Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 17:49   #1531
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Guys, planning to do Thalassery this weekend on my bike from Bangalore. Will be accompanied by a second rider too. The plan is to take the normal route via Mysore-Gonikuppal while GOING and the Sultan Bathery - Gundlupet - Mysore route while RETURNING.

Here are my queries :

1. If I start at 5 AM, by what time can I expect to reach Thalaserry, keeping in mind a half an hour stoppage at Mysore for breakfast and keeping another half an hour for random short breaks?

2. Do I need to carry all bike documents in original for Kerala? Do I need to pay any sort of tax/permit while entering Kerala?

3. How are the road conditions post Mysore? We are travelling on a Saturday morning, so any idea about the traffic conditions?

4. For the return route, same as question 3?

5. Any good eateries/fuel bunks on the route as my bike has a max. fuel range of 200 kms, so I am anticipating a couple of refuelling stops.

Any other tips and suggestions would be massively appreciated. Awaiting some reponses!
Old 16th February 2015, 18:56   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Guys, planning to do Thalassery this weekend on my bike from Bangalore. Will be accompanied by a second rider too. The plan is to take the normal route via Mysore-Gonikuppal while GOING and the Sultan Bathery - Gundlupet - Mysore route while RETURNING.

Here are my queries :

1. If I start at 5 AM, by what time can I expect to reach Thalaserry, keeping in mind a half an hour stoppage at Mysore for breakfast and keeping another half an hour for random short breaks?

2. Do I need to carry all bike documents in original for Kerala? Do I need to pay any sort of tax/permit while entering Kerala?

3. How are the road conditions post Mysore? We are travelling on a Saturday morning, so any idea about the traffic conditions?

5. Any good eateries/fuel bunks on the route as my bike has a max. fuel range of 200 kms, so I am anticipating a couple of refuelling stops.

Any other tips and suggestions would be massively appreciated. Awaiting some reponses!
1. A car, driven at speeds of 80-90 kmph for most of the time in KA and 60-70 in KL would take around 7 hours to cover this distance on an average day with a 5AM start. I really can't comment on a bike, but may you know what speeds you would do on a bike and calculate accordingly.

2. Always better to carry all original documents. No entry permit needed as long as your bike is not a taxi (yellow board) one

3. Roads are excellent except a 'work in progress' stretch of 2.5 kms between Hunsur and Gonikoppal.

4. I would say, if you don't mind traveling a few kms (around 30-35 extra) , try this route via Wayanad (Mysore-HD Kote-bavaliMananthavady-Kuthuparamba) one way. Roads are again good and passes through Nagarhole tiger reserve. Nothing to worry though. My brother in law and his friends did the route on bikes a couple of weeks ago. This is the route: http://goo.gl/maps/TPv9Z. It would be a very scenic drive, that I can assure you.

5. Plenty of eateries and bunks on Mysore road. There are a couple of bunks on Mysore-Hunsur road after mysore ORR, again on Hunsur bypass, Gonikoppal town and many more after you enter Kerala till Telicherry. There are couple of good hotels - Cafe county being prominent at start of Hunsur bypass. Another good option is Cafe coorg, Gonikoppal. On the other route, century in Mananthavady and one more at Kattikulam, but nothing between HD kote and Kattikulam.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 16th February 2015 at 18:57.
Old 16th February 2015, 19:53   #1533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

Regarding your question on the return route. Road conditions are excellent. Only point is that road widening/four laneing has really kicked off from the bandipur forest exit - gundlepet-nanjangud. This has resulted in 4-5 diversions and dusty sections typical of such work. Nothing too worry about but an irritant nevertheless. My post on the calicut thread has a video showing one such stretch

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3644978

In addition nanjangud - Mysore traffic is generally heavy. So unless you have a specific need to come to Calicut and hence return via bathery, better to stick to one of the other routes.
Old 16th February 2015, 22:09   #1534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
1. A car, driven at speeds of 80-90 kmph for most of the time in KA and 60-70 in KL would take around 7 hours to cover this distance on an average day with a 5AM start. I really can't comment on a bike, but may you know what speeds you would do on a bike and calculate accordingly.

2. Always better to carry all original documents. No entry permit needed as long as your bike is not a taxi (yellow board) one

3. Roads are excellent except a 'work in progress' stretch of 2.5 kms between Hunsur and Gonikoppal.

4. I would say, if you don't mind traveling a few kms (around 30-35 extra) , try this route via Wayanad (Mysore-HD Kote-bavaliMananthavady-Kuthuparamba) one way. Roads are again good and passes through Nagarhole tiger reserve. Nothing to worry though. My brother in law and his friends did the route on bikes a couple of weeks ago. This is the route: http://goo.gl/maps/TPv9Z. It would be a very scenic drive, that I can assure you.

5. Plenty of eateries and bunks on Mysore road. There are a couple of bunks on Mysore-Hunsur road after mysore ORR, again on Hunsur bypass, Gonikoppal town and many more after you enter Kerala till Telicherry. There are couple of good hotels - Cafe county being prominent at start of Hunsur bypass. Another good option is Cafe coorg, Gonikoppal. On the other route, century in Mananthavady and one more at Kattikulam, but nothing between HD kote and Kattikulam.
Many thanks for the prompt reply!

I now get a gist of the distance and the average speed we need to maintain. Shall work on it.
Yes, I read about the 'work in progress' stretch. No worries. We should be fine on that for 2.5 kms.
Shall discuss with my partner if we can take that route while returning. The probability of riding through Wayanad is already making me inclined for it.
Thanks for the info on the restaurants. We now know where to plan our pitstops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Regarding your question on the return route. Road conditions are excellent. Only point is that road widening/four laneing has really kicked off from the bandipur forest exit - gundlepet-nanjangud. This has resulted in 4-5 diversions and dusty sections typical of such work. Nothing too worry about but an irritant nevertheless. My post on the calicut thread has a video showing one such stretch

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3644978

In addition nanjangud - Mysore traffic is generally heavy. So unless you have a specific need to come to Calicut and hence return via bathery, better to stick to one of the other routes.
Thanks!
I see. I did Bandipur in a SUV a couple of months back, and I do agree that the traffic between Nanjangud and Mysore is very heavy during daytime. Shal work on alternative options.
Old 27th February 2015, 14:46   #1535
BHPian

Updates :

Did Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlupet-Bathery-Koilandi-Thalassery (430 kms) around 3 days back. Road is in amazing condition except near Gundlupet, where before the town the road has 4-5 diversions and bad conditions which last for around 3 kms. Similarly, after Gundlupet when you take the right towards Bathery, the road had minimal traffic (11 AM) and was in terrible condition for around 3-4 kms after which there was NO poor stretch until Thalassery.

While returning we did the Thalassery-Iritty-Gonikoppal-Mysore-Bangalore (320 kms) where the road was in bad condition for about a kilometre in the jungle area, after which it was a breeze. Watch out for sudden potholes on the road before Mysore starts.
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:56   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I am planning a bangalore - tirunelly temple trip. I have identified 4 routes. Need your help choosing which one -

(1) bangalore - mysore - hunsur - nagarhole - kutta - tholpetty - tirunelli
(2) bangalore - mysore - hunsur - gonikkoppa - kutta - tholpetty - tirunelli
(3) bangalore - mysore - handpost (near HD kote) - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli
(4) bangalore - mysore - gundlupet - bathery - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli

(1) and (3) are of roughly same distance , (2) is longer by 25-30 km, (4) is longer by 55-60 km.

Since I will be driving a sedan (rapid), MY ONLY PRIORITY IS KINDER ROAD SURFACE - where I am able to do 40-50 kmph with least amount of potholes.

regarding (3), any latest updates on the current road condition b/w "handpost" and "kattikulam" ?

Appreciate your help.

Did you complete the trip? Which route did you take and how was the road condition? Where did you stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
This would be my suggestion.
As per my friends who are from Mananthawadi side, the road is in good condition and nothing to worry at all

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:28   #1537
BHPian

Finally there is some good news on the Hunsur - Gonikoppal stretch. The roadwork is complete. The last stretch was WIP when I drove to Thalassery on 27th. I will try to post the pics of the newly laid road when I drive back tomorrow.
Vancho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 20:05   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancho View Post
Finally there is some good news on the Hunsur - Gonikoppal stretch. The roadwork is complete. The last stretch was WIP when I drove to Thalassery on 27th. I will try to post the pics of the newly laid road when I drive back tomorrow.
Any update on the Sreerangapatna - Elwala stretch ...? The road was closed at the KRS turn under the railway underpass

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 3rd March 2015, 22:07   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any update on the Sreerangapatna - Elwala stretch ...? The road was closed at the KRS turn under the railway underpass

Thanks
Rajesh
Read in another forum (courtesy: Deepak- Denver85) that it is still closed. Mysore ORR remains the best option.
Old 4th March 2015, 03:12   #1540
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Rajesh
I normally take the ORR so I am not sure of the Yelwala - Srirangapatna route.
Old 4th March 2015, 06:43   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any update on the Sreerangapatna - Elwala stretch ...?
I tried that road on 15 Feb; no luck. It looked out of action for the medium term (a year).
Old 4th March 2015, 21:24   #1542
BHPian

Let me try it on this Friday. I will update the status after that.

Only issue is, I have to come back to Mysore ring road if this road is closed. Is there any other alternate way? google showing many small routes, but not sure on the condition of it
Old 8th March 2015, 17:41   #1543
BHPian

Came back to Bangalore after a short visit to Payyanur. The underpass at KRS turn in Srirangapatna byepass is still closed. I went up to half the way and took the connection road to join ring road (via JK Tyre factory). This seems to be a better option to avoid the traffic till the Columbia Asia hospital.

The road work is almost completed at Anechowkur. 2layers of Asphalting is completed and 3rd layer is pending as of today for around 500mtr. Currently the bads roads are only at Bangalore City...!!!
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 16:26   #1544

Hi All,
Need an update on the road conditions from Gonnikoppa to Talaserry via Irrity.
Thanks in advance!!
Cheers
Old 13th March 2015, 11:19   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BULK View Post
Hi All,
Need an update on the road conditions from Gonnikoppa to Talaserry via Irrity.
Thanks in advance!!
Cheers
Gonikoppal-Virajpet (biitangala, bypass): Newly laid, excellent tarmac.
Virajpet (biitangala, bypass) - Perumpadi-Makkutta ghats-Koottupuzha-Iritty: Top class. No potholes at all on the ghat road. Stray potholes near Iritty bridge.
Iritty-Mattannur: Good roads with heavy traffic during daytime
Mattannur-Kuthuparamba-Telichery: KSTP road work in full swing. Expect diversions between Kathirur and Eranjholi bridge, Telicherry. Have not done this stretch since a few months, so some else can throw light with the exact details.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed