Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 15:34   #1
BHPian

Goa to Siliguri, Bhutan, Nepal and Sikkim?

As the subject suggests we, that is my wife and two sons 11 and 4, are hitting the road in a few days and making our way to Siliguri, where we will join some friends on a journey into Bhutan for a week, entering through Phutsholing. After this we plan to drive through to Gangtok and spend two to three days exploring Sikkim before returning to Darjeeling and spending a few days there. We will probably just enter into Nepal and not really spend time on Nepalese soil.
My route to Siliguri from Goa is as follows, subject to changes though, considering that I want my kids to see as much of the country as possible.

Day 1 - leave from Goa, pretty early (probably around 3/4 a.m.)and head straight for Nagpur, via Belgaum and Sholapur. Would like some ideas as to the condition of the roads. I generally average about 100 Kms per Hour on most reasonably good highways, like NH4. Need feedback regards the time factor as well.
Day 2 - was planning to go via Bodhgaya, but am being advised against it as the conditions on the roads might not be too safe. The current plan is to head for Jamshedpur, which will be the night halt. Need inputs here too as to the condition of the roads.
Day 3 - head out straight for Siliguri, where my friends are landing the next morning at Bagdoghra airport. We will head out to Bhutan together.
Old 10th May 2013, 17:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Goa to Siliguri, Bhutan, Nepal and Sikkim?

Would you please care to elaborate.

Day 1 : Goa to Nagpur would be around 1000KM or something, are you sure you can do this in one day. I'm asking as I'm not sure about the road conditions.

Day 2 : how do you plan to reach Jamshedpur from Nagpur. I mean which route?

What car will you be using? It might be difficult to cross certain portions of NH6 near Jamshedpur (without damaging your car) if you are planning the drive in a sedan.

Have you thought about Goa-Hyderabad-Vizac-Bhubaneshwar-Kolkata route.

Last edited by Sommos : 10th May 2013 at 17:35.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 23:54   #3
BHPian

re: Goa to Siliguri, Bhutan, Nepal and Sikkim?

Hey Sommos,

Thanks so much for the reply... I did not expect one so quick but am really glad nevertheless...

I am elaborating, as per your request...

Well, first of all, have to give you my background. I used to, still am, and will always be a rallyist and still do keep in touch with the art... which means I do actually practice my rally driving even now - though I will be going pretty easy with the family being with me.

Second, driving holidays are certainly not new to us, as we do them all the time and my kids have seen practically the whole of South India from the back seat of my various SUVS. I had an Endeavour for a long time and that used to be my weapon of choice, but am doing this trip in my Yeti, which though not a full fledged SUV, has pretty good Ground Clearance, though not as much as I am used to, but i am pretty comfortable with her and she additionally behaves very well on the highway, extremely car-like, that is.

You are right in surmising that it is around 1K to Nagpur from Goa, but I have done this before and took me around 10 Hours. So i have earmarked around 15 hours this time. We will leave quite early (Around 3/4 in the morning), and I am hoping to reach before sunset, which is around 6:30ish at this time of the year... Also we will not be stopping to eat, as we generally carry sandwiches which we eat when we are hungry... only stops are 'P' stops...

I would love to know more about the Hyderabad - Vizag - Bhabaneshwar - Kolkata route, simple because I have friends in all the cities and it would be great to meet a few of them or take pit stops along the way.

Considering that I plan to leave on the 14th, and need to be in Siliguri (Bagdogra) on the 19th morning, which basically means I need to get to Siliguri on the 18th evening, I could do the route or even come back that side, as i do not want to use the same route to traverse both journeys to and fro...

So I hope this throws more light on the whole topic and once more a great big thanks...

Much appreciated...
Old 11th May 2013, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: The grand Eastern experience - from Goa to Siliguri, Bhutan, Nepal and Sikkim

1. You'll be doing Goa-Belgaun-Solapur-Nanded-Yavatmal-Nagpur, I presume. As you are conversant with the route I have no comments here. I would really like to have a feedback on the road condition here after you return. I'm myself thinking of a Goa trip in Dec/Jan next.

2. Nagpur-Durg-Raipur-Arang on NH6 (320Km) is four laned toll road. Arang to Sambalpur (240KM) on NH6 is two laned highway.

3. Beyond Sambalpur, there are two options. If you must go to Jamshedpur, then Sambalpur to Jamshedpur is around 400KM on NH6 via Keonjhar and Baharagora. This route is pretty lonely and you won't get roadside eateries and maybe fuel bunks also. Plus, around 10KM of NH6 in Jharkhand near Baharagora is in extremely bad shape, reported suitable for tractors only. I would say if you have friends/relatives at Jamshedpur, you may ask them for the present condition at Baharagora.

4. People travelling in this route (including me) normally avoid the Sambalpur-Kharagpur section for the streach in Jharkhand. Instead we take NH42 from Sambalpur to join NH5 at a point called Manguli Chowk (17KM off Cuttack) and proceed on NH5-NH60 to Kharagpur and then take NH6 to Kolkata followed by NH2 to Durgapur and then off towards Siliguri by NH34.

You may go through this thread for an alternate route to Siliguri from Kolkata : Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34

Please feel free to ask in case you need any further clarifications.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 09:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Goa to Siliguri, Bhutan, Nepal and Sikkim?

Continuing my earlier observation on the road condition of NH6 at Baharagora, you may refer to this thread for the latest available reports : Kolkata to Raipur - need advice with trip planning .
Old 13th May 2013, 10:30   #6
BHPian

All the best for the trip planning.

Not sure if you already know, but when we entered to Bhutan via Phuntsholing, there was one day in a week (tuesday?) where they dont allow civilian vehicles till afternoon. Just confirm this with the embassy guys since it was 2-3 years before.
razorBlades is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
All the best for the trip planning.

Not sure if you already know, but when we entered to Bhutan via Phuntsholing, there was one day in a week (tuesday?) where they dont allow civilian vehicles till afternoon. Just confirm this with the embassy guys since it was 2-3 years before.
Thanks buddy.
Will keep you posted as to our progress. But as my friends are in the military they probably have the ideas as regards to the permissions and everything has been finalized as far as Bhutan is concerned. I am more concerned of the rest of the routes.
Thanks once again though.
God bless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

You may go through this thread for an alternate route to Siliguri from Kolkata : Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur. Avoiding NH34

Please feel free to ask in case you need any further clarifications.
Thank you ever so much.
I had a long message from HVKumar who suggested another route from up the GQ near Vijayawada upto Kolkata from Vizag and Bhubaneshwar. Am going to use that route for the journey up. WIll come down from central India.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th May 2013 at 08:21. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 13th May 2013, 18:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

From Jamshedpur there are two routes to come to Bhagalpur. Both are okay.

One is via Giridih - Deoghar and the other is via Dumka.

In case you need any info about Bhagalpur, Purnea & Siliguri, you may let me know.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 22:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

From Jamshedpur there are two routes to come to Bhagalpur. Both are okay.

One is via Giridih - Deoghar and the other is via Dumka.

In case you need any info about Bhagalpur, Purnea & Siliguri, you may let me know.

Thanks
I am passing through Purnea with my new routing. maybe we can meet up. that will be fantastic if you have the time.
Send me a message on my mobile 09823787447 or 09595307447 and I will keep in touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Seems to be that it is a rip-off. Honestly, I would go and bargain on the spot after reaching Gangtok since going to North Sikkhim is a common 2-day trip there.

I think you should curtail your North Sikkhim trip to the standard 2 days and keep that extra day for Gangtok. I have no suggestions for any specific hotel in North Sikkim, but in Gangtok I have stayed in Hotel Raj Nandini 03592-202197/9732926585 (Atamu Debnath, 9933793040). Make sure you pin him down to provide you car parking space.
What kind of rate can we haggle to?
Thanks

God bless!
Old 14th May 2013, 09:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlebrito View Post
I had a long message from HVKumar who suggested another route from up the GQ near Vijayawada upto Kolkata from Vizag and Bhubaneshwar. Am going to use that route for the journey up. WIll come down from central India.
I presume the route suggested by HVK is through Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Vizaq-Bhubaneshwar-Kolkata route.

All the best for your journey.

In the return journey if you cross through Raipur-Bhilai do give me a mail. Would surely like to meet in person if possible.

Most Viewed