Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 13:43   #1246
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Am assuming roads remain open until end of Sept.
TIA
Roads remain open till October end or sometimes even in November. Raid de Himalaya takes place by second week of October and I think Keylong - Leh stretch will be blocked then. Am I right?
Old 25th August 2016, 15:09   #1247
BHPian

@ Motard_Blr,
Apologies for the late reply.

[QUOTE
Which direction did you cross Rohtang La? The permit is required only for the Manali to Keylong direction.[/quote]

We didn't touch Manali on the way to Keylong. Hence there was no request for permit.

Regards,
Maverick79.

Last edited by Maverick79 : 25th August 2016 at 15:10.
Old 25th August 2016, 20:50   #1248
BHPian

Friends, permit is required to cross Rohtang from Manali side. I had planned my Leh trip via Srinagar but at the last moment I am opting Manali - Rohtang - Leh route. I was worried for last 2 days thinking how to get the permit from SDM, Manali office. Also I am reaching on Saturday evening to Manali and can apply for the permit on Monday morning since the SDM office is supposedly closed on Sundays. But while browsing over internet I found one mobile number of an agent. She said that she will get the permit on Saturday for me. I need to just send her car's pollution certificate, RC and my driving licence via Whatsapp. She will charge me Rs500 which I have to pay her after getting the permit. Sounds good and I can relax a bit.
I can share her number, just put me a message.
RoadSurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 21:18   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
permit is required to cross Rohtang from Manali side. I had planned my Leh trip via Srinagar but at the last moment I am opting Manali - Rohtang - Leh route. I was worried for last 2 days thinking how to get the permit from SDM, Manali office. Also I am reaching on Saturday evening to Manali and can apply for the permit on Monday morning since the SDM office is supposedly closed on Sunday
SDM office is open from 10am to 1pm on Sundays throughout the tourist season. There is no fee for 2 Wheelers. I am reaching Manali this Saturday and will collect my permit on Sunday morning. Also tourist rush has mostly thinned out.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 12:59   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
SDM office is open from 10am to 1pm on Sundays throughout the tourist season. There is no fee for 2 Wheelers. I am reaching Manali this Saturday and will collect my permit on Sunday morning. Also tourist rush has mostly thinned out.

Cheers...
Hi

Assuming you are giving the Kargil route a miss due to the situation there, do post your experience taking the Manali route both onward and return. When you say no fee for bikes do you mean that permit is needed for bikes as well just that it comes free of charge? Do you need a permit while returning as well?

Ride safe
Old 26th August 2016, 16:45   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Assuming you are giving the Kargil route a miss due to the situation there, do post your experience taking the Manali route both onward and return. When you say no fee for bikes do you mean that permit is needed for bikes as well just that it comes free of charge? Do you need a permit while returning as well?

Ride safe
Thanks Brother. We are not giving Kargil a miss. May take out a night for Lamaruyu and Kargil excursion from Leh side and back. No permit is required while returning.

Cheers...
Old 26th August 2016, 16:54   #1252
BHPian

@dkaile when are you doing the tour?
Old 27th August 2016, 20:25   #1253
BHPian

@dkaile, please update the routes and the conditions over there. We will be reaching Delhi by 2nd Sept.
Old 29th August 2016, 14:19   #1254
BHPian

Just back from Ladakh. Was there between Aug 14-26th. Roads near Rohatang are manageable and only certain sections at the start from Keylong side had some slush which was easily do-able! The roads are being laid and no trouble at all going through Rohatang! We felt it was the easiest pass when compared to Chang La & Wari La. You do need a permit if you are going from Manali side. There was quite a bit of rush last weekend! So plan accordingly.
Old 29th August 2016, 15:02   #1255
BHPian

@Mafioso: I am assuming you skipped Srinagar. Also, please let me know where to get the permit from and what is the cost involved. We will be riding 3 royal Enfields.
Thanks in advance
Old 29th August 2016, 16:21   #1256
Team-BHP Support

Any idea about bike rentals in Leh for some minor touring in and around, pricing, availability etc. Also any rentals available for basic gear like helmet and gloves?

If carrying do the airlines allow helmet to be carried as cabin luggage?
Old 29th August 2016, 16:31   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariRE350 View Post
@Mafioso: I am assuming you skipped Srinagar. Also, please let me know where to get the permit from and what is the cost involved. We will be riding 3 royal Enfields.
Thanks in advance
Well! It was quite a bit of experience, we were on road waiting almost for 8 hours near Jawar Tunnel and then they sent us back only to return again that night to try our luck with Amarnath Yatrees! We were allowed to leave the Tunnel around 1am and we rode straight to Sonamarg via Srinagar through the night. Since we got to Manali via Keylong, permit is not required.
Old 29th August 2016, 16:47   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any idea about bike rentals in Leh for some minor touring in and around, pricing, availability etc. Also any rentals available for basic gear like helmet and gloves?

If carrying do the airlines allow helmet to be carried as cabin luggage?
Try http://ladakhbikerental.com/

They seem to be pretty good. The rentals are standardised across rental companies because of their association that has imposed the "no outside yellow board vehicle" rule in association with the local administration. For reference, a Bullet 500 classic is Rs. 1500/day.

Do check the condition of the bikes carefully before you accept them. Ensure that all safety features and electrical equipment are working well. Get anything you need adjusted before your ride off. Tools are not provided unless you ask for them. Also note that the rental companies usually empty tanks leaving only fumes before handing over to new customers. Ride straight to the nearest petrol bunk and refuel.

Helmets are part of the rental package but don't expect a choice of sizes, models, cleanliness, scratch-free visors or anything nice like that. If you have your own helmet, I suggest you take it along. I did and I was glad that I did it.

Helmets as cabin baggage is not a problem. Best to put them in their own little bag.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 16:54   #1259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Try http://ladakhbikerental.com/
======
Helmets are part of the rental package but don't expect a choice of sizes, models, cleanliness, scratch-free visors or anything nice like that. If you have your own helmet, I suggest you take it along. I did and I was glad that I did it.
Thanks much for this! Yes i do prefer to take my helmet and stuff, but heard some airlines don't allow it as hand baggage in Leh sector. And last thing i want is to spoil my lid for this short ride.

Rather carry some baclava's and use the local stuff. Anyways not planning on major rides since i will be travelling with my better half who is not much of a bike person Unless the hills changes her mind lol

One last question, should i stick to the bullets or try one of those pulsars or yamaha's?
Old 29th August 2016, 19:40   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

One last question, should i stick to the bullets or try one of those pulsars or yamaha's?
At those altitudes even the bullet 500 don't have much power left and climbing up steep slopes on bad roads will require all the remaining power. On smaller bikes you would be left with even less power since they have less to begin with. Riding with a pillion will need all the power. The bullets are also more comfortable over bad roads.
Motard_Blr is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed