Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 17:42   #1
BHPian

Chandigarh -> Jabalpur?

Hello everyone

I have my friends wedding in Jabalpur on the coming weekend,everybody have got their train or airlines tickets booked.I along with my 3 mates are planing to go there by road and I need your help in planning this out!

We have little idea of the road conditions ahead of Gwalior and have heard that they are not in good condition .

The details:
We plan to leave on 17th night from chandigarh and be back here by 23rd night.We plan to drive the entire way in either a fiat Punto or ford Figo.

We will restrict ourself to day driving only expect delhi Chandigarh route , it's a safe at night driving.
2)we have planned the following itinerary

18th may 02:00am leave chandigarh
05 :00 reach delhi
09:00 am reach Agra -halt - breakfast
we plan to visit fatehpur sikri
2 pm leave Agra
Night stay at Gwalior

Total distance covered on day 1 580km

Day 2
Gwalior -shivpuri (119 km)
Shivpuri - Jhansi (100 km)
Jhansi -Jabalpur (240 km)

Wedding is on Monday night ..

Questions and Doubts:-

1) Must visit places in Gwalior and jabalpur?
2) good economical hotel with car parking in
Gwalior.
3) Road conditions between Gwalior and Jabalpur.
4) Any alternate route that can be followed.
5) chances of decoits in these areas?
6) which car is suggested to take wrt service station.

Replies and suggestions are eagerly awaited.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chandigarh -> Jabalpur?

Road conditions shall vary from bad to worse after Gwalior and around Shivpuri. See the Gwalior fort and keep driving to Jabalpur. No Dacoits but avoid halting after dark on the roadside. Gwalior has many decent hotels around the fort as well but its a congested area and use GPS for a hassle free driving inside the city limits.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 12:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to Route / Travel Queries section.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:02   #4
BANNED

Another option though not much better can be via Allahabad.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 14:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Chandigarh-Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Sagar-Jabalpur

Few notes:

- If you use Delhi-Agra expressway, you are way off Agra city to the north. You need to get back and go through the city to get to Gwalior road.
- Jhansi-Sagar is 4-laned. Makes sense to take that option rather than going via Damoh which is not good.
- Roads around Jabalpur are not good. And I have no idea of how the Sagar-Jabalpur road is.

Refer this thread for more details:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...est-route.html
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 12:26   #6
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the inputs . Considering all these points I took the following route :-
Day 1
Chandigarh (2:30 am) - delhi -( 7 am) -Agra via Yamuna expressway (11 am) - Gwalior (3 pm)

Day 2
Gwalior (7am )- Jhansi (11 am) - sagar (1 pm) - damoh (2pm ) - Jabalpur (4 pm)

Total distance - 1256 km

Road between Gwalior and Jhansi (100 km stretch) was pathetic and and bad roads were converting into almost no roads . The road work was in progress but it's very slow and I think it will take another 1 year to get completed.

Except that all were toll roads and one can easily cover atleast 100-110 km / hr in these stretches.

I'll be writing the detailed travelogue very soon , right now leaving to explore Jabalpur
ambarshante is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 13:47   #7
BHPian

Re: Chandigarh -> Jabalpur?

I have written the travelogue on this journey and the road conditions. People can have a look at the following link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ravelogue.html
Old 30th May 2013, 13:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chandigarh-Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Sagar-Jabalpur

Few notes:

- If you use Delhi-Agra expressway, you are way off Agra city to the north. You need to get back and go through the city to get to Gwalior road.
- Jhansi-Sagar is 4-laned. Makes sense to take that option rather than going via Damoh which is not good.
- Roads around Jabalpur are not good. And I have no idea of how the Sagar-Jabalpur road is.

Refer this thread for more details:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...est-route.html
There is a state highway between Sagar and jabalpur and it is well maintained toll road.
Old 20th May 2016, 16:56   #9
kkg
BHPian

Hi all,

I am planning to go to Jabalpur from Delhi on 1st June. I need the following information from all of you folks-

1.Which is the best route?
2.Is the route doable in single day in a Nano if we leave Delhi by 4am? And will it be advisble to drive at night closing to Jabalpur.
3.We plan to leave Jabalpur on 4th and halt for the night at Jhansi which I think is the midway, is there any good hotels on the highway to stop for the night with family??
4.Lastly but most importantly, whether I should take the risk of making this road trip at all?? I mean it will be june and summers have stared to roll in.And I think it may take toll on both man and machine.

PS: The trip is to surprise our 5yr girl on her birthday on 2nd June. She is already in Jabalpur with her naani. She would be accompanying us on the return journey hence the stopover in the return leg.
Old 24th May 2016, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi-Jabalpur-June-Nano. Route query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I am planning to go to Jabalpur from Delhi on 1st June. I need the following information from all of you folks-

1.Which is the best route?
2.Is the route doable in single day in a Nano if we leave Delhi by 4am? And will it be advisble to drive at night closing to Jabalpur.
3.We plan to leave Jabalpur on 4th and halt for the night at Jhansi which I think is the midway, is there any good hotels on the highway to stop for the night with family??
4.Lastly but most importantly, whether I should take the risk of making this road trip at all?? I mean it will be june and summers have stared to roll in.And I think it may take toll on both man and machine.

PS: The trip is to surprise our 5yr girl on her birthday on 2nd June. She is already in Jabalpur with her naani. She would be accompanying us on the return journey hence the stopover in the return leg.
Delhi-Agra Yamuna Expressway, Agra-Gwalior road is good, Gwalior-Jhansi road is broken and progress will be slow, though I would not say it is bad road, Jhansi-Sagar is again good road. Don't have the latest idea about the sagar-jabalpur section but road should not be in bad condition.

This is certainly doable in a single day by bigger vehicles but I can't say whether you can do it in your Nano. Have no idea of driving that car. You can assume 15-16 hours journey under normal circumstances, you need to decide if you can/should take that risk. No issues driving at night here.

If you and your wife enjoy road trips then you should engage in such journeys. In case you're not comfortable or have questions in your mind than think about breaking the journey into two relaxed days.

Wish your daughter a Very Happy Birthday, in advance.

Last edited by Sommos : 24th May 2016 at 15:14. Reason: b'day wish
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:14   #11
kkg
BHPian

All my homework for this route made me understand me that Gwalior-Jhansi road is in bad shape and takes almost three hours to cover almost 100 kms. Is that so?

Has anyone done that stretch recently, last month or week preferably?
Old 24th May 2016, 15:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
All my homework for this route made me understand me that Gwalior-Jhansi road is in bad shape and takes almost three hours to cover almost 100 kms. Is that so?

Has anyone done that stretch recently, last month or week preferably?
The last I have seen in this forum is this one 11-states-2910-kms-4-days-karaikal-punjab

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks