Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 18:02   #1426
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I almost intend to do the same circuit, however in the reverse direction. Ascend Sach pass from Dalhousie and get down through Sinthan Top and then proceed to Srinagar- Leh- Manali.
Drive is absolutely mesmerising. The entire route. Some points to keep in mind:
  • From Bairagarh to Sinthan top is 100% off-road. There is no tarmac whatsoever for about 250 kms.
  • Some areas require 4x4. There were many Tata Sumos that got stuck in slush at few points and had to be pushed manually. If it rains, conditions will only get worse.
  • High ground clearance is a must otherwise be prepared for many underbody hits.
  • There was one major and many minor water crossings
  • Between Dharwas to Padder the road is literally carved out of rocks with just enough width for one vehicle to cross. There is deep valley on the other side. Be especially careful on this stretch and do it only during the day time. I have attached some pictures for your reference.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_5608.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_5611.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_5612.jpg
Quote:
Now, that point above that is highlighted, gets me thinking again.
My travel plan is after 20 Aug. Hope things get better by then.
I will still advise to avoid Kishtwar - Chingam - Anantnag route. You can do Kishtwar - Patnitop - Srinagar route. There is enough army on the highways to keep you safe.

Quote:
1. Why was it that you chose to go via Manali and return via Srinagar? Generally people tend to do the other way around.
I did not go with any plan and everything was decided runtime. I just wanted to reach Leh as soon as possible and then enjoy the drives in the mountains. Sach pass was decided only a day before and when we had reached Srinagar.

Quote:
2. Will the ascend through Sach pass pose much problems? Or should I consider doing Killar- Kishtwar from Keylong side?
Sach pass is about 4300 meters. Same height as Sarchu. The ascend is quite steep as well. AMS could pose some serious issue. I would advise to do this on your return leg from Keylong or if you still do it then take AMS medicines, disposable oxygen cylinder and drink a lot of water. Also, do not spend more than 5 minutes at the top.

Safe travels!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 12:01   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Just completed the Leh circuit.

Route taken: Mumbai - Jaipur - Delhi - Chandigarh - Manali - Leh - Srinagar - Kishtawar - Sach Pass - Chamba - Amritsar - Gurgaon - Mumbai

We got stone pelted on our car near Anantnag on Srinagar - Kishtawar route. It is best avoided as people have started targeting tourists and civilian vehicles as well.

Report of attacks on Amarnath pilgrims near Anantnag. Looks like this area is getting hostile day by day. Hope everything gets settled down soon.

We are going to start our Pune-Leh-Pune journey on 12th August. Request members who are travelling on Anantnag route to update on situation. Thanks in advance!
Old 20th July 2017, 07:33   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Driving a self drive - diesel XUV till Leh. Then using local taxi for sightseeing.

I'm taking the Manali route as considering the current situation, it's safer. What are the points where I can get a fuel station after Manali?
Old 20th July 2017, 08:29   #1429
Senior - BHPian

We are planning to go to Amritsar/Srinagar/Ladak/Manali from Bangalore Mid Sept. Planning to start on Sept 15 and coming back by Oct 2.

Anyone else planning around the same time?
Old 20th July 2017, 10:31   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Driving a self drive - diesel XUV till Leh. Then using local taxi for sightseeing.

I'm taking the Manali route as considering the current situation, it's safer. What are the points where I can get a fuel station after Manali?
Good idea.

You will get fuel at Tandi which is about 105 kms from Manali and then after about 320 kms in Upshi. Upshi to Leh is 50 kms. Due to lack of availability of diesel, we were given only Rs. 500 worth of fuel.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_3311.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img_5668.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screen-shot-20170720-10.29.21-am.jpg
ragh_bhushan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 10:41   #1431
Senior - BHPian

So even the fuel being doled out is rationed? Since I'm not going to be taking the car to Nubra etc, does it make sense to carry a fuel jerry can? The XUV has a 70 litre fuel tank. Should suffice?
Old 20th July 2017, 10:52   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
So even the fuel being doled out is rationed?
Depends on availability. You can always request for additional fuel if you are running really low.

Quote:
Since I'm not going to be taking the car to Nubra etc, does it make sense to carry a fuel jerry can? The XUV has a 70 litre fuel tank. Should suffice?
A tankful in Manali is good enough to take you to Leh. 70 litre fuel tank is more than sufficient. There is a fuel station in Nubra valley as well at Diskit. No need for a jerry can. I had more than 1/4 tank left when I reached at Leh starting with 80L fuel.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 11:02   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A tankful in Manali is good enough to take you to Leh. 70 litre fuel tank is more than sufficient. There is a fuel station in Nubra valley as well at Diskit. No need for a jerry can. I had more than 1/4 tank left when I reached at Leh starting with 80L fuel.
Jerry can will be useful in a worst case scenario..say you got stuck because of a landslide and you need to keep the engine ON for longer time etc. extra fuel will always give piece of mind..one less item to worry about.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 12:28   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on availability. You can always request for additional fuel if you are running really low.

Information by Dinesha on previous page,

"Only petrol and no diesel were available in gas station at Diskit and evidently this is the case generally."

A Jerry can filled up with Diesel is always a good idea if you are taking Nubra -Shyok-Pangong- and further to hanley & Tso Moriri route.
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:03   #1435
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to drive a self drive to Leh second week of Aug , park it in the hotel and hire a bike for further sightseeing. a few queries /observations

1. Was just trying to figure things out before D day...When I get onto the online portal and click beyond Rohtang, it gives me an online form to fill. it needs the vehicle no and date of registration details etc. So I'll have to take the same from Voler cars in advance I guess.*

2. There's no cap mentioned for vehicles traveling beyond Rohtang.*

3. It just says Rs 50 for LMV. Congestion charge or something. That's it?*

4. Is it okay if I apply online 5-6 days in advance or do I need to get my hotel folks at Manali get the permit to cross Rohtang for me?*

5. . Inner Line permit form needs to be filled in individually by all travelers? And after filling it, you've to get it stamped in Leh? Do I need an agent to do the same?
Old 24th July 2017, 14:10   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
1. Was just trying to figure things out before D day...When I get onto the online portal and click beyond Rohtang, it gives me an online form to fill. it needs the vehicle no and date of registration details etc. So I'll have to take the same from Voler cars in advance I guess.*
Yes. Correct. You can fill the form 2-3 days in advance. Keep checking here for availability as you get closer to your travel date. Remember no vehicles are allowed on Tuesdays due to maintenance work.

Quote:
2. There's no cap mentioned for vehicles traveling beyond Rohtang.*
There is a cap. 400 for Diesel and 800 for Petrol. You can see that on the above link.

Quote:
3. It just says Rs 50 for LMV. Congestion charge or something. That's it?*
Yes, That's it.

Quote:
4. Is it okay if I apply online 5-6 days in advance or do I need to get my hotel folks at Manali get the permit to cross Rohtang for me?*
You can apply upto 6 days in advance. No need for doing it via agent. It is completely online process. Just make sure you get a print out.

Quote:
5. . Inner Line permit form needs to be filled in individually by all travelers? And after filling it, you've to get it stamped in Leh? Do I need an agent to do the same?
Yes, everyone needs to fill the form and get it stamped in Leh. No need for an agent as it is fairly straight forward process. I have personally not taken online permit as I was not aware about it until I reached the DC office. Offline process was quite simple and straightforward. Took just 15 minutes.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 07:00   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There is a cap. 400 for Diesel and 800 for Petrol. You can see that on the above link.

I thought that cap was for taking the permit for vehicles going to Rohtang Pass for tourism purpose, as it only comes up on that link. For vehicles going beyond Rohtang pass, the link doesn't specify a cap.
Old 25th July 2017, 09:10   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Back home safely after the trip. Inputs from fellow bhpians certainly helped.

Took the Srinagar - Leh route for onward and Leh - Manali for return. Shall try and contribute to upcoming queries. But believe me, there is not much use inquiring road condition of each leg well in advance, very unpredictable while in Himalayas.

A capable vehicle is no doubt a boon during the drive, Nanos and Altos can do it too.
jacs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 13:06   #1439
BHPian

We are planning a bike trip from Dharamsala-Leh-Manali-Dharamsala bike trip during Sep 1st Week.
Onward via Srinagar, Return via Manali, Any suggestions/cautions?

Also anyone riding in the same time frame?
Old 25th July 2017, 14:17   #1440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Back home safely after the trip. Inputs from fellow bhpians certainly helped.
Great to hear. Any TLog coming up? Or a summary post of noteworthy things?Any new findings with related to permit process/ max-cap or quota etc?

Most Viewed