Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2013, 20:43   #1
BHPian

Route from Kolkata to Kunming?

I am searching for roads and how to overland from India to thailand. Found this BCIM Rally. Here is a video found on the youtube, posted by indiandiplomacy on a rally from

I am searching for some more detailed info on the roads, if its possible without any diplomatic help. There are a lot of info where its already ruled out to go through this route without diplomatic help. I am inquisitive if at all there is a group of folks interested we can try to pluck the right strings.

Here is the route as gathered from the video
Kolkata -> jessore -> Daulatdia Ferry Terminal, Dhaka -> (ferry) -> Paturia Ferry Terminal, Manikganj -> Dhaka -> Madhabdi -> Silchar -> Imphal -> Ka Lay (Mayanmar) -> Mandalay -> Ruili, Dehong, Yunnan, China -> Tengchong -> Dali -> Kunming

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2013 at 12:44. Reason: Please remove the "s" from https youtube links. Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route from Kolkata to Kunming?

A personal friend was part of the team that went on this trip. I can give you his contact details. He is a director of CII. However, without diplomatic intervention this is an impossible trip because foreign governments will have to issue special waivers on entry rules. Thailand for example does not allow entry of foreigners by road. So they will need to issue special permits to you and most likely they will not. After all the permissions you have to drive through some of the most inhospitable areas - inhospitable in terms of man made and natural danger. It is not really a drive down the GQ. If you are very keen, keep your ears and eyes open. If you hear about some special government approved rally being planned try to be a part of that team. It is far easier that way.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks