Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2015, 09:35   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
You have a reasonable vehicle in hand that can do better.

I notice from your thread that that you had optimally used Innova's trunk.
Here's my dilemma...

We will be 4 adults and 2 children (aged 11 and 6). + about 6 cabin bags of luggage + 3x 35L Diesel cannisters (mostly empty but at times will be full). I intend to carry some of this on a luggage rack.

1) Sonamarg to Leh:
Assuming the cannisters are empty, will it be possible for the innova to pull us over Zojila , with ^^^ configuration?

2) Leh to Panamik and back
Assuming the cannisters are about half- full (so ~ 50 kg extra), will it be possible for the innova to pull us over Khardung La?

3) Leh to Pangong Tso and back
Assuming the cannisters are about half-full, will it be possible for the innova to do this stretch?

The other option for us , is that we can always take Innova + taxi - where the other 2 adults carry 2 cabin bags + some other things.

But taxi is going to be hugely expensive considering the costs I saw in some of the posts by deky, rkbharat et al.
Old 4th February 2015, 10:10   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Here's my dilemma...

We will be 4 adults and 2 children (aged 11 and 6). + about 6 cabin bags of luggage + 3x 35L Diesel cannisters (mostly empty but at times will be full). I intend to carry some of this on a luggage rack.
The trunk was just above half full even with the large suitcase. So there was certainly more room and possibility to put more in boot with better planning and if needed.

It shouldn't be problem for you to carry all these people on seats. If you have bench in middle much better and if buckets, that should also not be a problem you will get space in middle of the buckets. Boot should easily be able to swallow this much luggage with proper placements, seat recline adjustments etc.

I did not list other points as I will answer in one sentence, yes it will be able to do all these tracks well whether the cans are full or not with all these people and luggage. I would also advice against rooftop carrier usage.

You will just need to be little more caution in the trenches where it may bottom out due to the nature of the trenches, plus be in control in muddy areas. Otherwise you should not have major problem. Keeping high revs above 1500 at all times is more important in that low oxygen environment.

However, I would like you to consider if you really need 3 cans. You can always top-up from local shops though at bit higher costs. You can easily avoid taxi plan IMO.

Last edited by parsh : 4th February 2015 at 10:12.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 10:13   #798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here's my dilemma...

1) Sonamarg to Leh:
Assuming the cannisters are empty, will it be possible for the innova to pull us over Zojila , with ^^^ configuration?
No need to carry fuel. Carry 20-30L for emergency, that is

Quote:
2) Leh to Panamik and back
Assuming the cannisters are about half- full (so ~ 50 kg extra), will it be possible for the innova to pull us over Khardung La?
Again, carry 20L, enough. when you reach Panamik, pour fuel into tank. So empty cannister, right?
Quote:
3) Leh to Pangong Tso and back
Assuming the cannisters are about half-full, will it be possible for the innova to do this stretch?
Again, 20L, and then put into tank. Simple!
Quote:
The other option for us , is that we can always take Innova + taxi - where the other 2 adults carry 2 cabin bags + some other things.

But taxi is going to be hugely expensive considering the costs I saw in some of the posts by deky, rkbharat et al.
No need to do this. You have a vehicle capable of doing the stretch, so do not worry
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 11:07   #799
BHPian

Dear Tanvir,

Hopefully planning to do the Bengaluru-Leh trip this year after an aborted one in 2013 because of a medical emergency at home. Planning the trip end Aug after attending our Course get together,at Jaipur, from 23 to 24 Aug. Will be travelling in my Ritz petrol. please advise on the precautions for the car? I keep reading your Guide. The Srinagar -Leh will be in the 1st week of Sep. Planning to come back via Manali. Your Guide states that the streams are fordable by cars.

Thank you

Col Jude Mayne
Old 5th February 2015, 11:37   #800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Tanvir,

Hopefully planning to do the Bengaluru-Leh trip this year after an aborted one in 2013 because of a medical emergency at home. Planning the trip end Aug after attending our Course get together,at Jaipur, from 23 to 24 Aug. Will be travelling in my Ritz petrol. please advise on the precautions for the car? I keep reading your Guide. The Srinagar -Leh will be in the 1st week of Sep. Planning to come back via Manali. Your Guide states that the streams are fordable by cars.

Thank you

Col Jude Mayne
Just read the car FAQ and you are good to go. This is a good time to visit as there is no snow on passes and roads are in decent condition. you can go via Srinagar, and come back via Manali.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 11:42   #801

This is without a doubt the most comprehensive guide and repository of information on the ladakh circuit I have come across.

A couple of friends and I - all on KTM Duke 390s, are planning to hit the Ladakh this year. While scouring the net, I stumbled across this thread and was stunned by the amount of clear and precise information available!

Kudos to you tsk1979 for putting this together!

Shooting a print of the first page now!
KaushikN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 22:15   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for ^^^ advise. I think an evening at Tso Moriri would be better than going back to Tso Kar on same day...
And yes, though Tso-Moriri to Jispa would be pushing it, in light of the advise from tsk , I would go for it.
My understanding is that other than Baralacha La and its immediate aftermath - the conditions would be fairly decent?

Assuming an early start from Tso Moriri and sedate driving - hope it does not get too late in the day to cross Baralacha La? I would be averse to taking it on, when the sun starts to go down.
Tso Moriri to Jispa is doable in a day if you get an early start. Last year along with a frnd I did a Tso Moriri to Keylong in a day on my Ecosport. We didn't stop too much on the way apart from couple of tea breaks, a lunch break at Jispa & 5-6 photography breaks. This all depends on the situation of the roads though.

Last edited by highwaycruizer : 24th February 2015 at 22:23.
highwaycruizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 01:17   #803
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point me to a route/distance/time chart like the one's in the opening post for the Spiti/Kaza route and approximate time from which the route is doable (like say, mid-May to Mid June).
Old 15th March 2015, 11:31   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for ^^^ advise. I think an evening at Tso Moriri would be better than going back to Tso Kar on same day...
And yes, though Tso-Moriri to Jispa would be pushing it, in light of the advise from tsk , I would go for it.
My understanding is that other than Baralacha La and its immediate aftermath - the conditions would be fairly decent?

Assuming an early start from Tso Moriri and sedate driving - hope it does not get too late in the day to cross Baralacha La? I would be averse to taking it on, when the sun starts to go down.
As highwaycruizer pointed out, Tso Morori to Keylong is foable. We did it on bikes leaving Tso Morori at 0630 and reaching Keylong by 1800 hours. The course is barren and rocky till Tso Kar where you don't find a soul. After this the roads are good till Keylong except for a couple of small stretchs in between.
Old 16th March 2015, 11:05   #805
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Can someone point me to a route/distance/time chart like the one's in the opening post for the Spiti/Kaza route and approximate time from which the route is doable (like say, mid-May to Mid June).
I do not have a map, but this is what I know

Gramphoo to Kunzum = 4 hours (60kms). Can take more if the rivers are up. The track is really horrendous.

Kunzum Pass to Losar is about 1 hour. Again, not very good.19kms distance
Losar to Kaza things are good(relatively)
You can cover those 58kms in about 2.5 hours - 3 hours.

Now, lets talk about Kaza towards Shimla

Kaza to Tabo about 45kms takes 2 hours, sometimes less. Not bad
Tabo to Nako again is decent with 52kms being dispatched in 2 hours
Nako to spello is good, except for malling stretch, which is quite quite hair raising
About 55kms, takes you 3 hours.

Spello to Rampur is hell. Literally hell. It can take you overnight, if there is a landslide, and landslides happen here with regularity.
130kms approx, and time taken is 8 hours. This is partially due to one way restrictions.
Illegal blasting weakened the rock, and the Nation highway near Rampur on Rampur-Recong Peo route now sits under the Sutlej. So the alternate narrow bumpy hellish upper route is the one you take, and due to it being narrow, its one way with traffic being let go from either side at regular intervals.

So Rampur to Kaza which was a 12 hour run earlier now takes 15 hours.

Rampur to Delhi is around 13 hours and quite nice, unless you run into half the population of northern India trying to escape the heat in an air conditioned hotel at Shimla
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 09:38   #806
BHPian

Hi,

- going from Shimla side in mid-May'15, what are the chances of Rohtang Pass opening ? and how about Kunzum La opening ?

- if R.Pass is closed, how would be road condition from Kaza to Manali (via Anni, Khanag, Banjar, Aut)
Old 22nd March 2015, 18:13   #807
BHPian

Firstly, thank you tsk1979 for a fantastic travel guide - this has got me planning my first Leh-Ladakh drive this summer. I was planning to take my Tata Zest from Mumbai, but may end up hiring a Scorpio 4x4 from Delhi after reading your detailed insight.

We are two friends now who are confirmed, but we would like to join a group or convoy if possible. Are there any operators or websites that help in organizing such groups of travelers together?
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:16   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Firstly, thank you tsk1979 for a fantastic travel guide - this has got me planning my first Leh-Ladakh drive this summer. I was planning to take my Tata Zest from Mumbai, but may end up hiring a Scorpio 4x4 from Delhi after reading your detailed insight.

We are two friends now who are confirmed, but we would like to join a group or convoy if possible. Are there any operators or websites that help in organizing such groups of travelers together?
Thanks Surya for bringing this.

Even, I am planning my first drive to Ladakh this summer. As you have mentioned, I would like to first drive there with friends or in a convoy before taking my family.
It would be usefull if like minded members can post their plans/convoy requirements.
BTW, I do have a Scorpio 4x4. Llooking for like minded enthusiasts from Mysore/Bangalore.
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:22   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Thanks Surya for bringing this.

Even, I am planning my first drive to Ladakh this summer. As you have mentioned, I would like to first drive there with friends or in a convoy before taking my family.
It would be usefull if like minded members can post their plans/convoy requirements.
BTW, I do have a Scorpio 4x4. Llooking for like minded enthusiasts from Mysore/Bangalore.
Great, maybe we can open a new thread instead of spamming this one? Can you? I will add my plans to it & then we can see if we can synchronize.
Old 24th March 2015, 01:42   #810
BHPian

Hello BHPians,
I want your views on the following:

I am planning a trip to Leh this season. Though I would prefer a bullet, but the fact is that I don't have one. And I can't afford to shell out Rs.15K for just RENTING a bike.

SO, what I am left with is my PULSAR 200NS.

Will it handle the tough requirements of the terrain and the environment? (Many of you have been there before and might be able to visualize the scenario on Pulsar200NS).

I have had 2 trips of 1500km each (to and fro) before and the performance was good(no breakdowns or discomfort) but I am NOT sure if the bike will be able to handle Leh and beyond.

Please Help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks