Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:11   #1666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys, heading to Narkhanda, and I was wondering if this route via Chail sanctuary and then onwards to Kufri which completely bypasses Shimla would be a better treat to take as opposed to the regular route?

Attachment 1800088

Are the roads good enough for motorcycles? Do you guys think its worth the extra mileage? Our start point is Greater Noida, so what time do you think it will be when we reach Narkhanda via this route?

I have heard of some horrible traffic snarls via Shimla.

The route is doable and manageable. Going through Shimla town will consume a hell lot of time.

Your travel period from Greater Noida to Narkanda will be atleast 13-14 hours. So better to start early in the morning and reach Narkanda before sunset.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 06:13   #1667
BHPian

Travellers planning Leh to Manali in next 48 hours just a heads up. Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Baseer Ahmed Khan, has directed that as a precautionary measure no traffic will be allowed to ply on Leh-Manali Road for the next 48 hours, in view of the weather advisory, issued by Met Department.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:13   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Baseer Ahmed Khan, has directed that as a precautionary measure no traffic will be allowed to ply on Leh-Manali Road for the next 48 hours.
Hear is weather advisory.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-img20180923wa0008.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:49   #1669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
The route is doable and manageable. Going through Shimla town will consume a hell lot of time.

Your travel period from Greater Noida to Narkanda will be atleast 13-14 hours. So better to start early in the morning and reach Narkanda before sunset.
Only issue is i am doing this route on oct 2 which is a holiday. I have been advised that the route via chail is not advisable on holidays as there is very bad drunk traffic on that route. But the traffic on the shimla route worries me. I understand i can take the NH5 bypass and continue on around shimla, is that advisable?
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:58   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Only issue is i am doing this route on oct 2 which is a holiday. I have been advised that the route via chail is not advisable on holidays as there is very bad drunk traffic on that route. But the traffic on the shimla route worries me. I understand i can take the NH5 bypass and continue on around shimla, is that advisable?

I drove on that route in the month of May. Didn't face any issues. But you must leave early from Noida as there are road widening works going on at many places between Zirakpur to Shimla which will slow you down.
Old 23rd September 2018, 18:22   #1671
BHPian

Hello, I am planning a trip to leh on 24th october. Will take a flight from Delhi to Leh, and then package tour of Leh, Nubra and Pangong. Is the trip advisable at that time of the year? I have contacted a few agencies and they have assured me that all the roads will be operational and the trip is possible. Experts please guide.
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:23   #1672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
Hello, I am planning a trip to leh on 24th october. Will take a flight from Delhi to Leh, and then package tour of Leh, Nubra and Pangong. Is the trip advisable at that time of the year? I have contacted a few agencies and they have assured me that all the roads will be operational and the trip is possible. Experts please guide.
Thats pretty late. Snowfall will have started by Oct second week in Pangong and the route will most likely be closed or very risky. Nubra may be accessible though. It may also have started to snow in Leh too by then.
Old 24th September 2018, 04:52   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
You need to cross Khardung la to go to Nubra Valley and Chang La for Pangong lake. Both Nubra and Pangong are major gateways for Army. BRO work hard to keep these two passes open all the time. They can not afford to keep these passes blocked for more than two days. So yes all the roads to Pangong and Nubra will be operational. However, keep one or two days buffer in your trip.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 13:39   #1674
BHPian

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I have received a quotation of 46k for 5 nights and 6 days package covering Leh, Nubra and Pangong for 2 persons. Hotels included are Mahey Retreat in Leh, hotel Habib in Nubra and Pangong inn cottages in Pangong. Any idea if I am being over charged or the rates are reasonable?

I have googled about the hotels and the reviews seemed good.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:34   #1675
Senior - BHPian

A tidbit from today's Indian Express.
Quote:

Leh school to demolish 3 Idiots-fame 'Rancho Wall’, bans entry of tourists
Quote:
In a bid to reduce tourist activities and prevent distraction for students, the Druk Padma Karpo School in Leh has decided to demolish the ‘Rancho Wall’ and ban the entry of tourists in the school
Quote:
The movie gave a lot of publicity to the school and it became a must visit for the tourists visiting Ladakh. However, we realised that the purpose of having a school in the area was getting defeated. Not only students were getting distracted by the tourists flocking the school but also every day the campus was being reduced to a litter ground,” school principal Stanzin Kunzang told PTI
Why is this information being shared here?
Quote:
The movie also made famous the Pangong Tso lake which was featured in the climax scene.
Old 27th September 2018, 20:25   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, anyone in the know on the situation in spiti? Does it make sense going there at this point? Will places be open? I am getting conflicting news that food rations are probably very thinned out at most homestays etc along the entire circuit.

What about kunzum la? Will it open up if the weather stays fair?
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:12   #1677
Senior - BHPian

9 days after the snowfall, Leh-Manali road opens.

Quote:
Oct 2, 2018, 08:04 IST

Nine days after very heavy snowfall had completely blocked Manali-Leh highway with 2 to 20ft of snow, Border Roads Organization (BRO) on Monday cleared Manali-Sarchu stretch. The road will be opened for one way traffic from Keylong to Manali on Tuesday.

Hundreds of vehicles including taxis, tankers and supply trucks had been stranded in Lahaul. The one-way traffic from Lahaul to Manali will be allowed on Tuesday from 8am to 3pm to evacuate these vehicles. BRO jawans worked day and night to clear snow and repair damaged stretches.
News Source
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:44   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
9 days after the snowfall, Leh-Manali road opens.

News Source
Just returned from my Ladakh Trip on Monday. Was stranded in Pang on the way to Sarchu last week for 4 days due to heavy snow and road closure on both sides (towards Manali and Leh).

The road to Leh via Tanglang la pass opened after 4 days and I headed back via Leh Srinagar route. Good I did not wait for Manali route to be clear.
Maibaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 12:13   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, anyone in the know on the situation in spiti? Does it make sense going there at this point? Will places be open?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Just returned from my Ladakh Trip on Monday. Good I did not wait for Manali route to be clear.
Could you provide an update on the status of the route? Would it be advisable to undertake Manali - Leh - Srinagar or Srinagar - Leh - Srinagar route via car during October 10, 2018 - October 24, 2018?
Old 4th October 2018, 12:21   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Could you provide an update on the status of the route? Would it be advisable to undertake Manali - Leh - Srinagar or Srinagar - Leh - Srinagar route via car during October 10, 2018 - October 24, 2018?

Since yesterday Srinagar Leh route has been closed due to heavy rains in Sonamarg and snow on zojila. Traffic from both sides have been halted.
rajamuneeb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed