Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 14:59   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Anyone has a recent update on the Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Makkutta route for cars, pls share.
Old 24th June 2018, 11:31   #1907
BHPian

A report in today's Mathrubhumi (malayalam daily) says that the maintenance work is in full swing and aiming to be completed in 10 days. Currently, the reinforcement of Makkutta bridge is happening, which will be completed in a week's time. Karnataka govt has alotted 6.5 crore for the overall maintenance of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-img_20180624_112211795.jpg  

Old 26th June 2018, 12:04   #1908
BHPian

Hi All,

I need some advice on the current recommended route to Taliparamba from Bangalore (JP Nagar side). I will have to travel this weekend. I see the following options:
  1. Google Maps' default route is via Mysore - Bavali - Mananthavady - Boys' Town (Palchuram route) - Mattannur - Taliparamba. However, for this, I would need to ensure I reach the Bavali forest section before 6 PM (~350 km)
  2. Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Mananthavady route with a diversion at Thithimathi before Gonikoppal. I understand the diversion is due to road work. (~370km)
  3. Travel to Mananthavady via Gundlupet. This again has a restriction in the forest area but advantage (at least for me) is being familiar with this route. (~385km)
  4. There was a suggestion about travelling to Payannur via Sullia route. Is travelling to Payannur and then onwards to Taliparamba a feasible option? (400+ km)

Mananthavady to Taliparamba is common for options 1-3. How is the current condition of this road? Is it better to go to Iritty and take the SH to Taliparamba than go via Matannur?

For route 2, how is the condition and nature of the route from Thithimathi to Kutta?

Will going via Sullia - Payannur take considerably longer time? My understanding is that it would be better roads. I don't mind driving a bit extra if that would mean better roads. I have taken both sections of route 1 a few years back (Bangalore - Bavali and Mananthavady - Iritty - Taliparamba) and at that time, the roads were a bit narrow and hence slower.

I am also open to traveling by bus or train if that is a feasible option. I did not look at the bus option as the regular route is closed and I am not sure about the current route and the additional time taken. One of my colleagues who traveled last week from Thalassery mentioned that it took two hours extra by bus as compared to earlier.

I will be leaving either Friday afternoon or Saturday early morning - yet to finalize this. Looking forward to your inputs on this.

Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 15:19   #1909
Senior - BHPian

See the response in bold.

Google Maps' default route is via Mysore - Bavali - Mananthavady - Boys' Town (Palchuram route) - Mattannur - Taliparamba. However, for this, I would need to ensure I reach the Bavali forest section before 6 PM (~350 km)

Preferred only during day time if you can reach the check post by 6pm. (Meaning starting from Bangalore not later than 1pm.)

Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Mananthavady route with a diversion at Thithimathi before Gonikoppal. I understand the diversion is due to road work. (~370km)

I would not prefer this. Adds 1.5 hours which is same as Sullya route which has better roads. Travel time approx 8-9hrs

Travel to Mananthavady via Gundlupet. This again has a restriction in the forest area but advantage (at least for me) is being familiar with this route. (~385km)

Not a good option for Taliparamba

There was a suggestion about travelling to Payannur via Sullia route. Is travelling to Payannur and then onwards to Taliparamba a feasible option? (400+ km)

The extra kms/hours is worth it. Can travel safely at any time of the day. Wide roads. About 10-11 hrs travel time

Mananthavady to Taliparamba is common for options 1-3. How is the current condition of this road? Is it better to go to Iritty and take the SH to Taliparamba than go via Matannur?

Roads are good, some humpy stretches around Mananthavady. Via Mattanur is better than Iritty.

For route 2, how is the condition and nature of the route from Thithimathi to Kutta?

Good road.

Will going via Sullia - Payannur take considerably longer time?
1.5 to 2 hrs extra, but like said earlier, worth it.

I am also open to traveling by bus or train if that is a feasible option.

Trains for weekends are generally full. May need to look for Tatkal. Bus is an option if you are travelling overnight and do not want to drive.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 21:08   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The extra kms/hours is worth it. Can travel safely at any time of the day. Wide roads. About 10-11 hrs travel time
Thanks balenoed_ for the detailed response. From Sullia onwards, what route is advisable? I see these
  1. Sullia - Kolichal - Therthally - Taliparamba (mostly SH 59)
  2. Sullia - Bandadka - Kanhangad - Taliparamba
  3. Sullia - Jalsoor - Chattanchal - Kanhangad - Taliparamba (SH 55 + NH 66)
Anything else apart from these?

Quote:
Trains for weekends are generally full. May need to look for Tatkal. Bus is an option if you are travelling overnight and do not want to drive.
I will take bus/train if I go alone - though the train option seems to be really time consuming. If going with family, I would prefer to drive (early afternoon or early morning start). That part is yet to be decided
Old 26th June 2018, 21:29   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Thanks balenoed_ for the detailed response. From Sullia onwards, what route is advisable? I see these

Sullia - Kolichal - Therthally - Taliparamba (mostly SH 59)
Sullia - Bandadka - Kanhangad - Taliparamba
Sullia - Jalsoor - Chattanchal - Kanhangad - Taliparamba (SH 55 + NH 66)
Third one-
Sullia - Jalsoor - Cherkala - Chattanchal - Kanhangad - Taliparamba

Mysore to Taliparamba would be approx - 7 hours.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:41   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
Hi All,

I need some advice on the current recommended route to Taliparamba from Bangalore (JP Nagar side). I will have to travel this weekend. I see the following options:
[*]Mysore - Hunsur - Kutta - Mananthavady route with a diversion at Thithimathi before Gonikoppal

I will be leaving either Friday afternoon or Saturday early morning - yet to finalize this. Looking forward to your inputs on this.

Thanks
As far as I know, there is no diversion there now. The temporary bridge is repaired and open for use for cars. You can drive through to Gonikoppal from Hunsur-Thithimathi. You could do Gonikoppal-Kutta-Mananthavady-Boys town-Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Iritty-Taliparamba. Lot of twisty roads to negotiate though, post Mananthavady.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 14:02   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
As far as I know, there is no diversion there now. The temporary bridge is repaired and open for use for cars.
Yes, it is repaired. They are allowing heavy vehicles.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 14:10   #1914
BHPian

What is the best route to Chittarikkal from Bangalore? How much would be the approximate drive time?
Old 29th June 2018, 16:48   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
What is the best route to Chittarikkal from Bangalore? How much would be the approximate drive time?
In the wake of the Iritty route closed, going via Madikeri is the best option.

Your route would be-
Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullya - Panathur - Kolichal - Chittarikkal

But I am not sure about the present road condition from Sullya to Panathur. Once you reach Sullya, check with the locals. If that does not seem to be okay, then you can take the Sullya - Jalsoor- Cherkala - Kanhanagad - Chittarikkal. This is way to much of additional drive. So see if you can get through Sullya - Panathur stretch itself.
Old 7th July 2018, 05:19   #1916
Senior - BHPian

They may allow small vehicles to use Makkuttam ghat road from today.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 00:09   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
They may allow small vehicles to use Makkuttam ghat road from today.
Confirmed. They are allowing small vehicles from yesterday.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 20:07   #1918
BHPian

Just received this image in WhatsApp with the message 'road damaged in Gonikkoppa <> Hunsur road; traffic diverted.'
Not sure of the authenticity. Anyone has confirmed news?

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-ngaa0196.jpg
Old 8th July 2018, 23:23   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Just received this image in WhatsApp with the message 'road damaged in Gonikkoppa <> Hunsur road; traffic diverted.'
Not sure of the authenticity. Anyone has confirmed news?
I am not sure about this particular picture, but Thithimathi bridge which is between Gonikoppal and Hunsur has collapsed and traffic is diverted via Polibetta - Siddapura today.
Old 9th July 2018, 09:41   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about this particular picture, but Thithimathi bridge which is between Gonikoppal and Hunsur has collapsed and traffic is diverted via Polibetta - Siddapura today.
The Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet route does not seem to be in good condition. My parents were in a bus yesterday coming from Kannur to Bangalore, and it took nearly 12 hours instead of the usual 8 hours. The bus which started from Kannur at 9 PM reached Kalasipalayam only at 8.45 AM. The alternate route being very narrow at places was jammed at many places due to the flow of buses to and fro. There was an accident involving a Kannur bound SRS travels bus which caused more delays.

Suggest anyone doing Bangalore-Kannur to take the Mysore-HDKote-Bavali-Mananthavady route till the bridge is repaired. Note, this route is open only during day (6AM to 6PM, between HDkote and Bavali).
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed