Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 14:20   #826
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
What is the chance that I can do this route (either way) between Last week of-May and Mid June. Probably Kunzum is going to be inaccisible, but in that case, can one branch of from Gramphoo and visit the Chandertal and be back to Gramphoo the same day?
No chance. After Batal you would have a tough time. It depends till where has BRO reached. If they have not reached the pass, it means you have to walk to chandertall as snow clearance starts after Kunzum is fully clear.
Depending upon snow, right after Batal you may find 6-8 feet high snow piled up on the road.
For example, 2014, Kunzum was inaccessible till almost end June with Chandertal road being cleared in early July.
Old 31st March 2015, 17:35   #827
Senior - BHPian

What is the current status of the Killing Sarai Bridge? Is it permanently made OK now? Planning to ride down to Leh via Manali in September on 6-8 Harleys. Any other major river crossing en-route?
Old 31st March 2015, 20:27   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What is the current status of the Killing Sarai Bridge? Is it permanently made OK now? Planning to ride down to Leh via Manali in September on 6-8 Harleys. Any other major river crossing en-route?
Killing Sarai is no longer an issue and there was a bridge there the last ten I was there that is in August 2014. As for major water crossings there are a few but most of them are small in the morning and tend to pose a problem only in the afternoon. You might want to keep that in mind considering you are taking your Harley. Someone who has done it on a bike will be able to give better info. From the Toyota Fortuner you hardly have to worry about anything.

Last edited by Eddy : 31st March 2015 at 21:12. Reason: Tfort = Toyota Fortuner. Please avoid using acronyms for car names.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 10:53   #829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Killing Sarai is no longer an issue and there was a bridge there the last ten I was there that is in August 2014. As for major water crossings there are a few but most of them are small in the morning and tend to pose a problem only in the afternoon. You might want to keep that in mind considering you are taking your Harley. Someone who has done it on a bike will be able to give better info. From the Toyota Fortuner you hardly have to worry about anything.
Actually, that is incorrect. We do not know what is the state of the bridge because currently is buried in snow. That area is avalanche prone, and the bridge comes and goes. Nobody can predict how will it be this year. It may be fine, it may not be fine. Only when someone goes there, you would know!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 04:35   #830
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

A big heartfelt Thank you for putting this guide together. It has been of immense help to someone like me plan my pilgrimage to Leh this season.

Pardon me for a long post, but I will like to share some details first, before I seek some guidance on my this year's plan from you.

I bought myself a Scorpio VLX in Aug'09 hoping to do Leh by road soon. As luck would have had it, this car nearly did every circuit up north except for Leh. Years passed but I couldn't do Leh. A chance meeting with few friends in early Aug'13 changed my luck. 4 of us got together and did a quick marathon run Leh trip from 16th Aug'13 to 23rd Aug'13. One of us had a flight to US on 25th and hence we had to do this trip in 8 days max. So, the trip went like given in attached pdf "Leh trip 2013.pdf".

So, have been to Leh and now craving to be there again. Couldn't do in 2014 but have to do this year for sure. So, this year, have planned to get there early, like 1st week of June. I came up with the attached itinerary keeping 10 days at hand. I referred to your guide and think this plan best suits me, taking me to places that I missed the first time I had been to Leh. Please see pdf "Leh trip 2015.pdf" and also I took the liberty of mapping my travel on the Leh map provided in your guide in "blue". Refer to attachment "sid leh trip 2015 ver 1.0.jpg".

While I am sure about all the other days, its days 5 & 8 which I am a little worried about.

So, on Day 5, can one do Leh/Khardungla/Hunder/Turtuk and back to Hunder for night stay?

Similarly, on Day 8, can one do Hanle/Tso Moriri - Sarchu or will it be too much for the day and its best to omit Tso Moriri.

There will be two people in the car - me (sole driver) and my wife, who ain't an ardent traveller, but has somehow reluctantly agreed to do this trip. (I am sure she will like it when we get there). In 2013, I was the sole driver again and have no issues driving long distances every day.

Also, I hope the permit application section in "Leh Trip 2015.pdf" has all necessary sections covered for ILP to do this trip. And finally, is early June a good time to do this trip?

Any guidance/pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-sid-leh-trip-2015-ver-1.0.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Leh trip 2013.pdf (27.8 KB, 459 views)
File Type: pdf Leh trip 2015 .pdf (44.9 KB, 745 views)
Old 5th April 2015, 17:22   #831
BHPian

@sid1509
I have some queries regarding permits:
1. How long before to apply for them?
2. Where to apply?
3. Can some agent do the job for me?
4. What are the chances of getting permit to chushul, tso moriri and hanle area.

Please enlighten.

Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 20:29   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnautss View Post
@sid1509
I have some queries regarding permits:
1. How long before to apply for them?
2. Where to apply?
3. Can some agent do the job for me?
4. What are the chances of getting permit to chushul, tso moriri and hanle area.

Please enlighten.

Thanks
Hi mnautss,

My answers below:

1. You can apply for permit(s) when you get to Leh. 1st day when you reach Leh should be the "Rest" day and should be used to get permit(s), if required for one's itinerary.

2. Quoting from Tanveer's post (from the beginning of this thread)

Go to Leh DC office, fill up the form, and get it stamped. As an Indian you can get permit for upto 21 days at a stretch. Permits for some areas classified as forest require a 40rs/day fee. There are also things like green tax etc., added now and then. But all said and done, its rare for the cost of permit to cross 500rs for a couple.

To show proof of citizenship, the best document is your driving license. Other photo id like Passport photocopy is also okay because its proof of both address and identity. Always carry a few photocopies of your DL, or other govt issued document when you apply for permit.

After you get permit get around 20-30 photo copies. It will cost 50rs near the DC office where they do bulk photocopy.
34.16167, 77.58932 is the location where you can find photocopy shops near DC office.

At all check-posts you need to submit a copy and an entry is done in the register.

3. Check with the hotel/guest house/home stay option at Leh that you have chosen. They can get you permits when you get to Leh. They will charge you some fee and will require documents for applying for permit to be sent to them before hand.

4. I believe Chushul-Tsalaga-Loma-Hanle is difficult to get considering proximity to China border. One gets Tso Moriri-Mahe-Chumathang easily. But don't take my word for it; let the experts (read Tanveer and a lot many more names) who are reading this thread to guide both of us here. I will be a first timer too this time to Hanle and Tso Moriri.

What dates are you planning for?

Cheers,
Sid
Old 5th April 2015, 21:05   #833
Team-BHP Support

Please see this for permit
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post3113549 (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)

Only Hanle permit is needed on the regular circuit. Chusul etc., may be given or denied based on whims. Even after you get permit you may be sent back from Army check post.

As for Hanle to Sarchu, its a big push through Tso moriri. Tso Kar...? Maybe doable, but I would recommend this.

Hanle-Tso moriri- Tso Kar(night stay)
Tso Kar - Keylong
Keylong - Kullu
Kullu - Delhi

As for first week of June, The Manali Leh highway may not even open by then, so you may have to come back through Srinagar route.
Old 6th April 2015, 09:38   #834
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

Thanks for the great write up. We are planning to do the Leh trip in the first of July. Do you think time wise we will be okay?

Secondly we are driving down from Bangalore to Leh and Back - we have planned a total 18 days of trip with about 11 to 12 days for Delhi to Delhi (Thru Srinagar, Leh, Manali) and rest of the days for BLR to DEL and back. Is the timelines ok or too tight?

Any feedback would be very useful and apprciated.

Warm rEgards,
Johny
Old 6th April 2015, 10:53   #835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUV500_BLR View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Thanks for the great write up. We are planning to do the Leh trip in the first of July. Do you think time wise we will be okay?

Secondly we are driving down from Bangalore to Leh and Back - we have planned a total 18 days of trip with about 11 to 12 days for Delhi to Delhi (Thru Srinagar, Leh, Manali) and rest of the days for BLR to DEL and back. Is the timelines ok or too tight?

Any feedback would be very useful and apprciated.

Warm rEgards,
Johny
12 days Delhi to Delhi means you will have to be selective. Look at EX-Delhi itineraries I posted and plan accordingly
Old 6th April 2015, 11:01   #836
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanveer Sir, I read somewhere that one needs a permit to travel the Manali - Rohtang Pass road? It was mentioned that to minimize traffic in Rohtang Pass, the Local Authority has taken up this step.

Is it really so? Also, what if one has to travel from Kaza/Keylong side to Manali via Rohtang Pass? How does he get the necessary permits?

Any inputs regarding this would be really helpful !
Old 6th April 2015, 11:03   #837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Tanveer Sir, I read somewhere that one needs a permit to travel the Manali - Rohtang Pass road? It was mentioned that to minimize traffic in Rohtang Pass, the Local Authority has taken up this step.

Is it really so? Also, what if one has to travel from Kaza/Keylong side to Manali via Rohtang Pass? How does he get the necessary permits?

Any inputs regarding this would be really helpful !
If you have to cross Rohtang from Manali side here are a few things to remember
1. You need a permit, issued at Gulaba check post or green tax barrier. Best to take from green tax barrier
2. Vehicles older than 10 years are not allowed
3. There can be surprise pollution check at Vashisht.

From the other side(Khoksar), no permit required.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:29   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
12 days Delhi to Delhi means you will have to be selective. Look at EX-Delhi itineraries I posted and plan accordingly
Thanks Tanveer and what about July first week. We would be travelling from 27th June towards Delhi - will reach reach Delhi by 30th or 31st June and them mover towards Srinagar, Kargil and then reach Leh by about 6th of July. Is the timeline ok? Will the roads be open by then?

Regards,
Johny
Old 6th April 2015, 11:45   #839
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by XUV500_BLR View Post
Thanks Tanveer and what about July first week. We would be travelling from 27th June towards Delhi - will reach reach Delhi by 30th or 31st June and them mover towards Srinagar, Kargil and then reach Leh by about 6th of July. Is the timeline ok? Will the roads be open by then?

Regards,
Johny
Yes, road will be open. You will get Amarnath Yatra Rush, + some temporary closure possible due to monsoon rains. I suggest, from Delhi you take the Manali Leh highway and come back via Kashmir.
Old 7th April 2015, 00:10   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Please see this for permit
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post3113549 (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)

Only Hanle permit is needed on the regular circuit. Chusul etc., may be given or denied based on whims. Even after you get permit you may be sent back from Army check post.

As for Hanle to Sarchu, its a big push through Tso moriri. Tso Kar...? Maybe doable, but I would recommend this.

Tso Kar - Keylong
Keylong - Kullu
Kullu - Delhi

As for first week of June, The Manali Leh highway may not even open by then, so you may have to come back through Srinagar route.
Thanks Tanveer. You are right; early June, its quite possible that Leh-Manali route might not be open. If need be, I am willing to wait for 2-3 weeks as I would love to do Leh-Manali on the return leg. No Leh trip is complete without doing this iconic route. Will wait and watch till mid may on how things unfold.

As for:

Tso Kar - Keylong
Keylong - Kullu
Kullu - Delhi

this one adds one day to the itinerary. Lets see how things are on the ground when I start the return journey and decide. Thanks for these inputs. Very helpful.

Cheers,
Sid

Most Viewed