We even went to turtuk on the same day.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:03   #652
BHPian

Another quick question Tanveer. Looking at the prevailing rain situation, is it possible to make it to Leh from Sonmarg in one day if one starts early around 5:30 from Sonmarg?
Old 8th August 2014, 11:12   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Another quick question Tanveer. Looking at the prevailing rain situation, is it possible to make it to Leh from Sonmarg in one day if one starts early around 5:30 from Sonmarg?

Don't know about rains but it can be done. The two hurdles would be ams, and the sonamarg checkpost. Check with them of they will allow you to leave from sonamarg. They had stopped us
Old 8th August 2014, 11:27   #654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, its duable. I try and not to stop at Kargil. Infact, we did Padum-Sonmarg (6am to 9pm) just to avoid stopping at Kargil
Old 9th August 2014, 11:04   #655
BHPian

I have been planning and planning and planning for past few months for the trip end of August. Today, I realised that I am actually grossly running late in implementing the plan.

Need help from the Fortuner owners who have done the trip in terms of what tool sets to carry? I have this weekend to scout around and buy. Next weekend is a short family outing. And, that doesn't leave me with enough time for buying the essentials and to also do the servicing!

help

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 9th August 2014 at 11:17.
Old 9th August 2014, 13:40   #656
BHPian

If we decide to go to suru and zanskar from kargil then further to leh has to be done following back the same route? Or is there another way to leh?
Old 9th August 2014, 13:47   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
If we decide to go to suru and zanskar from kargil then further to leh has to be done following back the same route? Or is there another way to leh?
As I understand the joining road from Padum to Nimu at the confluence of Zanskar and Indus is still under progress and not complete, although there is some progress seen of tarring etc from Nimu side.

You would need to take exactly the same route for return from Zanskar.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 17:22   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post

Need help from the Fortuner owners who have done the trip in terms of what tool sets to carry? I have this weekend to scout around and buy. Next weekend is a short family outing. And, that doesn't leave me with enough time for buying the essentials and to also do the servicing!

help
Part sorted. Visited the service center. Bought all fluids and got a list of the essentials from the technician. Should be fully sorted by evening.
Old 10th August 2014, 18:53   #659
Senior - BHPian

Just got the information that 7 Harleys - Fatboys, Iron, Super Low- two each and a Night Rod covered approx 1400 Kms in 4 days to reach Leh today, soon they would start the descend back to Delhi, the bikes have come trouble free and combated those treacherous terrain. Need to get some more info from them regarding their experiences with river crossings enroute.
Old 10th August 2014, 21:03   #660
BHPian

There could be a slight change of plans.
From pangong, we may come back to leh and then do the leh - hanle trip or directly go fron pangong to hanle leading further to tso kar and then directly to manali with a night stay at either jispa or sarchu.

Kindly comment on the above itenary and any difficulties that may be encountered.

Most Viewed