Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 15:09   #871
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Hi Guys

I could not find a dedicated track for Spiti side of things and hence the query being put here. I plan to cover the following in 9 days (last week of May/1st week of Jun):

Chandigarh to Chitkul
Chitkul to Kalpa
Kalpa to Kaza
Kaza to Chandigarh

The queries:
1. Is the road from Jeori to Chitkul to Kalpa good enough to be done in an i10? How bad are these? (Dust and Gravel but no danger to underbody OR all tarmac OR chances of underbody damage)
2. Same question but for Kalpa to Kaza

Thanks for your inputs
Old 11th May 2015, 16:16   #872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Hi Guys

I could not find a dedicated track for Spiti side of things and hence the query being put here. I plan to cover the following in 9 days (last week of May/1st week of Jun):

Chandigarh to Chitkul
Chitkul to Kalpa
Kalpa to Kaza
Kaza to Chandigarh

The queries:
1. Is the road from Jeori to Chitkul to Kalpa good enough to be done in an i10? How bad are these? (Dust and Gravel but no danger to underbody OR all tarmac OR chances of underbody damage)
2. Same question but for Kalpa to Kaza

Thanks for your inputs
Due to Road being destroyed you take an upper road. Its 20kms extra and can take 2-3 hours. This is near Tapri
Local cars do this stretch, but there are some chances of underbody hit if you are not careful.

Kalpa to Kaza is similar, with 20kms after Peo being hell. After that, its more or less okay, as long as you are careful.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 17:46   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Due to Road being destroyed you take an upper road. Its 20kms extra and can take 2-3 hours. This is near Tapri
Local cars do this stretch, but there are some chances of underbody hit if you are not careful.

Kalpa to Kaza is similar, with 20kms after Peo being hell. After that, its more or less okay, as long as you are careful.
Thanks Tanveer. So do you mean the upper road is ok, or the upper road is also a mess?
Additionally, is the detour marked or do I need exact coordinates for making the turn?

Thanks again!
Old 11th May 2015, 17:48   #874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Tanveer. So do you mean the upper road is ok, or the upper road is also a mess?
Additionally, is the detour marked or do I need exact coordinates for making the turn?

Thanks again!
The upper road is even more of a mess than what the older road was, and no detour markers needed, the lower road has ceased to exist after Sutlej level rose.
Old 11th May 2015, 23:14   #875
Senior - BHPian

Caesar stick to the main road. It may be a mess but its a more organised mess and help is always at hand. Once past Peon the roads shall be more or less Tarmac with a few broken stretches in between. The road beyond Nako while crossing Maling will once again be broken with an occasional stone in the middle. Just be careful and drive with all senses open. I would not advise an i10 over Kunzum La and suggest you return back to Chandigarh via the same route as Tabo, Nako, Peo, Rampur.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 11th May 2015 at 23:16.
Old 12th May 2015, 00:00   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Any idea about the route opening (on either sides Zojila or the Manali-Leh side). I will probably be using either of the passes on May 20-21 on the onward journey to Leh and May 26-27 for the return. The drive schedule dates are determined by school vacation timing and availability of leaves from work.
This is my plan as of now ("touch and go" at all points, will have buffer for contingencies)

Want a feedback, especially of the Passes being open.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-untitled.jpg
Old 13th May 2015, 16:33   #877

I am planning a trip to Hyderabad - Leh during the month of July. Need suggestion and guidance on the route and places to avoid and preferable places to stay on the way.
  • I will be travelling with my family (wife and 2 kids)
  • I will drive on my 3 year old XUV 500 2WD
  • I have only 2 weeks at my disposal and here is my tentative itinerary

17-Jul Friday Hyd - Nagpur
18-Jul Saturday Nagpur - Gwalior
19-Jul Sunday Gwaliar - Chandigarh
20-Jul Monday Chandigarh - Patnitop
21-Jul Tuesday Patnitop - Kargil
22-Jul Wednesday Kargil - Leh
23-Jul Thursday Leh
24-Jul Friday Leh
25-Jul Saturday Leh
26-Jul Sunday Leh
27-Jul Monday Leh - Sarchu
28-Jul Tuesday Sarchu - Manali
29-Jul Wednesday Manali - Chandigarh
30-Jul Thursday Chandigarh - Gwaliar
31-Jul Friday Gwaliar - Nagpur
1-Aug Saturday Nagpur - Hyderabad
Old 14th May 2015, 18:38   #878
BHPian

I had another query. Would anyone know what is the current state of Malling Nullah. Is it a puddle that i10 can tide over; or is it a raging stream? Or has it been tamed by a bailey bridge or something?
Old 14th May 2015, 22:01   #879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had another query. Would anyone know what is the current state of Malling Nullah. Is it a puddle that i10 can tide over; or is it a raging stream? Or has it been tamed by a bailey bridge or something?
It keeps varying. Early mornings are usually fine. But then, rainfall can aggravate it. You will get to know the status on reaching. The guy who came 5 hours before you might find it a cakewalk, and you may find it to be a raging torrent. Nobody can predict it.
Old 19th May 2015, 15:22   #880
BHPian

I am about to do this type of trip from home which is in Goa with my mate who owns the "The best hand job in town" and no not that type of hand job it's a car wash!! Anyway we are planning on doing the J&K thing over end of July into August so hope to see soem of you on the road. Long range road trips are now my thing after doing with wife and two 20+ sons 27,472 KM's right round the outside of Australia last year for 3 months. So looking forward to this I have a XUV AWD and have streel rims with MRF A/T tyres and the spare alloy wheel under so 6 wheels in all + a collection of off road recovery gear and tools etc so hoping no issues.

Ken

Mod Note: Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and the use of abusive words / photographs in posts / avatars / signatures / topics are STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th May 2015 at 07:59.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:26   #881
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on the Facebook group 'The Himalayan Club' (https://m.facebook.com/groups/48171250774).

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1432183866027.jpg
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 13:46   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Saw this on the Facebook group 'The Himalayan Club' (https://m.facebook.com/groups/48171250774).
This is a clear example of favouring Hotel Industry and Taxi Unions. The earlier timings were perfect for the tourists going from Sonmarg to Leh and returning from Leh to Sonmarg.

I don't know what a common tourist can do except for paying the exorbitant room rents at Kargil / Drass.

Do the common tourists have any other option?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 26th May 2015, 16:26   #883
BHPian

Hi all,
I am leaving for Gurgaon - Srinagar - Leh - Manali - Gurgaon on 7th June and back by 17th/18th June. Hopefully baralachala/ Leh-Manali will be open by the time I start my return journey, around 14th/15th June. Am I thinking right or it may take longer than that for this sector to be open.

Also, read about NGT dictum being upheld by SC today. Does the count of 1000 cars (600 petrol, 400 diesel) include vehicles coming from leh going to Manali also. And if yes, where do they issue the ticket/Parchi for the same and if the environmental fees will be applicable or not. I will be in a Gurgaon, private number HR 26 Scorpio brown VLX with me, wifey and 2 kids. Do I have to pay 5000 (since Scorpio is rated as a 7 seater) or 2500 (since there are only 4 passengers in it). Am thoroughly confused this time with all the news floating around. Don't wish to risk and adventure with kids in tow.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Sid
Old 29th May 2015, 16:35   #884
BHPian

Hi all,

just completed the Kinnaur & Spiti drive; below is the summary of my trip:

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-pranav-hp-done2.jpg

still need to compile a lot of data !

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 29th May 2015 at 16:42.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:24   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Does the count of 1000 cars (600 petrol, 400 diesel) include vehicles coming from leh going to Manali also. And if yes, where do they issue the ticket/Parchi for the same and if the environmental fees will be applicable or not.
I have the same question - though something I read earlier makes me want to believe this does not apply to vehicles coming from Baralacha La side.

The other question I have is ... there are rumours afoot that Zoji la is closed as of May 30, 2015 due to landslides. Has anyone any updates to share?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks