Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:02   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

This is our itinerary for Leh Trip during May 2018. We are going to skip Nubra valley, to cover Pangong Tso- Korzok route. We have limited days on hand and can't afford to cover both Nubra and Tso Moriri. Trip details are as per below. Please give your inputs and valuable suggestions.

Vehicle: XUV 500.
Persons: 4 adults.

Day 1 (11/05/2018)
Start from A’bad at 2100. Keep driving. Night driving.

Day 2 (12/05/2018
Amritsar (1225KM) or Pathankot (1350 KM). Night stay at Amritsar or Pathankot

Day 3 (13/05/2018)
Start early at 4 or 5 AM from Amritsar or Pathankot. Reach Srinagar (450KM). Night Stay at Srinagar or Sonamarg depending on Srinagar situation.

Day 4 (14/05/2018)
Srinagar /Sonamarg to Lamayuru (226Km). Night stay At Lamayuru.

Day 5 (15/05/2018)
Lamayuru to Leh (115Km). Night stay at Leh.

Day 6 (16/05/2018)
DC office for permits. Visit local sites & Khardung LA. Night stay at Leh.

Day 7 (17/05/2018)
Leh to Pangong Tso (200Km). Night stay at Merak.

Day 8 (18/05/2018)
Merak to Korzok (180Km) Tough Road.
Merak – Chusul – Nama – Kaksang La – Horala – Mahe – Sumdo – Kiagar Tso – Tso Moriri (Korzok)
Night Stay at Korzok.

Day 9 (19/05/2018)
Korzok to Sarchu (219Km) or Keylong (327Km). Night stay at Sarchu or Keylong.

Day 10 (20/05/2018)
Keylong to Mandi (220Km) or Push some more. Night stay at Mandi or Bilaspur.

Day 11 (21/05/2018)
Mandi to Jaipur (700Km). Night stay at Jaipur.

Day 12 (22/05/2018)
Jaipur to Ahmedabad (650Km).

Last edited by SJM1214 : 23rd April 2018 at 15:04. Reason: Minor Change.
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:43   #1562
Senior - BHPian

I am still a bit confused.
Writing all possible options to clear my mind and seek opinion.
I have spoken to a few hotels and also taxi operators/travel agents and according to them, direct route from Nubra to Pangong not possible.
Also, the route from Pangong to Tso Moriri through Chushul might also be closed. In that case, you have to come back a long way toward Leh till Karu to go from Pangong to Tso Moriri, and it might be a pretty long drive.

So, here are the options.

Option A
Leh,Nubra,TurtukPangong,Tso Moriri - 2 nights at Nubra, 1 night at Pangong, 1 night at Tso Moriri
Day1 -LEH - rest, local market, Shanti stupa,
Day2 - Sham valley - alchi/likir monastery, sangam, Gurudwara, magnetic hill etc, night at Leh
Day 3 - Leh to Nubra - diskit, camel safari, night at hundar
Day4 - Nubra to Turtuk day trip, night at Hundar
Day5- Nubra to Leh, evening shopping etc, night at Leh
Day6 - Leh to Pangong, night at Pangong
Day7 - Pangong to Tso Moriri,night at Tso Moriri
Day 8-Tso Moriri to Leh
Day9- fly back

Option B
Leh,Nubra,Pangong,Tso Moriri - 1 nights at Nubra, 1 night at Pangong, 1 night at Tso Moriri (skip Turtuk)
Day2 - Sham valley - alchi/likir monastery, sangam, Gurudwara, magnetic hill etc, night at Leh
Day4 - Nubra to Leh, night at Leh
Day5 - Leh to Pangong, night at Pangong
Day6 - Pangong to Tso moriri, night at Tso moriri
Day 7-Tso Moriri to Leh, night at Leh
Day8 - Leh local sightseeing, shopping, monasteries, night at Leh (spare day if we can't go directly from Pangong to Tso Moriri)
Day9- fly back

Option C
Leh,Nubra,Turtuk,Pangong -2 nights at Nubra, 1 night at Pangong (skip Tso Moriri)
Day4 - Nubra to Turtuk day trip, night at Hundar
Day5- Nubra to Leh, evening shopping etc, night at Leh
Day6 - Leh to Pangong, night at Pangong
Day7 - Pangong to Leh, night at Leh
Day8 - Leh local sightseeing, shopping, monasteries, night at Leh
Day9- fly back

I watched lot of videos about TsoMoriri and Turtuk .
And I absolutely want to visit Tso Moriri. Turtuk is different and looks interesting no doubt but Tso Moriri looks out of the world.
So, I am thinking to stick to Plan A. Even if the Chushul route is closed, we can come back to Karu and head to Tso Moriri.I spoke to a few drivers as well and they claim that Pangong to Tso Moriri through Chushul will be around 8 hours and through Karu will be 9-10 hours.
So, definitely feasible if we start early by 7-7:30. Obiously, it depends on how you are feeling after spending the night at Tso Moriri. Do you think this is a good plan? Or, am I making this too busy and hectic considering travel with family?

Other option could be option B since I am keen to visit Tso Moriri, I should drop Turtuk which gives me the option to go to TsoMoriri directly from Pangong or worst case, come back to Leh and visit Tso Moriri the next day.

Option C is the most relaxed option which skips Tso Moriri. I am not too keen on this option but might be the more practical one considering traveling with family

Last edited by adimicra : 23rd April 2018 at 16:45.
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:39   #1563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am still a bit confused.
I would skip Nubra if I was so keen on Tso Morriri *and* short of days. Too much time in a taxi can be taxing (pun not intended). When you reach the destination, you will be tired and not in the best mood to enjoy it. Covering less places at leisure is far more enjoyable. If you have time on hand, impromptu stops don't hurt and even refresh you for the next few hours. Just something to think about while planning 8-10 hr+ drives in such terrain.

Once you visit Ladakh, you are bound to go there again. So don't regret leaving something out. Maybe next time.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:27   #1564
Senior - BHPian

I do understand your point but Nubra being at a lower altitude is better suited to travel on day 3 and 4 rather than going to Pangong on Day 3. In the above itinerary, the only long drive would be Pangong to Tso Moriri while Leh to Nubra or Pangong should be around 5 hours.

Right now, I am more inclined to option B as it gives us a rest day at Leh before flying back.
For a relaxed itinerary, option C is better covering Turtuk and leaving our Tso Moriri. But I am really interested to go to Tso Moriri.

Last edited by adimicra : 23rd April 2018 at 21:28.
Old 25th April 2018, 08:46   #1565
Senior - BHPian

We are planning a road trip from Kerala to Leh (Aug 2018-Onam vacations). Vehicle is Innova Crysta AT and we are four adults and three kids, all are used to long drives.

Our plan is to be at the most beautiful places and working out a plan since leaves are very short.

I have done Delhi-Kochi drive a couple of times but anything beyond Jammu is new. Request your support in Jammu-Srinagar-Kargin-Leh-Manali route. Some info on must go places and days required will really help us in planning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th April 2018, 09:24   #1566
Senior - BHPian

I am just going to make a general comment here regarding some of the aspirational schedules that some of you have posted in recent few days -

Why are you guys trying to make your Ladakh itinerary into a whistle-stop pilgrimage -style tour? There are different zones in Ladakh, and each of them offers a unique experience. However, to soak in that distinct experience in any particular zone, it is best to spend at least 2-3 days in each zone, rather than do a touch-and-go.

My suggestion would be to modify your itinerary to give you more time in each place, and lesser time driving in Ladakh. If you are short on days, it is better that you do only 1 zone in totality and save the other zones for other trips. Moreover, do account for unforeseen delays, or sickness, because that can definitely happen when you are least expecting it.

Last edited by roy_libran : 25th April 2018 at 09:26.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 14:34   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
If you are short on days, it is better that you do only 1 zone in totality and save the other zones for other trips.
Agree with your view. That's exactly what I am doing. This May, it is my 4th trip to Ladakh region. I have covered Nubra, Turtuk, Panamik and Hanle in my previous trips. This time, I am going to do Pangong to Tso Moriri. However, I can not skip the major and flagship attractions. It's my fourth trip but my other travel mates are frist timers.

Quote:
Moreover, do account for unforeseen delays, or sickness, because that can definitely happen when you are least expecting it.
Yes, I kept two days as the buffer. They are not mentioned in our day to day itinerary.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 15:08   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
However, I can not skip the major and flagship attractions. It's my fourth trip but my other travel mates are frist timers.
Hahahahaha. I know EXACTLY what that feels like.
I am off to Andamans (again) in May, and am having to spend time in Havelock and Neil, for this very reason. Left to me, I would have given these islands a miss, and spent all my time in Middle and North Andaman, trekking and exploring.

Anyway, coming back to Ladakh itineraries, I see that many people are planning a lot of driving distances on a daily basis, and that doesn't make for a good trip or experience. This isn't directed at your itinerary, but it's a general comment.
For example - One may start from Leh, cross Khardung La, and reach Nubra (Diskit etc.) It's almost late afternoon when one typically reaches and next morning scoots back towards Leh to reach Pangong the same day (even if taking the Wari La or Agham-Shyok route). Then again a night in Pangong, and then push back to Leh or onwards to Tso Moriri.
The Nubra valley throws up such interesting weather systems, even every few hours, there's so much local culture to experience, one can go up to Turtuk or take the Panamik route. Interact with the Army guys, who are extremely friendly. Chang Thang is so beautiful! A lot of times I think, it's beauty is lost on people who only see Pangong as the objective.... You get the drift.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 21:06   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I would skip Nubra if I was so keen on Tso Morriri *and* short of days. Too much time in a taxi can be taxing (pun not intended). When you reach the destination, you will be tired and not in the best mood to enjoy it. Covering less places at leisure is far more enjoyable. If you have time on hand, impromptu stops don't hurt and even refresh you for the next few hours. Just something to think about while planning 8-10 hr+ drives in such terrain.

Once you visit Ladakh, you are bound to go there again. So don't regret leaving something out. Maybe next time.
Quote:
I am just going to make a general comment here regarding some of the aspirational schedules that some of you have posted in recent few days -

Why are you guys trying to make your Ladakh itinerary into a whistle-stop pilgrimage -style tour? There are different zones in Ladakh, and each of them offers a unique experience. However, to soak in that distinct experience in any particular zone, it is best to spend at least 2-3 days in each zone, rather than do a touch-and-go.

My suggestion would be to modify your itinerary to give you more time in each place, and lesser time driving in Ladakh. If you are short on days, it is better that you do only 1 zone in totality and save the other zones for other trips. Moreover, do account for unforeseen delays, or sickness, because that can definitely happen when you are least expecting it.
Quote:
Agree with your view. That's exactly what I am doing. This May, it is my 4th trip to Ladakh region. I have covered Nubra, Turtuk, Panamik and Hanle in my previous trips. This time, I am going to do Pangong to Tso Moriri. However, I can not skip the major and flagship attractions. It's my fourth trip but my other travel mates are frist timers.

Yes, I kept two days as the buffer. They are not mentioned in our day to day itinerary.
Quote:
Hahahahaha. I know EXACTLY what that feels like.
I am off to Andamans (again) in May, and am having to spend time in Havelock and Neil, for this very reason. Left to me, I would have given these islands a miss, and spent all my time in Middle and North Andaman, trekking and exploring.

Anyway, coming back to Ladakh itineraries, I see that many people are planning a lot of driving distances on a daily basis, and that doesn't make for a good trip or experience. This isn't directed at your itinerary, but it's a general comment.
For example - One may start from Leh, cross Khardung La, and reach Nubra (Diskit etc.) It's almost late afternoon when one typically reaches and next morning scoots back towards Leh to reach Pangong the same day (even if taking the Wari La or Agham-Shyok route). Then again a night in Pangong, and then push back to Leh or onwards to Tso Moriri.
The Nubra valley throws up such interesting weather systems, even every few hours, there's so much local culture to experience, one can go up to Turtuk or take the Panamik route. Interact with the Army guys, who are extremely friendly. Chang Thang is so beautiful! A lot of times I think, it's beauty is lost on people who only see Pangong as the objective.... You get the drift.
I see the same sentiment in the above posts which is great really. I don't want to rush my vacation normally but Ladakh has these pretty long drives which really can't be avoided I feel. So, can you please provide some alternate itineraries so that I can understand what you mean. I can't spend 5 days in Nubra valley. So, going to Pangong seems a good option. So, I am not sure what are the alternate plans (consider Plan B and Plan C in my earlier post)
Old 30th April 2018, 08:59   #1570
Senior - BHPian

I am very much confused about Pangong to Tso Moriri (Korzok) direct route. Google baba is forcing me to take Route 2( image attached), which is longer.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-via-nyoma.jpg

I want to do Pangong Tso to Korzok by Merak – Chusul – Nama – Kaksang La – Horala – Mahe – Sumdo – Kiagar Tso – Tso Moriri (Korzok) route, which tsk1979 did this route during this trip " 18 Passes, 15 lakes and 2 breakdowns: Ladakh and Lahaul call again".

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...all-again.html (18 Passes, 15 lakes and 2 breakdowns : Ladakh and Lahaul call again)
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-hor-la.jpg

My questions are..

1. Do they give the permit for Route 1?
2. How are the roads?
3. Do red marked route in bellow images exists?

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-tsk1979.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 11:45   #1571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I want to do Pangong Tso to Korzok by Merak – Chusul – Nama – Kaksang La – Horala – Mahe – Sumdo – Kiagar Tso – Tso Moriri (Korzok) route, which tsk1979 did this route during this trip " 18 Passes, 15 lakes and 2 breakdowns: Ladakh and Lahaul call again".
My questions are..
1. Do they give the permit for Route 1?
2. How are the roads?
3. Do red marked route in bellow images exists?
Not entirely sure but some bikers who did this road in 2016-17 mentioned it was full of broken stones. The kinds used as a base layer before laying out the road. ADC reported the same when he was on his cycling expedition to the region. So maybe this route is ready now with fresh tarmac. But unfortunately no way to know for certain unless you know someone posted there (ITBP/Army/BRO).
Old 1st May 2018, 12:08   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
. ADC reported the same when he was on his cycling expedition to the region. .
I have gone through almost all the travelogues with mention of this route ( Chusul – Nama – Kaksang La – Horla – Mahe ). Actually, there are a few people who did this route, most of the people did Pangong to Korzok by Tsaga La-Loma-Nyoma. The great tsk1979 and ADC's logs are amazing, who talks about Yaye Tso, Mirpal Tso and Kiagar Tso.

Quote:
So maybe this route is ready now with fresh tarmac. But unfortunately, no way to know for certain unless you know someone posted there (ITBP/Army/BRO)
Some of the locals(hotel owner at Leh) are not even aware of Hor La and when they are not aware of something, they always say that, its ARMY exclusive route. My homestay guy at Merak says that Hor La route is not for civilians.

So, After all the research and talking with some locals, we decided to go to Chusul and than decide which route to take. If we are not allowed to go via HorLa, we are ok with Tsaga La- Loma-Nyoma route.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-22.jpg
Old 1st May 2018, 23:31   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Manali-Leh road to open by mid-May.

Quote:
Mandi, April 30

The Border Roads Organisation is struggling hard to restore the traffic movement on the Manali-Leh highway via the Baralacha Pass.

The BRO, entrusted with the task to clear the highway of snow, intends to complete the work in two weeks. The highway was blocked in November due to heavy snowfall.

The restoration of this road will open the door for the people of tribal district of Lahaul-Spiti to run tourism activities in the region for self-employment.

After connecting the 13,050 feet high Rohtang Pass, now the BRO has engaged its workforce and machinery towards the Baralacha Pass.
News Source:http://www.tribuneindia.com/mobi/new...ay/582087.html
Old 5th May 2018, 11:00   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manali-Leh road to open by mid-May.
BRO clears snow from Baralacha Pass, Leh road to open in a week.

Quote:
May 4, 2018, 07:49 IST.
Fighting the spring snowfall, which has been continuing since early April, Border Roads Organization (BRO) that planned to open the Manali-Leh highway for traffic movement by May 5 has now set a target of May 10 despite inclement weather conditions.

According to Vijay Kumar, last year the Manali-Leh highway had opened on May 25 but this time they would open it two weeks in advance. Last year most of the stretches had no snow or depth was less due to melting by natural phenomenon. This year, the jawans have reached Baralacha early and they are faced with mountains of snow

High peaks of Himachal are still experiencing fresh snowfall. Rohtang has recently received 5cm fresh snow. There is the forecast of more snowfall on high hills in the next one week and that can further delay the opening of Manali-Leh highway.
News Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64021872.cms
Old 7th May 2018, 16:24   #1575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, After all the research and talking with some locals, we decided to go to Chusul and than decide which route to take. If we are not allowed to go via HorLa, we are ok with Tsaga La- Loma-Nyoma route.
Yup, that would be the most sensible choice. On the other route you can stop by the Rezang La war memorial and also see the Spanggur Gap/Maggar Hill/Gurung Hill from a distance.

ATB!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed