Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 22:41   #1756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Considering that I will be doing the trip starting mid-May, there are chances the Manali route may not have opened by then. My plan as of now is to take the Srinagar - Kargil route while going and keep the option of returning the same way in case Manali route is not open by then. That is where the concern is.

How much time does it take to get the permits? Did you apply online?
It will not take much time, hardly 30 mins. Apply online before going.
Old 26th March 2019, 15:13   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

This doesn't seem possible. Looking at the amount of snowfall last during winter, I strongly doubt this.

Leh-Manali road likely to be reopened in April

Quote:
Srinagar, March 23
The snowbound Leh-Manali highway is likely to be reopened in the second week of April as the Border Roads Organisation has started clearing snow, officials said. The highway was closed to traffic on November 20 last year due to the accumulation of snow.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 08:07   #1758
BHPian

Few of my friends are planning to fly to Leh and back to Bangalore. We have only 5-6 days. So my question is it possible for do this trip? What places can we cover and can we get some mode of transport to see around? Also some info on accommodation pls. Dates are 18-22 April.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th March 2019 at 11:46.
Old 27th March 2019, 11:40   #1759
BHPian

18-22 means just 4 nights. Not a good plan.
18th: Just rest and give time to body to adjust to higher altitudes
19th: Local sightseeing that doesnt involve too much walks. Like confluence / sangam point, pathar saab gurudwara, magnetic hill, hall of fame. Post lunch, if you are feeling okay, head to Shanti Stupa. But walk slowly. Also spend time at the main market - great place, no cars allowed, local shopping etc
20th: Head to Nubra valley via K-top. Do camel rides at Hunder. ATV riding before hitting Nubra.
21st: Head back to Leh. Can do via Pangong. Spend 1 hour there. This will be a 12 hour day.
22nd: Fly back.

In Leh, you can stay at Yangphel. Great place, run by a friend. Number is 9717644102
BunnyPunia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:43   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
18-22 means just 4 nights. Not a good plan.
18th: Just rest and give time to body to adjust to higher altitudes
19th: Local sightseeing that doesnt involve too much walks. Like confluence / sangam point, pathar saab gurudwara, magnetic hill, hall of fame. Post lunch, if you are feeling okay, head to Shanti Stupa. But walk slowly. Also spend time at the main market - great place, no cars allowed, local shopping etc
20th: Head to Nubra valley via K-top. Do camel rides at Hunder. ATV riding before hitting Nubra.
21st: Head back to Leh. Can do via Pangong. Spend 1 hour there. This will be a 12 hour day.
22nd: Fly back.

In Leh, you can stay at Yangphel. Great place, run by a friend. Number is 9717644102
Thanks a ton for your reply!

Can we hire some car for sight seeing? If I stretch the stay to say 5 nights 6 days I can cover a bit more.
Old 27th March 2019, 14:45   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Thanks a ton for your reply!

Can we hire some car for sight seeing? If I stretch the stay to say 5 nights 6 days I can cover a bit more.
One extra day is always helpful : helps cover say Tso Moriri with night at Chumathang Springs. Or the town of Hanley (google for it). One more night also acts as buffer incase roads get blocked due to snow / mini landslides. MPVs with cabs are easily available. But taxis / cabs are expensive in ladakh and make up for 60-70% of the cost of the trip. Do call on that number
Old 12th April 2019, 10:11   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Administration demolishes illegal camps at Pangong Lake; residents march towards Chinese Border in protest.

Quote:
The picturesque Pangong Lake, which falls under Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife Sanctuary, in the eastern part of Ladakh is yet again in the limelight after residents of Spangmik, a village located near the famous lake, reportedly marched towards Chinese border on Wednesday morning in protest against District Administration’s demolition drive to dismantle illegal tourist camps near Pangong Lake.
According to sources Spangmik residents left their livestock locked at home and marched towards the Chinese border. They were later stopped by Army at Border Personnel Meeting (BPM) Point.
News Source.

PS: Guys Traveling to Pangong, Please reconfirm your booking with your agent or camp/hotel owner before arriving at Pangong Lake.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 12th April 2019 at 10:15.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 17:10   #1763
BHPian

Hi all,

A group of friends are planning to go to ladakh by road between 15-23 June. We have 9 days available and will start from Ludhiana. I know time is too less and i tried to convince them to extend by atleast 2-3 days but that seems to be not possible. Also we will be driving regular hatchbacks.

Rough plan-

leave ludhiana on friday the 14th, evening and reach pathankot.

15th Pathankot to Sonmarg
16th Sonmarg to Leh
17th Leh local sighseeing and permits
18th Leh to Hunder (Nubra Valley)
19th Hunder to Leh
20th Leh to Pangong Tso
21st Pangong Tso to Kargil
22nd Kargil to Srinagar (some people take flight out from Srinagar on 22nd or 23rd)
23rd Srinagar to Ludhiana

Are the drives on 15, 16 and 23 even possible?
I have gone to leh before in 2013 and know that manali side is much more scenic but some people going back via srinagar airport dont allow that side. Also manali route might be difficult in hatchbacks in june. I know the plan is not ideal but is it doable? Any inputs on the above?

Last edited by guptavis : 12th April 2019 at 17:11. Reason: typo
Old 12th April 2019, 23:03   #1764
Senior - BHPian

The Leh administration has carried out a demolition drive and cleared all illegal construction of hotels, cafes, guest houses along the banks of the famous Pangong lake.

Source: http://news.statetimes.in/admn-demol...er-in-protest/

After the 3 Idiots movie this serene lake was visited by thousands of Indian and foreign tourists. Finally the nusiense at the lake has ended. I hope it continues like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1555090135404.jpg  

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 12th April 2019 at 23:08.
Old 16th April 2019, 13:28   #1765
BHPian

Hi friends,

We (wifey, a cousin and I) are planning to do the Bangalore to Leh-Ladakh circuit this Aug. The posts here have been great inspiration. Attached is what we were thinking in terms of the itinerary.

- Knowing that now night halt at Pangong is not possible, I am wondering if we can change the route to still cover Pangong and do a stop over somewhere closeby?
- Hanle permits were restricted last year, is there any news about them for this year?
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Ladakh Road Trip.xlsx (11.5 KB, 176 views)
Old 16th April 2019, 13:51   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreddy77 View Post
- Knowing that now night halt at Pangong is not possible, I am wondering if we can change the route to still cover Pangong and do a stop over somewhere closeby?
You can stay at Merak village which has three or four homestay options. Try Peaceful Homestay, I stayed there back in May 2018. It's nice.
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-338.jpg

Quote:
- Hanle permits were restricted last year, is there any news about them for this year?
Hanle is open for tourists now and permits are getting issued for the same.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 16:35   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Hanle is open for tourists now and permits are getting issued for the same.
Thanks SJM for the help. Is there a homestay or such in Hanle that we can stay. Also, can we go from Hanle to Jispa or Keylong in a day (7-8 hrs)?
Old 18th April 2019, 17:57   #1768
Senior - BHPian

An 11 Member team of the Himalayan Heights Expedition comprising of 6 Members of the Indian Army, 4 from Royal Enfield and 1 from Himalayan Motorsports Association rode their bikes over the Chang La and all the way to the Karakoram Pass at 18, 176 feet.

Hopefully one day this are would be opened for Trekkers and other adventure Seekers.

This used to be a part of the Worst Trade Route in the World connecting Kashmir and the Punjab Plains with Central Asia across the Great Himalayan Divide.

Source: https://travelthehimalayas.com/kiki/...e-in-the-world
Old 19th April 2019, 09:01   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Snow at Zoji la is already cleared. Srinagar- Leh road scheduled to open on 25th April 19. All those planning a trip to Leh must go at least one week after road opening to allow the road to settle down.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1555644558074.jpg  

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 19th April 2019 at 09:02.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:38   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreddy77 View Post
Thanks SJM for the help. Is there a homestay or such in Hanle that we can stay. Also, can we go from Hanle to Jispa or Keylong in a day (7-8 hrs)?
There are plenty of Homestays and GHs in Hanle. Hanle to Keylong is 400km, which is not possible in 7 to 8 hours. IMO, Its a 14+ hours drive. If you can add one more day in your itinerary, have a night stay at Tso Moriri.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed