Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2015, 15:37   #346
BHPian

Re: Information on Coorg route

Hi guys,

How are the roads between Mysore and Coorg / Madikeri now?

I know till Hunsur and more or less till Periyapatna they are pretty okay. Not sure what the situation is till Siddapur and beyond.

Any updates would be appreciated!

Shefiu
Old 15th July 2015, 16:00   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Not sure what the situation is till Siddapur and beyond.
Doesn't Siddapura comes on Virajpet route?

For Mysore - Madikeri, you do not have to travel via Siddapura.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 16:06   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Doesn't Siddapura comes on Virajpet route?

For Mysore - Madikeri, you do not have to travel via Siddapura.
Actually I need to get closer to Siddapura - so I guess I need to rephrase. How are the roads till Siddapura?
Old 15th July 2015, 18:21   #349
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I need to get closer to Siddapura - so I guess I need to rephrase. How are the roads till Siddapura?
In one word 'awesome'. The complete stretch has been done up right from when you take the left at the fork just after Hunsur all the way to Ammathi, Siddapur and beyond. I regularly travel to Coorg and am enjoying the drive these days as a result of these newly done up roads.

Fingers crossed on how long this condition lasts knowing the work of our PWD contractors
Old 15th July 2015, 18:45   #350
BHPian

Went to Madikeri on 3rd of this month, the roads are really good and most of the speed-breakers on BLR-MYSORE highway are gone and have been replaced with barricades. Other than the negligible pot holes near Hunsur, the complete stretch has well-laid tarmacadum.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:55   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
In one word 'awesome'. The complete stretch has been done up right from when you take the left at the fork just after Hunsur all the way to Ammathi, Siddapur and beyond. I regularly travel to Coorg and am enjoying the drive these days as a result of these newly done up roads.

Fingers crossed on how long this condition lasts knowing the work of our PWD contractors
I guess you are talking about while travelling through the Mysore - Virajpet road and turning right at Gonikoppal heading towards Ammathi?. This would be the longer way to hit Siddapur (about 20km difference I believe compared to Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapur).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Went to Madikeri on 3rd of this month, the roads are really good and most of the speed-breakers on BLR-MYSORE highway are gone and have been replaced with barricades. Other than the negligible pot holes near Hunsur, the complete stretch has well-laid tarmacadum.
Could you mention the route you took? I'm especially keen to know the condition of the Periyapatna to Siddapur stretch.

If this route is still back-breaking I would rather take the longer route that adu mentioned above.

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2015, 21:35   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Hi, I was roaming around south Coorg just last weekend. I should be able to help you out if you tell me your exact destination/itinerary.
Old 20th July 2015, 21:40   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi, I was roaming around south Coorg just last weekend. I should be able to help you out if you tell me your exact destination/itinerary.
Hey, I need get a few kms north of Siddapur to be precise - so Siddapur would be the precise destination. Thanks!
Old 20th July 2015, 22:01   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I need get a few kms north of Siddapur to be precise - so Siddapur would be the precise destination. Thanks!
The shortest route is via Periyapatna but the Periyapatna-Siddapura road is in bad shape for about 15 kms - nothing too bad but low GC cars would suffer. If you are in one, I would recommend going via Gonikoppa-Ammathi (NOT Pollibetta) instead which is about 15 km longer than the Periyapatna-Siddapura route but much better.

Attaching a pic of the awesome Hunsur - Gonikoppa stretch.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Information on Coorg route-pic_1.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th July 2015 at 22:05.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 10:24   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
The shortest route is via Periyapatna but the Periyapatna-Siddapura road is in bad shape for about 15 kms - nothing too bad but low GC cars would suffer. If you are in one, I would recommend going via Gonikoppa-Ammathi (NOT Pollibetta) instead which is about 15 km longer than the Periyapatna-Siddapura route but much better.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this. I'm aware of the stretch till Bittangala as this is the route I take while heading down to Payangadi / Kannur.

Is this the route you are suggesting?:

https://goo.gl/maps/U9p1N

Appreciate it!
Old 21st July 2015, 10:47   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the route you are suggesting?:

https://goo.gl/maps/U9p1N

Appreciate it!
Yup! This is the one. Maybe you can go this way and come back via Periyapatna, if you are in a high GC car.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 12:12   #357
adu
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are talking about while travelling through the Mysore - Virajpet road and turning right at Gonikoppal heading towards Ammathi?. This would be the longer way to hit Siddapur (about 20km difference I believe compared to Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapur).

Could you mention the route you took? I'm especially keen to know the condition of the Periyapatna to Siddapur stretch.

If this route is still back-breaking I would rather take the longer route that adu mentioned above.

Thanks!
Shefiu, I am talking about the Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Ammathi-Siddapur route. The Periyapatna-Siddapur stretch is not in good shape and the recent incessant rains have not helped matters. Even though the route I am mentioning is a few kms longers, I would recommend that as you would cover the distance much faster given the road is excellent and also ensuring your vehicle is taken care of too .
adu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 12:30   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Shefiu, I am talking about the Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Ammathi-Siddapur route. The Periyapatna-Siddapur stretch is not in good shape and the recent incessant rains have not helped matters. Even though the route I am mentioning is a few kms longers, I would recommend that as you would cover the distance much faster given the road is excellent and also ensuring your vehicle is taken care of too .
Is it necessary to go all the way till Virajpet?

Cool-dube above, suggested to take the deviation from Gonikoppal to Ammathi.

The direct route to Siddapur is about 96kms while Cool-dube's suggestion adds about 13-15kms with pretty good roads throughout. Going all the way to Virajpet then backtracking to Ammathi seems a bit overkill, not to mention adding another 15-odd kms taking the total to about 124-125kms, I would suspect?
Old 21st July 2015, 12:40   #359
adu
BHPian

Quote:
Is it necessary to go all the way till Virajpet?

Cool-dube above, suggested to take the deviation from Gonikoppal to Ammathi.

The direct route to Siddapur is about 96kms while Cool-dube's suggestion adds about 13-15kms with pretty good roads throughout. Going all the way to Virajpet then backtracking to Ammathi seems a bit overkill, not to mention adding another 15-odd kms taking the total to about 124-125kms, I would suspect?
Sheifu, my apologies for misguiding you . I meant to type the Gonikoppal-Ammathi road and not via Virajpet. I usually take the route via Virajpet since I have relatives in Bittangala and force of habit made me type the longer route.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:47   #360
BHPian

I drove to Virajpet & Madikeri a couple weeks back.

The onward Journey was through the Mysore road - a lot of speed bumps are gone, but it is still a pain to drive on. Once past Mysore, the road is beautiful.

The return journey from Madikeri to Bangalore was through NH 48 and Mangalore - Bangalore Highway and it was brilliant! A bad stretch for about 2 kms and thats it. No problems, less traffic and great scenic roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks