Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2018, 12:22   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Removing of all campsites from Pangong is welcome. All that 3 idiot drama will go.
Wonder what will happen to the permanament structures. Hope they are broken as well.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:25   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Yes, they do. Not only Taxi unions but local traffic cops also check the documents of private cars.
Thats not true, didn't happened once with us, we were multiple private SUVs. We were once asked at the start of drive to Khardungla, probably by Taxi Union guys, but 10 sec stop it was

Just completed a drive to Ladakh
Route:

Manali - Rohtang - Jispa (Night Stay) - Darcha - Sarchu - Shey (Night Stay) - Local around Leh - Khardungla - Diskit (Night Stay) - Hunder - Agham - Shayok - Durbuk - Lukung - Spangmik (Night Stay) - Merek - Chusul - Tsaga La - Loma - Rhongo - Hanle (Night Stay) - Loma - Nyoma - Mahe - Sumdo - Karzok (Night Stay) - Mahe - Chumathang - Leh - Alchi (Night Stay) - Kargil - Zozila - Sonamarg - Dal Lake (Night Stay) - Back to Delhi

Online Permit process quite smooth now

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_4890edit.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-rkb_7096.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_5078edit.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_5080edit.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_5138.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-dsc_5100edit.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-rkb_7122.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st September 2018 at 14:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
rkbharat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:57   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thats not true, didn't happen once with us,
It's possible that they didn't check your documents but it doesn't mean that my statement is not true. I visited Ladakh three times after 2015 Taxi mafia Outrage by personal car and they checked our documents. Maybe you were lucky or taxi unions were lazy.

By the way amazing photographs, thanks for sharing.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 09:38   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's possible that they didn't check your documents but it doesn't mean that my statement is not true. I visited Ladakh three times after 2015 Taxi mafia Outrage by personal car and they checked our documents. Maybe you were lucky or taxi unions were lazy.

By the way amazing photographs, thanks for sharing.
Thanks sir, BTW, I travelled there more than 5 times in last 2 months
rkbharat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 10:23   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route:

Manali - Rohtang - Jispa (Night Stay) - Darcha - Sarchu - Shey (Night Stay) - Local around Leh - Khardungla - Diskit (Night Stay) - Hunder - Agham - Shayok - Durbuk - Lukung - Spangmik (Night Stay) - Merek - Chusul - Tsaga La - Loma - Rhongo - Hanle (Night Stay) - Loma - Nyoma - Mahe - Sumdo - Karzok (Night Stay) - Mahe - Chumathang - Leh - Alchi (Night Stay) - Kargil - Zozila - Sonamarg - Dal Lake (Night Stay) - Back to Delhi

RK Awesome sets of pictures as usual. How is the permit scenario for Hanle area? BTW, is the white Fortuner the replacement for the green gypsy?
Old 5th September 2018, 10:28   #1641
BHPian

Quote:

I did Ladakh 6 times last year in my XUV. Documents checked not even once. Yes I was stopped and asked just as you leave Leh towards Khardung la but thats about it. And they even smile when you stop
BunnyPunia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 19:06   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
RK Awesome sets of pictures as usual. How is the permit scenario for Hanle area? BTW, is the white Fortuner the replacement for the green gypsy?
Permit scenario is pretty much simplified now. Fill it online at home, pay online, get the hologram pasted at Leh, and Permit center. No more visit to DC office required.

Hanle area is all good, not fuss over camera as well.

Gypsy stays, Fortuner belongs to client
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 22:20   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I visited Ladakh three times after 2015 Taxi mafia Outrage by personal car and they checked our documents. Maybe you were lucky or taxi unions were lazy.
I visited Ladakh towards the end of Sept. 2015 when the checking was quite strong. We were three friends. My XUV5OO was registered on my wife's name and she was not travelling with us. Thankfully we were just verbally asked once in the whole trip without a check on the documents. Was very confident in answering. One of the main reasons could be the end of the season where Leh was almost empty.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 13:15   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I visited Ladakh towards the end of Sept. 2015 when the checking was quite strong. We were three friends. My XUV5OO was registered on my wife's name and she was not travelling with us. Thankfully we were just verbally asked once in the whole trip without a check on the documents. Was very confident in answering. One of the main reasons could be the end of the season where Leh was almost empty.
But surely a vehicle in your wife's (or any close family member, for that matter) name being taken through there, should surely be "acceptable" to these goons?
Or is that also a problem?

Quote:
Thats not true, didn't happened once with us, we were multiple private SUVs. We were once asked at the start of drive to Khardungla, probably by Taxi Union guys, but 10 sec stop it was
Route:
Attachment 1795015
Thanks for sharing.
Both the info and photographs. I find the shot I quoted simply mesmerising.

What equipment did you use?
And could you share them in full resolution somehow? Would love to use them as wallpapers on my laptop - if you don't mind me using them, of course.
Cheers!

Last edited by Mu009 : 6th September 2018 at 13:35. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 13:25   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
But surely a vehicle in your wife's (or any close family member, for that matter) being taken through there, should surely be "acceptable" to these goons?
Or is that also a problem?
As per what I have heard and read in various forums, is that the actual registered owner should be present in the vehicle either driving or as a passenger. If not then a letter of permission to drive should be given by the owner. A sample of this letter was provided by someone on the FB HVK group. Now again the question is, is this accepted by the Leh administration.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 15:04   #1646
BHPian

Just visited Pangong yesterday. No checking of documents or anything. Was in my own car. Was not stopped. They seem to have a check post setup at Karu at the circle just before you take the left towards Sakti. There were 2 guys there while we were on our way but they didn't stop us. On our return no one was there.

The weather in Leh seems to have turned bad so I am currently abandoning all other plans and heading back to the plains using the srinagar route. Manali and other places are also experiencing a lot of rainfall and hence don't want to take the risk of getting stuck due to a landslide or anything as such. Most places up here are witnessing a lot of snow and the road to pangong is getting worse by the day.
Old 9th September 2018, 19:35   #1647
BHPian

All set to drive up to Leh Ladakh from Bangalore by car this month and here is the itinerary.

Day 1 Bangalore to Nagpur
Day 2 Nagpur to Delhi
Day 3 Delhi to Jammu
Day 4 Jammu to Srinagar
Day 5 Srinagar to Kargil
Day 6 Kargil to Leh
Day 7 Sightseeting in Leh
Day 8 Leh to Nubra Valley
Day 9 Nubra Valley to Pangong Lake (Spangmik)
Day 10 Pangong Lake to Tso Moriri (Karzok)
Day 11 Tso Moriri to Sarchu
Day 12 Sarchu to Manali
Day 13 Manali to Delhi
Day 14 Delhi to Udaipur
Day 15 Udaipur to Pune
Day 16 Pune to Bangalore

I have read that the weather is usually good this month and crowds getting lesser by the day. Driving a family Innova belonging to my brother who is not traveling with me. So keeping fingers crossed on the Taxi union hurdle. Regarding fuel, I have 2*20 litres jerry cans for carrying diesel when driving Tso Moriri.

I have 2 areas where I need advice -
  1. On accommodation, I haven't booked anything and I understand it is easy to go there and find by ourselves and pre booking is not required. Will there be any accommodation related challenges in the places I am visiting?
  2. Is the above circuit is doable in an Innova (pre Crysta) during this time of the year?
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 20:18   #1648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post

I have read that the weather is usually good this month and crowds getting lesser by the day. Driving a family Innova belonging to my brother who is not traveling with me. So keeping fingers crossed on the Taxi union hurdle. Regarding fuel, I have 2*20 litres jerry cans for carrying diesel when driving Tso Moriri.

I have 2 areas where I need advice -
  1. On accommodation, I haven't booked anything and I understand it is easy to go there and find by ourselves and pre booking is not required. Will there be any accommodation related challenges in the places I am visiting?
  2. Is the above circuit is doable in an Innova (pre Crysta) during this time of the year?

Your itinerary is ok and manageable but there is no buffer day. You can add one day.

Innova is a good car and most taxis in Leh are Innova. The only difference is that they know the road better than you.

A 4x4 vehicle is preferable especially from Pangong to Tso morori. The route from Spangmik is a dirt track and there are numerous tracks all around. So if you don't take the right track, you can get stuck. So navigate with caution.

Please carry a whole list of items like tyre inflator. You can search for it online.

September month is good but it usually starts snowing anytime after 15-20 September. You are bound to get snow especially at Changla and the other high passes.

Hotels in and around Leh are not that full and you can bargain at some places.

In regards to registration of the car, it would be better to carry a letter of authorization from the registered owner and a copy of his identity like aadhaar card.

All the best.

Note: Above is from personal experience of driving in Ladakh by XUV5OO in Sept. 2015 .

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 9th September 2018 at 20:23.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 20:28   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Your itenanry is ok and manageable but there is no buffer day. You can add one day.
Thanks ruzbehxyz. I have 2 days of buffer which I have not mentioned in my post. I will make changes on the go in case I am forced to take a taxi at Leh to go to Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso.

Just another question - Are we forced to take Taxis to Tso Moriri and Hanle as well from Leh? Or we can get out of Leh on our own and drive down to Tso Moriri before exiting J&K to Manali?
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 20:35   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post

Just another question - Are we forced to take Taxis to Tso Moriri and Hanle as well from Leh? Or we can get out of Leh on our own and drive down to Tso Moriri before exiting J&K to Manali?

As you must be already aware, you have to take a permit for Hanle, Pangong etc. So the one day in Leh which should ideally be a week day, should be utilised for permits and basic car servicing. Heard that permits are online now. So please check. The only hurdle for you is that the registered owner is not travelling with you.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 9th September 2018 at 20:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks