Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 22:47   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
So we don't have a proper road to North Kerala for at least 6 months (provided the Perumpady~Makuta road is opened in Dec 09 as promised)

Man this is bad news for all who plan to visit north kerala for weekends.
Today's Mathrubhumi reported that the Makkutta road repair is stopped by the contractor saying that the money is not sufficient..!! If this is correct, we are in real soup..!!

Now the full time open roads will be
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Mysore ~ Hunsur ~ Gonikoppa ~ Ponampete ~ Srimangala ~ Kutta ~ Mananthavady
2. Hunsur - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad (Bhagamandala to Panathur road is dense forest and no idea about the current condition after the rains started, the distance is 26KM)
3. Hunsur - Madikeri - Jalsur - Cherkala - Kanhagad

Don't know when these roads also will be closed. Anyway, there is a meeting by the district collectors on 11th June'09 as per Mathrubhumi.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 10th June 2009, 06:35   #242
BHPian

Personally I don't see any problem as I always travel during day time. I am wondering about those who use the bus service to travel. I don't think this restrtiction is going to last long. As per Mathrubhumi, they have made this restriction to save animals from rash drivers. I am not sure how many animals died during last one year. They should publish these figures first before putting any such restriction. They should realize that, this is going to affect many people. One option is that, they can have multiple removable speed breakers, if indeed people are over speeding in that stretch. This is my opinion.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 10th June 2009, 08:56   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
T
2. Hunsur - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad (Bhagamandala to Panathur road is dense forest and no idea about the current condition after the rains started, the distance is 26KM)
Has anyone been on this road? What are the coordinates - where does one turn off at Bhagamandala?
Old 10th June 2009, 10:41   #244
BHPian

This is the report in todays TOI Bangalore Edition

Bandipur ban may be lifted

Mysore: The Chamarajanagar district administration may after all not implement the night ban on movement of vehicles through Bandipur National Park, which was due to come into effect from Wednesday.
Based on a report from Project Tiger’s director and other departments, an order was issued on June 3 banning vehicular movement through the sanctuary between 9 pm and 6 am as a measure to reduce accidents involving animals. Now, under pressure from vehicle owners from Tamil Nadu and Kerala and Karnataka, the government has directed the Chamarajanagar DC to withdraw the ban. The transport lobby is said to have pressured the chief minister to withdraw the ban as it will affect business and transport of essential commodities.
However, the ban on movement of vehicles through Nagarahole will continue as it was at the behest of a Supreme Court order. TNN

So we have this road still open for the time being.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:44   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Has anyone been on this road? What are the coordinates - where does one turn off at Bhagamandala?
Hi HVK, Bhagamandala is a very small place. While coming from Madikeri, you need to take right at Bhagamandala, to reach Panathur.The straite road goes to Thalacauveri (Where the Cauveri river starts). I don't remember exact landmarks.

While coming from Panathur, Bhagamandala is at the dead end, and one need to take left turn to reach Madikeri.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 13th June 2009, 10:29   #246
BHPian

Latest news is that, govt transfered the person who signed the order for banning vehicle from 9PM to 6AM. As per yesterday's Hindu, top officials of TN and KA met at Bandipur and decided to form a high level committee to study the impact of vehicle movement through all national parks. One suggestion is to implement the speed restrictions and also put humps at every 100 m
Regards,
Sarin
Old 13th June 2009, 15:12   #247
Senior - BHPian

Speedbreakers at every 100 metres throughout the forest stretch, that is really absurd and stretching matters too far ! And if the humps are standard, buses and trucks will not slow down for them either !
Old 15th June 2009, 11:24   #248
BHPian

Update on HD Kotta - Bavali - Mananthawadi Road as on 13th June'09

On June'13th, I travelled through this road via KSRCTC Bus. The road from Mysore till the gate of the Reserved forest is in good condition. But the front gate is always closed now, and one need take a long deviation of around 6km to enter the Park through another gate. Once you enter, then around 10-12km, the road is good, newly laid road. The road work in progressing, but in snail's speed.

After this, the road is slowly getting disappears. Its a completely collapsed track, and after 10-12 km, I felt travelling like a boat. The Bus is swaying to both sides like any thing. Finally after 1hrs of struggle, the bus reached Bavali. After this Kerala started and roads are in really good condition. The bus took 3:30hrs to reach Mananthawadi from Mysore

Karnataka completely neglected this area and there are many Tribals and others living inside this park. Maynot be a vote bank for the parties ruling karnataka..!!

Nitin, It was good that you had came back to Gundalpet route on that day.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 19th June 2009, 03:04   #249
BHPian

Update on Mysore - Madikeri - bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanhangad - Payyanur Road

All,

Last time while coming back from Native I took the Panathur - Bhagamandala - Madikeri route. This is a good option for those who are staying north of Kannur, specifically beyond Payyanur.

The distances are
Payyanur - Kanhangad -> 35Kms
Kanhangad - Panathur -> 46Kms
Panathur - Bhagamandala -> 26Km
Bhagamandala - Madikeri -> 32Kms

Total from Payyanur - Bangalore -> 395kms

The roads are good till Madikeri, except a 3-4kms soon after entering Karnataka. There is some mini power project is under construction after Panathur in Karnataka, may be the construction vehicles spoiled the road. There was some large scale tree felling happend in the forest area, still the forest area is deep and good to see. Its around 16km long, during this you will hardly see any vehicle movement. You will start seing people movement while close to Bhagamandala.

But the Madikeri - Kushalanagara section is totally disappointing. Roads are excellent after Kushalanagar.

Hi HVK,

By any chance you want to try this road while coming from Bangalore, take the left turn at Madikeri circle. (I don't know if any other circle is there in madikeri and this circle is quiet big with a petrol pump on one side). Once you are down the hill, take left to join the bhagamandala road (1.5Km from Madikeri town). If you didn't take this left, it will go directly to M'lore, so be careful

After around 7-8km, you can see one road goes left and there is a bigger sign board to direct you to bhagamandala. (The straite road will take you to Jalsoor - Cherkala - Kasaragod). At bhagamandala, there is a big arch gate to showing welcome to thalacauveri, just under this arch gate, take right turn to reach Panathur. (There is a small hill station near to Panathur, called Ranipuram -> Tour to Ranipuram, RanipuramTour, Travel to Ranipuram, Ranipuram Tours, Tourism of Kerala, Kerala Tourism ). the panathur - Kanhangad road will touch the NH-17. Please let me know if you need any further information

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 19th June 2009 at 03:06.
Old 19th June 2009, 09:16   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After around 7-8km, you can see one road goes left and there is a bigger sign board to direct you to bhagamandala. (The straite road will take you to Jalsoor - Cherkala - Kasaragod). At bhagamandala, there is a big arch gate to showing welcome to thalacauveri, just under this arch gate, take right turn to reach Panathur.
Rajesh, thanks for the comprehensive route guide. Long ago, when I was in the area,m I had tried to ascertain the whereabouts of this route, but drawn a blank. I must try this route sometime.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:03   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Rajesh, thanks for the comprehensive route guide. Long ago, when I was in the area,m I had tried to ascertain the whereabouts of this route, but drawn a blank. I must try this route sometime.
Yes you should...This route is awesome. I did it once on my Bullet, just to get the feel of a new route. Who cares about travelling an extra 100 km(I was doing Kannur-Bangalore). The only drawback is that very few vehicles/people ply this route, so if you have a breakdown or something, it can get tricky.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:28   #252
BHPian

Any update after the heavy rains in Wayanad

Nitin, Sarin and All,

Currently I am out of Bangalore. Any recent update about our roads after the heavy rains in Wayanad (Hope the rain is still on). I hv read that, there were many "Urul pottal" and landslides. Mysore - Bathery road is water logged and difficult to ride..is it? Also any landslides in Palchuram - Boy's town road?

I will be coming back on 30th of July, and like to proceed to Kannur on the same day, so please update if there is any thing

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 17th July 2009, 06:31   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Nitin, Sarin and All,

Currently I am out of Bangalore. Any recent update about our roads after the heavy rains in Wayanad (Hope the rain is still on). I hv read that, there were many "Urul pottal" and landslides. Mysore - Bathery road is water logged and difficult to ride..is it? Also any landslides in Palchuram - Boy's town road?

I will be coming back on 30th of July, and like to proceed to Kannur on the same day, so please update if there is any thing

Thanks
Rajesh
It is very bad out there, as per both visual and print media. There was a landslide at Thamarassery churam and many vehicles were stranded on the road and also other parts of wynad. I don't know the exact condition at Palcuram-boy's town road. Since you are planning to go on 30th, you still have some hope. By then the rain may subside.
Sarin
Old 17th July 2009, 12:28   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Since you are planning to go on 30th, you still have some hope. By then the rain may subside.
Sarin
Hope, it should not...!! I prefer rains when I am at native. Couldn't enjoy the monsoon in the last 6years. Lets do it this time..!!

I heard that, in my places almost every where is water now. Remembering old school days..!!!

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 19th July 2009, 07:30   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Hope, it should not...!! I prefer rains when I am at native. Couldn't enjoy the monsoon in the last 6years. Lets do it this time..!!

I heard that, in my places almost every where is water now. Remembering old school days..!!!

Thanks
Rajesh
As per yesterday's Mathrubhumi report, the buses have started plying between Bangalore and calicut and also to Kannur from Friday night onwards, which could mean that the situation is under control now. All the best for your trip. I hope Monsoon remains till you reach there.
Regards,
Sarin

Most Viewed