Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:54   #1006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post
2. I will be taking my Safari 4x2, I would love to save a day by doing Nubra-Pangong direct. Has anyone driven on that road recently? How is road!
I did not take the wari la or the agham shyok route but did nubra to pangong in 1 day via leh. I started at 6 from nubra was in leh at 10 and reached pangong lake spangmik by 3 to reach in time for the evening golden hour. The wari la route is no doubt beautiful but does not save much time compared to the one through leh hardly 1 hour saving. If you get definitive info on the route condition then attempt it as I have heard its quite desolate otherwise through leh should not be a problem. If there is a taxi union problem and you want to bypass leh then its another matter. Cheers and enjoy your trip.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:11   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I did not take the wari la or the agham shyok route but did nubra to pangong in 1 day via leh. I started at 6 from nubra was in leh at 10 and reached pangong lake spangmik by 3 to reach in time for the evening golden hour. The wari la route is no doubt beautiful but does not save much time compared to the one through leh hardly 1 hour saving. If you get definitive info on the route condition then attempt it as I have heard its quite desolate otherwise through leh should not be a problem. If there is a taxi union problem and you want to bypass leh then its another matter. Cheers and enjoy your trip.
Wari La is easy for a 2WD safari. Low GC vehicles may have some trouble. Its probably one of the most beautiful passes in Ladakh. you can spot wild yak and other animals too!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:14   #1008
BHPian

Hi,
I am starting on a Kanyakumari to Kashmir trip starting early morning tomorrow. Would be doing sangla spiti circuit before reaching Leh. If taxi union do not allow leh circuits, will travel to Kargil and explore other areas in Kashmir before return. Any update on the taxi union status or on the trip will be deeply appreciated.
Old 7th August 2015, 10:05   #1009
BHPian

A friend who is traveling in the area just returned to Leh after being stuck in Hunder and Khalsar in Nubra Valley. Both towns are destroyed /roads completed gone after flash floods. They had to camp somewhere and then rescued by army and had to walk 8 Km to reach a motorable road. Mobile towers etc are also damaged. Friend also informed that road to Pangong and Manali are damaged due to landslides.
ashwinsid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 12:29   #1010

I just returned from a trip to Leh.
Your detailed schematic map was a lot of help.
We used the distance/hours that you had charted as a basis to plan our itinerary and we referred to your map throughout the trip.

Thank you for all the hard work.

One thing I would like to point out: The direct road from Nubra to Pangong (Agham - Shyok - Durbuk) though it exists; it is advised not to take that road. We asked many people (locals as well as taxi/truck drivers) as we had planned to drive directly from Nubra to Pangong Tso. But as everyone advised against it we decided to do Nubra - Leh, Leh - Pangong; staying overnight in Leh.

-utpal
Old 7th August 2015, 16:13   #1011
BHPian

Just back from the trip of my dreams. Covered Hanle and the observatory. Hanle is such a magical place - far far away from the crowded tourist spots. Thanks for suggesting Hanle in your post - its straight out of some dreamy alien place you can picture in your head.

I had the opportunity to stay overnight at Padma Guest house at Hanle and it was a delightful experience! Mr. Sonam Dorjee was extremely warm and friendly and wonderful homely food made the experience all the more special.

Quick update - BSNL postpaid numbers will WORK at Hanle (Kaldo Village to be precise). If you have the spare time, Hanle is a must visit on your list. Just make sure you have permits to visit this place.
vsathyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 16:58   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian

Wari LA update

Regarding few questions regarding Wari LA route, I would like to update that the route remains closed.

I am in Leh currently and on discussing with taxi drivers and tour operators came to know that the route has been closed for most days these days.

With frequent rains these season authorities have their hands full with landslides and this route is given least priority.

It is best to avoid any plans involving this route.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 08:34   #1013
RCD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
TheDesertRat: Thanks for the updates. There was a lot of confusion these past few days regarding private cars plying in Ladakh region.

Had a couple of queries to you all. We are 6 guys planning to go in a Xylo E8 travelling from Bangalore to Ladakh. We got around 22 days in hand.

1. 6 guys in a Xylo, is it feasible. The guys know that its not a luxury cruise and ready to bear the brunt. We are carrying minimal luggage and have a roof rack on the car. Have done trips to Goa, Ooty, Kerala, Hyderabad etc with 7 guys without any issues or discomfort.

2. We are planning to leave on 22nd August and be back by 12th Sept. Need some help in planning the route from Bangalore to Srinagar side and then will be getting down from Manali-Dehradun-Delhi-Ajmer-Mumbai and back to Bangalore.

Please share your inputs accordingly. Thanks again.
I recently drove from Bangalore to Ladakh and back. We left on 16th of July and returned on 4th August. I stopped first near Nagpur ( 1000 km from Bangalore) . If you leave Bangalore by 4 am you should have lunch after the Hyderabad bypass and reach Nagpur by 7 pm. My next stop was Agra. The roads in MP are superb with very little traffic, however once you get into UP not only do the roads deteriorate, but also traffic increases considerably. We next went to Amritsar ( a bit of a detour from Pathankot) as we wanted to see the Attari-Wagah border, Golden Temple and Jalianwala baug . Next stop was Patni Top. We got held up in Srinagar 3 days as the road to Sonamarg was closed. Chose to stay on a houseboat on the Nigeen lake which is more or less on the direct route to Sonamarg as you pass from Jammu through Srinagar. Next you can stop at Kargil and then a Leh.
6 in a car will certainly be uncomfortable on the bad patches of road. It will also make it difficult for the car to climb. But I guess its doable. You have plenty of time, but the roads have got further damaged in the last 2 weeks, so expect some setbacks and be prepared with contingent plans and alternate routes.
RCD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:16   #1014
RCD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Considering the recent trouble I believe permits for hanle might be not that easy to obtain. You can instead include Nubra/Tso morari in your trip. From pangong either stay at chumatang then tso morari and onwards to sarchu/jispa. Or you can go first to nubra then pangong via wari la and then back from Chang la to manali highway. This is what I have understood from what I gave read recently. I did the normal tourist circuit (pangong and nubra) in 2011 and at that time these roads were mostly 4*4 territory. Bon voyage.
I had driven to Ladakh leaving Bangalore 16th July 2015 and returning on 4th August. I went up by the Srinagar-Leh route and returned by the Leh-Manali route.

The Srinagar-Leh road is in far better shape than the Manali-Leh route. Especially the descent from Rohtang pass ( driving from Manali-Leh ) will be time consuming and bone shaking because of the terrible road condition on the Leh side of Rohtang pass.

Your initial itinerary seems fine. At Jispa we stayed at a new hotel ( 1 month old ) called Yak. Its on the highway and since its new its very clean with large comfortable rooms. You may want to try it out as it will probably cost less than the other more established hotels in Jispa.

I don't know if you are aware that the route from Pangong to Hanle is mostly a dirt path rather than a road. My GPS ( Map my India ) had the route, but I did not try it as I had not taken the permissions required.

Don't understand why you are not going to Nubra ( Hunder ) for the double humped camels and the ride over Khardungla ( highest pass at 18500 ft aprox.)

My suggestion would be from Leh go to Nubra & then to Pangong ( if the route from Agham has opened up by then. Else, you do TsoKar & Tso Moriri on your way up from Manali ( provided you are carrying enough of fuel, because there is no fuel till you reach Karu ( 20 km from Leh) as both these roads are in fairly decent condition rather than risk getting lost going cross country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post
Thanks for your reply. However I was asking about the direct route from Nubra to Pangong, i.e. Diskit-Wari la-Shakti – Chang La – Durbuk – Tanksey – Lukung – Pangong Tso. Has anyone traveled that route recently?
I had wanted to take either of the two Nubra - Pangong Tso routes from Agham ( Shyok or Zingral ) on 25th July 2015, but both the roads were closed at the time.

Since then I have heard that all rivers in the region like Indus and Shyok are over the danger mark, so be prepared with alternate routes, if this is not feasible.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th August 2015 at 16:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 11th August 2015, 18:06   #1015
BHPian

Hi I am planning a trip to Leh in my own car around Mid September. I am worried about two things:
1. Are private vehicles still being threatened and not allowed around Leh. I read that if you can prove the ownership of the vehicle you are safe. Is this true?
2. I plan to drive my XUV from Manali and come back from the Srinagar route. The tyres are almost on half their tread depth. Is it advisable to go ahead with the same tyres or not.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:19   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
Hi I am planning a trip to Leh in my own car around Mid September. I am worried about two things:
1. Are private vehicles still being threatened and not allowed around Leh. I read that if you can prove the ownership of the vehicle you are safe. Is this true?
2. I plan to drive my XUV from Manali and come back from the Srinagar route. The tyres are almost on half their tread depth. Is it advisable to go ahead with the same tyres or not.
There was a limit on the number of diesel vehicles that are allowed to cross Rohtang Pass. Unless this has changed, it would be a better idea to drive to Leh via Srinagar and return via Manali.

Private vehicles are allowed, it shouldn't be a problem if the car is in your name.
kk21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 16:07   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
There was a limit on the number of diesel vehicles that are allowed to cross Rohtang Pass. Unless this has changed, it would be a better idea to drive to Leh via Srinagar and return via Manali.

Private vehicles are allowed, it shouldn't be a problem if the car is in your name.
That's what the Taxi Unions in Manali started doing, in order to get past the restrictions on the number of diesel vehicles allowed to go to Rohtang for sight seeing they would get affidavits or forms signed by the tourists mentioning that they are going to Leh, they would spend the whole day around Rohtang pass and then return the same evening saying that the tourists health deteriorated and they couldnt continue with the journey.

The car is in my Wife's name and she would be accompanying me. I think that's not going to be a problem.
The only thing I am now worried about is the tyre tread.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:09   #1018
AMT
BHPian

Planning to leave this weekend from Delhi, via Srinagar.

Proposed itinerary:

Day 1: Delhi to Patnitop
Day 2: Patnitop to Sonamarg via Srinagar
Day 3: Sonamarg to Kargil
Day 4: Kargil to Leh
Day 5: Leh to Nubra
Day 6: Nubra to Karu/Leh
Day 7: Karu/Leh to Pangong
Day 8: Pangong to Leh
Day 9: Leh to Tso Moriri
Day 10 Tso Moriri to Sarchu
Day 11: Sarchu to Manali
Day 12: Manali to Delhi

Driving a 4x4 private registered vehicle from Delhi.

Given the time, is the itinerary a bit optimistic or manageable with ease?

Also, given the rains and other conditions in J&K should we factor in a couple of days as buffer?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:03   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT View Post
Planning to leave this weekend from Delhi, via Srinagar.

Given the time, is the itinerary a bit optimistic or manageable with ease?

Also, given the rains and other conditions in J&K should we factor in a couple of days as buffer?

Any help is much appreciated.
Seems very doable, if all goes well.

Rains/Slides/Broken bridges/Accidents/Chakka jam - these are some of the reasons that can cause stoppages or delays. So it's always a good idea to factor in a day or two as buffer.
Old 13th August 2015, 00:37   #1020

@ desert rat/ Hi Saurab

In yout recent post of yoir trip to leh area you have mentioned in point 9 the following

"9. Leh to Nubra - Good roads. The ascent to Khardung la is really bad. There are/were at least 5-6 tricky patches. DO NOT attempt this if you are a first timer on a low slung car."

I intend to take my xuv500 AWD. So Will you consider it low slung cg car or will be able to make it through the aboved stretch mentioned by you.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds DS.

Most Viewed