Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Raipur / Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries

I am planning a Goa trip in September/October 2013. After reading so many TL on the forum for Goa I could not resist myself from planning a trip to this exotic location. The timing of the trip is restricted by the vacation of my son and I'm not very sure if this would be the proper time to visit Goa. This would be the first trip for me and my family to Goa so I would need a lot of freindly advice from the fellow members to make this trip successful.

The first querry would be obviously on the route to be taken.

The TL section is full of information to Goa from Hyderabad and Bangalore in the south and from Mumbai and Pune, but I could not find any information on the route to Goa from Central India. Some people who have done Goa to Kolkata have taken the Hyderabad-Vizaq-Bhubaneshwar-Kolkata route.

Searching Google for the route gave this option :
Bhilai-Nagpur(NH6)-Wardha-Yavatmal-Nanded-Latur-Sholapur(NH204)-some unknown route to join NH204 at Sangola-SH before Sangli via Chikkodi-Sankeshwar-Gavse-Amboli-Sawantwadi-take NH17 to Panjim.
The total distance shown in the map is 1274 KM.

Raipur / Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries-goa1.jpg

I'm not aware of the road condition from Nagpur-Wardha-Yavatmal-Nanded-Latur-Sholapur on NH 204. An alternate option would be to take NH 7 from Nagpur and proceed upto Nirmal and then take NH 222 from Nirmal to Nanded. In that case the distance would be increased by 50KM.

Raipur / Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries-goa2.jpg

A member has already posted that Nagpur to Goa can be done in 15 hours, so I think that the distance from Bhilai to Goa can be done in one-and-half days if I start in the afternoon and halt at Nagpur and next day from Nagpur to Goa. Can this be done ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlebrito View Post
My route to Siliguri from Goa is as follows, subject to changes though, considering that I want my kids to see as much of the country as possible.

Day 1 - leave from Goa, pretty early (probably around 3/4 a.m.)and head straight for Nagpur, via Belgaum and Sholapur. Would like some ideas as to the condition of the roads.
Quote:

You are right in surmising that it is around 1K to Nagpur from Goa, but I have done this before and took me around 10 Hours. So i have earmarked around 15 hours this time. We will leave quite early (Around 3/4 in the morning), and I am hoping to reach before sunset, which is around 6:30ish at this time of the year... Also we will not be stopping to eat, as we generally carry sandwiches which we eat when we are hungry... only stops are 'P' stops...
I would request for your suggestions for the route and the stay options.

Last edited by Sommos : 23rd May 2013 at 15:13.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Raipur / Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I would request for your suggestions for the route and the stay options.
I would suggest that you do

Day 1: Bhilai/Raipur-Hyderabad or Raichur (a little over 12hrs at a comfortable pace)

Day 2:Hyderabad/Raichur-Goa (a little over 12hrs drive,Hyd-Mahbubnagar-Raichur-Gangawati-Koppal-Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Karwar-Madgaon-Panjim)

Distance might be slightly more,but you get to drive on excellent roads and 4 laned all the way till you turn off for Mahbubnagar.I would prefer this route over the isolated SHs of Maharashtra.You could either take the outer ring road and connect directly onto the Mahbubnagar road or else enter Hyd and stay the night and depart for Goa the next day morning.Feel free to let me know in case you need assist with accomodation reccos within hyd.

http://goo.gl/maps/5y33J

This thread has all the details about Hyd-Goa: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ad-goa-36.html

This thread has all the latest between Raipur and Hyderabad:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...h-route-4.html

If you do want to go via the MH roads,then I would suggest Nagpur-Nanded-Solapur-Mangalwedha-Sangola Circle-Sangli-Kolhapur-Nipani-Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Mapusa-Panjim

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 23rd May 2013 at 16:02. Reason: Links updated
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 16:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Raipur / Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries

Thanks for your prompt response.
The route you suggested would increase the journey by some 300KM (almost 25% more travelling). I would definitely keep this as an option but for the time I would be really interested to know the condition of NH 204 from Nagpur-Wardha-Yavatmal-Nanded-Latur-sholapur-sangli-Kohlapur.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:01   #4
BHPian

Re: Raipur / Bhilai to Goa : Road info and other queries

Quote:
I would be really interested to know the condition of NH 204 from Nagpur-Wardha-Yavatmal-Nanded-Latur-sholapur-sangli-Kohlapur.
Hi Summos,
Wardha to Yavatmal is not maintained well, also traffic is high.

Why dont you plan for Bhilai-Nagpur-Jalna-Ahmad Nagar-Pune-Kolhapur route. It just increase travel by 150 KM but 4 Lane highway all the way. You can also visit Mahabaleshwar during onward and Shirdi during return journey.
Old 24th May 2013, 16:41   #5
BHPian

Hi there,

Have just completed phase I of my journey which has brought me to Thimphu, Bhutan. The roads were simply superb and the drive from Goa to Hyderabad and up through Bhubaneshwar and Purnea to Siliguri was fantastic. In a few days I will be doing the onward to Gangtok and then Darjeeling before starting the return via Nagpur. Was wondering if there were any further reports about the route. Do let me know as I am following advice given by BHPians regarding the return and would love to have further inputs.

Will keep you updated and give you complete and detailed advice on my return to Goa, which will be around the 10th of June.

Regards,

Erle Brito
erlebrito is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 16:45   #6
BHPian

Incidentally, I did Goa to Vijaywada in a little over twelve hours with two stops on the way for breakfast and lunch in Mehboobnagar.
Roads are simply superb.
Will tell you more later.
erlebrito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 09:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Hi Summos,
Wardha to Yavatmal is not maintained well, also traffic is high.

Why dont you plan for Bhilai-Nagpur-Jalna-Ahmad Nagar-Pune-Kolhapur route. It just increase travel by 150 KM but 4 Lane highway all the way. You can also visit Mahabaleshwar during onward and Shirdi during return journey.
Thanks Shabbir. Sorry for the delay on my part.

You mean to say Bhilai-Nagpur- Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-Jalna-Pathardi-Ahmednagar-Ranjangaon-Pune-Kohlapur. I see from the google maps that I will have to leave NH6 after Amravati and From there till Pune it will be state highway. Is it all four laned ?

The option to visit Shirdi and Mahabaleshwar enroute is very tempting.

Quote:
Hi there,

Have just completed phase I of my journey which has brought me to Thimphu, Bhutan. The roads were simply superb and the drive from Goa to Hyderabad and up through Bhubaneshwar and Purnea to Siliguri was fantastic. In a few days I will be doing the onward to Gangtok and then Darjeeling before starting the return via Nagpur. Was wondering if there were any further reports about the route. Do let me know as I am following advice given by BHPians regarding the return and would love to have further inputs.

Will keep you updated and give you complete and detailed advice on my return to Goa, which will be around the 10th of June.

Regards,

Erle Brito
I'll be waiting eagerly for your feedback.
Old 28th May 2013, 12:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt response.
The route you suggested would increase the journey by some 300KM (almost 25% more travelling). I would definitely keep this as an option but for the time I would be really interested to know the condition of NH 204 from Nagpur-Wardha-Yavatmal-Nanded-Latur-sholapur-sangli-Kohlapur.
+1 to what Ranjit said

- When you are driving excess of 1000km, a good road makes a lot of difference
- It also brings down your fatigue levels.
- Here I see two options. One you go via Aurangabad/Nagar/Pune
- Or you go via Hyderabad/Raichur.
- Given the fact south of Nagpur, road is 4-lane its preferrable. To me the other option is also decent.
- May be you can try both.
The Pune circuit should include: Nagpur/Amravati/Aurangabad/Nagar/Pune/Goa.

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2013 at 12:05.
Old 28th May 2013, 17:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Bhilai-Nagpur- Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-Jalna-Pathardi-Ahmednagar-Ranjangaon-Pune-Kohlapur. I see from the google maps that I will have to leave NH6 after Amravati and From there till Pune it will be state highway. Is it all four laned ?
Hi Summos,
Bhilai-Amravati is 4 lane Except bhandara- Nagpur(Not sure about current status)
Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-jalna: 2 lane state highway Road condition is good except some places (Much better than CG-OR border road) You can easily maintain 80-100 on this route and traffic is less.
Jalna-Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Pune-Kolhapur: excellent 4 lane.
I take 12-13 hrs for Nagpur-Pune on a leasure drive with speeds 80-100 with 3 breaks of 30 min.

You can reach Shirdi late night on day 1 if start early,
darshan on Day 2, Start at 10 AM Target kolhapur by 6. Goaby midnight.
On Return: Stay at Mahabaleshwar.
Good Luck

Share your itenary.

Regards,

Last edited by shabahmad : 28th May 2013 at 17:54.
shabahmad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shabbir. Sorry for the delay on my part.

You mean to say Bhilai-Nagpur- Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-Jalna-Pathardi-Ahmednagar-Ranjangaon-Pune-Kohlapur. I see from the google maps that I will have to leave NH6 after Amravati and From there till Pune it will be state highway. Is it all four laned ?

The option to visit Shirdi and Mahabaleshwar enroute is very tempting.

I'll be waiting eagerly for your feedback.
Hi Sommos,

Have been waiting for feedback from a friend about the roads from Goa-Nagpur via Ahmednagar since I wanted to give you an honest and complete idea of which route you should take.

With regard to my personal take on the issue, Goa Hyderabad via Mehboobnagar is simply super and I covered the distance in around 8 Hours with an hours break for lunch in Mehboobnagar. I left Goa at 07:30 and went via Chorla Ghat - Belgaum - Bagalkot - Raichur - Mehboobnagar - Hyderabad at 3:30 so I can definitely recommend this route.

On my return leg I came to Hyderabad from Nagpur/Chandrapur road as I spent some days in Tadoba. The road is incomplete on some stretches but quite good for most of the journey. I also decided to experiment with another route as I wanted to give feedback to others and took the road from Hyderabad to Zaheerabad and Humnabad via the Mumbai Hwy and onto Gulbarga - Bijapur and Bagalkot which was actually about 70 kms more.

The Mumbai Hwy is a sad road and is a dual carriageway which is not even well kept. The roads in North Karnataka are surprisingly amongst the best in the country and are well maintained and tarmacked. This is quite a welcome change from the N. Karnataka roads I knew from around 5 years ago.

I asked for feedback from a friend who just went to tadoba after my return and his feed back is that the roads from Aurangabad are non-existent.

Armed with this information I can safely suggest to you to take the Nagpur - Hyderabad Ring Road (Which is an experience in itself) - Mehboobnagar - Raichur - Gangawati - Bagalkot - Belgaum - Kankumbi - Sanquelim - Then either Mapusa or Panjim (Depending which side of Goa you want to go to first)

If you keep to a speed of around 110 - 120 on the highways (Which is easily done) you can make Goa - Nagpur in 10-12 Hrs quite easily (And safely) by using this road.

I will give you all the details you need, with regard to Goa places you need to see in following mails. Just tell me what are your chief interests - sight-seeing/monuments/heritage/photography/birding/wildlife/beaches/history/religion etc.

Quote:
Hi Summos,
Bhilai-Amravati is 4 lane Except bhandara- Nagpur(Not sure about current status)
Amravati-Karanja-Mehkar-jalna: 2 lane state highway Road condition is good except some places (Much better than CG-OR border road) You can easily maintain 80-100 on this route and traffic is less.
I take 12-13 hrs for Nagpur-Pune on a leasure drive with speeds 80-100 with 3 breaks of 30 min.

You can reach Shirdi late night on day 1 if start early,
darshan on Day 2, Start at 10 AM Target kolhapur by 6. Goaby midnight.
On Return: Stay at Mahabaleshwar.
Good Luck

Share your itenary.

Regards,

I do not know this route conditions but Shabahmad seems to know what he is talking about. SO you can go with this choice as well.

Regards,

Erle
erlebrito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Summos,
Very good data. Its really good to note that this section in central India (Bhilai-Nagpur-Amravati) is a good 4-lane! How is traffic on these sectors? As per me it should be quite busy.

While I was trying to search for 4-lane status of NH6, I came across a Times of India article dated May 2012, on commencement of 4-lane work from Akola to Navapur (in Gujrat) then. It was supposed to take about 3 years to close at a cost of about 3900 crores for about 480km. I dont know what that status is today. In spite of the fact that this NH does not come under neither GQ or NS/EW corridor, it seems to be one of arterial roads in the country covering many states.
Old 23rd June 2013, 07:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very good data. Its really good to note that this section in central India (Bhilai-Nagpur-Amravati) is a good 4-lane! How is traffic on these sectors? As per me it should be quite busy.

While I was trying to search for 4-lane status of NH6, I came across a Times of India article dated May 2012, on commencement of 4-lane work from Akola to Navapur (in Gujrat) then. It was supposed to take about 3 years to close at a cost of about 3900 crores for about 480km. I dont know what that status is today. In spite of the fact that this NH does not come under neither GQ or NS/EW corridor, it seems to be one of arterial roads in the country covering many states.
I dont know from where you read this story, but as of now the section between Dhule and Amaravati of NH6 is not being expanded to 4-lane road. You can check the details on the NHAI website.

Also, a few points just for you information.

1. GQ project is pretty much fully complete, less than 20kms of actual progress left.
2. NS-EW corridor too is fully complete, except in the north-eastern states.
3. There are about 5000kms of 4-laned roads completed by NHAI, that are non-GQ and non-NSEW corridor roads.
4. Most new 4-laning works under implementation is now under NHDP Phase III and NHDP Phase IV, which have a about 27000kms beyond GQ and NSEW corridors. Out of these 27000kms about 6000kms are complete, and another 9000kms are under implementation already.
5. Another set of projects is the NHDP phase-V, which involve conversion of about 6000kms of existing 4-lane roads to 6/8 lane roads. Under this phase too about 1500kms are complete and 2500kms under implementation.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I dont know from where you read this story, but as of now the section between Dhule and Amaravati of NH6 is not being expanded to 4-lane road. You can check the details on the NHAI website.
This is where I read.

TOI Link

Quote:
1. GQ project is pretty much fully complete, less than 20kms of actual progress left.
2. NS-EW corridor too is fully complete, except in the north-eastern states.
Am aware of this. Hence was looking at the Non-GQ/Non-EW/NS corridor NH roads.

Quote:
3. There are about 5000kms of 4-laned roads completed by NHAI, that are non-GQ and non-NSEW corridor roads.
4. Most new 4-laning works under implementation is now under NHDP Phase III and NHDP Phase IV, which have a about 27000kms beyond GQ and NSEW corridors. Out of these 27000kms about 6000kms are complete, and another 9000kms are under implementation already.
It surely is good to note. But I was always looking for what I read here from members in terms of their routes planned. In that context if a route which they take shows up as a 4-lane, which I was not aware about, it always good to note.

Quote:
5. Another set of projects is the NHDP phase-V, which involve conversion of about 6000kms of existing 4-lane roads to 6/8 lane roads. Under this phase too about 1500kms are complete and 2500kms under implementation.
Lets hope this happens with minimum hindrances to the traffic, which in most cases wont.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is where I read.

TOI Link
Digging a bit deeper into the NHAI monthly reports, I see that L&T Infrastructure is the chosen contractor for two projects covering MH-GJ border to Amaravati section of NH6, but a supervision consultant has not yet been selected. Overall agreement is yet to be signed, so dont expect work to get completed before 2015/2016.

Quote:
Lets hope this happens with minimum hindrances to the traffic, which in most cases wont.
I have travelled a few sections where road expansion work is going on, hindrances do exist but it isnt too bad. Also this work doesnt take as much time as 4-laning itself.

Also for further information regarding road works, you can get a lot of details from monthly progress reports that are published by the NHAI on their website. A month's reports is generally published within 30-45days of the end of that month. The latest report showing NHDP work upto April 30th 2013 was published on Jun 17th, 2013.

Check this link: http://www.nhai.org/mismenu.asp

Last edited by julupani : 23rd June 2013 at 10:47.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Digging a bit deeper into the NHAI monthly reports, I see that L&T Infrastructure is the chosen contractor for two projects covering MH-GJ border to Amaravati section of NH6, but a supervision consultant has not yet been selected. Overall agreement is yet to be signed, so dont expect work to get completed before 2015/2016.
That is exactly what even the TOI report claims. What thrilled me was the fact, apart from E-W corridor, I was not aware of any other good 4-lane option. If some one from Eastern geography, wants to drive down towards west coast (Bombay/Goa etc) or other parts of central India towards western states, there seem to be very few options available. Nagpur being the centre, 4-lane criss-crossing around this point becomes very crucial in that respect. Seeing that update made me happy; at least that aspect is being looked into. Hope it gets done fast.

Most Viewed