Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:44   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Does it snow towards the end of September? Enough for road closures or blockage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Usually the passes start closing due to snow by mid October. But, you can never know in advance...
September is very safe and the best month when Autumn starts. Even if there is snow in September, it will not be that much to block the toads. It usually snows after 15 October and roads close by November.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:50   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
September is very safe and the best month when Autumn starts. Even if there is snow in September, it will not be that much to block the toads. It usually snows after 15 October and roads close by November.
True, we visited Baralacha Pass on 7th October last year, and there was no snow and it was pretty warm. The passes usually close only after the 15th of October as you have rightly said.

Even I was planning a Manali-Ladakh drive in end September and early October for this very reason.
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 09:23   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1625370241563.jpg

Himachal transport (HRTC) Delhi- Leh bus service resumes from 01st July 2021.

Bus make/type: Tata ordinary 2x3 - 47 seater.
Bus fare from Delhi to Leh: Rs. 1548 /- without accommodation at Keylong.

Delhi Departure: Day 1 at 2.30 pm.
Manali arrival: Day 2 at 5.30 am.
Manali departure: Day 2 at 7.15 am.
Keylong Arrival: Day 2 at 1.30 pm. (Night stay).
Keylong departure: Day 3 at 5.00 am.
Leh Arrival: Day 3 at 7.00 pm.

Note: Keylong arrival timing will be earlier, due to Atal tunnel.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 4th July 2021 at 09:25.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 03:25   #1969
BHPian

Is it fine to visit Ladakh in August (after Independence day)?
Given that we fly to Leh. Is there any chance of rains playing a spoil sport.

It is just a short trip with cousins mainly for sight seeing.
Old 16th July 2021, 09:08   #1970
Senior - BHPian

New traffic flow regulations in Leh. w.e.f. July 2021.

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1626406129540.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1626406132374.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1626406134782.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-fb_img_1626406137487.jpg
Old 20th July 2021, 10:09   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat123 View Post
Given that we fly to Leh. Is there any chance of rains playing a spoil sport.
Traveling in this region, you should always expect the unexpected.
Weather changes quickly, and it could mean that some passes are blocked temporarily, or even flights into Leh get delayed.

Example:
we were flying Del-Leh early June, and while our flight took off on-time, we hovered between Shimla & Leh as the weather had quickly changed at Leh airport. In the end, our plane came back to delhi and we could only fly next day as the window for landings had closed for the day.

As a result, our trip was short on 1 day, and we had to miss Nubra Valley.

And in another instance, on the day of our trip to KhardungLa, it was snowing heavily there & access was restricted. Luckily, it wasn't our last day, so we switched plan to Pangang Tso and did KhardungLa later.

Flexibility in your plans, with inputs from local guides/hosts in Leh will help manage situation better.

Rest assured, there is enough in and around Leh to enjoy! I am sure you will love it
VT-RNS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:29   #1972
BHPian

Hello All,

I've been going through this thread. Got lots of information thanks to all of you.

However, I was not able to gather much information for a person who wants to go on a bike.

I am from Pune. I plan to ride down with another friend. I got a Suzuki Inazuma and my friend has a KTM 390.

I wanted to know

1. If the Inazuma would take the hard conditioned roads. I've ridden a lot on tarmac.

2. We plan end of August 2021 (Hope no third wave)

3. MH (Pune) GJ RJ DEL HP and then Leh. This is out tentative route.

Please do share your inputs and suggestions.

Thanks a ton.

Siddharth.
Old 24th July 2021, 10:24   #1973
BHPian

Good to see lot of people showing enthusiasm for Leh Ladakh now. It is on my cards also since long. Some plans of doing it this September 15-October 10 plus minus 5 days. I will be travelling from Sikkim. Gangtok-Patna-Lucknow-Delhi (I will need 3 days day driving - 1500 Kms to reach Delhi)

Looking for people who are interested for the same.

Prerequisites

Your SUV/Crossover - Preferably 4WD/AWD (Not Motorcycles- Difficult to keep up on a long trip)

Double Dose Vaccinated

Preferably a couple with no kids on board.

Willing to stay in star hotels as well as budget accommodations as available.

Photography Enthusiast would be an added advantage for me as I am poor in that though very much interested. (Wish someone with a drone joins me )

I will travel on my 5+ years old Thar Crde (70 K Odo) with subtle mods probably not going to come under cops radar (Only illegal is my windshield mounted driving lights- which I may cover up )

I haven't previously travelled to this region though I have been doing 2.5K+ kms trip on my vehicle. Mustang/ Arunachal/ latest trip was 3K kms to Orissa in Feb 2020.

I have experience driving in hilly mountainous roads plus I wont have any problem with acclimatization.

My vehicle will have a Continuous Dash Cam and a good Tyre Repair Kit including Heavy Duty Pump, 220 V Inverter and Quality Snatch Straps and a fully kitted First Aid Box (including life saving drugs and materials)

If any one is interested to join we can plan out an itinerary compatible with both of us.

Do DM with details if any one on board.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 12:45   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Some plans of doing it this September 15-October 10 plus minus 5 days. I will be travelling from Sikkim. Gangtok-Patna-Lucknow-Delhi (I will need 3 days day driving - 1500 Kms to reach Delhi)

Looking for people who are interested for the same.
Not a couple but there are 3 of us (my BiL, my cousin and myself) going to Ladakh in my Kodiaq on similar dates i posted earlier:

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-ladakh.jpg

I am coming from Raipur. Ladakh trip will start from Srinagar and end at Manali but visiting Chandratal before Manali. Our plan will be flexible during that time. For example if AMS is not an issue we might just spend 1 night in Leh. Also might skip Hanle all-together and go to Tso Moriri directly as right now staying at night at Hanle is not allowed.

Even if your have different route planned it will be good to know that someone else is around there during those dates

Last edited by AnandB : 24th July 2021 at 12:48.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:52   #1975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not a couple but there are 3 of us (my BiL, my cousin and myself) going to Ladakh in my Kodiaq on similar dates i posted earlier:

Attachment 2183205

I am coming from Raipur. Ladakh trip will start from Srinagar and end at Manali but visiting Chandratal before Manali. Our plan will be flexible during that time. For example if AMS is not an issue we might just spend 1 night in Leh. Also might skip Hanle all-together and go to Tso Moriri directly as right now staying at night at Hanle is not allowed.

Even if your have different route planned it will be good to know that someone else is around there during those dates
If you are not sight seeing Kargil, Srinagar-Leh can be done in one day even with a stop at the war memorial if there are no big traffic jams
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:24   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are not sight seeing Kargil, Srinagar-Leh can be done in one day even with a stop at the war memorial if there are no big traffic jams
Thanks. Staying at Kargil is mainly to acclimatize better and not get hit with AMS when going to Leh. Srinagar altitude is approx 5,200 ft. and Leh is 11,483 ft., while Kargil is 8,780 ft. That's why planned to reach Leh through Srinagar instead of Manali and have less chances of suffering AMS.
Old 25th July 2021, 11:38   #1977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. Staying at Kargil is mainly to acclimatize better and not get hit with AMS when going to Leh. Srinagar altitude is approx 5,200 ft. and Leh is 11,483 ft., while Kargil is 8,780 ft. That's why planned to reach Leh through Srinagar instead of Manali and have less chances of suffering AMS.
Risk is AMS is mostly at passes. if you acclimitize at Leh by sleeping there two nights it will better prepare you for Pangong and Tso Moriri, the places where many people get severe attacks
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 14:43   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Risk is AMS is mostly at passes. if you acclimitize at Leh by sleeping there two nights it will better prepare you for Pangong and Tso Moriri, the places where many people get severe attacks
Ah yes, makes sense. Might as well save a day that way.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:50   #1979
BHPian

As my trip gets nearer, news of rising covid cases at the same time. Hopefully nothing drastic happens in the next 45 days.

@ruzbehxyz and other knowledgeable users: how to get day-to-day or current news about traffic and movement in jammu/srinagar, ladakh and manali? Any good twitter, facebook or website to follow?
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:31   #1980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ruzbehxyz and other knowledgeable users: how to get day-to-day or current news about traffic and movement in jammu/srinagar, ladakh and manali? Any good twitter, facebook or website to follow?
Refer the following pages on Facebook (most of the info is authentic).

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20210802213402_facebook.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20210802213345_facebook.jpg

Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide-screenshot_20210802213321_facebook.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks