Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 15:02   #1396
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksantosh View Post
Hi..Can anyone update about the Road conditions between Jammu and Srinagar currently? I am starting from Delhi tomorrow for a road trip, Delhi -Udhampur- Sonmarg-Leh-Turtuk-panamik-pangong Tso- chushul- Tso- Moriri-Debring-Sarchu-Khokhsar-Manali-Delhi
I guess just in time for you:

Traffic resumes on Kashmir, Leh highways, Mughal road after 2 days
http://www.risingkashmir.com/news/tr...d-after-2-days
dinesha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 07:59   #1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I am exactly one month away from travel and somehow news from Srinagar part is not great as many posted already. Still not letting go hope.

Any idea which part of the highway is curfewed? Could people driving from Manali, drive past Leh and visit Kargil or beyond excluding Srinagar?
Hi Jacs, I am crossing Srinagar today, the Highways opened yesterday morning and all vehicles are being cleared on both sides. I left Udhampur at 0600 Hrs today and hope to reach Sonmarg by 1900 Hrs. Will keep you posted if I witness anything enroute, God willing and as per inputs from locals, the highway is clear and there are no blockages or any Issues on the Road.
jksantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 10:08   #1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerkarve View Post
Dear TBHPians,

I and 5 of my friends are planning a trip from Pune to Ladakh and back from 17th June to 2nd July 2017 in my Safari Dicor 4x4. I have experience of driving 24 hours nonstop from Pune to Yercaud. And 20 hours non stop from Ooty to Pune. Plus other short journeys in hilly regions. There is another driver with me.
My itinerary is attached. Please provide your valuable tips and suggestions.
Dear gamekarve,

Your Itinerary is doable, but I must tell you it is very aggressive, rather very very aggressive. I recommend you keep 2-3 days extra.

Day 4 - Srinagar to Gulmarg will take a lot more than 90 mins, please assume more than 150 mins, and if there is heavy traffic much more. Please purchase Gondola tickets in advance, unless you want to spend a lot of time in line to avail tickets at the counter in Gulmarg.

Day 7 - I recommend you go and see Hemis Monastry, It's a must do.. also spend some time in the Siachin Museum next to Airport.

Day 8 : There is no way you will reach Panamik from Leh in 4 hours 30 mins, keep at least 7 hours for this considering you will stop at least 20 mins at Khardung la (Highest Motorable Road). I recommend you do Diskit and Turtuk on this day since they are on same road and do Panamik on the next day. While at Panamik, see if you can sneak further towards Siachin... it will be tricky, but if you can, these few kms towards base camp Siachin can be an experience of life time.

Day 10 - I hope you are not taking Khardung la route on this day and going to Pangong via shyok, this route while not concrete, will not only save time, but also has mesmerizing view. Drive through Shyok River all the way till shyok and then turn towards Durbuk and reach Pangong Tso via Tangste.

Day 11 - Pangong to Tsomo Riri is more than 270 kms and you will have to pass through chusul (you need special permission for this) or you can come via Durbuk, Hemis and chumathang, the route will then become more than 330 kms. You also have to consider fuel options unless you are carrying 2 jerry cans for fuel, 20 ltrs each.

These are my suggestions.
jksantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 11:37   #1399

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksantosh View Post
Dear gamekarve,

Your Itinerary is doable, but I must tell you it is very aggressive, rather very very aggressive. I recommend you keep 2-3 days extra...
Hi Santosh,

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I will take those points into consideration and work on the planning.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st June 2017 at 11:48.
Old 1st June 2017, 13:52   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So wanted to know how long it will take to get permits for Nubra, Turtuk, Pangong Tso and Tsomori ri together? And how much it will cost approximately for a group of 6 persons. My Hotel friend is going to help me get the permits but wanted to know these few details in advance. Thanks.
We had been to Leh (4 adults + 2 Children) from 5th May to 15th May. Took Permit for 3 days to visit Nubra, Khardongla and Pangong Tso

Permit cost per person - Rs. 400. For 4 adults - Rs. 1600. We showed school Identity card for two children and hence, they were exempted from this permit

Environment cost per person per day: Rs. 20. For 6 people *3 days - 120*3=Rs. 360.(This has to be paid for children as well)

Total we had to pay, 1960 for 6 people.

Time: The office opens exactly at 10:30. We were there at 11 AM. So, they took the application and asked us to come at 2 PM. But, we had to leave to Khardongla immediately because of time constraint(We had lost one day in Sonamarg because of road opening delay and land sliding)

So, I met District Commisioner directly and requested him to sign on the permit directly. He asked me to get the papers upon my request. I went back to clerks and said, DC has agreed to sign immediately. So, they gave the papers. I got everything ready by 11:20 AM

But, suggest you to budget at least half a day for permit

Edit: There is no need for all the members to be available in office for permit. One person can go and get the permit.

Last edited by gkveda : 1st June 2017 at 13:55.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 12:46   #1401
Senior - BHPian

There's some good news for everyone. Manali Leh highway will open on the 8th of June.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/mobi/new...-8/416557.html

Also, with respect to the Inner Line permit, as per a notification, you can get the Inner Line permit online:

http://www.lahdclehpermit.in

Happy motoring! looking forward to the stories of all those who are setting off in the coming weeks. I'll have to wait till Aug
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 19:40   #1402
BHPian

Just got back from Leh; Ladakh actually! My itinerary was as follows:

21 May- Gwalior to Agra
22 May- Agra to Chandigarh
23 May- Chandigarh to Udhampur
24 May- Udhampur to Awantipora
25 May- Awantipora to Kargil
26 May- Kargil to Pensi La; night halt at Rangdum
27 May- Rangdum to Kargil
28 May- Kargil to Leh
29 May- At Leh
30 May- Leh to Thoise via Khardung La
31 May- Thoise- Turtuk (0 RD)- Thoise
01 Jun- Thoise-Siachin Base Camp-Thoise
02 Jun- Thoise-Agham-Shyok-Pengong Tso
03 Jun- Pengong Tso-Chusul-Tsaga La-Hanle-Nyoma
04 Jun- Nyoma-Tso Morri-Tso Kar- Durbuk-Pang-Sarchu
05 Jun- Sarchu-Manali
06 Jun- Manali-Ambala
07 Jun- Ambala-Gwalior

Detailed thread on the trip follows!
neel385 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 14:40   #1403
BHPian

Hello friends,

Need your suggestions on our 16 days Leh - Ladakh travel plan in August 17.

Some Background:
1. We are 5 close friends from Pune, All healthy & from 35-40 Age group. All are excellent and responsible drivers.
2. It will be a Pune-Ladakh-Pune journey and Partner in crime is XUV 500 W8.
3. Total 16 days travel plan from 12-27 Aug.
4. While returning from Leh we are also checking for Srinagar route but 99% it will be via Manali only.
5. Leh – Nubra – Hunder – Shyok – Pangong – Hanle – Leh / Tso Moriri is approximate 900 KM route and without a gas station (Except Diskit) between so we are well prepared to carry 25-30 Ltr Diesel in Cans.
6. 2 days are considered as buffer days.
7. I have been to Leh in 2014 on bike (Srinagar-Leh-Delhi Circuit) and I am aware with the barren land and seriousness of this Leh-Ladakh journey, Also I have conveyed it to my friends. . ( I Consider this as a important point while planning )

Please let me know your valuable suggestions on below plan.
Attached Images

KiranPatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 18:15   #1404
BHPian

Hello All,

Has anyone got the ILPs through online portal yet?

Can anyone share the steps and their experience?

Not sure why they have reintroduced ILPs. If 400/- fee was the main objective, they can set up multiple collection centres at entry and exit points.
Old 16th June 2017, 19:32   #1405
BHPian

Hi all,

I am off to Ladakh on Sunday and just realised that my tow rope is missing. Is there someone in Bangalore who can loan one and I can return the same around 10th July, once i am back?

I can collect it, tomorrow.

Let me know pls.

Best,

Mahesh
+919845971792.
Old 17th June 2017, 00:04   #1406

Lahaul Spiti Travel Tips

Important Travel tips to go to Lahaul Spiti.
To have a trouble free trip, you need to know what conditions to expect.
This is our attempt to consolidate relevant information on Lahaul & spiti.
Much more difficult driving conditions compared to Leh, Ladakh.
Definitely not for the fainthearted......A must do trip for all the roadies!
Find the link below:-
SaawantKaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 12:42   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Not much updates for last two weeks and many BHPians were suppose to travel early June. Staying tuned to hear latest updates on the below.
  • Situation in Srinagar and feasibility of travelling from Jammu to Leh with one night stay in Srinagar and Kargil.
  • Anything on Chenani tunnel route.
  • ILP for visiting Kardung La, Diskit, Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri etc.
  • Latest news on Pangong declared as Cold Desert sanctuary and most establishments will be demolished.
  • Possibilities of tenting and camping in the Leh-Manali belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Just got back from Leh; Ladakh actually! My itinerary was as follows:

Detailed thread on the trip follows!
Boss - Much awaited thread as my travel is just a week away.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 08:00   #1408

Hi Jacs,

I am right now in Srinagar and leaving for Kargil in few minutes. Situation is pretty much normal here. I got late while leaving Amritsar and reached Srinagar at midnight but I travelled without any issues or hindrances. There is road improvement/widening work going on beyond Udhampur and we experienced a tiny land slide n little traffic jam between Udhampur and Banihal. Beyond Banihal, roads are better with less potholes.
The Chenani tunnel is mind blowing. 10 km straight run with proper lighting and emergency facilities.
gamerkarve is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 09:59   #1409
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Jacs,

I am right now in Srinagar and leaving for Kargil in few minutes. Situation is pretty much normal here..
@GamerKarve Bhau Thanks for updates on Srinagar.

Any rough idea when was last time they had imposed curfew in Srinagar ?
Old 21st June 2017, 22:04   #1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
Any rough idea when was last time they had imposed curfew in Srinagar ?
Hi Kiran bhau,

It was last imposed 2 weeks back. Whole Jammu Srinagar highway was blocked. Now there are very high chances of curfew being imposed around 2-3 days before Eid and 2-3 days after Eid. Got this info after speaking to locals. They are saying there is going to be some issue around Eid.

Further, I would advise anyone travelling from Rajasthan side to Amritsar to avoid the shortcut (Bhilwara-Pallu-Firozpur) route in night. There are many cows on road and they are invisible until they are too close. We just escaped from a major cow accident. I quickly turned the handle and were about to turn turtle but controlled the car. Even Rajasthan has few cows on road. Be careful during night driving.
gamerkarve is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks