Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:03   #751

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post

While we went to the Nubra valley we did not go all the way to Turtuk as there was conflicting views on road condition. Returned to Leh from Hunder. Army, cops and local folks advised against using Wari La.
The Road to Turtuk and road from Nubra towards Pangong Tso via Wari La was ok, not any different from other roads in Ladakh region. In fact it was way better than the road which we took to Rangdum from kargil. We managed to do it in our dzire without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
We though did get stuck at Koksar for 3 hours (just before you start your climb towards Rohtang - Manali from the other side) because a bridge broke. This added with 100+ army trucks taking the Manali road (because of rains /road condition on Srinagar - Leh route) had a ripple effect on the time taken.
When was this? We got stuck on the same bridge on 06th September.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:30   #752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
We are planning to start from Hyderabad on October 1st at 2 PM from Hyderabad. And we have to reach back at Hyderabad by 26th October. We primarily plan to visit Leh and Ladakh region. We will go towards Kashmin only if time permits. Also note that we will be doing Hyderabad - Delhi non stop to save time as well as get extra time in the leh region. We are two of us and we have a Scorpio (4x2) for the drive. Our priority is to cover the following areas
1. Spiti and Lahaul
2. Turtuk, Hunder/Diskit, Panamik
3. Pangong Tso, Hanle, Chushul (Changthang desert)
4. Zanskar Valley (Padum/Rangdum)
Yes, you can do this in 4x2 scorpio

Quote:
Could you please suggest the best way to cover all these places assuming we start from Delhi on October 4th Early morning and need to be back in Delhi by 24th October late night.

Apart from the routes, we have some specific questions.
4th Delhi - Rampur
5th Rampur - Tabo
6th Tabo Kaza and local
7th Kaza local
8th Kaza - Chandertaal
9th Chandertaal Jispa
10th Jispa Leh
11th Leh - Nubra
12th Nubra pangong via Wari La, if open otherwise add a day
13th Pangong - Hanle via chushul, if no chushul permit add a day
14th Hanle Tso moriri
15th Tso moriri - Tso kar - Alchi(little ahead of leh)
16th Alchi - Rangdum
17th Randum Padum
18th padum
19th Padum - Kargil
20th Kargil - Srinagar or beyond
21st Delhi

With 2 extra days added(worst case) you will reach Delhi on 23rd

Quote:
1. Is it possible for a 4x2 Scorpio to reach Leh via Kunzum pass from Spiti?
2. Is Chandrataal a viable option to be included? If the route via Kunzum pass is possible, then I guess we can attempt to reach Chandrataal.
Camps are there(Atleast Jamaica's camps till 15th october no isues
Quote:
3. Considering the recent developments, are they giving permits to Hanle now?
4. Provided we get permits, is Nubra to Pangong and Pangong to Hanle feasible in a 4x2 at this time?
5. What is the chance of encountering snowfall? Do we need to get snow chains? If so, where can we procure?
6. We want to definitely do not want to miss Suru Valley and Zanskar valley. Are there stay options here at this point of time?
7. We would love to reach Marsimik La. But from what I read, 4x2 will not reach that place. Any chance that a local taxi might be hired to reach Marsimik la?
8. Any leads of final route plan and places to stay would be helpful.
9. Last but not the least, any other team-bhpians driving to Leh around the same time? If so, we can move in a convoy or meet there.
Yes, but chushul may be issue
You may get snowfall. Wari la may get out of bounds. For snow chains
https://www.facebook.com/spiritofoutdoors
4. Yes
6. Yes
7. May not be possible

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Regards,
Himavanth Myneni[/quote]
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:33   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujineRaj View Post
When was this? We got stuck on the same bridge on 06th September.
This was on 11th of September. We reached the bridge around 12.20 pm. By then there was already a long queue of army trucks.
Old 27th September 2014, 00:20   #754
BHPian

I am also considering the feasibility of taking my dog (18 month old golden retriever) along. I have taken my dog along for trips upto 500kms but not upto this magnitude. But considering we are only 2 people travelling, my dog would have the entire backseat for himself to sleep during the journey. So i am pretty optimistic about the feasibility.

I have the following questions.

1. How do dogs deal with altitude sickness ? I will reach out to the vet in any case.

2. Considering this is off season, are there any pet friendly hotels open? I think the tent accommodations should be pet friendly.

3. This may sound stupid but Any permits required for dogs? I will anyway carry all the documentation, vaccination history for my dog.

Any other advice would be welcome. Worst case would be to leave him back, but I am hoping to receive positive responses here.

Thanks for help
Himavanth
Old 27th September 2014, 01:30   #755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I am also considering the feasibility of taking my dog (18 month old golden retriever) along. I have taken my dog along for trips upto 500kms but not upto this magnitude. But considering we are only 2 people travelling, my dog would have the entire backseat for himself to sleep during the journey. So i am pretty optimistic about the feasibility.

I have the following questions.

1. How do dogs deal with altitude sickness ? I will reach out to the vet in any case.

2. Considering this is off season, are there any pet friendly hotels open? I think the tent accommodations should be pet friendly.

3. This may sound stupid but Any permits required for dogs? I will anyway carry all the documentation, vaccination history for my dog.

Any other advice would be welcome. Worst case would be to leave him back, but I am hoping to receive positive responses here.

Thanks for help
Himavanth
During our recent Ladakh trip there was a Rottweiler in the group and he coped with altitude quite well. Permits are not required for a dog and it is better to call up the hotels beforehand to know if they will allow a dog. Some hotels do allow at an additional cost while some hotels will refuse no matter what.
Old 1st October 2014, 20:42   #756
BHPian

Did the Leh circuit last week on my Thar. Srinagar-Jammu route was closed for repairs. Had to take Mughal road to reach Jammu. The route though scenic is longer with lots of broken sections around Rajouri.

Srinagar-Leh:Excellent except for a small section around Zozilla.

Manali-Leh:Good roads on the ascents to Rohtang and Barlacha La. Large sections of unpaved broken roads between Barlacha La and Pang were frustrating to drive around in a Thar.
All the passes were snow and slush free. Water crossings have dried out. Encountered a snow storm on the ascent to Taglang La
Few sections around Barlacha La may be tricky for hatchbacks.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 16:49   #757
VFM

Did Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Delhi from October 2nd to 10th in 2wd Scorpio.

Delhi to Manali (16 hours)- Bad Roads in Bilaspur district; Rest is good.
Manali to Jispa (7 hours)- Terrible roads from Rohtang to Koksar, Rest is okay to good.
Jispa to Leh (12 hours)- Bad roads in sections of Sarchu and Pang. Excellent roads on More Plains and beyond till Leh (few bad patches).
Leh to Hunder (7 hours)- Bad sections from South Pullu to K Top and further till North Pullu. Rest is good.
Leh to Pangong (5 hours): Great roods (some bad patches on the descent of Chang La).
Leh to Srinagar (14 hours): Got stuck on the Zojila pass for two hours. In return got lots of snow while we are ascending! Great roads (some patches around Drass and Kargil are bad. Zojila is just about motorable.)
Srinagar to Delhi (24 hours):
The road from Srinagar to Jammu (12 hours) is not that bad. Its the cabs and the sheep that delay . I think Jammu to Srinagar was closed fro heavy vehicles as we encountered very few trucks from the other side. The highway is shut (i think only for heavy vehicles) on 10th, 11th and 12th of October. Better to stay at Sonmarg as very few hotels are functional in Srinagar.
Jammu to Delhi (11 hours):It's a breeze after driving in the hills!

The above timelines represent relaxed photographic driving. For example; the return from Pangong took only 4 hours.

Awesome scenery makes up for everything.

Special thanks to Tanveer for this thread. That's the only map we referred all through.
Did ponder on taking the Wari La route to go to Pangong but a 2wd car and being first timer in Ladakh; decided against it. I gathered from the taxi drivers that the road is motorable. Wari La is high on the agenda on our next trip apart from Hanle.
Old 12th October 2014, 20:16   #758

Hi there guys,recently returned from my Ladakh trip,we were 7 people in 2 cars an XUV 500 and a 4*4 ford endevour ,
Started of from Bangalore on the 21st of and were back on the 5th oct,
We went to Leh via Spitti valley,then did chander tal,and headed to leh,and from leh we took the SHYOK route to teach pangong lake,our two wheel drive XUV also completed this route(it was helped by the 4wd Endy in a few places),we also did marsimik la,then headed back to leh,and came back via the Srinagar route
The SHYOK route was the only tough part and the most adventurous part of the journey
Old 13th October 2014, 17:43   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam55 View Post
Hi there guys,recently returned from my Ladakh trip,we were 7 people in 2 cars an XUV 500 and a 4*4 ford endevour ,
Started of from Bangalore on the 21st of and were back on the 5th oct,
We went to Leh via Spitti valley,then did chander tal,and headed to leh,and from leh we took the SHYOK route to teach pangong lake,our two wheel drive XUV also completed this route(it was helped by the 4wd Endy in a few places),we also did marsimik la,then headed back to leh,and came back via the Srinagar route
The SHYOK route was the only tough part and the most adventurous part of the journey
good to know.
would be eager to know about experience for MarsimikLa, especially having a 2WD vehicle.
Old 13th October 2014, 19:12   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
good to know.
would be eager to know about experience for MarsimikLa, especially having a 2WD vehicle.
I wouldn't count much on this 2wd completing it though. A 4wd was watching its back.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:39   #761
BHPian

Guys, I need information on restricted area permit (Inner Line Permit) for Hong Kong (HK special administrative region of China passport holder) resident for Zanskar Trek (Chadar Trek)

I am planning a trek with him (we will probably join a group)

From what I have come to know, RAP is only needed for the following (as under):

As per information on some website, ILP (RAP) is only required
1. Khaltse Sub-Division:
(Drokahpa Area)Khaltse-Dunkhar-Sroduchan Hanudo-Biana-Dha
2. Nubra Sub Division:
Leh-Khardung La-Khalsar-Tirit up to Panasik
Leh-Khardung La-Khalsar up to Hunder
Leh-Sabo-Digar La-Digar-Labab-Khungru Gampa-Tangar (Only for trekking conducted by
approved tour operators and accompanied by State Police personnel)
3. Nyona Sub Division:
Leh-Upshi-Chusathang-Mahe-Puga-Tso-Moari Lake/Kozok
Leh-Upshi-Debring-Puga-Tso-Moari Lake/Korzok.
Leh-Karu-Chang La-Durbuk-Tangtse-Lukung-Spanksik.

The Chadar trek planned will follow this route:

1. Leh to Tilat Do.
2. Tilat Do to Shingra
3. Shingra to Tip Yokma
4. Tip Yokma to Nyarak Pulu
5. Nyarak Pulu to Linghed
6. Lingshed to Nyarak Pulu
7. Nyarak Pulu to Tip Yokma
8. Tip Yokma to Baluka
9. Bakula to Leh

Does it require an Inner Line Permit? I asked some agencies? Some said yes, some said no, some said yes but that we need to obtain from Ministry of Home Affairs. I hope someone can shed light on this.
Old 7th November 2014, 11:45   #762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, I need information on restricted area permit (Inner Line Permit) for Hong Kong (HK special administrative region of China passport holder) resident for Zanskar Trek (Chadar Trek).
Zanskar does not come in Inner line permit regime. However, its best to check with Ministry of Home affars. For regions which come under inner line regime, MHA has to give go ahead if a Chinese national wants the permit. Best to contact the tour agent.

That said, since Zanskar does not come under "inner line", it should be okay, but don't take my word for it. Contact MHA.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 08:33   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Returned after a 10 day trip to Leh yesterday.

09/09/14: Asr to manali
10/09/14: Manali to sarchu (this was a miatake)
11/09/14: Sarchu to leh
12/09/14: Leh
13/09/14: Leh to nubra and back
14/09/14: Leh to pangong and back
15/09/14: Leh
16/09/14: Leh to manali (yes, we did it in a day)
17/09/14: Manali
18/09/14: Manali to asr

Overall, it was a wonderful trip with very few hassles although we missed the kashmir leg due to floods there.
Hi dear
Please give details of travelling Leh to Manali in one day.
Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:04   #764
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Didi the bangalore-Leh-Bangalore from September24th to October 19th in MY ARIA Pure LX 4x2
Could not visit Tso Moriri and Padum.

Marsimik la will be tarred most probably by next year. Budget of 82 crores has been allocated as per a guy at Pongong. He is resident of Habrong near Marsimik La. he said work started, hopefully by next year it will be highest motorable road in the world..

Warila was Ok with lot of broken patches on the ascent, but it is deserted with no traffic at all.
Barachla ascent from sarchu side is horrible.
Old 10th November 2014, 20:56   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnarenderdutt View Post
Hi dear
Please give details of travelling Leh to Manali in one day.
Thanks
When we did leh to manali, we did it in 2 days with a night stop at sarchu. That proved to be a mistake because of the high altitude of sarchu vs manali. Moreover the roads were also bad.
So while returning, we did not want to face the agony for 2 days so decided that it ll be better to do the journey in a single day and take a full day s rest at manali instead.
We started from leh at 6.00AM and reached manali at 8.30 PM. we could have reached an hour earlier but for the 1 hr long traffic jam at Koksar..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks