Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 14:23   #1291

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsnavy View Post
Has anyone noticed that Google Maps is not showing the route map beyond Srinagar? Anyone has any update on this? Planning a trip to Leh in last week of May, hence needed the route map
Hi Ramsnavy,

I am also planning Leh in mid-May and while doing my bit of research, even I noticed that Google Maps is not showing any route from Delhi to Leh.

My vague idea is that the roads are closed right now and hence, not showing on google maps. However, it'll be great if a senior can shed light on this from their experience.

Last edited by gandharvkalra : 6th February 2017 at 14:30.
gandharvkalra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 14:39   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
This happens during winters, Google Maps would show the last real-time situation recorded. Due to snow, the higher-altitude roads are all closed hence this confusion.

I am not sure how true is this info, but this is what I have noticed over the past several years.
So when does the map start showing the route?
Old 6th February 2017, 14:45   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that Google Maps is not showing the route map beyond Srinagar? Anyone has any update on this? Planning a trip to Leh in last week of May, hence needed the route map
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
This happens during winters, Google Maps would show the last real-time situation recorded. Due to snow, the higher-altitude roads are all closed hence this confusion.

I am not sure how true is this info, but this is what I have noticed over the past several years.
^^ True !! Since the roads are officially closed, Google maps will not show a route. Happens every winter.

Workaround : Use the depart by option. Change the depart by from NOW to June 15, 2017.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 13:58   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Hello all - would 20th-30th May be too early for a drive to Leh? What is the likelihood of Srinagar-Leh and Manali-Leh highways opening up for traffic by this time? Also, what other areas would I NOT be able to cover if I go at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance...
Old 14th February 2017, 16:54   #1295
Senior - BHPian

In the previous few posts, passes are likely to open by June only. Considering the summer vacation in India for kids are during April-May, looking for any options for a bike trip in the Himalayas.

If not Leh, what else is possible?
Old 14th February 2017, 20:46   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
In the previous few posts, passes are likely to open by June only. Considering the summer vacation in India for kids are during April-May, looking for any options for a bike trip in the Himalayas.

If not Leh, what else is possible?
You can easily do Himachal or Uttaranchal in between April-May. Also you can go to some beautiful place like Chanshal Pass, or visit Gangotri ( the Temple will open in May). You can check my travelogue which i did in May, 2016 to give you an idea.

Feel free to ask anything.
Shivanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 13:32   #1297
BHPian

Are Inner Line Permits still required to visit places around Leh?
Old 1st March 2017, 09:16   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
You do not need ILP for the popular places.
Found a article : http://www.lehladakhindia.com/innerline-permits/

Regards,
Old 1st March 2017, 22:29   #1299
BHPian

What would be the recommended time of the year to visit Sach Pass and Leh(via Manali) in a S-Cross?
Old 6th March 2017, 09:36   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
You can easily do Himachal or Uttaranchal in between April-May. Also you can go to some beautiful place like Chanshal Pass, or visit Gangotri ( the Temple will open in May).
I went through your ride and it looks welcoming. However being someone who lives down south, a visit to Himalayas doesn't happen often or rather it happens rarely due to the long vacation and high expenses it demands especially while on a road trip.

I am kind of skipping the biking idea for this year and trying to make a guys only SUV trip in June so that no vital experiences are missed.

Any pointers on climatic situation this year and high-level predictions on when BRO will likely open the passes for public will be of great help.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 20:24   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I went through your ride and it looks welcoming. However being someone who lives down south, a visit to Himalayas doesn't happen often or rather it happens rarely due to the long vacation and high expenses it demands especially while on a road trip.

I am kind of skipping the biking idea for this year and trying to make a guys only SUV trip in June so that no vital experiences are missed.

Any pointers on climatic situation this year and high-level predictions on when BRO will likely open the passes for public will be of great help.
Thank you. How many days do you have in hand? And if you have already planned a place to go, then i can inform you accordingly.

As per me I would suggest you to plan for Spiti Valley around mid-June.

As per the weather conditions now, May onward the pass of several places start opening and by mid-June, almost all the pass are open. But yes the inital days after the higher altitudes pass opens, the roads are a mess, with slush and water streams from the melting ice. But the beauty remains intact of these places.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 12:27   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
What would be the recommended time of the year to visit Sach Pass and Leh(via Manali) in a S-Cross?
You can do once the roads settle down. June-July will have slushy roads around but you can do after July.
Old 7th March 2017, 12:37   #1303
BHPian

Quote:

No. You do not need an ILP now a days. But do carry few copies of your ID proofs with originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hello all - would 20th-30th May be too early for a drive to Leh? What is the likelihood of Srinagar-Leh and Manali-Leh highways opening up for traffic by this time? Also, what other areas would I NOT be able to cover if I go at this time of the year?

Thanks in advance...
The roads do open in early or mid May but will be in a very bad shape especially Zozila Pass and roads from Leh to Sarchu except few stretches. So it's advisable to do it from last week of may or in June. I did a Kerala - Leh trip in june first week of 2016.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 13:05   #1304
BHPian

I had traveled through Spiti valley and Chandratal lake in late September. The weather was fine and the roads in fairly good shape. The bonus was the apples were ripe and so juicy. There is not much traffic due to the late season but facilities are still available.
Old 7th March 2017, 16:21   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Thank you. How many days do you have in hand? And if you have already planned a place to go, then i can inform you accordingly.
Heart says Kochi - Chandigarh - Srinagar - Leh - Manali - Chandigarh - Kochi. Chandigarh to Chandigarh I should be able to spare about 10 days if a beautiful itenary can be worked out. Have to factor about 8 days for up and down drive between Kochi and Chandigarh.

Please feel free to correct my ignorance being a first time traveler to Himalayas. First of all is it a realistic plan in high level? If yes, what all places like Spiti valley or Nubra valley can be added between Srinagar - Leh - Manali circuit? Should I add another week or push the travel to July to make this trip at its best?

Last edited by jacs : 7th March 2017 at 16:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks