Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 23:01   #736
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

How about visiting Leh in October 1st week? Hoping that the floods in Kashmir has minimal impact at Leh.
Any update on this. Planing to take flight to Leh from Delhi.
Old 11th September 2014, 10:49   #737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
How about visiting Leh in October 1st week? Hoping that the floods in Kashmir has minimal impact at Leh.
Any update on this. Planing to take flight to Leh from Delhi.
You can visit today. There are no floods in Leh. Kashmir and Ladakh are Geographically disconnected areas.
Old 14th September 2014, 13:39   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Any update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Any updates on Chushul?Did anyone get lucky or has it become one of those impossible to get to places?
sorry for the late reply. Reached home Friday evening. No data connectivity if you are on Vodafone. You get intermittent voice connectivity. BSNL is best. Airtel is decent. Hope you are - by now enjoying your trip.

The weather cleared up and it was a mix of mostly sunny (and bit cloudy) all throughout. Returned via Manali.

While we went to the Nubra valley we did not go all the way to Turtuk as there was conflicting views on road condition. Returned to Leh from Hunder. Army, cops and local folks advised against using Wari La. Got permit for Chushul and Hanle. Took the path from Spangmik to Chushul along the banks of Pangong. Must do if you have a high ground clearance vehicle.

We followed one simple rule - Don't be a Gama in the land of Lama. This ensured the road trip was peaceful.

We though did get stuck at Koksar for 3 hours (just before you start your climb towards Rohtang - Manali from the other side) because a bridge broke. This added with 100+ army trucks taking the Manali road (because of rains /road condition on Srinagar - Leh route) had a ripple effect on the time taken.

So budget for unforeseen events. For us it was 2 extra days at Leh (don't regret at all) and the few extra hours on the road because of Koksar.

All in all it was fantastic road trip.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 15:02   #739

After reading all the Leh/Ladakh travelogues for 4++ years, I have finally planned to take the plunge this 6th October.

I will be travelling from Mumbai in 2004 Esteem, with my wife and 2 kids (aged 10 and 6).

Since the recent flooding + being October, I need guidance on the following :-

a. What parts in October can be covered in Esteem?(6th October to 20th October)
b. I plan to take the Manali route and return via Srinagar (depends on situation). In October, do we encounter snow, so as to carry Nylon Ropes/Chains for driving?
c. Any specific point that I missed which you can highlight based on your numerous trips to that region.
Old 14th September 2014, 16:46   #740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavneetSaharan View Post
04 Esteem, with my wife and 2 kids (aged 10 and 6).

Since the recent flooding + being October, I need guidance on the following :-

a. What parts in October can be covered in Esteem?(6th October to 20th October)
b. I plan to take the Manali route and return via Srinagar (depends on situation). In October, do we encounter snow, so as to carry Nylon Ropes/Chains for driving?
c. Any specific point that I missed which you can highlight based on your numerous trips to that region.
Expect -10 or below in some regions. If you are okay with that, then proceed.
As for snow chains etc., new tires should do the job, since passes are cleared at regular intervals.
Old 14th September 2014, 17:25   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Expect -10 or below in some regions. If you are okay with that, then proceed.
As for snow chains etc., new tires should do the job, since passes are cleared at regular intervals.
Hi Tanveer, which are the places that can be covered in Front Wheel Drive car during this time of the year.
Further, will the route Leh-Srinigar OK for the return journey for around 20th October.
I need to plan the accomodations in advance, thus the query.
Old 14th September 2014, 17:28   #742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavneetSaharan View Post
Hi Tanveer, which are the places that can be covered in Front Wheel Drive car during this time of the year.
Further, will the route Leh-Srinigar OK for the return journey for around 20th October.
I need to plan the accomodations in advance, thus the query.
All places not requiring permits are fine. However Tso Moriri may become difficult to reach if there is snowfall.

As for acco, shanti guest house will be open, so will be a few others. No need to worry.

Pangong Tso accomodations may close, in that case, do not worry, there are good places to stay in tangste about 30kms before Pangong Tso.

As for Diskit, hotels there too also available, though water through bucket system.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 18:12   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Got permit for Chushul and Hanle. Took the path from Spangmik to Chushul along the banks of Pangong. Must do if you have a high ground clearance vehicle.
Thank you for those updates. Good to know that Hanle and Chushul permits are being issued.
Did you face any problems in getting clearance from the army check post at Chushul?
Old 14th September 2014, 19:12   #744
BHPian

what is the current condition of slush and tourist/army traffic at rohtang? I am contemplating leh around 20th sept. what is the procedure of getting permit to cross rohtang for leh and is there any particular timing to cross rohtang?? I called one hotel owner and he denied any permit/timing sort of thing for rohtang.
Old 14th September 2014, 20:08   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for those updates. Good to know that Hanle and Chushul permits are being issued.
Did you face any problems in getting clearance from the army check post at Chushul?
No issues at all at any of the check posts. In fact only place where we were asked for permit was at one of the police check posts after Spangmik.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 00:17   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
what is the current condition of slush and tourist/army traffic at rohtang? I am contemplating leh around 20th sept. what is the procedure of getting permit to cross rohtang for leh and is there any particular timing to cross rohtang?? I called one hotel owner and he denied any permit/timing sort of thing for rohtang.
One can easily get permits at the gulaba check post before rohtang. They can be procured easily without any hassles. The pass is a piece of cake from manali only the descent towards khoksar is bad still there is no slush and the old fears of rani nallah and now gone.
Old 16th September 2014, 21:14   #747
BHPian

Again news of border infiltration by PLA. Bad for those Chushul/Hanle permits. It seems that the PLA is dumping Chinese civilians in Demchok. Perhaps Indian army should do the same
Old 17th September 2014, 12:00   #748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Again news of border infiltration by PLA. Bad for those Chushul/Hanle permits. It seems that the PLA is dumping Chinese civilians in Demchok. Perhaps Indian army should do the same
That would be a good idea.
Ladakh fest : Go to the exotic border locations without permit yay!!

On a more serious note, I guess after this, army will realize, that it makes more sense to let civilians go to border areas(economic occupation), rather than prevent them from going.
Old 19th September 2014, 09:40   #749
BHPian

Returned after a 10 day trip to Leh yesterday.

09/09/14: Asr to manali
10/09/14: Manali to sarchu (this was a miatake)
11/09/14: Sarchu to leh
12/09/14: Leh
13/09/14: Leh to nubra and back
14/09/14: Leh to pangong and back
15/09/14: Leh
16/09/14: Leh to manali (yes, we did it in a day)
17/09/14: Manali
18/09/14: Manali to asr

Overall, it was a wonderful trip with very few hassles although we missed the kashmir leg due to floods there.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:52   #750
BHPian

We are planning to start from Hyderabad on October 1st at 2 PM from Hyderabad. And we have to reach back at Hyderabad by 26th October. We primarily plan to visit Leh and Ladakh region. We will go towards Kashmin only if time permits. Also note that we will be doing Hyderabad - Delhi non stop to save time as well as get extra time in the leh region. We are two of us and we have a Scorpio (4x2) for the drive. Our priority is to cover the following areas
1. Spiti and Lahaul
2. Turtuk, Hunder/Diskit, Panamik
3. Pangong Tso, Hanle, Chushul (Changthang desert)
4. Zanskar Valley (Padum/Rangdum)

Could you please suggest the best way to cover all these places assuming we start from Delhi on October 4th Early morning and need to be back in Delhi by 24th October late night.

Apart from the routes, we have some specific questions.

1. Is it possible for a 4x2 Scorpio to reach Leh via Kunzum pass from Spiti?
2. Is Chandrataal a viable option to be included? If the route via Kunzum pass is possible, then I guess we can attempt to reach Chandrataal.
3. Considering the recent developments, are they giving permits to Hanle now?
4. Provided we get permits, is Nubra to Pangong and Pangong to Hanle feasible in a 4x2 at this time?
5. What is the chance of encountering snowfall? Do we need to get snow chains? If so, where can we procure?
6. We want to definitely do not want to miss Suru Valley and Zanskar valley. Are there stay options here at this point of time?
7. We would love to reach Marsimik La. But from what I read, 4x2 will not reach that place. Any chance that a local taxi might be hired to reach Marsimik la?
8. Any leads of final route plan and places to stay would be helpful.
9. Last but not the least, any other team-bhpians driving to Leh around the same time? If so, we can move in a convoy or meet there.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Regards,
Himavanth Myneni

Most Viewed