Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2006, 18:50   #16
BHPian

thanks for updating the road condition and possible venues..

it'll be great is someone could give more info about hiring self driven cars in bangalore..

cheers!
Shrivz...
Old 9th November 2006, 15:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I was still talking about the visual part. Mysore 4-laner is indeed a mindblower ride, in a physical sense, a real death trap.
Quote:
Lots more people are going to die on that road now.
ow, why would you say that ? i mean i dont know how this road is now. but i have travelled a few times during 2001-04. whats happened to it now? i hear that it has been 4 laned, but why a death trap ?

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2006 at 16:11.
Old 9th November 2006, 16:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

I guess you are new here, so read this.
Old 9th November 2006, 17:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

yep, you guessed right.

ok, i read your weekend...interrupted.

dont they have reflective road signs & warning signs like in all highways?

edit : i dont think signs would be of much use either.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 9th November 2006 at 17:22.
Old 5th December 2006, 11:12   #20
BHPian

Hi Folks,
I am planning for a small weekend getaway to Coorg. Plan is to leave for Mysore from Bangalore early morning. Spend the day in local sightseeing, have a night halt in Mysore. Leave for Coorg next day morning, cover some points and stay over at Nisargadhama. Spend the first half of the next day in Coorg and return back to Bangalore by night. Am planning to take the four-lane highway till Mysore and take the Hunsur Coorg route thereafter.

I need your help in identifying a decent hotel in Mysore. Is there a hotel inside vrindawan gardens. If anyone knows the contact details, please share it.

Secondly I need the contact details of the accommodation available at Nisargadhama.

And thirdly about the weather conditions at Coorg. I mean can we expect rains over there at this time of the year.

Any pointers on Coorg local sightseeing will be of additional help. Too many queries, but I really prefer experiences of our fellow Team-bhpians to some plain text/facts available on tourism websites.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th December 2006, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Any pointers on Coorg local sightseeing will be of additional help. Too many queries, but I really prefer experiences of our fellow Team-bhpians to some plain text/facts available on tourism websites.

Thanks in advance.
Don't miss the following:

1. Elephant camp at Dubare. ( I think there's a Jungle Lodges resort coming up there too).
2. Tibetan camp at Kushalnagar

They also have an excellent multi-course dinner at Orange County, so even if you're not planning to stay there, do try and visit.

Cheers,
Ajit
Old 6th December 2006, 10:59   #22
NIP
Senior - BHPian

The Real Coorg !

TSEA...Nisargadhama is not the real coorg. It is full of tourists during weekends and tends to get quite noisy.

If you really want to see the exotic Coorg, I have a fantastic route and place for you. Try this Route:
Bangalore-Hunsur-Gonokoppal-Virajpet-Kadnur-Kakabbe (approx 270kms)
Kakabbe is a very small town, with a river flowing thru it. Once you are in Kakabbe, you can ask for directions. Tadiandamol, one of the highest peaks in S.India is located here and is a 4-5hr trek away. You can stay at Misty Woods or Kings Cottage. Misty woods is a little pricey, but Kings Cottage offers fantastic views of the forests and fantastic food. Accomodation at Kings Cottage is around 700 bucks for a 2bed cottage, and Misty Woods costs around 3k. You have to call and make reservations for both places. If you're planning to stay at Kings Cottage, you can mention my name (Nidhi, Bangalore). Contact person is Venu. My wifes native happens to be Kakabbe and believe me, I thought I knew Coorg before I visited this place. The place is surrounded by streams, waterfalls and rainforests. Its a perfect getaway with the family too. Trust me, you wont be dissapointed !!

I would suggest you avoid the Nisargadhama route completely. Theres a deviation towards South Coorg after Hunsur that goes directly to Virajpet. Dubare elephant camp and the Tibetian monastery are worth a looksee, and you can plan this on the way back from Coorg. Unless you want to visit places in Mysore (subjective - kids, family etc.), I suggest you drive straight to Coorg and spend 2 quality nights in the wilderness! The weather - expect light rain and it will be biting cold this time of the year...Bangalore is already frozen over

Last edited by NIP : 6th December 2006 at 11:14.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:20   #23
BHPian

Hi NIP (Nidhi), I was just going through the fourm and came across this thread. I didnt have any plans of visiting Coorg, but after going through your description of the place and route, I'm tempted to go there with family. We'r planning to go there sometime late March only, as we cant travel with my 2 weeks old kid now :-). Is it a good idea to go there in March?? Will it be high season at that time? Again, thanks for the excellent description...
Old 6th December 2006, 15:21   #24
BHPian

thanks Ajit, NIP and Matix for some great information. Unfortunately Kings Cottage is all full for the next weekend. Will have to try some other option.
Old 6th December 2006, 17:23   #25
NIP
Senior - BHPian

vivekkr_99 thanks for the words. yes march is also ok to go there, although Coorg is as hot as Bangalore in the summer. The evenings are definitely more pleasant due to the altitude. The best time to go to Coorg is during the receding monsoons upto the beginning of summer.
Old 6th December 2006, 17:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
vivekkr_99 thanks for the words. yes march is also ok to go there, although Coorg is as hot as Bangalore in the summer. The evenings are definitely more pleasant due to the altitude. The best time to go to Coorg is during the receding monsoons upto the beginning of summer.
Ok NIP, thanks for the info and I'll get in touch with you for tips and information before I start my trip.
Old 12th April 2007, 15:40   #27
BHPian

What would be a good route to Coorg from Chennai?

The long weekend of 28th April- 1st May 07 is coming... me and my wife are planning on driving my new Indica Turbo there.

Please let me know the good road route... and also places to stay...

Also... anyone else interested on this drive or some other drive from Chennai... please PM me...
Old 12th April 2007, 16:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

The only route I can think of is Chennai-Bangalore-Mysore-Coorg.

Dont have to enter bangalore city if in case you are driving via Krishnagiri and Hosur.

On reaching e-city take a left and hit the peripheral ring road(there is a flyover with sign boards).Will take you straight to the Bangalore Mysore highway away from the chaos of the city.
From Mysore road on the route remains the same.

I did Madikeri about 2 weeks back and the roads in KushalNagar is pathetic.
Alternate route would be Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Madikeri.

I know of a person who owns a home stay thingy abt a km from Madikeri town.Charges abt 1k and its a 2 bedroom house with all amenities. Good access to restuarants and the place is peaceful.
If you have a soft corner for some good coorgi food let me know , can suggest a some places where you can taste authentic coorgi food :-).

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 12th April 2007 at 16:27.
Old 12th April 2007, 18:03   #29
BHPian

Thanks RJ... i have been to coorg once... never drove there though...

pointers to staying places would be appreciated... my wife was suggesting a place called Cicada Trails.. (Welcome to Cicada Trials - Coorg (Kodagu))
Old 29th May 2007, 12:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey people,

me planning to do the same thing akroy did exactly a year back. []
so any latest updates on coorg roads?

I went to mysore last week and hav no doubts abt this great road(bangalore-mysore) i am only concerned abt the road after srirangapatana

Plz share if u have been on this road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks