Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 18:26   #781
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
That's not what I saw during my trips there. But of course, you've done that region extensively.
There were two cars along with our Gypsy. Both did pretty OK. But then again, that's can't be the norm. You're the undisputed boss of that vast region, hence this thread.
Actually, when the snowfall amount is very less, June is peaceful. However, sometimes, May gets a few snowfalls, which we say in last two years, which delayed the road opening to early June. When this happens, road is in a bad shape.

That said, from 2007-2008 timeframe, the current status of the road is very good. I suspect, the condition of the road will stop mattering in the next 2-3 years(barring Rohtang)
Old 12th January 2015, 18:01   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr8ctzn View Post
Hello friends,

I think i am a little too early to ask this but we are planning a trip to Ladakh in August next year.

Basically here is our idea:
Mahindra Xylo E8(2009) - myself and friend
Enfield Bikes - 3 friends

We all live in Bangalore.

Does anyone have good experience in shifting cars and bikes from Bangalore to Delhi(and back!) and any pointers?

Also what care needs to be taken in doing so? The fact that we will have to start driving as soon as we get to Delhi means the vehicles need to be transported safely.

In anycase, having Mahindra and Royal Enfield contacts handy would be handy i guess!

We wish we could drive all the way from Bangalore but looks like its not viable due to professional commitments(same old story there!)...

I will reach out to the team as I begin my planning. But this was the first step, that i wanted to seek your help on.

Any good pointers for route planning/logistics or anything under the sun for this trip from you personal experience, would be invaluable to start my planning.

Regards,
Deepak
Hi Deepak

Even I'm based in Bangalore (HSR Lyt) and plan to do the Leh circuit this year, preferably on my Thunderbird. I had planned the trip once in 2012, but couldn't do it. So in terms of research on the routes to be taken, stops all that have been factored in.

I'm trying my luck this year again, if God willing my manager & Home Ministry permit this escapade.

If you want, i can share the route plan etc. and also contacts of RE folks enroute. Not very sure about Mahindra, but can help you research.

Also, when do you plan to do this ride. I guess September would be a good time - monsoon over, less tourists, lesser heat in the plains etc. Tanveer, may have some suggestions on the time frame.

Regards
Saurav

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 12th January 2015 at 18:02.
Old 12th January 2015, 18:42   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr8ctzn View Post
Hello friends,

I think i am a little too early to ask this but we are planning a trip to Ladakh in August next year.

Does anyone have good experience in shifting cars and bikes from Bangalore to Delhi(and back!) and any pointers?

Regards,
Deepak
Hello Deepak, you can speak to these guys. A group of Dukers hit the Ladakh from Delhi while I rode all the way from here last year. They had taken these guys help. It is a private party with regular train consignments being sent by them to Delhi. The bikes had reached Delhi and back without any damage. Charges were 5k one way.

Here are the contact details: Shakthivel: 9845296205 and Mahesh 9620293781. You can contact Mahesh as he is the man at the ground level, Shakthivel being the owner. They are based in Yeshwanthpur beyond the railway yard where they work. Let me know when you leave and I can also promise you further help at the yard.
Old 20th January 2015, 23:51   #784
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to do Ladakh circuit in June by my own Innova.

My query pertains to planning fuel for one of the legs, as given below...

Day X: Start with full tank from Leh. Drive to Tso Moriri
(Leh-Karu-Upshi-Tangang La-Debring-Tso Kar-Polokong La-Sumdo-Tso Kiagar-Tso Moriri).Distance : 237 km. Assuming tank up at Karu - Distance : 202 km
Return to Tso Kar and overnight. Distance: ~82km
So total distance: 284 km. Assuming an FE of 8 kmpl : ~ 36 L requirement

Day X+1: Start Tso Kar. Overnight Jispa.
(tso kar-Debring-Pang-Sarchu-Baralacha La-Jispa) Distance : ~235 km. Assuming an FE of 8 kmpl : ~ 30 L requirement

Day X + 2: Start Jispa. Overnight Kullu.
(Although there is an IOCL bunk at Tandi, it may not have fuel. ) So the earliest guaranteed availabilityfuel stop is Manali... Distance: 140 km. Assuming FE of 5 kmpl (due to idling in traffic jam) - 28 L requirement.

So total fuel requirement for this stretch = 94 L
Innova tank capacity : 55 L (w/o counting reserve)
Extra fuel needed : ~40 L

So what's the suggestion guys...
Should I carry extra 40 L? In what?
The map mentions fuel is available in black in various places en-route... but the 'jerry can' is not shown on this leg.

Suggestions please...
Old 21st January 2015, 00:06   #785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

Suggestions please...
You get fuel at Tandi near Keylong.
Jispa to keylong is probably 20kms or so only.
With 40L in jerrycans you should manage Leh-Tso Moriri-Tso Kar Tandi easily
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 19:12   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day X: Start with full tank from Leh. Drive to Tso Moriri
(Leh-Karu-Upshi-Tangang La-Debring-Tso Kar-Polokong La-Sumdo-Tso Kiagar-Tso Moriri).Distance : 237 km. Assuming tank up at Karu - Distance : 202 km
Return to Tso Kar and overnight. Distance: ~82km
So total distance: 284 km. Assuming an FE of 8 kmpl : ~ 36 L requirement

Day X+1: Start Tso Kar. Overnight Jispa.
(tso kar-Debring-Pang-Sarchu-Baralacha La-Jispa) Distance : ~235 km. Assuming an FE of 8 kmpl : ~ 30 L requirement

Day X + 2: Start Jispa. Overnight Kullu.
(Although there is an IOCL bunk at Tandi, it may not have fuel. ) So the earliest guaranteed availabilityfuel stop is Manali... Distance: 140 km. Assuming FE of 5 kmpl (due to idling in traffic jam) - 28 L requirement.

So total fuel requirement for this stretch = 94 L
Innova tank capacity : 55 L (w/o counting reserve)
Extra fuel needed : ~40 L

So what's the suggestion guys...
Should I carry extra 40 L? In what?
The map mentions fuel is available in black in various places en-route... but the 'jerry can' is not shown on this leg.

Suggestions please...
DayX: You can fill up the fuel at the IOC outlet at Karu. This comes on the left hand side, we had good FE whenever we fuelled up at this outlet.
DayX+1: You can get to Keylong if you can push a bit which is possible. I am telling you this since we did Tso Morori to Keylong on bilkes with about 85kms of no roads. Also Keylong is a nice place. You can stay in Valley View hotel which has a secured parking, good clean rooms and awesome food.
Dx+2: With this, you can start a relaxed ride this day. The fuel station in Tandi has diesel but availability of petrol is a bit of an issue. The pump starts at 0700 in the morning and is about 8kms from Keylong. Even if you get in early, you need to wait here, so start at 0700 from Keylong. And also Manali is about 115km from Keylong. You can always be ahead of the traffic from Jispa and enjoy a bit of time on the Rohtang top.
Do not take chances with fuel. You can ask someone in this forum if they can share the jerry cans if willing.If you carry Jerry cans, make sure it is spillproof. You can get nauseated if there is a leak inside the car.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:02   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You get fuel at Tandi near Keylong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The fuel station in Tandi has diesel but availability of petrol is a bit of an issue.
Do not take chances with fuel.
Great advice both... many thanks...

I am debating on two itineraries for June... I have a few questions...

The regular option
  1. Delhi - Kud,
  2. Kud-Sonamarg
  3. Sonamarg - Drass or Kargil
  4. Drass/Kargil - Leh
  5. Leh
  6. Leh-Panamik
  7. Panamik-(if possible Hunder) - Leh
  8. Leh-Lukung / Spangmik
  9. Lukung/Spangmik - Leh
  10. Leh - Tso Moriri - Tso Kar
  11. Tso-Kar - Jispa
  12. Jispa - Kullu or Mandi
  13. Kullu/Mandi - Delhi.
Out of the Blue Option
  1. Delhi - Kud,
  2. Kud-Sonamarg
  4. Drass/Kargil - Leh
  5. Leh
  6. Leh-Panamik
  7. Panamik - Lukung/Spangmik (via Agham/Shyok/Durbuk)
  8. Lukung/Spangmik - Tso Moriri (via Chushul , Mahe)
  9. Tso Moriri - Sarchu (lunch at Tso Kar)
  10. Sarchu - Manali
  11. Manali - Chandigarh
  12. Chandigarh- Delhi
Car: Innova (Diesel)
Passengers: Self, Wifey and two kids

Questions
1) Is Option 2 , Day 7 + Day 8 itinerary doable in a 2WD?
2) Any permits needed in advance for Option 2?
3) In terms of scenic beauty , does Option 2 give a better experience?
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:37   #788
J.Ravi

Quote:
Any permits needed in advance for Option 2?
You need to obtain inner line permit from DC's office at Leh for both the options before proceeding to the other destinations.

Old 22nd January 2015, 12:25   #789
BHPian

Folks need an expert advise here. I am also dreaming to visit Ladakh, i guess my urge reached peaks after becoming the member of this forum
Here you go, my questions:
1. Myself, wife and son will be doing this trip. Is it feasible with a 4 year old kid? Kid is very travel friendly, but iam worried about high altitudes and related sickness.
2. Last week of June is what we are targeting, is this right time? Will roads be in good conditions at this time of the year?
3. As we stay in down south (Bangalore) which is the right mode of travel with maximum 10 days limit for travel? I always prefer to drive and simply hate to sit in rear seat.
a) Fly till Delhi and take road route
b) Fly till Leh and hire a taxi for site seeing (too expensive though)
4. If we decide to drive from Delhi, what is best option like hiring a self drive vehicle, public transport? Right now my plan is to hire a Safari/Scorpio from Zoomcar. Are there any visible/known problems for self drive vehicles say from local taxi operators or RTO officials etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:55   #790
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Great advice both... many thanks...

I am debating on two itineraries for June... I have a few questions...

The regular option
  1. Delhi - Kud,
  2. Kud-Sonamarg
  4. Drass/Kargil - Leh
  5. Leh
  6. Leh-Panamik
  7. Panamik-(if possible Hunder) - Leh
  8. Leh-Lukung / Spangmik
  9. Lukung/Spangmik - Leh
  10. Leh - Tso Moriri - Tso Kar
  11. Tso-Kar - Jispa
  12. Jispa - Kullu or Mandi
  13. Kullu/Mandi - Delhi.
Out of the Blue Option
  1. Delhi - Kud,
  2. Kud-Sonamarg
  4. Drass/Kargil - Leh
  5. Leh
  6. Leh-Panamik
  7. Panamik - Lukung/Spangmik (via Agham/Shyok/Durbuk)
  8. Lukung/Spangmik - Tso Moriri (via Chushul , Mahe)
  9. Tso Moriri - Sarchu (lunch at Tso Kar)
  10. Sarchu - Manali
  11. Manali - Chandigarh
  12. Chandigarh- Delhi
Car: Innova (Diesel)
Passengers: Self, Wifey and two kids

Questions
1) Is Option 2 , Day 7 + Day 8 itinerary doable in a 2WD?
2) Any permits needed in advance for Option 2?
3) In terms of scenic beauty , does Option 2 give a better experience?
In June, the Wari La route may not be doable. ditto for Agham Shyok route. For chushul mahe route you need permits from DC office, but route is doable in 2WD
Option 1 does not require any permits.
But its better to push till Jispa as accommodation is better at Jispa
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 23:32   #791
BHPian

Tanveer, this guide needs to be called as 'Ladakh for Dummies'. It gives confidence to drive through these mountains, passes, roads and no-roads, I feel even one who is hesitant to learn driving would learn post reading this guide and would take up a drive to this region.

Definitely will get back to you once I firm up my plans to drive to Leh and Ladakh.
couswheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 12:03   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Lukung/Spangmik - Tso Moriri (via Chushul , Mahe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In June, the Wari La route may not be doable. ditto for Agham Shyok route. For chushul mahe route you need permits from DC office, but route is doable in 2WD
Option 1 does not require any permits.
But its better to push till Jispa as accommodation is better at Jispa
In June 2013, we were wary of going on the Chushul-Mahe route. Army wanted us to turn that way not allowing via Tsaga La route. However, army did also say it was difficult for the 2WD then. Note, we were 2 Innovas then. Also, in June, the streams are in full swing as we had experienced ferocious points in Chang La. We finally turned back via Pangong all the way back to Leh.

The work on this route seems to have been on since 2012 and as of Sep 2013 when ADC did his bicycle trekking, the route conditioning seemed not done fully.

So, I am not yet too sure if the route is comfortable doable in 2WD properly more so for Innova with long wheelbase and low GC. As per my understanding the longer route Tsaga La - Loma - Nyoma - Mahe still would be a surety. But this route has border complications and no guarantee that Army may allow. Army turned us back from this very point at Chushul then.

So keep all things in mind and get all the route points noted specifically on permit to keep routes open as may be the case.

But then, Tanveer might know better, he is the champ of the region.

One problem we found in accommodation at Jispa. We reached pretty late in night there without reservations and there was no accommodation available in the 3 hotels that were there as we came to know then as we circled them in the night. Finally, we came to know about and managed to trace down the Mountaineering Institute there and get them to open their guest house and get accommodation there which was pretty decent at pretty decent rates.

Joy, you are grossly underestimating a lot with 5 kpl You have a reasonable vehicle in hand that can do better. We had 20 ltr jerry cans in each car which would have been sufficient after top-up in Leh, although we were later turned back at Chushul due to the situation there.

Last edited by parsh : 26th January 2015 at 12:04.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 11:32   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
In June 2013, we were wary of going on the Chushul-Mahe route. Army wanted us to turn that way not allowing via Tsaga La route. We finally turned back via Pangong all the way back to Leh.

But this route has border complications and no guarantee that Army may allow. Army turned us back from this very point at Chushul then.
Same was the case with us in June'2014. We had proper permits for Chulshul-Tsagala-Hanle route, but army did not allow us due to some problem at the border and asked us to return to leh.
We did hanle from chumathang side. On our way back we helped an Army Doctor with family (army had probably allowed their own) in sx4 who had lost three tyres to the rocky terrain of tsagala route, including the spare. What can you do with burst tyres?
So my guess is better to have All terrains and no Highway tyres for this route, or atleast tyres with good tread. Probably Tanveer can comment on this specifically.
Old 27th January 2015, 12:05   #794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Same was the case with us in June'2014. We had proper permits for Chulshul-Tsagala-Hanle route, but army did not allow us due to some problem at the border and asked us to return to leh.
We did hanle from chumathang side. On our way back we helped an Army Doctor with family (army had probably allowed their own) in sx4 who had lost three tyres to the rocky terrain of tsagala route, including the spare. What can you do with burst tyres?
So my guess is better to have All terrains and no Highway tyres for this route, or atleast tyres with good tread. Probably Tanveer can comment on this specifically.
All segments which are untarred carry a risk. For example, people have done Zanskar in cars, but its a big risk in a car.
Tsaga La route is also risky that way, but less so. on all untarred sections you have to be very careful if you do not want to damage your tires. Sometimes, the conditions may be bad, so its better to turn back than push on.
Old 29th January 2015, 18:18   #795
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for ^^^ advise. I think an evening at Tso Moriri would be better than going back to Tso Kar on same day...
And yes, though Tso-Moriri to Jispa would be pushing it, in light of the advise from tsk , I would go for it.
My understanding is that other than Baralacha La and its immediate aftermath - the conditions would be fairly decent?

Assuming an early start from Tso Moriri and sedate driving - hope it does not get too late in the day to cross Baralacha La? I would be averse to taking it on, when the sun starts to go down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks