Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2018, 14:43   #1696
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

After trying for many years, it looks like my wish to do a road trip to Ladhak may finally become a reality in May 2019. But I am not sure if mid-May will be a good time to do a road trip to Ladhak? Some friends said that all roads/passes may not have fully opened till end-May. There will be lot of slush and mud due to the melting snow. Pl advice. It will help me in planning my trip.
Old 8th December 2018, 14:53   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Pl advice. It will help me in planning my trip.
Have a look at my travelogue of Ladakh trip during 11/05/2018 to 22/05/2018. Normally highpasses on Manali Leh road open after 14th May. That's a normal scenario. I suggest you keep an eye on news of road opening in this region. However, Second half of May month(after 15th May) is the best time to witness snow-walls on the high passes.

... (Ladakh: Four Idiots & One XUV500)
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 00:08   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Have a look at my travelogue of Ladakh trip during 11/05/2018 to 22/05/2018. Normally highpasses on Manali Leh road open after 14th May. That's a normal scenario. I suggest you keep an eye on news of road opening in this region. However, Second half of May month(after 15th May) is the best time to witness snow-walls on the high passes.

... (Ladakh: Four Idiots & One XUV500)
Thanks for sharing your travelogue. Enjoyed reading it especially your comment on last page that May is the best time to do a road trip to Ladhak. More excited also because you guys did the trip from Ahmedabad - I was in Ahmedabad for over 35 years before shifting to Bangalore 3 years ago. Will surely keep coming to you with tons of queries as I work out my travel plans
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:34   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Government opens up new routes for tourists in Ladakh.
Quote:
The home ministry on Tuesday cleared the state government ’s proposal to open up five new routes through the moonscape for tourists and four trails for trekkers
Quote:
The validity of tourist permits for travelling through the new and existing routes has also been increased to 15 days from seven days at present. This will make it easier for tourists to draw up their itinerary across Ladakh district.
News Source.

1. Merak- Loma Bend(Leh – Chumathang – Mahe – Nyoma – Loma Bend.)

2. Chusul- Kaksang La-Mahe( Chusul – Nama – Kaksang La – Horla – Mahe )

Quote:
I have gone through almost all the travelogues with mention of this route ( Chusul – Nama – Kaksang La – Horla – Mahe ). Actually, there are a few people who did this route, most of the people did Pangong to Korzok by Tsaga La-Loma-Nyoma. The great tsk1979 and ADC's logs are amazing, who talks about Yaye Tso, Mirpal Tso and Kiagar Tso.
3. Durbuk – shahikul – Tharuk – Sato Kargyam – Parma – Erath – Chusul and Loma – Hanley

I am not sure about this route. However, my understanding says this route is Tangste-Chusul-Hanle. Any input?

4. Korzok – Nurbo – Sumdo – Parangla – Kazaand
5. Agham – Shayok – Durbuk

It looks like, they have officially allowed tourist to use these routes, where tourists had been travelling for the past several years.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-leh_map.jpg

Last edited by SJM1214 : 19th December 2018 at 10:51.
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 16:35   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Government opens up new routes for tourists in Ladakh.
4. Korzok – Nurbo – Sumdo – Parangla – Kazaand
This must be the trek route. But then I have seen several trek agencies already offering this trek connecting Spiti to Ladakh. Maybe it wasn't allowed in the reverse direction - Ladakh to Spiti.

Good thing these routes are opened up, will surely reduce the time it took in the DC office to convince them for these places.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 22:51   #1701

A long due Leh-ladakh trip has been seeing light and a plan has been set accordingly. We'll be driving Chandigarh-Srinagar-leh-Manali-Chandigarh route.

I'd like to know if the roads are completely functional and cleared on this route 'Srinagar-leh' and Leh-Manali" by Mid-March until the end of the April. Any help/suggestion around this would be really helpful.

Any source of live update on these highways to follow?
Old 8th January 2019, 15:33   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeDrive View Post
A long due Leh-ladakh trip has been seeing light and a plan has been set accordingly. We'll be driving Chandigarh-Srinagar-leh-Manali-Chandigarh route.

I'd like to know if the roads are completely functional and cleared on this route 'Srinagar-leh' and Leh-Manali" by Mid-March until the end of the April. Any help/suggestion around this would be really helpful.

Any source of live update on these highways to follow?
Wishing you happy & safe trip, but schedule will mostly need to be postponed.
a) Traditionally, the Srinagar - Leh stretch (ZojiLa pass is major obstruction) opens earliest by end-April or early-May, but in the initial days the road would be quite bad in shape.
b) For the Leh - Manali route, traditionally the route opens by late-May, but the same bad shape for initial few days.
c) Zanskar route typically doesnt open before late-May.

In the initial days, there are occasional chances those roads around Ladakh sector again shut for a day or two, because of bad weather or bad road. Allow me to repeat - to tackle bad roads, a good GC vehicle would be nice.

So, kindly plan your trip accordingly, and postpone to get earliest by W2-May and W4-May for respective routes.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 8th January 2019 at 15:37.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 07:48   #1703
BHPian

We are planning to drive to Ladhak in mid May. But our 2 major concerns are:

1) how risky it would be to do a road trip with family at the start of the season. The roads would just be opening and they would be in a pretty bad shape.

2) how advisable is it to do the trip with 2 kids age 6 and 10? Anybody who has done a family trip with kids please share your experience.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:47   #1704
BHPian

Mid May is too early for Leh; the Rohtang pass would not have opened and Zojila is iffy. Best to postpone to late July or even better early September.

Travelling with kids is no problem; keep them in the loop by asking them to plan the trip and spot landscapes of interest on the drive. You should appear to be using their plan with some refinement of course. They will be so proud to have contributed in a major way to the trip.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 16:14   #1705
BHPian

This trip is on my bucketlist for long. I intend to drive from Bangalore and targeting September 2019 time frames. I have already applied leaves like three full working weeks with weekends. Will that be a good bet? I have a WagonR do you guys think the small car can take the trip?

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your travelogue. Enjoyed reading it especially your comment on last page that May is the best time to do a road trip to Ladhak. More excited also because you guys did the trip from Ahmedabad - I was in Ahmedabad for over 35 years before shifting to Bangalore 3 years ago. Will surely keep coming to you with tons of queries as I work out my travel plans
When are you planning to drive?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 16:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged + please take the time to format your posts properly.
Old 20th January 2019, 19:08   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
This trip is on my bucketlist for long. I intend to drive from Bangalore and targeting September 2019 time frames. I have already applied leaves like three full working weeks with weekends. Will that be a good bet? I have a WagonR do you guys think the small car can take the trip?
I've seen people do Khardungla with their i10s, so wagonR should be alright considering it's small wheel base but be prepared with an engine/oil sump guard as you'll get many hits from rocks etc.

I saw that petrol cars fared better at higher altitudes (we were traveling in a diesel that was struggling after 15,000ft)
3 weeks is a good bet.
Old 20th January 2019, 21:15   #1707
BHPian

Quote:

@Coolrats and @Sandy, I am also planning a solo trip during Aug or Sep 2019, flexible with dates, starting from BLR
Old 20th January 2019, 23:18   #1708
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
@Coolrats and @Sandy, I am also planning a solo trip during Aug or Sep 2019, flexible with dates, starting from BLR
Hi I am planning in mid-May. Thats the only time that works for me considering school and office schedules.

@Coolrats, are you planning a family trip or with friends?

@shivshanker, are you planning a road trip?
Old 20th January 2019, 23:54   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Will that be a good bet? I have a WagonR do you guys think the small car can take the trip?

I have done Ladakh from Hyderabad in two weeks and covered most of the spots. So three weeks should be good.
My only suggestion, please don't try Shyok with WagonR. From Nubra come back to Leh and take the regular route for Pangong
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 08:58   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Hi I am planning in mid-May. Thats the only time that works for me considering school and office schedules.
NAG
@Coolrats, are you planning a family trip or with friends?

@shivshanker, are you planning a road trip?
Yes, a road trip, contemplating if I should start from BLR and go via HYD and NAG or via BOM, BOM will add atleast another 1000 kms. all depends on number of days that I can take off from Office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks