Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 09:37   #1816
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Our road trip from Bangalore to Leh has been brought forward to July 1st week to 3rd week. Will rains create any major issues in July in Leh-Ladakh region?
Old 11th June 2019, 09:40   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Hi All,

I am driving down to Leh this coming weekend from Delhi and just wanted to check from folks if they recently traveled to Leh via this route from Srinagar as to what time do they open the Zozila pass for travel. Last time they opened the same only post 12 pm in the afternoon due to which i reached Leh in evening.

Are they still opening it late or is it opening earlier in the morning ? any inputs would be appreciated.
Travelled on Srinagar Leh route in both directions during my recent Ladakh trip. Crossed Zozila on 6th June in the return journey. The pass is in a bad shape due to recent rains. Was stuck for 4.5 hrs due to a landslide and subsequent cleaning operations. The road was actually in slightly better shape during the onward journey ie 27th May. Brace for traffic jams especially from the trucks and Sumos headed for Zero point. Keep sufficient water and food for the patch and fingers crossed.
nikhil_d1106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 17:13   #1818
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it possible to do the Ladakh circuit in early October?

I'm planning the Delhi - Srinagar - Leh - Chushul Sector - Manali - Delhi circuit in late September which will extend till first week of October. My only concern is if the higher passes would be clear in early October. Any pointers are welcome !
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 22:39   #1819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Is it possible to do the Ladakh circuit in early October?

I'm planning the Delhi - Srinagar - Leh - Chushul Sector - Manali - Delhi circuit in late September which will extend till first week of October. My only concern is if the higher passes would be clear in early October. Any pointers are welcome !
This year the snowfall is really unpredictable. Till last year the high-passes were much more predictable and were open much earlier, but this year for example Kaza- Manali highway, Sach pass are not yet open, Khardungla and Changla are opening but again getting closed due to snowfall.

I will suggest you to wait and watch with an option B & C. Keep two to three route plans. If one doesn't work try the other one.

As per normal condition, September end and October 1st week should be doable, you can expect some snow on the high passes. But as i said it's very tough to predict what will happen this year. Till last year, all were good during your mentioned time. My hunch is whatever happens at-least the Srinagar- Leh highway should be open.

Last edited by Samba : 23rd June 2019 at 22:45.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:11   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishroy View Post
6. Engine Oil
7. Fuse
10. Coolant
Hi Krishroy,

We are now 10 days away from our Leh trip, I am getting the XUV serviced this week. I was wondering if we can buy the engine oil/fuse/coolant/brake fluid etc online as a backup in case the service doesn't have enough. Did you get them from the service center?
Old 24th June 2019, 10:23   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreddy77 View Post
Our road trip from Bangalore to Leh has been brought forward to July 1st week to 3rd week. Will rains create any major issues in July in Leh-Ladakh region?
In Leh-Ladakh region, usually there was not much rain. But last year, when we travelled (last two weeks of July) there was rain almost everyday. Hence roads were muddy. At some place it was difficult to drive. I had to use AWD at some places for easy movement. In case you are not driving AWD, please be little cautious while driving such road.

Another bad stretch would be Gramphoo to Rotang. Rain can create a horror story at that stretch

To answer your other question, yes I got the oils etc from service centers. In case you don't use it, you can utilize them during next service.

Last edited by Krishroy : 24th June 2019 at 10:26.
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 12:02   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishroy View Post
To answer your other question, yes I got the oils etc from service centers. In case you don't use it, you can utilize them during next service.
Got the service done and picked up the oils etc from them. Did you get another checkup done at the Mahindra service center at Leh? I have read a couple of trip-logs where folks have got the car checked at Leh on the acclimatization day.
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:43   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Got the service done and picked up the oils etc from them. Did you get another checkup done at the Mahindra service center at Leh? I have read a couple of trip-logs where folks have got the car checked at Leh on the acclimatization day.
I dont think you need another car check up at Leh, unless you face some issue in your car on road
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:36   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Depends! For example - been through the lot of dust? Cleaning cabin air filter would help. Engine Air filter would also need a quick check to ensure it isn't clogged before you head to KTop. Just to ensure that all fluids are properly topped up, everything is in order including battery health etc wont hurt anyway on a lazy rest day. Instead of sleeping in hotel, you can sit back and relax in the service station while your car is checked and returned to you. Wont take more than 2-3 hours. So no harm doing so - no compulsion in anyway if all is well.
Old 3rd July 2019, 22:08   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Engine Air filter would also need a quick check to ensure it isn't clogged before you head to KTop.
Thanks abirnale. I was thinking about a quick check after reading your trip log. With less than 48 hrs to our trip - the anxiety and excitement is palpable ...
supreddy77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 09:53   #1826
BHPian

Planning for a Ladakh trip from Kerala during August in my Duster AWD. Will be taking the central India route through Nagpur-Agra. Are permits for Hanle,Chushul being issued now? Has anyone applied for ILP permits online through http://lahdclehpermit.in/?
Old 9th July 2019, 19:07   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks abirnale. I was thinking about a quick check after reading your trip log. With less than 48 hrs to our trip - the anxiety and excitement is palpable ...
Hope you are having a great drive? I can very well understand your excitement. Have gone thru it just 2 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Planning for a Ladakh trip from Kerala during August in my Duster AWD. Will be taking the central India route through Nagpur-Agra. Are permits for Hanle,Chushul being issued now? Has anyone applied for ILP permits online through http://lahdclehpermit.in/?
I applied online thru this site when we did our trip in May this year. Hanle permits were issued. We drove up thru the west and came back via the centre
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 09:37   #1828
BHPian

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Leh & Ladakh in the second week of August in a Ford Ecosport 1.5 Petrol AT from Mumbai.

The route in Leh/Ladakh is Srinagar - Leh - Nubra - Leh - Pangong - Leh - Tso Moriri - Sarchu - Manali.

Is there sufficient availability of petrol on the passage? Should I be concerned about the quality?

I am aware that there is no fuel available between Karu & Tandi. This stretch of approx 650 kms will have to be completed without refuelling - will have 2 x 20L jerry cans with petrol with me. Will this be OK?

Appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance
Old 15th July 2019, 11:59   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Is there sufficient availability of petrol on the passage? Should I be concerned about the quality?

I am aware that there is no fuel available between Karu & Tandi. This stretch of approx 650 kms will have to be completed without refuelling - will have 2 x 20L jerry cans with petrol with me. Will this be OK?
I think you already answered your question

Jerry cans will be of help on the last leg before Tandi. The fuel there available in black market is not at all bad. In my experience, Diesel is more readily available than petrol - even the road side bulldozer/ tractor/ truck will happily give you 4-5 ltr diesel just like that! Your homestay/ place of stay should be able to help you with fuel as well - they know where to get what and how much. Also the two jerry cans you are carrying will make sure that you would not need you hunt for fuel anyway unless stuck for longer time in the area.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 07:24   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I think you already answered your question

Jerry cans will be of help on the last leg before Tandi. The fuel there available in black market is not at all bad. In my experience, Diesel is more readily available than petrol - even the road side bulldozer/ tractor/ truck will happily give you 4-5 ltr diesel just like that! Your homestay/ place of stay should be able to help you with fuel as well - they know where to get what and how much. Also the two jerry cans you are carrying will make sure that you would not need you hunt for fuel anyway unless stuck for longer time in the area.
Many thanks, our itinerary has been finalised:-
07 Aug: Amritsar to Banihal
08 Aug: Banihal to Kargil (via Srinagar as we have to pick-up our friends)
09 Aug: Kargil to Leh
10 Aug: Leh
11 Aug: Leh
12 Aug: Leh to Nubra
13 Aug: Nubra - Hunder - Leh
14 Aug: Leh
15 Aug: Leh to Pangong
16 Aug: Pangong to Leh
17 Aug: Leh
18 Aug: Leh to Tso Moriri
19 Aug: Tso Moriri to Sarchu
20 Aug: Sarchu to Manali

As mentioned earlier, I have a Ford Ecosport 1.5T+ AT with 17" rims. I just replaced my Bridgestone Ecopia tyres (under warranty). The spare tyre is also brand new & I am carrying a puncture repair kit & air compressor. Is this ok for the trip ?

Any update on the condition of the roads on the above trip ?
rpunwani is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks