Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:41   #136
BHPian

Re: Information on Coorg route

Thanks all - adding one more spin on that.

Srimangala - Ponnampet - Gonikoppal seems to be the suggested route.
But on the map, just saw a left turn at Ponnampet that joins the Gonikoppal - Virajpet road mid-way (so avoiding Gonikoppal). Is that advisable or should I take the Gonikoppal route?

Also, how are road conditions around Virajpet?

Also, noticed a direct road from Virajpet - Bhagmandala on the map, Murnad is not on the way at all - so a bit confused??

Thanks

Last edited by mogambo : 22nd December 2010 at 11:49.
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:09   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
Thanks all - adding one more spin on that.

Srimangala - Ponnampet - Gonikoppal seems to be the suggested route.
But on the map, just saw a left turn at Ponnampet that joins the Gonikoppal - Virajpet road mid-way (so avoiding Gonikoppal). Is that advisable or should I take the Gonikoppal route?

Also, how are road conditions around Virajpet?

Also, noticed a direct road from Virajpet - Bhagmandala on the map, Murnad is not on the way at all - so a bit confused??

Thanks

Ok - sorry - tubelight moment.
Murnad left hits Madikeri-TC road and I was referring to Virajpet-TC road (TC=TalaCauvery).
Guess both options are open unless I hear from the road gurus that one of these is better than the other?

Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 12:05   #138
BHPian

Back from three days in Coorg - here's my update:
Coorg - GREAT place !!!
Coorg people - Awesome !!!
Food @ Coorg homestays - Great again !!!
Coorg Roads - Aaaaaaaaaargh !!!!!!!!!!!

A more detailed analysis.

Day 1 - Friday 24th Dec:
Left Indiranagar, Bangalore at 7:15AM - joined Mysore Rd near Hudson Church as I always do. Planned to stop at Kamat Lokaruchi near Channapatna but bypassed it after seeing the crowds and cars milling outside.
Stopped at Kadambam on the left side - again, major crowds, not enough staff to manage. But the food was ok.
Reached Mysore ORR junction and took a right for Hunsur - at Hunsur, turned left for Nagarhole.
We drove through pretty slowly but found only some deer - hardly any other wildlife (it was nearly noon). Somehow it seems we always see more wildlife on the Bandipur route to Kerala. Anyways, reached Kutta (South Coorg) around 12:30PM.
Overall road quality was quite good - but once inside Kutta, roads were horrible.
We had booked a room at the Green Reatreat. This is a 30 acre estate run by Mr Manu Aiyappa and his wife - they are fantastic hosts. They served breakfast/lunch/dinner - the food was just too good. With the kids, they had no problem with any additional/special requirements we had - this was a real "home" stay - they made us feel really at home. The rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean. Beds/mattresses.... Everything was perfect.
We spent some time after lunch wandering through the estate. Later in the afternoon, we headed out to Thirunelly, on the Kerala side of the forest. The moment we entered the Kerala side, the roads felt like silk after Kutta side. We reached the temple around 4:15PM - on top of the hills.

Took some time to visit the Papanashini river (rivulet actually) behind the temple and then reached the ancient, ancient temple around 6:00PM when it opened.
After this very beautiful experience, we packed up for the night early.

Day 2 - 25th Dec:
Woke up to a great cup of Coorg coffee and a sumptuous breakfast. We planned to go to Irpu falls but thanks to one of the kids being a bit feverish, we canned the idea.
Instead, we headed out directly to Tala Cauvery.
Started out at 9:45AM to one of the most hellish drives I have been one. There seems to be NOT ONE single stretch of decent road throughout Coorg. In fact, one is thankful when the road gives way to gravel patches - at least the car is not thrown around. We drove via Srimangala, Gonikoppal, Murnad and reached Tala Cauvery about 3.5 hours later.
Again, a beautiful experience atop the Brahmagiri hills, makes you forget the pain taken to reach the divine place.

A small splash of cool water from the tank and we trekked the 200 steps to the top of the hill. Spent some time there and headed back. Snacked in the car and now headed to our 2nd homestay at Valnoor (Nanjarayapatna) - the Bamboo Loft. Run by Ashish and his wife, Savita - it is a unique place. 2 rooms completely bamboo built on a 60 acre estate. We first drove to Dubarey to grab a bite (not a single decent place between Tala Cauvery and Valnoor - we didn't go to Madikeri). There was a complete traffic jam on the last narrow stretch to the Cauvery. Anyways - after a nice hot dosa and coffee, we went to the Ashish Estate for the night. The bamboo room was really warm inspite of the cold outside.

Day 3 - 26th Dec:
Next morning had some fun playing with their two beautiful Labradors. And not to mention changing a flat tyre (thank God it was at the estate and not on the way).
We left for Dubarey around 10:00AM as against the planned time of 8:30AM. Can't rush through a holiday now, can we
There was a long queue for the boats to the elephant camp. Had a nice long ride to the Dubarey side. But the elephant bathing was over and there was a 1 hour wait for the elephant ride.
The crowds waiting for the return boat were large and fairly unruly. So we did something that became the hilight of our 3 day trip - we walked along the bank further away from the boat stand to where the water was not too deep and decided to walk to the other side. There were stones all along - occasionally with a large gap. People were walking up and down and stones were quite slippery too. Plus the current was fairly quick. But it was fun fun fun
About 200-300 m through the water - at various times ankle deep - knee deep. I'd strongly recommend this to all Beats the boat ride any day. Just have an extra bag handy to carry footwear that's all.

Took about 45 min to get across - people were very helpful with the kids (contrary to those trying to push us aside trying to get into the boats). And the kids had a blast !!!

Around 12:30PM we left for Bylakuppe to the Tibetan monastery - what a divine experience. Truly fascinating - the main 3 idols were definitely a sight. Not to mention the exquisite Tibetan artwork everywhere.

We packed some food from the very crowded Shanthi hotel and left towards Mysore - stopped for a meal inside the car after reaching a shade on the highway. Then around 3:30PM left the place.

Reached Mysore ORR (75km) around 4:45PM - turned towards Bangalore and there was almost bumper to bumper traffic.
Stopped at Adiga's on the way for an early dinner - reached home around 8:00PM

Awesome trip - I'm going back to Coorg again - for a more liesurely stay and one that keeps me away from the roads inside Coorg for sure

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:37.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:40   #139
BHPian

@mogambo: Glad that you had nice stays!

S. Coorg roads are really bad. But, once you take the pain and reach there, the greenery is awesome!

Coorg has lot to be discovered and food to be relished. Need to go back again and again!

Having a look at Green Retreat right now
Old 6th January 2011, 00:54   #140
BHPian

Hey Guys!

After going through loads of physical and mental stress because of my moving to Bangalore(Yes, ALL Bangalore BHPians- ), finally I'm settled and have decided to take a break!

Destination: Coorg-Club Mahindra.
Origin: Near Forum Value Mall, Whitefield.
Dates: leaving 21st morning and getting back by 23rd night.
People: Myself, Wifey and our 1.5 yr old kid.

Fellow Bangaloreans - Please help me plan the trip- On the route part and sight seeing part.
1. How are the roads and what would be the best route to take?
2. This is a super-relaxed trip with most of the time spent at the resort and maybe occasional outings - maybe one a day. So what is the best to be seen?

Your help is much appreciated!
Old 6th January 2011, 06:56   #141
Team-BHP Support

Only place which I think you should not miss is Buddhist settlement at Kushalnagar. Rest places all are wild life (Dubbare), temples (Talacauvery/Bhagamandala), waterfalls (Iruppu/Abbe) etc. You may find similar places elsewhere, but not something like this Buddhist settlement. Absolute must see!
Old 6th January 2011, 10:15   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Hey Guys!

After going through loads of physical and mental stress because of my moving to Bangalore(Yes, ALL Bangalore BHPians- ), finally I'm settled and have decided to take a break!

Destination: Coorg-Club Mahindra.
Origin: Near Forum Value Mall, Whitefield.
Dates: leaving 21st morning and getting back by 23rd night.
People: Myself, Wifey and our 1.5 yr old kid.

Fellow Bangaloreans - Please help me plan the trip- On the route part and sight seeing part.
1. How are the roads and what would be the best route to take?
2. This is a super-relaxed trip with most of the time spent at the resort and maybe occasional outings - maybe one a day. So what is the best to be seen?

Your help is much appreciated!
Reading through the posts in couple of pages back will help you.
Mahindra resort is near Kushal Nagar.

Route maps are posted many times on this thread.
Here's one:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2177429

(Bangalore - Srirangapatnam). Take right from Srirangapatnam to take the byass to reach the road to Hunsur. ( Hunsur - Kushalnager - Madikeri - Resort) -Around 240 kms.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:01   #143
Senior - BHPian

Know the hosts of Green retreat. Very friendly family. Glad you liked it.

Sorry about the roads. Scope for tourism is available but nobody cares!
Old 7th January 2011, 15:41   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Reading through the posts in couple of pages back will help you.
Mahindra resort is near Kushal Nagar.
That is not correct. The Club Mahindra resort is 6-7Kms beyond Madikeri, and not on the road to Kushalnagar.

Complete Direction: Forum Value Mall to Club MahindraKodagu Valley - Google Maps
Old 7th January 2011, 16:55   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is not correct. The Club Mahindra resort is 6-7Kms beyond Madikeri, and not on the road to Kushalnagar.

Complete Direction: Forum Value Mall to Club MahindraKodagu Valley - Google Maps

That's right. If you want to ask directions to local people, ask for "Galibeedu" or Navoddaya Vidyalaya, Mahindra resort is on the way. That will help them direct you.
Old 8th January 2011, 00:04   #146
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for the useful piece of information. In fact I just browsed through the previous pages of this topic and was happy to find that Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri is 4 laned for most part. I hope this is true as this would be a great drive then.

Leaving Forum Value Mall, which would be the best route to take to hit Mysore Road. I'm thinking of taking the NICE Road and skipping city traffic. I'm planning to leave not before 9am, so wont the ORR be too crowded during that time? Any alternate suggestions please?
Old 8th January 2011, 16:56   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Thanks to everyone for the useful piece of information. In fact I just browsed through the previous pages of this topic and was happy to find that Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri is 4 laned for most part. I hope this is true as this would be a great drive then.

Leaving Forum Value Mall, which would be the best route to take to hit Mysore Road. I'm thinking of taking the NICE Road and skipping city traffic. I'm planning to leave not before 9am, so wont the ORR be too crowded during that time? Any alternate suggestions please?
Best then is go through Old Airport Road, Koramangala and hit NICE via Hosur road.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:02   #148
BHPian

Hi,

Wanted some help on getting to Coorg (Club Mahindra Resort) from Goa.

I've been told that the road from Mangalore is closed. The Mahindra helpdesk says travel from Goa-Hubli-Hassan-Madikeri (Google Maps: 655 km).
Information on Coorg route-goahublimadikeri.jpg

A bit of Googling threw up an alternative route: Goa-Kasarkod-Shimoga-Hassan-Madikeri (Google Maps: 630 km).

Information on Coorg route-goakasarkodimadikeri.jpg

Just wanted an opinion on which would be the better route to take, or if there are any better alternatives.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:54   #149
Team-BHP Support

I would say route 2 is better than the first one.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:31   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say route 2 is better than the first one.
In terms of road conditions are both comparable? I am pretty sure the Goa-Hubli section via Ponda should be ok.. But would appreciate some inputs on road conditions in this region of Karnataka.. Car to be used is a Getz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks