Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 09:52   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Widening and Straightening work of the stretch between Irritty~Kootupuzha and Tithimatti~Hunsur has started.

This is done as part of the Mysore~Telecherry Highway development program.

The acquisition of land for the same is almost complete.
Hope Koottupuzha Bridge also get attention in this project. This is a big contraint for the Volvo buses.

Nitin, hows the road condition in the Sriranagapatna Bypass to Madikeri road? If so bad, what is the best alternate?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 6th July 2010, 14:31   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Hope Koottupuzha Bridge also get attention in this project. This is a big contraint for the Volvo buses.

Nitin, hows the road condition in the Sriranagapatna Bypass to Madikeri road? If so bad, what is the best alternate?

Thanks
Rajesh
Rajesh,

The Srirangapattana Bypass to Yelwala is patched. Though you have few potholes in some of the curves.
Old 8th July 2010, 13:12   #513
BHPian

did the gonikoppa makutta route to kannur last week blr-kannur 6.5hrs driving time.
roads conditions as mentioned below

blore - srirangapatna - fantastic as usual
srirangapatna - yelawala - patched but driveable-use this route to save time
yelawala till tithimati turnoff - good roads
tithimati turnoff - gonikoppa - patched,not great,potholes-its a slow drive
gonikoppa - makutta - ok
makutta -koothupuzha - good - be careful not to go off the road,banks have slippery mud and will encounter fog during rains and winters
koothupuzha - iritty - ok
iritty - mattannur - ok
mattannur-chalode-kannur - good-lot of traffic during the day.

OT: stopped by at cafe coorg @ hunsur bypass. they have tried to copy CCD.the ambience is the same but the coffee and pastries were bad.didnt try the food there.toilets arent very clean.nevertheless an ok palce to stop by keeping in mind lack of similar facilities on this route post mysore.

Last edited by ad75 : 8th July 2010 at 13:16.
Old 18th July 2010, 22:15   #514

Bangalore Kudianmala

Did Bangalore Kudianmala last week via makutta road

Drove through the new makutta road at 8:30 in the night with light rain. One need to be very careful driving on that road at night especially if it rains. The road is very good but the sides are steep as mentioned in earlier posts. Please take extra care while driving this stretch.

We started at 4:00 PM from Bangalore and reached Kudianmala (318 KMs) at 10:00 pm with a 30 minutes break at Kamat restaurant at gonikoppa. That is a saving of 2 hours when compared with driving via Wayanad.

Regards.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:20   #515
BHPian

Makkutta Road GPS Track- Plz click on below link for knowing areas where you need to drive slow / fast / need caution etc.

Nokia Sports Tracker Beta

Had driven on this road last week, 20kms took 30mts.(till the checkpost where the road forks towards virajpet)
  • Plz be careful on all curves- Road edges are a nightmare.
  • Most road corners are not marked / barricaded with signages.
  • Only protection for now are some bags packed with sand.
  • Asphalting looks fine, not sure how long the freshly dumped mud will stay.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:39   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
The route :
Bangalore~Srirangapattana~Yelawala~Hunsur~Tithimat ti~Gonikoppa~Perumpady~Maakuta~Kootupuzha~Iritty~M attanur~Chalode~Kannur

This is 310 Kms from bangalore.

Can be covered in 4.5~5 Hrs
I took this route for my weekend trip to Kannur, took 6 hours from Kagdaspura(Bangalore) to Thaana (Kannur). Patched roads are a pain to drive at high speed as the road noise gets too high inside the cabin.
Most hated stretch comes after Maakutta, once you enter Kerala and it gets better again after Mattannur till Kannur.

My fav spot remains the same:
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2010, 15:18   #517
BHPian

Route info needed from Bangalore to Thalassery

Hi all,

I am planning to drive down to Mahe, (near Thalassery) in a weeks time. Earlier used to take the route through Calicut.
I am aware about the new route which has been renovated which connects Thalassery through Virajpet.
Can somebody help me out with directions please?

Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 16:53   #518
Senior - BHPian

^^
Check ad75's post above in the same page. that's the route you need to take. From Mattanur instead of kannur take Thalassery road.
Old 10th August 2010, 13:51   #519
Senior - BHPian

How is the Road Condition from Kannur to Coimbatore - anyone travelled very recently???

Have seen in todays local news paper (Mathrubhumi) that mahe/thalassery area is very badly damaged. Mahe bridge to Koduvalli, there is nothing on the road. one would be suspecting whether the road is National Highway??? Heavy traffic congestion for hours.
Also Thalassery Main road has got big big potholes which are filled with water.
Most of Thalassery roads are in very bad condition.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:53   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
How is the Road Condition from Kannur to Coimbatore - anyone travelled very recently???
What is the route from Kannur to Coimbatore? Via Mananthavady-Mysore-Coimbatore would be circuitious, right? Palakkad? Nilambur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Have seen in todays local news paper (Mathrubhumi) that mahe/thalassery area is very badly damaged. Mahe bridge to Koduvalli, there is nothing on the road. one would be suspecting whether the road is National Highway??? Heavy traffic congestion for hours.
Also Thalassery Main road has got big big potholes which are filled with water.
Most of Thalassery roads are in very bad condition.
Yes, see this post.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:26   #521
Senior - BHPian

How about Kannur-calicut - palakkad - coimbatore?
is this too long. I think roads all over kerala is in bad shape??
Old 17th August 2010, 22:24   #522
BHPian

guys - I'm off to kannur from bangalore this saturday. I'm going to take the route ad75 put out above on this page, but I'm unable to find tithimati turnoff and koothupuzha on my gps.

So just want to confirm whether the route I will be taking is correct -

Bangalore, mandya, shrirangapatna, belagula, elivala, bilikere,hunsur, gonikoppal, iritty, chavasseri, keezhallur, kannur.

and from a "which highways" perspective

mysore road, sh88, hunsur road, sh88a,sh88b, sh30

Is this correct? Am I missing any destinations in between or have I got the roads wrong?
Old 19th August 2010, 23:55   #523
BHPian

Anyone wants to help comment on the route to Kannur ? I leave Sat morning.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:20   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Bangalore, mandya, shrirangapatna, belagula, elivala, bilikere,hunsur, gonikoppal, iritty, chavasseri, keezhallur, kannur.

Is this correct?
Yes. Remember to take "left" at the "Y" intersection after Hunsur to Gonikuppa. Also take left and enter on the bridge at Irritty to go towards Mattannur and Kannur. At Mattannur, take the right arm of the "Y" section. You can call me if you want more information. Number sent by PM.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 20th August 2010, 13:45   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
guys - I'm off to kannur from bangalore this saturday. I'm going to take the route ad75 put out above on this page, but I'm unable to find tithimati turnoff and koothupuzha on my gps.

So just want to confirm whether the route I will be taking is correct -

and from a "which highways" perspective

mysore road, sh88, hunsur road, sh88a,sh88b, sh30

Is this correct? Am I missing any destinations in between or have I got the roads wrong?
tithimati turnoff comes after youcross hunsur you would reach a Y intersection take the left one (its narrower)which goes to gonikoppa/virajpet the right one goes to kushalnagar/madikeri.

after gonikoppa you will see another y intersection the left goes to makutta and the right goes to virajpet.you have to take left. this road leads to koothupuzha(thats where you enter kerala from).

are you using MMI ? My MMI map too did not have koothupuzha,makutta etc in it.it was basically clueless while we were in that area

Last edited by ad75 : 20th August 2010 at 13:53.

Most Viewed