Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 11:12   #1546
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Did a round trip to Kannur during weekend. Had to meet some one in Kaattikulam so took a different route: Bangalore - Mysore - HD Kote( Hand Post) - Kabini - Bavali - Mananthavadi - Peria - Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba- Kannur
Started at 5:00 Am reached Kaattikulam by 9:30 AM, after meeting started off at 11:30 and reached home(Eachur) at 1:30 PM. The roads are good and the drive through Kabini and Nagahole national park is refreshing. Spotted, peacocks,elephants and lots of deers and monkeys, and birds.
Old 9th April 2015, 17:16   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive from Bangalore on this Saturday early morning. Is Srirangapatna-Yelwal stretch open? or Ring road option is better?
Old 10th April 2015, 21:10   #1548
BHPian

I felt Ring road is always better. Distance is more,but you can go fast. And if you are starting around 5am, even crossing Mysore city is quite OK.
Old 12th April 2015, 11:11   #1549
BHPian

On Friday (10th Apri'15), I came via the KRS route. There is no issues in this route and its very scenic too comparing with the boring ring road. The ring road has always heavy traffic, and loads of road humps. Any day I prefer to avoid this.

On the KRS road, there is a new railway underbridge coming up and work is in full swing. Road is bit rough any some places, but it is quite manageable, no need to take the additional ~8km extra in the ring road.
Old 12th April 2015, 11:20   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
On the KRS road, there is a new railway underbridge coming up and work is in full swing. Road is bit rough any some places, but it is quite manageable, no need to take the additional ~8km extra in the ring road.
Thanks for the update Rajesh.

About 6 weeks ago we took the KRS route back from Kannur and we were forced to take a diversion because of this. We ended up back on the Ring Road and I'm thinking the distance savings are reduced. Is this diversion still there? It looked like heavy work and the underpass work would take at least another 6 months (thinking optimistically).
Old 12th April 2015, 14:21   #1551
BHPian

There is no diversion now. You can take the direct route in front of the Powergrid Corporation gate.
Old 13th April 2015, 10:25   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
About 6 weeks ago we took the KRS route back from Kannur and we were forced to take a diversion because of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
There is no diversion now. You can take the direct route in front of the Powergrid Corporation gate.
Took the Yelawala - KRS - Srirangapatna yesterday while coming back from Coorg. Some sections are newly laid, some are patchy but saves a lot of time.
This is the route to take towards Hunsur now.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:52   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo View Post
The roads are good and the drive through Kabini and Nagahole national park is refreshing. Spotted, peacocks,elephants and lots of deers and monkeys, and birds.
Its been a couple of years since I took the HD Kote route. I remember, earlier there was a stretch of about 8 KMs in which you have to go through a couple of villages and roads were bad and narrow(diversion to left in front of the Rajiv Gandhi National Park gate). Do you still need to take this diversion?
Old 16th April 2015, 12:39   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Its been a couple of years since I took the HD Kote route. I remember, earlier there was a stretch of about 8 KMs in which you have to go through a couple of villages and roads were bad and narrow(diversion to left in front of the Rajiv Gandhi National Park gate). Do you still need to take this diversion?
The diversion is still very much present. but has been fully tarred, and has a very good road surface now except for gigantic speedbreakers around the village areas. (And it's more like 15 kms - not 8)

So overall the Mysore-Handpost-Bavali-Mananthavady route is quite a pleasant drive these days since traffic isn't very high either. The Bangalore-Mysore section is the bottleneck in that route if one is travelling from Bangalore to Mananthavady
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 10:40   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Took the Yelawala - KRS - Srirangapatna yesterday while coming back from Coorg. Some sections are newly laid, some are patchy but saves a lot of time.
This is the route to take towards Hunsur now.
After a long time, took this route yesterday while returning from Kannur to Bangalore. There are plenty of rough sections which might be of concern when driving a small hatch. on top of that, there is a railway gate to cross. An underpass near the railway gate is getting ready and may be opened soon though.
Overall, I still feel Mysore ORR is a better option to bypass Mysore city compared to the KRS road especially if you are driving a small hatch. Roads are extremely good and 6 laned all the way (except at 4 railway underpasses) on the ORR and traffic is light. The only issue is the additional few speed breakers to negotiate in the SH17 between Columbia Asia junction and Srirangapatna.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:07   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Guys ,

Me planning to drive to Mangalore via Kannur . Plan is to start in the night . Need your help on route options .
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:07   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Guys ,

Me planning to drive to Mangalore via Kannur . Plan is to start in the night . Need your help on route options .
Via Kannur, because you have some work at Kannur? If yes, Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur-Thaliparamba-Payyannur-Kasargod-Mangalore
Maps link:http://goo.gl/maps/O6Rz5

If you have no business in Kannur town, avoid it by directly going to Taliparamba from iritty via Sreekandapuram. The road starts right before the Iritty bridge.

http://goo.gl/maps/AW1DK

Excellent roads, either way
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:19   #1558
BHPian

Heading to Payangadi around 2AM tomorrow morning. I'm still confused which is the better option to hit Iritty - via KRS road or via Mysore ORR? Are the patchy roads on the KRS roads really bad?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:01   #1559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefiu View Post
Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Better to take the Mysore ORR for night drives. You dont want to get stuck at these hours.
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:02   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Via Kannur, because you have some work at Kannur? If yes, Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty-Mattannur-Kannur-Thaliparamba-Payyannur-Kasargod-Mangalore

Maps link:http://goo.gl/maps/O6Rz5

If you have no business in Kannur town, avoid it by directly going to Taliparamba from iritty via Sreekandapuram. The road starts right before the Iritty bridge.

http://goo.gl/maps/AW1DK

Excellent roads, either way

Sure. Will take option 2. I am starting late night and will be covering this stretch early morning. Just a solo drive as family is in mangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks