Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 14:36   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
ing this trip with my parents and few friends. My father is 63 years old and my mother is 52 years old. They will fly from Hyd to Srinagar and join me there. While returning, they will take a flight from Chandigarh to Hyd. I want to know if they can really make it to those places I have mentioned in the Itinerary keeping in mind of their age?
You have spent enough time acclimatizing. So if your parents are comfortable during the Hunder leg, it should be fine. If they are too cold at Lukung, consider staying at tangste. Tangste also as A grade medical facilities with oxygen etc., for emergencies

Quote:
2. Does my itinerary seems to be doable? Or is it far away from reality keeping in mind of the road conditions and weather.?
Leh leg is fine. Weather nobody can predict

Quote:
3. Out of the Night stays I have planned, are there any places where there are no decent hotels available and only tents available? Because I need decent hotels at every night stay I have planned mainly because I want my parents to rest properly. I will do an advance booking prior going.
No problems

Quote:
4. No offense to the Hyundai I 20 owners but I want to know if the vehicle can do the entire circuit? I am concerned as the vehicle is very new.
Sump guard is a must

Quote:
5. I am leaving Hunder and returning to Leh instead of going to Sumur just to save few days. How is Sumur? Is it worth it?
You can skip it. Or you can visit Sumur and then go to Leh

Quote:
6. How are the road conditions to Karzok from Pangong Tso? Is it worth it with my parents? How are the accommodation facilities in Karzok?
Yes there are. Road is mostly decent. However last 15 kms to Korzok may not be tarred

Quote:
7. Can we hire bikes from Srinagar? If not then can you all tell me the closest place to Srinagar that good bikes can be hired for the trip. Can I get few contacts of the people who rent out good bikes for the trip.
No idea
Quote:
8. Finally the itinerary seems to be slightly longer. If I need to cut it down then suggest me which place can I give a miss keeping in mind of all the factors like road conditions, stay facilities and ofcourse the beauty.?
You can skip Tso moriri, or do Hunder to Pangong direct, but its going to be a long drive

Quote:
9. Just read a blog on this forum which states taxi mafia is now demanding that the Private vehicles as well as rental bikes may be banned. Now I am very skeptical about the whole thing especially with my parents with me and one of the three friends being a girl.

Thank you all. :-)
No problem for own private vehicle. Only self drive rentals have a problem.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 19:35   #1127
BHPian

Excellent compilation. Rated 5 stars. It has all the info which I needed to know before traveling to this challenging terrain and getting to know about the place before hand.

My trip is planned from 28th May - 10th June (with 11th June as buffer). Attached is the itinerary we plan to follow. It will be helpful if someone can answer the below queries of mine.

1. What is the current condition of route (or last year) from Agham to Pangong via Shyok? Is it same as mentioned on 1st page written during 2013 or there's any improvement in last 3 years (we will be traveling on bike)?

2. Are there any stay options at Agham/Wari La/Sarkti? (Purpose is to break the journey as Hunder to Lukung/Pangong Tso via Wari La is 10 hour journey)

3. Please share (if available) contact info for home stays or hotels at below locations:
a. Leh
b. Hundur
c. Pangong/Tangste
d. Nyoma
e. Tso Kar
f. Jispa
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Ladakh_Itinerary.xlsx (30.0 KB, 541 views)
Old 18th April 2016, 14:19   #1128
Team-BHP Support

Rohtang is going to be one way. I have added a section to opening post which gives important news. If you have news worthy article or information, please report the opening post so it can be updated with live information
Old 19th April 2016, 23:34   #1129
BHPian

Hi All,
The last time i had been to Leh was in 2012 and have finally decided to visit again by second week of May.
The issue at hand : I have a sedan (Corolla Altis AT) and was wondering if i can drive it down to Leh via Srinagar and hire a local cab from Leh for local trips.

Views sought :
I realize its not recommended to take a sedan, however during my last road trip i saw all kinds of vehicles (sedans / hatchbacks et all) making it to Leh, so is it really that impractical?

Alternatively, I can fly down to Srinagar and hire a cab from there for the trip too..... just that it takes away the thrill of not having driven for most of the trip (Me & my wife love driving ourselves) !

pls do let me know your views on the road condition and practicality of taking a sedan till Leh from Srinagar so that i plan my trip accordingly.

regards
Sid

P.S. - incase i have posted this in the wrong thread, pls excuse and move it to the rightful thread, thanks again
Old 20th April 2016, 13:39   #1130
RCD
BHPian

Dear Sudeep,

The million $ question with your plan is what you have stated in the begining " the roads may not be open". It could be very frustrating getting stuck en-route, and so I would suggest you put off the trip unless the roads open before you set out.

Your route while going is quite OK. You may prefer to stay at Amritsar and see the Golden Temple + the daily changing of the guard at the Wagah border. The latter takes place at about 5 pm, so you need to plan to reach Amritsar by lunch time.

Your return route is somewhat similar to the one I took while going last year. Except that I went from Bangalore-Hyderabad ( stopped overnight at Nagpur ) and then drove on till Agra via Sagar . I don't know how good the road via Bidar is . The one from Nagpur to Bangalore is truly outstanding, and well worth doing. You can drive fast and yet be totally safe as there is virtually no traffic on the road.

wish you all the best,

RCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Folks,

Here is my trip plan to Ladakh. I am planning the trip in May as i have some commitments from June onwards.
I know that the roads might not be open. Planning to go and come back via Srinagar. Seeing the news reports, hope the Srinagar route is open in May.
Do let me know your thoughts and comments.
I will be driving my Scorpio 4WD from Bangalore. As of now, i am solo traveller and looking for bhpians who can join me anywhere enroute either in my car or as a convoy.

Thanks,
Sudeep
Old 20th April 2016, 14:12   #1131
RCD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Hello All. Need help with the itinerary for the Hyd - Srinagar - Leh - Manali - Hyd trip which I have planned in the early fourth week of July 2016.

Dear Ani0404,

Am going to respond to your questions in order :

1. Age : I was 51 when I drove from Bangalore to Ladakh and back last year. One of my fellow passengers was pushing 70, and his wife was in her mid 60's. But both of them were reasonably fit and had no problems what so ever.

2. Seems doable. You may have to make changes because some road or the other might get closed, so have an overall understanding of the area and the routes ( which you seem to have done already) . Always have a plan B up your sleeve.

3. Accomodation at Pangong is mostly tents. I saw some hotel like place under construction last year. Perhaps its ready now.

4. Locals drive up in Alto's and we tourist types are unable to keep up with them even in more powerful cars. So its not so much the car as the driver that is important.

5. Sorry, not been there myself so cant comment.

6. There is a path from Pangong Tso to Karzok ( Tso Moriri ). Its very doable. Only problem is some people say you need special permits and others say you dont. We did not have the permit, so had to double back almost to Leh from Pangong before heading to Tso Moriri. There will be no place to refuel between Leh and almost Manali so you will need to carry extra fuel.

7. No idea about renting bikes. But if you rent a bike at Srinagar, how can you go back from Manali ?

8. Only suggestions would be stop only at Drass or Kargil. Not both. Preferably Kargil as there is more to see there.

9. The Ladakhis are very hospitable people, and traveling with a girl/lady is not a problem at all. The taxi unions are against the Zoom-Car type ( self driven taxis ). They cannot and do not object to self dpriven private vehicles ( white number plates ).

10. Last week of July however is a bad time to drive to Ladakh. I did that last year, and was stuck at Srinagar for 3 nights because a bridge near Sonamarg had got washed away in a cloud burst. It will be better to go in June before the rains reach north India, or else in September when rains will be over and roads too will be in better condition. Also in July and August hotels will be more difficult as the Amarnath yatri happens in these 2 months. There is also a lot more traffic till just before Zozilla pass ( between Sonamarg and Drass ) because of the yatris.

wish you all the best,

start early and drive carefully and all should be well.

regards,

RCD

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2016 at 22:23. Reason: Reduced quote length
RCD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 22:43   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You have spent enough time acclimatizing. So if your parents are comfortable during the Hunder leg, it should be fine. If they are too cold at Lukung, consider staying at tangste. Tangste also as A grade medical facilities with oxygen etc., for emergencies.
Thankyou TSK1979 for all the information. First of all I would like to thank wholeheartedly for posting such an exhaustive information about Leh-Ladakh trip. I guess a person need not refer to any other material before planning the trip. It was really very helpful for me for referring to various doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCD View Post
wish you all the best,

start early and drive carefully and all should be well.

regards,

RCD
Thank you RCD for answering all my questions patiently.

I am glad that people of that age are making it.

Yes, I will keep the plan very open and flexible.

Will look for the new hotel which you are mentioning or else will stay in Tangste.

Okay will check for the sump guard for the I20 as mentioned by TSK1979.

Will find out more about this road from Spangmik to Karzok. Yes I am planning to carry a 25 liter Jerry can for fuel.

As far the bikes are concerned, I have come across few people who claim that the bikes can be rented from one place and then left at the other and the renting companies have tie ups among them. So wanted to know how genuine the information is and if possible any contact from the members who have already used such services.

No No. I wont be staying in Drass. Planning to start early from Srinagar and reach Kargil before the gates close. I have another question here. Can a tell me where exactly the gates are located and the closing timings.

That is great to know that there would not be problem to private vehicles. Yes I have a nice good white looking number plate.

I completely agree RCD that the time I have chosen is not completely correct but I have fixed leaves and cannot alter/advance/postpone and this would be second last time that I would be getting leave for 26 days at a stretch. Next would be in January 2017 (The roads will be completely closed). Post this, I am sure I might not get such leaves even for my wedding. So the plan of this trip would be out of question for good number years to come till I retire. The next important thing is that I want my parents to experience the trip. Unfortunately they did not get enough chances to travel. So a small effort from my side to make the most of what I have.

Will still keep in mind of all the situations like weather etc and take a call accordingly. But as few say one should be destined to do few things.. So lets see where and how destiny and fate unwrap themselves.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 15:32   #1133
BHPian

Hello All,
Planning to ride to Ladhak this year. Planned route is Delhi - Ambala - Amritsar - Jammu - Srinagar - Sonmarg - Kargil - Leh - Pangong Tso - Nubra - Leh - Sarchu - Keylong - Manali - Shimla - Delhi. Will have three rest days in between.

Dates are July 7th to 24th.

All of us are from Bangalore. Will send the bikes to Delhi by train and vice versa on return.

Need advise on the following :
1. Are two wheelers allowed to cross Zozila pass any time of the day or are there any specific timeslots ( if there are any, what are those?)

2. Will July be the beginning of rainy season in that region.

3. Will the roads be better in July ( compared to May / June) ?
Old 27th April 2016, 14:41   #1134
BHPian

Tanveer sir ,

Planning Ladakh again , duration 24 days approx , start time last week of sept . Vehicle :Logan .

Planning mainly hanle, photi la , zanskar , korzok and chumagthang . Will be in zanskar around mid october and exiting the region eventually via Kargil after that .Wanted to know if roads will be a worry with the onset of winter . What about snowfall during end september on the Leh- Manali Highway and later on in early-mid Oct around Hanle , Korzok , Zanskar

Regards

Sumit
Old 27th April 2016, 14:48   #1135
BHPian

Reported Post

I went to Sonamarg from Srinagar on 14th April,2016 during my Kashmir road trip from Kolkata. The Leh road was closed and I was not allowed to go to Baltal Valley as well. Heard from the J&K Police official that the Leh road should be open by May first week.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 27th April 2016 at 14:53. Reason: Use reply button instead of report button.
Old 27th April 2016, 14:53   #1136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Tanveer sir ,

Planning Ladakh again , duration 24 days approx , start time last week of sept . Vehicle :Logan .

Planning mainly hanle, photi la , zanskar , korzok and chumagthang . Will be in zanskar around mid october and exiting the region eventually via Kargil after that .Wanted to know if roads will be a worry with the onset of winter . What about snowfall during end september on the Leh- Manali Highway and later on in early-mid Oct around Hanle , Korzok , Zanskar

Regards

Sumit
Going by historic evidence, you can expect one short snowfall spell 2-3 inches sometime after 15th october. With a sedan, you may be in for a tough time. That said, the highway is kept open well into november.

Your only worry is the Zanskar leg.

Of course, it can snow in september also, which means you waste a day. Till end october, roads are cleared with gusto so no chance of getting stuck. In Zanskar, keep an eye on the weather systems. If possible, import snow cables(designed for cars) from usa. They cost 50$/pair and they would mean you don't have to worry about light snowfall at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
I went to Sonamarg from Srinagar on 14th April,2016 during my Kashmir road trip from Kolkata. The Leh road was closed and I was not allowed to go to Baltal Valley as well. Heard from the J&K Police official that the Leh road should be open by May first week.
Official date is 29th April. So tourist traffic should start after that.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th April 2016 at 14:54.
Old 1st May 2016, 21:02   #1137
BHPian

Any idea about the dates on open of Manali - Leh highway?
Old 5th May 2016, 11:42   #1138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Hello All,
Planning to ride to Ladhak this year. Planned route is Delhi - Ambala - Amritsar - Jammu - Srinagar - Sonmarg - Kargil - Leh - Pangong Tso - Nubra - Leh - Sarchu - Keylong - Manali - Shimla - Delhi. Will have three rest days in between.

Dates are July 7th to 24th.

All of us are from Bangalore. Will send the bikes to Delhi by train and vice versa on return.

Need advise on the following :
1. Are two wheelers allowed to cross Zozila pass any time of the day or are there any specific timeslots ( if there are any, what are those?)

2. Will July be the beginning of rainy season in that region.

3. Will the roads be better in July ( compared to May / June) ?
1. Yes, mostly two wheelers are not subject to time restrictions. However, sometimes(rare) they may be.
2. Yes, its going to rain cats, dogs buffaloes and bisons if monsoon is on time
3. Not much of a difference. Good road time is post August.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:48   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1. Yes, mostly two wheelers are not subject to time restrictions. However, sometimes(rare) they may be.
2. Yes, its going to rain cats, dogs buffaloes and bisons if monsoon is on time
3. Not much of a difference. Good road time is post August.
Thanks tsk. These inputs help a lot. I think we need to gear up to tackle rain accordingly.
Unfortunately August is not a good time for us from work perspective. :( .
Old 8th May 2016, 05:02   #1140
BHPian

Hello all,

We're a total of 4 guys planning to get Leh'd this September - on 2 RE Classic 350s, 1 RE Thunderbird, and a Pulsar 220.
I've planned an itinerary for about 14 days, and we'd all be starting from Hyderabad, with our bikes in the Cargo section of the train until Chandigarh.

So, our journey would actually start from Chandigarh by road, all the way to Leh via the Leh-Manali highway. PFA, the itinerary that I thought of yet. Please throw some light on the feasibility of doing this and if I need to change the itinerary for any better.

PS: All of the planning is done with inputs from Team-BHPs' travelogues. Apologise if I'm being too optimistic or stupid, any way!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vinay.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-ladakh.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks