Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 12:45   #1951
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The route is Bangalore - Srirangapatna - KRS Road (which bypasses Mysore city) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Ghat road - Koottupuzha - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur.
On time!!. . Came to ask for route advice for Kannur.
How much time (avg) does it take from Bangalore to Kannur for a 5.30 am start on a Saturday.
I have had a very bad experience between Bangalore Mysore couple of times as if im driving on ORR.
Is it advisable to take the usual Channapatna route or Kanakapura route to reach Mysore?

Taking a Low GC hatch for the trip, hope no issues.
Old 18th December 2018, 13:26   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
How much time (avg) does it take from Bangalore to Kannur for a 5.30 am start on a Saturday.
I have had a very bad experience between Bangalore Mysore couple of times as if im driving on ORR.
Is it advisable to take the usual Channapatna route or Kanakapura route to reach Mysore?

Taking a Low GC hatch for the trip, hope no issues.
Budget around 7-7.5 hours including breaks with sedate driving. If you can start a bit earlier, say by around 5 AM you can cover the distance in 7 hours. Expect heavier traffic once you cross into Kerala.
I would recommend regular Mysore road for a 5-5.30 AM start. Also, the Bangalore-Kanakapura road stretch is undergoing widening and there are many deviations which could rob time.

No issues with any car. Exercise caution in the WIP areas between Kootupuzha and Iritty.

EDIT: If you are planning to drive on this saturday (22nd dec) , expect much heavier traffic on Mysore road than usual. Long weekend+Christmas holidays means many would head out of town!

Last edited by sandsun7 : 18th December 2018 at 13:28.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:12   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Has night bus services started via Makkutta ghat?
Old 22nd December 2018, 14:34   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yes, the road is open for all vehicles at night as well.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2018, 16:42   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Yes, all kind of buses are now allowed 24x7. Trucks are still banned.
My parents traveled last week- the bus started at 8.55 PM from Kalasipalayam and dropped them at Kannur fort road at 3.30 AM. This by far is the earliest I have heard any bus reach Kannur in recent times.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:43   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
The route is Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Makootta - Kuttupuzha - Vallithode - Ulikkal - Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram - Taliparamba - Payyanur.

I do this very frequently and the last being last weekend.
Headed towards Nileshwar.

Looking for a family friendly stop for refreshments and clean loos on this sector:

Vallithode - Ulikkal - Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram

Please suggest.

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:59   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post

Looking for a family friendly stop for refreshments and clean loos on this sector:

Vallithode - Ulikkal - Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram
Unfortunately, there is nothing on that sector. The next nearest place is 19 kms after Sreekandapuram which is hotel Bamboo fresh at Taliparamba. The rest rooms are only kind of okay but food is good.

See if you can time it to take a break at Coorg Gate at perumbadi check post and then drive non stop to Nileswar.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd January 2019 at 18:00.
Old 4th January 2019, 21:39   #1958
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to go to Kannur from Bangalore on Saturday, 12 Jan 2019 (Pongal holidays) . Looking at the distance, I guess I'd rather find an OYO at Madiwala than Hebbal (where I have to work). Please suggest the route - is it better to hit Bannerghatta and take the NICE road (or from e-City)?

Also, do 2 wheelers need to pay toll on NICE road (assuming 2 wheelers are allowed)?

The objective is to capture some "Theyyam" in action - if anyone knows the place and date or some pointers, would be helpful.

Also, I see just 2 OYOs at Kannur - any decent / budget stay options anywhere at Thalassery etc ?
Old 5th January 2019, 09:32   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Planning to go to Kannur from Bangalore on Saturday, 12 Jan 2019 (Pongal holidays) . Looking at the distance, I guess I'd rather find an OYO at Madiwala than Hebbal (where I have to work). Please suggest the route - is it better to hit Bannerghatta and take the NICE road (or from e-City)?

Also, do 2 wheelers need to pay toll on NICE road (assuming 2 wheelers are allowed)?
If you have work near Hebbal, no need to go again up to E-city unless you have something else to attend there. You could exit onto Mysore road via BEL Gorguntepalaya-Tumkur road-NICE-Mysore road.
Yes , two wheeler are allowed on NICE and they do need to pay toll.

Quote:
The objective is to capture some "Theyyam" in action - if anyone knows the place and date or some pointers, would be helpful.

Also, I see just 2 OYOs at Kannur - any decent / budget stay options anywhere at Thalassery etc ?
You could refer to this calendar : http://www.theyyamcalendar.com/theyyam_calendar.html

http://travelkannur.com/theyyam-calender/
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 00:01   #1960
Distinguished - BHPian

Does this route via Mysore road also go through Bandipur? If so, what's the gate opening time? I am thinking of pushing off early in the morning from Bangy (4 AM if required) to beat the holiday rush.
Old 9th January 2019, 07:04   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this route via Mysore road also go through Bandipur? If so, what's the gate opening time? I am thinking of pushing off early in the morning from Bangy (4 AM if required) to beat the holiday rush.
No. Bandipur is different route that takes you to Wayanad, a liitle south of Kannur.
No gate closings in Kannur route.
Old 10th January 2019, 00:57   #1962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. Bandipur is different route that takes you to Wayanad, a liitle south of Kannur.
No gate closings in Kannur route.
Ok - I was hoping to ride thru Bandipur - what's the additional distance / time required if I take the Bandipur route?

Also, howz the usual Kannur route - scenic?
Old 10th January 2019, 08:57   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok - I was hoping to ride thru Bandipur - what's the additional distance / time required if I take the Bandipur route?

Well, the usual route is not that scenic.

Then you should probably go via Hunsur - Kutta - Mananthavady - Iritty - Kannur.

The Hunsur - Kutta stretch goes through Nagarhole national park which might interest you. This stretch is closed from 6pm to 6am. Will be around another 50kms/1.5 hours extra.
Old 10th January 2019, 11:48   #1964
BHPian

Quote:

It depends on what you describe scenic as! The regular Bangalore Kannur route is 'diverse' at least. It has 4 lane divided highway, undivided highway, village roads, a little bit of forest stretch, a ghat section and some heavier traffic kerala roads as you approach Kannur. The driving time is around 7 hours and traffic is usually sparse if you plan the Mysore road stretch time well.
Regular route is Bangalore - Srirangapatana (bypass Mysore) – Yelawala – Hunsur – Gonikkuppa - Bittangala(Bypass Virajpet) – Makkootta – Koottupuzha – Iritty – Mattannur – Kannur. Roads are good pretty much throughout till Kerala, except for a 7 KM stretch from Thithimathi to Gonikkuppa which has some potholes. In Kerala, roadwork is on, but nothing to worry about.

Alternate routes you can check out at are below. These have more forest stretches, but have night traffic restrictions. Map it out to check.

Alternate 1
Bangalore - Mysore – Hampapura – HD Kote handpost(Heggadadevanakote) – Bavali – Kattikulam - Mananthavady – Boys Town - (Periya – Nedumpoyil – Kannavam – Koothuparamba -Kannur)/(Kottiyoor - Peravoor - Iritty - Mattannur - Kannur)

Alternate 2
Bangalore – Srirangapatana (bypass Mysore) – Yelawala – Hunsur – Nagarhole – Murukal – Kutta – kattikulam – Mananthavady – rest as above

Alternate 3 - Longer, via Bandipur - Nothing much special here though
Bangalore – Mysore – Nanjangud – Gundelpet – Muthanga – Sultan Bathery – Panamaram – Mananthavady – rest as above
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 14:00   #1965
BHPian

Update from recent drive:
New speed breakers installed in the Rajiv Gandhi National park stretch between Alluru and Thithimathi - all 24 of them! One is present at least every 500 meters, sometimes even closer. Starts at Alluru, even before the welcome arch of the forest stretch. They are of the flatter type having flat top with concrete interlock blocks. The ones between Anechowkur and Thithimathi are marked in white lines, those before are not, but have speed breaker road sign. Please be cautious while driving in this stretch. One of the speed breakers is already broken and has created a dangerous ditch.
New road is completed between koottupuzha and Iritty and almost till Mattannur. There is still a stretch just before Mattannur where work is going on. Work is still happening between Mattannur and Kuthuparamba.

For the past couple of drives, have been stopping at 'Hotel Amrutha Bouffaye' just after Hunsur for food. Food is good and the place is usually not crowded. Tastes more homely than hotel. They have good options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For lunch and dinner lot of non-veg options also available. Toilets are decent too.
This hotel is after Hunsur, at the Y intersection where the last road from Hunsur town meets the by-pass. It is a house converted to hotel, so easy to miss.
This is the location -
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...2!4d76.2675116
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks