Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 12:53   #256

Re: Information on Coorg route

Hi
I would love some update on this too. I plan to drive down to Coorg from Bangalore around the 15th of Feb. google maps provides two options- one is the Bangalore-Mysore route and the other is the Bangalore-Mangalore route. I do realise that this has been discussed already in this thread but most of the recent updates were around July when the roads were screwed because of the monsoon. Any updates from people who have recently made this trip or staying in Coorg will be very much appreciated.
TIA
Old 13th January 2014, 15:19   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudeLeLouch View Post
Hi
I would love some update on this too. I plan to drive down to Coorg from Bangalore around the 15th of Feb. google maps provides two options- one is the Bangalore-Mysore route and the other is the Bangalore-Mangalore route. I do realise that this has been discussed already in this thread but most of the recent updates were around July when the roads were screwed because of the monsoon. Any updates from people who have recently made this trip or staying in Coorg will be very much appreciated.
TIA

Roads are all good.Stick to the route via Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri (depending on where in the Coorg region you are headed to ).

Bangalore-Madikeri can be done in 5.5-6hrs of sedate driving.Roads are all good to go.Wayside facilities are also good.

After srirangapatna,you would see an arrow pointing to your right that says Hunsur-Madikeri,you can take that and go onwards. http://goo.gl/maps/0POQu

If you miss that,then get onto the ring road at Mysore and get off at the Hunsur Road exit.
http://goo.gl/maps/2QcxM
Old 13th January 2014, 15:28   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Roads are all good.Stick to the route via Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri (depending on where in the Coorg region you are headed to ).

Bangalore-Madikeri can be done in 5.5-6hrs of sedate driving.Roads are all good to go.Wayside facilities are also good.

After srirangapatna,you would see an arrow pointing to your right that says Hunsur-Madikeri,you can take that and go onwards. http://goo.gl/maps/0POQu

If you miss that,then get onto the ring road at Mysore and get off at the Hunsur Road exit.
http://goo.gl/maps/2QcxM
Thanks a lot Ranjit. Much appreciated. I will be driving down from Hyderabad- plan to start at 2 am on 17th Feb and reach by by 3 pm. My destination is Orange County Coorg. I have done Hyderabad -Bangalore multiple times and it usually takes me around 6 hours if I drive at night- so I think I am n target. I see that you are from Hyderabad- did you drive down to Coorg from Hyderabad too?
Thanks again.
Old 13th January 2014, 16:02   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Ranjit. Much appreciated. I will be driving down from Hyderabad- plan to start at 2 am on 17th Feb and reach by by 3 pm. My destination is Orange County Coorg. I have done Hyderabad -Bangalore multiple times and it usually takes me around 6 hours if I drive at night- so I think I am n target. I see that you are from Hyderabad- did you drive down to Coorg from Hyderabad too?
Thanks again.
Yes I am in Hyderabad and yes have driven down several times that way.

Recently Mobike008 also drove down to Coorg from Hyd.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3164096

Even though distance isnt much,the stretch from Bangalore to Orange County can be tiresome,since you would be reaching bangalore during peak hour traffic.It would take you some time to get onto Mysore road and drive onwards(not to forget the sleep fatigue imo).Traffic is going to be heavy on the Blr-Mysore stretch as well.

Whereabouts in Hyd are you at?I am at Secunderabad.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:24   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi
TIA
I would say the best option would be :

Devanahalli-Doddaballapur-Nelamangala-Channarayapatna-Holenarasipur-KR Nagar-Hunsur-Madikeri.

Brilliant roads end to end. And the best part, you dont cross Mysore and Bangalore !

Route Link

If you are at Bangalore outskirts (Devanahalli) by say 10AM, you should able to make it to coorg easily by 3-4PM.

To sumamrize :
- You bypass Bangalore by taking NH207 to Doddaballpur from Devanahalli and a SH from Doddaballpur to Nelamangala. This SH is at places a bit patchy, but its worth it.
- Nelamangala is the point on NH4 GQ, from where the Mangalore 4-lane road (NH48) starts.
- You drive on this 4-lane all the way up to Channarayapatna. Exit here, and continue to Holenarasipur where you join the brilliant Hassan-Mysore SH.
- Drive on this SH till KR Nagara and divert to Hunsur.
- Its the regular Hunsur-Madikeri road from there on.

Food Options:
- NH48 has CCD, Kamat and Swathi on the 4L
- Hunsur bypass has Cafe Coorg. And further up towards Coorg you also have a CCD close to Periyapatna.

Last edited by ampere : 13th January 2014 at 16:33.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:43   #261
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say the best option would be : Devanahalli-Doddaballapur-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Holenarasipur-KR Nagar-Hunsur-Madikeri. Brilliant roads end to end. And the best part, you dont cross Mysore and Bangalore ! Route Link If you are at Bangalore outskirts (Devanahalli) by say 10AM, you should able to make it to coorg easily by 3-4PM. To sumamrize : - You bypass Bangalore by taking NH207 to Doddaballpur from Devanahalli and a SH from Doddaballpur to Nelamangala. This SH is at places a bit patchy, but its worth it. - Nelamangala is the point on NH4 GQ, from where the Mangalore 4-lane road (NH48) starts. - You drive on this 4-lane all the way up to CR Patna. Exit here, and continue to Holenarasipur where you join the brilliant Hassan-Mysore SH. - Drive on this SH till KR Nagara and divert to Hunsur. - Its the regular Hunsur-Madikeri road from there on. Food Options: - NH48 has CCD, Kamat and Swathi on the 4L - Hunsur bypass has Cafe Coorg. And further up towards Coorg you also have a CCD close to Periyapatna.
Ampere, I admire your expertise and I am sure this is of great help to fellow BHPians.

The route suggested by you could be because of a) speed breakers on the Bangalore-Mysore SH b) scenic drive in the road recommended by you.

These are only my assumptions. Do you agree? Or, you have some other reasons.

This is a general query and I have no plans to travel either to Mysore or Coorg?
Old 13th January 2014, 16:49   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Whereabouts in Hyd are you at?I am at Secunderabad.
Thanks for the heads-up Ranjit - the link you shared gave me some pointers too. I stay in KPHB.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:34   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post

Option 3:
Bangalore - Mysore - Husur - Periyapatna - Siddapura - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet
Misery awaits you on this route. Siddapura-Gonikoppal (even via Virajpet) roads are a war zone! Gonikoppal-Ponnampet is not as bad, although by then you have had far worse in comparison if you followed Option 3!

I don't know about the state of Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch though.
udaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 19:44   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
These are only my assumptions. Do you agree? Or, you have some other reasons.

Look at it this way :

- From Hyd to Coorg its about ~ 500 + 300 km
- Till Hyd you cruise for about 6-7 hours
- And then the nightmare starts. You have to cross Bangalore, endure Mysore road, cross Mysore and then finally reach Coorg.
- The second leg of the drive beyond Bangalore can be quite harrowing.

In order to avoid this pain, its easy take this route that I propose. It has minimum traffic. NH48 part is 4-lane NH (and not like a 4-lane SH like Mysore road). Hence clean bypasses and an easy drive pretty much like NH7 on that stretch.

And also you don't touch Mysore as well.
Old 13th January 2014, 21:30   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
Misery awaits you on this route. Siddapura-Gonikoppal (even via Virajpet) roads are a war zone! Gonikoppal-Ponnampet is not as bad, although by then you have had far worse in comparison if you followed Option 3!

I don't know about the state of Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch though.
Thanks for the information. That leaves me with the following option only:

Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Gonnikoppal - Ponnampet (to avoid the Hunsur - Anechowkur stretch) as the Hunsur - Anechowkur stretch is bad too.

Regards,

Samish
Old 13th January 2014, 22:05   #266
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are going to Orange County take the shortest route

Bangalore --> Mysore --> Hunsur -->Periyapatna --> Siddapur (Orange County)

The road till Periyapatna is great except for the 60 odd speed breakers you will encounter. Remember at every village crossing you have speed breakers and not all scientifically designed, as they have been illegally put up by the villagers.

Another tell tale sign is that stones neatly lined to ensure you do not off road, indicates a speed breaker.

The Periyapatna to Siddapur is about 30 kms and you just need to slow down in this stretch, to handle the bad patches. Look at doing this stretch in 45-60 minutes.

Hope you have a nice stay.

Cheers from a Kodava

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 07:34   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Since you are going to Orange County take the shortest route

Bangalore --> Mysore --> Hunsur -->Periyapatna --> Siddapur (Orange County)

The road till Periyapatna is great except for the 60 odd speed breakers you will encounter. Remember at every village crossing you have speed breakers and not all scientifically designed, as they have been illegally put up by the villagers.

Another tell tale sign is that stones neatly lined to ensure you do not off road, indicates a speed breaker.

The Periyapatna to Siddapur is about 30 kms and you just need to slow down in this stretch, to handle the bad patches. Look at doing this stretch in 45-60 minutes.

Hope you have a nice stay.

Cheers from a Kodava

KPS
Thank you very much for the feedback KPS Sir. But actually we are planning to go to Ponnampet and not Orange County resort. I heard that the road condition of Hunsur - Gonikoppal is very bad. Also I learnt that the Periaypatna - Siddapur - Gonikoppal route though doable is not ideal for sedans. (we will be travelling by Etios). So I was thinking of taking the Hunsur - Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet route which may be better than the above two options. Please suggest sir.

Regards

Samish
Old 14th January 2014, 08:14   #268
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Thank you very much for the feedback KPS Sir. But actually we are planning to go to Ponnampet and not Orange County resort. I heard that the road condition of Hunsur - Gonikoppal is very bad. Also I learnt that the Periaypatna - Siddapur - Gonikoppal route though doable is not ideal for sedans. (we will be travelling by Etios). So I was thinking of taking the Hunsur - Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet route which may be better than the above two options. Please suggest sir.
Regards
Samish
Agreed. Hunsur - Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet route is the best under the circumstances

The Hunsur --> Gonikoppa Road is a car breaker unless you drive very very slow. I did this road last month in my Verna. Coming from Hyderabad on the fag end of your journey, it is avoidable.

The Siddapur Road is doable but a slow speeds.

The key to driving in Coorg is avoid the temptation of driving fast, as you never know when the good roads end. The curves are quite deceptive and the you encounter some fast tourist cars on the road. Always keep 30 minutes additional driving time and you will have relaxed drive.

The autorickshaw guys will always try to push you off the road, if you are an outstation vehicle. Always plan, when you go off the road to avoid oncoming traffic. Typically the person with better road shoulder needs to get off the narrow roads. Hence if the road shoulder is bad slow down completely and pass slowly

Remember Coorg is all about nature and relaxation.

All the best and have a nice stay.

Cheers

KPS
Old 14th January 2014, 19:08   #269
BHPian

Thank you KPS Sir for the valueable feedback especially about the autorickshaw guys. It will definitely help during the drive. Will post more details once I am back.

Regards,

Samish
Old 19th January 2014, 21:49   #270
BHPian

Just back from Coorg (Ponnampet). Followed the Hunsur - Periyapatna - Gonikoppal - Ponnampet route as suggested by KPS Sir. Left Bangalore at around 2 PM and reached Ponnampet at around 7:30 PM with a short tea break at Periyapatna. The road condition upto Periyapatna is excellent. From Periyapatna we have to take left turn (SH 21 to be precise) which joins the Gonikoppal road at Anechowkur Check Post. This road is in horrible condition. Had to "cruise" at 10 ~ 20 Kmph. It took almost 45 mins to cover the 12 Km stretch. From Anechowkur Check Post to Gonikoppal the road again is good. In fact the repair work is under progress. Hopefully they repair upto Hunsur.

Regards,

Samish

Most Viewed