Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 11:04   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardil View Post
"9. Leh to Nubra - Good roads. The ascent to Khardung la is really bad. There are/were at least 5-6 tricky patches. DO NOT attempt this if you are a first timer on a low slung car."
I had taken Leh - Kardung La last week in a taxi (Scorpio), since I own an XUV and plan to drive this route myself sometime later I was noticing the road bit keenly.

It is possible to take this road in XUV, infact there were quiet few hatches (Santro's, Maruti 800's) which were taking this route. As mentioned earlier, there are a handful of water crossings where you need to be cautious.

Here too, it the water is not deep, however there are bigger pebbles and stones laid to avoid water eroding the road surface. Hence you need to navigate in such a way that the stones does not end up hitting under-body.

Passengers in hatches driven by locals gets out of vehicle around here to aid in taking the sections easily.

I had earlier heard comments that post Kardung La roads are better. However, due to landslide past Khalsar roads to Nubra was closed, hence we turned back from Kardung La.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2015, 11:31   #1022
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, apologies for posting in this thread as all my queries are related to Spiti and not to Ladakh. I had posted my queries in the Lahaul and Spiti route query thread, however did not get any help there so reposting the plan with some changes.

I need some help and suggestions in planning a trip to Spiti valley in Sept 2015. We will be four people on motorcycles but sadly have just 1 week (6th-12th Sept) to explore the place.

5th: Delhi - Kalka

We can only afford a evening start from Delhi, so planning to ride upto Kalka for the night.

6th: Kalka - Chail - Theog - Narkanda - Sarahan - Karcham - Kalpa

Planning to start very early morning from Kalka and stay at Kalpa or Recong Peo after seeing the Chail Palace and Bhimakali Temple.

7th: Kalpa - Nako - Gyu Monastery - Tabo

Plans to visit the monasteries en route and hit Tabo by dusk as I have heard the roads are fairly bad in this stretch.

Any accommodation options in Dhankar?

8th: Tabo - Dhankar - Mud (Pin Valley) - Kaza

Planning to visit the Monasteries and the Pin valley and ride to Kaza for the night. Possible to cover Hikkim and Komic as well?

9th: Kaza - Tashijong - Kibber - Rangrik - Losar - Chandratal

Planning to visit the monasteries and gompas around Kaza and camp the night at Chandratal.

10th: Chandratal - Manali - Kasol

11th: Kasol - Manikaran - Bajaura - Parashar Lake - Mandi

12th: Mandi - Delhi

Alternatively, is it advisable to do the following route from Chandratal:

10th: Chandratal - Chhatru - Tandi - Udaipur

Accommodation options in Udaipur?

11th: Udaipur - Sach Pass - Bairagarh

Accommodation options in Bairagarh?

12th: Bairagarh - Jalandhar - Ambala - Delhi

This will be my first trip to Spiti so I have zilch knowledge about the road conditions and if I will be able to cover the distances as planned.

So need the inputs of the fellow travellers and bhpians.

Apologies for so many queries, requesting suggestions for the itinerary. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by //M : 13th August 2015 at 11:34.
Old 13th August 2015, 12:59   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardil View Post
@ desert rat/ Hi Saurab

In yout recent post of yoir trip to leh area you have mentioned in point 9 the following

"9. Leh to Nubra - Good roads. The ascent to Khardung la is really bad. There are/were at least 5-6 tricky patches. DO NOT attempt this if you are a first timer on a low slung car."

I intend to take my xuv500 AWD. So Will you consider it low slung cg car or will be able to make it through the aboved stretch mentioned by you.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds DS.
Definitely doable in the XUV. However, I am not sure of the current weather conditions. If you go by the news reports and the amount of rains/landslides this year, roads seem to be deteriorating. I would play it by the ear. Speak to the local taxi drivers/hotel travel desk and they should be able to provide you with a more accurate information.
Old 13th August 2015, 14:43   #1024
YCJ
BHPian

I am planning a road trip to Leh and hence I want to know:
1) Are there any stretches which could not be done even with a proper 4x4 vehicle?
2) How many days would ideally be required to reach Leh from Pune? I plan to go via Srinagar and return via Manali.
Old 14th August 2015, 11:07   #1025
BHPian

Re: HP Petrol Pump opened at highest motorable road in Leh

Hi,

September 1st week I'm travelling LEH – Hunder – Sumur (Halt) – Shyok - Pangong (Halt) – LEH on bike (RE 500cc).

Total distance would be around 750kms,Where can I find fuel pumps with confirmed fuel availability on the way apart from LEH ?
We will fill full tank and carry two 5 litres of fuel containers.Assuming 25Kmpl is the mileage , we might require at least 30 litres but we will have 14 litres in tank+ 10 litres extra.
Old 14th August 2015, 11:19   #1026
Senior - BHPian

For the bikers who have done the LEH what would be a good two wheeler to rent.

1) Classic500/350
2) Thunderbird 500/350
3) Impulse

Iam sure everyone who comes to LEH does it on a Bullet. But how would the impulse fair in these conditions.
Old 14th August 2015, 11:32   #1027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
September 1st week I'm travelling LEH – Hunder – Sumur (Halt) – Shyok - Pangong (Halt) – LEH on bike (RE 500cc).
Apart from Leh the only confirmed open bunk is at Karu. Since you are planning to take Shyok route it will not be coming on your route to Pangong.

Best option would be to carry additional cans from Leh.

Also, Shyok route is closed as of now. Do check the same before your start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
For the bikers who have done the LEH what would be a good two wheeler to rent.
We came across a biker from Karnataka during our trip to Leh last week. He was riding from KA till Leh and doing Kardung La and Chang La in his Bajaj Discover.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 18:08   #1028
YCJ
BHPian

I am planning a road trip to Leh and hence I want to know:
1) Are there any stretches which could not be done even with a proper 4x4 vehicle like the new 2015 Ford Endeavour?
2) How many days would ideally be required to reach Leh from Pune? I plan to go via Srinagar and return via Manali.
Old 14th August 2015, 20:46   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Few updates based on my Srinagar - Leh trip last week.

Onward journey was via flight till Srinagar (01 AUG)and return, flight from Leh (09 AUG).

Srinagar - Sonamarg route - No issues. Good surface, there are few locations where there was landslide some 3 weeks back. Bit of rough patches there.

Sonamarg - Zozila : Unpaved roads at many locations. Two way traffic allowed for cars all times. Trucks have time restrictions. Apart from muddy (unpaved ) road, no worries. Attaching image of bad sections to get an idea.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-suh_3207.jpg

Zozila - Kargil: Good to great roads, no worries. Stopped at Kargil war memorial enroute.We did till Kargil from Srinagar on one day in taxi.

Kargil war memorial - Dras: Soon after Dras. Also wanted to add, there is an ATM at Dras and also in war memorial campus.

Had read good reviews about war memorial canteen, however found food (Idli and noodles were the items available) to be bad.

DO NOTE: It is not allowed to enter memorial if you are wearing shorts or slippers. My friend traveling along with me was turned back due to this. He was however able to put pants in car and return. However, saw few ladies waiting outside unable to get it.

At Kargil stayed at Zozjila residency, located about half KM ahead of Hotel D'Zojila. As per taxi driver, both hotels belong to same person.Clean rooms and good restaurant. Price for 2 bed room with additional bed - 3000 per night.

Kargil - Mulbekh: Road is rough and muddy. However, nothing to worry ground clearance wise.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-suh_3293.jpg

Mulbekh- Leh: Good roads overall. Absolute delight.

Leh- Kardung La: Due to landslide around Khalsar we cut short our Nubra trip to Kardung La. Again, muddy unpaved roads. However, apart from couple of water crossings no issues. Water crossings too are not that deep when we crossed in morning. Just that you should be careful when navigating. Saw M800 and Santros doing the same without issues.Attaching pic of worst section.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-suh_3662.jpg

Leh - Pangong Pso : Good to OK roads. Bikers be careful since there are many places with mud and loose sand on road. Took us around 5.5 hours one side. Bad section is limited around Chang La only. Again, nothing to worry ground clearance wise.

NOTE: At Pangong, there is a army maintained restroom as soon as you enter the lake area. Though we did not use it, felt it better maintained from outside. The other option is to use restaurant restrooms which are in bad shape.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-suh_3897.jpg

Taxi Union : Since we were in Leh taxi, did not face any issues. However saw couple of DL registered bikers turned back after an argument just before Karu police checkpost. Similarly, saw another 'check post' few KM's before south Pullu police check post on Kardung La route. Leh taxis are getting a receipt from taxi stand and handing it over to these guys, not sure if any money is paid for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCJ View Post
Are there any stretches which could not be done even with a proper 4x4 vehicle like the new 2015 Ford Endeavour?.
Nothing in Srinagar - Kargil - Leh - Kardung La and Leh - Pangong Pso section.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 21:06   #1030
YCJ
BHPian

Ok thanks.
And one more question, how many days would be required to reach Leh from Pune with night driving prohibited. Only up to 8 pm daily starting at about 6 am.
Old 16th August 2015, 08:08   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
Hi I am planning a trip to Leh in my own car around Mid September. I am worried about two things:
1. Are private vehicles still being threatened and not allowed around Leh. I read that if you can prove the ownership of the vehicle you are safe. Is this true?
2. I plan to drive my XUV from Manali and come back from the Srinagar route. The tyres are almost on half their tread depth. Is it advisable to go ahead with the same tyres or not.
I went in my XUV (AWD) in late June and had no taxi driver issues that to on Goa plates and in my wifes name (me Brit wife Indian). I had new MRF A/T tyres on steel rims (alloys on OEM tyres at home) ther were a few places that I felt that on standard tyres grip would have been an issue. I had gone loaded for bear as they say winch, chain and strops tools etc. On weigh bridge on the highway she came in at 2460 KGS all up.
Only issue with driving on the high passes was pulling away from standstill on rough roads going up steep part, that was a low rpm no pulling power so get rpm's to about 2500 and dont let it drop below 2000 or it just bogged down. On tarmac try to keep above 1800 so the turbo is there if you drop off boost then you are changing down to get back to 1800+, other then that she was fine even overnight at teh lake at 4200 meters and minus -2 deg c in teh mourning started with now issues did sound like a tractor to start with but withing 30 secs settled down and ticked over to warm up fine. We went Srinager-leh manali
So enjoy the fun as we did.
KEN-RAND is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 12:36   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN-RAND View Post
I went in my XUV (AWD) in late June and had no taxi driver issues that to on Goa plates and in my wifes name (me Brit wife Indian). I had new MRF A/T tyres on steel rims (alloys on OEM tyres at home) ther were a few places that I felt that on standard tyres grip would have been an issue. I had gone loaded for bear as they say winch, chain and strops tools etc. On weigh bridge on the highway she came in at 2460 KGS all up.
Only issue with driving on the high passes was pulling away from standstill on rough roads going up steep part, that was a low rpm no pulling power so get rpm's to about 2500 and dont let it drop below 2000 or it just bogged down. On tarmac try to keep above 1800 so the turbo is there if you drop off boost then you are changing down to get back to 1800+, other then that she was fine even overnight at teh lake at 4200 meters and minus -2 deg c in teh mourning started with now issues did sound like a tractor to start with but withing 30 secs settled down and ticked over to warm up fine. We went Srinager-leh manali
So enjoy the fun as we did.
Thanks for the advise Ken. How many underbody hits did the XUV take (If there were any). Currently the dates for the trip are not finalized, The plan is either to start on the 11th Sept or the 18th. My OEM tyres have done 12.5K and 3/4th on the tread depth is still left and I am planning on gettin Leh'd on those stock tyres. Will it be a major issue? I inquired about Maxxis A/T Tyres but have not finalized if I want to fit those on just for the trip.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:15   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I need some help and suggestions in planning a trip to Spiti valley in Sept 2015. We will be four people on motorcycles but sadly have just 1 week (6th-12th Sept) to explore the place.

5th: Delhi - Kalka

7th: Kalpa - Nako - Gyu Monastery - Tabo

8th: Tabo - Dhankar - Mud (Pin Valley) - Kaza

9th: Kaza - Tashijong - Kibber - Rangrik - Losar - Chandratal

10th: Chandratal - Manali - Kasol

11th: Kasol - Manikaran - Bajaura - Parashar Lake - Mandi

12th: Mandi - Delhi
Any inputs on this query? Planning the same with my Safari Storme 2wd, 75k done. Any pointers/help would be much appreciated.
Is there any map of petrol pumps, accomodation, restaurants, etc. like the one we have for Leh circuit?
Any inputs with regards to a 2 year old daughter would also be welcome.

Last edited by stormerider : 17th August 2015 at 15:18.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:43   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Any inputs with regards to a 2 year old daughter would also be welcome.
I will only respond to this bit.

In spite of several people having traveled to High Altitude Places with young children, successfully, you should be aware that young children are MORE susceptible to Altitude Sickness than adults or older children. The problem is further compounded by the fact, that since young children cannot communicate clearly, you may interpret the first warning signs as general irritability, hunger etc.
Moreover, some of the stretches that you plan on doing, are devoid of medical facilities, and should any need crop up, you will find yourself at a significant disadvantage.
I humbly suggest that you do this trip alone or with friends, leaving your child behind at home, and if that isn't possible, ask yourself, what have you got to lose by waiting around 3-4 more years?
roy_libran is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 16:27   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

Planning to start very early morning from Kalka and stay at Kalpa or Recong Peo after seeing the Chail Palace and Bhimakali Temple.

This will be my first trip to Spiti so I have zilch knowledge about the road conditions and if I will be able to cover the distances as planned.
I can help you a bit on road conditions till Kalpa.

I travelled this month till Kalpa (Took Chandigarh - Shimla - Narkanda - Sarahan - Karcham - Kalpa). Roads are wonderful apart from few slushy patches which is due to the constant falling rocks.

Also please note that the direct route to Kalpa from Karcham is now diverted. It adds up additional approx 25kms since the route climbs an entire mountain and then gets down. Roads are quite narrow here in this route. The reason for direct road being closed is due to the constant landslides and road being washed away.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 17th August 2015 at 16:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks