Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 16:15   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

Back home safely after the trip. Inputs from fellow bhpians certainly helped.

Took the Srinagar - Leh route for onward and Leh - Manali for return. Shall try and contribute to upcoming queries. But believe me, there is not much use inquiring road condition of each leg well in advance, very unpredictable while in Himalayas.

A capable vehicle is no doubt a boon during the drive, Nanos and Altos can do it too.
Wonderful..Agree on the road conditions at Himalaya part, but can you share the main land road conditions? (up and down?)
Old 25th July 2017, 19:46   #1442
Senior - BHPian

On the site, there's a 'green tax' link too. So that's over and above the 'beyond rohtang' permit that one has to pay I guess?

By what time should I leave Manali to cross Rohtang in time? it'll be a Sunday.
Old 26th July 2017, 14:20   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Great to hear. Any TLog coming up? Or a summary post of noteworthy things?Any new findings with related to permit process/ max-cap or quota etc?
Yes Travelogue in making. I did not bother to pull out time for getting permits myself, my hotelier arranged it at INR 700 per head which was worth the time saved for local sight seeing and shopping.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss! All our cars had 55L fuel tanks filled in from Leh and had 40L fuel in jerry cans .

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Wonderful..Agree on the road conditions at Himalaya part, but can you share the main land road conditions? (up and down?)
Most passes have bad roads which needs to be negotiated carefully and takes longer than you would have budgeted. However rest of the roads were pretty good but narrower in many stretches. Shall try and include details shortly. There were few bottlenecks due to water crossing where low ground clearance vehicles got stuck ending up in long queues. Remember the worst one after Changla Pass while driving towards Pangong from leh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
On the site, there's a 'green tax' link too. So that's over and above the 'beyond rohtang' permit that one has to pay I guess?

By what time should I leave Manali to cross Rohtang in time? it'll be a Sunday.
Roads weren't great around Rohtang while I traveled, may be the slush after rain also contributed. Some areas are pretty narrow due to landslides and could waste time during peak hours since vehicles wait for turn on one-way fashion.

My experience says starting everyday at 6AM will help save travel time each day due to less or no traffic.
jacs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 20:35   #1444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yes Travelogue in making..
Looking out eagerly for the travelogue Jacs. I'm sure it would be a wonderful read with your trademark awesome snaps.
Please include the time taken to cover different sectors. Would be great help for future travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
We are planning a bike trip from Dharamsala-Leh-Manali-Dharamsala bike trip during Sep 1st Week.
Also anyone riding in the same time frame?
I'll be travelling around 10 days earlier.
Internet connectivity permitting, I shall update road conditions here.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 17:08   #1445
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to visit Leh Ladakh & Kaza in my own vehicle i.e. Ford Ecosport. I have planned my visit during May - June 2018 from Mumbai. I have got some queries which need clarity from the fellow BHPIans
1. Can it be done with with my Ecosport Titanium
2. Is ILP required now or only the prescribed ID will do
3. What will be the weather condition during this period
4. What precautions to be taken
5. What are the accommodation options available

The route that I have shortlisted is given below

Day From To Distance in KMs
1 Mumbai Ajmer 1024
2 Ajmer Phagwara 775
3 Phagwara Sarahan 332
4 Sarahan Chitkul 121
5 Chitkul Kalpa 77
6 Kalpa Tabo 170
7 Tabo Kaza 47
8 Kaza Keylong 186
9 Keylong Sarchu 110
10 Sarchu Tso Moriri 228
11 Tso Moriri Hanle 210
12 Hanle Chusul 115
13 Chusul Pangong Tso 199
14 Pangong Tso Thoise 254
15 Thoise Leh 141
16 Leh Leh 100
17 Leh Leh 100
18 Leh Srinagar 421
19 Srinagar Local 100
20 Srinagar Sriganga Nagar (Rajasthan) 691
21 Sriganga Nagar (Rajasthan) Jodhpur 499
22 Jodhpur Mumbai 976
Total 6876 KM

HVK Sir,

I heard a lot about you, Need your expert advice and help in doing this. I stay in Vasai and if I am not wrong you are based in Thane. We can meet some day at your convenience and discuss in detail. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Old 30th July 2017, 10:39   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Upto last year, Permit for going beyond Rohtang pass wasn't available online. You had to submit documents like copies of RC, insurance, PUC etc at the sdm office in Manali and obtain the permit.

However, from this year it's available online. Do you still have to submit copies of RC,license etc ie..upload them? I don't.want to be in a situation where I'm stuck in Manali without a permit thereby wasting a day.
Old 30th July 2017, 21:17   #1447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Hi,
1. Can it be done with with my Ecosport Titanium
Absolutely.

Quote:
2. Is ILP required now or only the prescribed ID will do
ILP is required and can be applied online. Just get it stamped at Leh DC office or apply offline once in Leh. Takes 5 minutes.

Quote:
3. What will be the weather condition during this period
You will find snow at almost all passes and temperatures hovering between 0 - 15 degrees depending on location

Quote:
4. What precautions to be taken
Just relax and don't exert yourself and you should be good. Also check first second pages of this thread for general precautions.

Quote:
5. What are the accommodation options available
Many. From luxurious hotels to tents to homestays depending on location.

Quote:
Do you still have to submit copies of RC,license etc ie..upload them? I don't.want to be in a situation where I'm stuck in Manali without a permit thereby wasting a day.
No need to submit copies. Just an online application is enough. Just make sure you put all entries correctly.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 16:04   #1448
Senior - BHPian

2 Queries.

1. Since the beyond Rohtang form can be filled 6 days in advance, I'm sure there's a mad rush for it. I've booked through Voler cars and asked them to provide RC, PUC details in advance so that I can obtain the permit. However if, in the worst case scenario, I don't get the details, then I'll have to apply for permit just one day before, the day I get the car and start my journey. What are the odds of getting the permit? Or should I get an agent in Manali for helping me obtain the same?

2. The online permits need to be stamped in Manali or at some checkpoint?
Old 31st July 2017, 16:51   #1449
BHPian

Hi Ragh_Bhushan,

Thank you for your reply and giving me the confidence to do this trip. One more question is that, if I entering from Kaza then how do I get the permit for the Ladakh region, alternately I have to enter from Srinagar and acquire permit and then proceed. What do you suggest?

Will the road to Leh is open in the end May or I have to push the dates a bit further?
Max63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 17:00   #1450
BHPian

Good Evening friends.

We are leaving for Pune-Leh-Pune on 12th August. We will be travelling in either XUV or a TATA Safari. Please advise on below scenarios of both the cars.

1. For XUV for RC book has been issued but misplaced by Post Office. Currently we have only a RTO letter mentioning current status of RC book i.e misplaced. We have applied for Duplicate RC and awaiting it.

2. For TATA Safari we have all the documents but the owner of the car is not traveling with us on this trip. Is it OK to take the Safari on this trip ?

We have places like Chushul & Hanle in our itinerary so is there any chance to face issues at army check posts due to above points? We really don’t want to miss Hanle at any cost.

Please suggest.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:23   #1451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
For TATA Safari we have all the documents but the owner of the car is not traveling with us on this trip. Is it OK to take the Safari on this trip ?
Logically it would have made sense to take Tata Safari since it has all the papers available.

However, for Leh I would suggest you not to do that since the unofficial Taxi owners check-post is known to create a mess for vehicles without owner travelling. I have seen this by myself for a biker who came with a borrowed bike.

So your only practical option would be XUV, but yes I would let those who drove down there comment on the RC book part for permits. Since my trip was in a taxi, not commenting on that.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 22:12   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
2 Queries.
What are the odds of getting the permit? Or should I get an agent in Manali for helping me obtain the same?
Chances are pretty good. We tried for next day's permit at 11:30AM but it was full. There were plenty of permits available for day after that. Absolutely no issues with permits for petrol cars even for the same day.

Quote:
2. The online permits need to be stamped in Manali or at some checkpoint?
No stamping required. The online permit printout is all you need. Directly checked at the Gulaba barrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
One more question is that, if I entering from Kaza then how do I get the permit for the Ladakh region, alternately I have to enter from Srinagar and acquire permit and then proceed. What do you suggest?
You can get the permit only in Leh. You may enter via Kaza - Keylong - Leh route if you want to come from Lahaul Spiti region.

Quote:
Will the road to Leh is open in the end May or I have to push the dates a bit further?
Roads will be open but be prepared for a lot of snow on the passes. Would advise to push the dates if possible and traveling with family.

Quote:
Please advise on below scenarios of both the cars.

1. For XUV for RC book has been issued but misplaced by Post Office. Currently we have only a RTO letter mentioning current status of RC book i.e misplaced. We have applied for Duplicate RC and awaiting it.

2. For TATA Safari we have all the documents but the owner of the car is not traveling with us on this trip. Is it OK to take the Safari on this trip ?

We have places like Chushul & Hanle in our itinerary so is there any chance to face issues at army check posts due to above points? We really don’t want to miss Hanle at any cost.
XUV is your better bet. I saw a check post of Taxi union who were checking papers at random. Although my RC was not checked anywhere either in Leh or all the way from Mumbai - Leh, having the owner in the car will ensure no troubles.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 23:58   #1453
Distinguished - BHPian

I hear that the Wari La route and the Agham-Shyok route are both shut down presently. Can someone throw some updates?
When is it expected to reopen?
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:22   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I hear that the Wari La route and the Agham-Shyok route are both shut down presently. Can someone throw some updates?
When is it expected to reopen?

Agham - Shyok
route got closed while I was there during July mid but that was for 2 or 3 days after a minor landslide. Not sure about a prolonged closure.
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:14   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are leaving for Pune-Leh-Pune on 12th August.
1. For XUV for RC book has been issued but misplaced.
2. For TATA Safari we have all the documents but the owner of the car is not traveling with us on this trip.
Wishing you all the best Kiran. Me too headed there on August 19 from Bangalore in my XUV. Can't PM you - any chance I can get in touch with you while you on this trip to know status of roads/ situation on ground?

For Tata Safari - you can get the authorisation letter from the owner stating his permission to drive and mention of your relationship with him. Get that letter notarised by sub-registrar or competent govt authority.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th August 2017 at 10:08. Reason: Post edited. Please refrain from giving illegitimate advice on the forum. Thanks.
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed