Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 09:39   #1801
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All - i am planning a solo trip to Leh, Ladakh, Kargil and parts of Kashmir. Planning to rent a bullet locally to do this. Require your help in below:

1. Which month should i aim for - I prefer if crowd is less.
2. Any suggested tour operators who can cover/ plan for me?
3. Budget - I am planning a 50k budget. Is this enough to cover initial flight to reach Delhi or nearby, accommodation , tour expenses, food, etc?
4. How many days should i plan for ? I am thinking about 9 days .
5. Is it safe to book via online? I am seeing many bullet tour operators in google search. However I am skeptical of it.

Dear sairamboko,

I have one back seat vacant in my car and can accommodate you to Leh and Leh sight seeing in my car on expenses sharing basis. If you are interested, we can work out further plans. I will start from Delhi on 7 June 2019 and reach Leh on 10 June 2019 evening via srinagar-kargil road. From Leh will go to Pangong Lake, Diskit, Nubra valley and other places. Please call me on 8369936626 if you are interested.
Old 20th May 2019, 17:19   #1802
BHPian

Rohtang Pass opened.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/hi...ns/775300.html
Old 24th May 2019, 12:38   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Hello friends, need a quick update on the Jammu Srinagar highway status. I have been following this route closely and find that it gets shut down every other day due to land slides. I heard that it has been shut down again today morning (14th May).

So is it possible to take the Jammu - Udhampur - Doda -Kishtwar - Anantnag - Srinagar route to reach Srinagar? How is the road conditions for driving a sedan? Also is it advisable to take this route from a general safety perspective?

Need this details urgently. Any update/information or suggestions regarding this query will be very helpful.
Dear Sandy28,

Route from Jammu to Srinagar has ho issues, except from the stretch from Chenani tunnel to Banihal about 30 Km or 1.5 hours that would be very bad stretch with no tar road only mud and gravel track because of the construction going on here. Otherwise good tar road is present all the way. As soon as you enter Srinagar you will be stuck in traffic if you are reaching in the evening after 5 pm.n This may cause additional one hour delay.

I would suggest you to stay in Udhampur instead of Jammu because Jammu is out of way and also that would consumer 2 hours drive more. Udhampur to Srinagar is about 220 Kms or 7 hours non stop drive without traffic disruptions. But generally with lunch and bio stops it will be 9+ hour drive.
Old 27th May 2019, 05:29   #1804

Weather wise is it a good idea to do a Leh roadtrip in September or October?
Old 27th May 2019, 11:15   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipal0006 View Post
September is better. Most of the commercial establishments start closing since mid September and by mid October very few would be open. I'd suggest to complete the trip by end of September.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:38   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipal0006 View Post
Quote:
Why No to Ladakh in October:
• By end of September, winter starts in this area, in case of early snowfall all the high passes on Manali-Leh and Leh-Srinagar highways get blocked.
• Hotels, camps, dhabas start closing business from September end on Manali – Leh Highway.
• Every year during the first week of October, Raid De Himalaya gets organized on this route. Officials of this Rally blocks the road for free passage of participant vehicles. (Our date and time for starting from Manali was same as Raid’s plan).
• The temperature of this region drops to subzero after September, which makes it more difficult.
• No rescue operation after September by Indian Army.
Despite all this, we traveled to the Ladakh region during October back in 2016. October is basically off-season so be ready for fewer numbers of food and accommodation options. However, September-end and October-starting is the best time for Ladakh. Saying that it's very important to keep a close eye on weather and BRO announcement of the road closure.

Have a look at my Ladakh T" log during October.
Ladakh in October. (Ladakh in a Duster AWD)
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 11:27   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Latest Public notice from The Office of Sub-divisional Megistatre. The important point is, one needs a confirmed hotel booking to travel/ drive on Manali Leh road.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-61677164_10217173395820390_1398792400729538560_n.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 14:12   #1808
BHPian

^^^Does this also include private white board vehicles and motorcycles (with the latter both yellow and white)
Old 31st May 2019, 15:31   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
^^^Does this also include private white board vehicles and motorcycles (with the latter both yellow and white)
The word out on the street is that this notification is only, obviously if i may say so, for yellow board vehicles.

Please also note second line: tourist vehicles

Clamping down on movement of white board vehicles is against our constitutional right to move freely in our country barring defence and home ministry reasons.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st May 2019 at 15:32.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 14:42   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Rohtang Pass open for "tourists " visiting Keylong, Leh.

Quote:
Rohtang Pass, the 13,050 feet gateway to Lahaul and Spiti Valley, opened for tourists visiting Keylong and Leh on Thursday.

However, for those intending to visit Rohtang top, the mountain pass will open on June 1.

“For tourists traveling towards Keylong, Pangi, and Leh, the pass is open from today (Thursday), while those who want to exclusively visit Rohtang, it will open on June 1,” said Kullu deputy commissioner Yunus Khan
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 13:31   #1811
BHPian

I just completed my Bangalore - Ladakh road trip. Reached Bangalore yesterday. Some quick updates:
  • Leh - Manali highway was closed when we started our return trip. I inquired with locals at Hemis and was told that the official opening announcement will be made in couple of days. But locals warned that it is best to take this route only after atleast 10-12 days of announcement as the road will be very unstable, especially at the passes (Baralachala, Rohtang) and nallas.
  • Srinagar - Leh highway is fully operational. We took this route for the onward and return journeys.
  • Jammu - Srinagar highway (not the Mughal road) has heavy construction work going between Chenani tunnel and Banihal. So roads are in bad condition and also it is very dusty. Progress will be slow. And if there is any traffic blocks, then it will further slow you down.
  • Post Jawahar tunnel, it is less road and more pot holes till Quazigund.
  • Zozilla pass was more stable during the return trip compared to our onward trip. However, we got stuck in long traffic blocks on both journey.
  • Khardungla was not as tough as I anticipated, thanks to the large scale road work that BRO is doing on this stretch.
  • Changla was the most difficult of all passes; it still had lot of snow on the road and the vehicle tends to slip on it. Add to that, steep climbs, and it was not easy to keep the vehicle under control. Roads were pretty narrow and we had to back up few times to let the oncoming vehicles to pass.
  • Our plan was to take the Agham - Sakti route from Nubra to Pangong. But at Agham, a local told us that the route to Sakti was closed for road work and the only option was the Shyok route. Prior to starting the Ladakh trip, I was told to avoid the Shyok route as I was driving a low GC sedan. However, I felt this road was not that difficult and was manageable in a low GC car as well. Ofcourse, one has to be extremely careful.
  • Zingral to Saki, the road has been completely dug up for road widening work.
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 15:56   #1812
BHPian

Well done Sandy and happy that you could finally tick in the box on a trip that was long due. We will wait for your travelogue and pictures from the trip. Congrats on completion a long time awaited dream come true

Quote:
I just completed my Bangalore - Ladakh road trip. Reached Bangalore yesterday. Some quick updates:
  • Leh - Manali highway was closed when we started our return trip. I inquired with locals at Hemis and was told that the official opening announcement will be made in couple of days. But locals warned that it is best to take this route only after atleast 10-12 days of announcement as the road will be very unstable, especially at the passes (Baralachala, Rohtang) and nallas.
  • Srinagar - Leh highway is fully operational. We took this route for the onward and return journeys.
  • Jammu - Srinagar highway (not the Mughal road) has heavy construction work going between Chenani tunnel and Banihal. So roads are in bad condition and also it is very dusty. Progress will be slow. And if there is any traffic blocks, then it will further slow you down.
  • Post Jawahar tunnel, it is less road and more pot holes till Quazigund.
  • Zozilla pass was more stable during the return trip compared to our onward trip. However, we got stuck in long traffic blocks on both journey.
  • Khardungla was not as tough as I anticipated, thanks to the large scale road work that BRO is doing on this stretch.
  • Changla was the most difficult of all passes; it still had lot of snow on the road and the vehicle tends to slip on it. Add to that, steep climbs, and it was not easy to keep the vehicle under control. Roads were pretty narrow and we had to back up few times to let the oncoming vehicles to pass.
  • Our plan was to take the Agham - Sakti route from Nubra to Pangong. But at Agham, a local told us that the route to Sakti was closed for road work and the only option was the Shyok route. Prior to starting the Ladakh trip, I was told to avoid the Shyok route as I was driving a low GC sedan. However, I felt this road was not that difficult and was manageable in a low GC car as well. Ofcourse, one has to be extremely careful.
  • Zingral to Saki, the road has been completely dug up for road widening work.
coolrats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:06   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
I just completed my Bangalore - Ladakh road trip.
Sandy28,

Look forward to your trip log. We are doing this in July-Aug. Hope the Jammu Srinagar route becomes better by then.
supreddy77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:35   #1814
BHPian

Hi All,

I am driving down to Leh this coming weekend from Delhi and just wanted to check from folks if they recently traveled to Leh via this route from Srinagar as to what time do they open the Zozila pass for travel. Last time they opened the same only post 12 pm in the afternoon due to which i reached Leh in evening.

Are they still opening it late or is it opening earlier in the morning ? any inputs would be appreciated.
Old 11th June 2019, 08:05   #1815
BHPian

LATEST INFO ON MANALI LEH ROAD
I received update that from Leh to Manali two vehicles were allowed yesterday 10 June 2019.
The route is open now.

LATEST INFO ON SRINAGAR LEH ROAD
Very bad condition from Srinagar to Drass. Cars with low base height will have severe problem. I had crossed this patch on 9 June....it was very difficult driving on this patch amongst the JK taxi unruly fellows who will not bear your slow speed and careful traversing. From Kargil to Leh is breeze...excellent road with beautiful scenery.
arun_112 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks