Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 10:55   #826
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Ranjani, please see the above update by vista_qjd. You can take Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Virajpet - Perumbadi - Makkutta - Iritty - Mattanur - Mele Chovva - Thottada. I don't know if there is any short cut from Mattanur.

The route mentioned by "Blr-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Nagarhole Road to Kutta- Manathavady-Nedumpoli-Koothuparamba-Thottada " will be longer for you.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 1st February 2012, 17:59   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
(23rd January)
Virajpet - Hunsur via Gonikoppal is bad. Road is broken throughout - except for two KMs near Hunsur - and is not advisable. It will be better to take Hunsur - Piriyapatna - Siddapura - Ammathi - Virajpet - Iritty route which will save you the hassle of driving on Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet road. It is an additional 10 KMs and is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
(30th January)
Did a trip few days back and took the usual Gonikoppal-Virajpet bypass. I was hoping to see terrible roads, but was surprised. The roads all are patched up and there are no big potholes until you hit the Virajpet bypass. It is not smooth driving, but very manageable uneven road. Only the virajpet bypass stretch is completely broken and in a very bad shape. Took me about an 1Hr 45 Mins to travel from Coorg cafe until the end of the virajpet bypass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Ranjani, please see the above update by vista_qjd. You can take Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Virajpet - Perumbadi - Makkutta - Iritty - Mattanur - Mele Chovva - Thottada.
Slightly conflicting opinions here regarding which route to take from Hunsur to Virajpet. The 1 hr 45 mins for about 62 kms (the direct route) doesn't sound too encouraging either. I'm also travelling from Bangalore to Taliparamba on Friday morning and I'm inclined to go via Kushalnagar-Siddhapura to Virajpet. That'd be probably 25 kms extra, but then if it takes about the same time (1 hr 45 mins), I think it may be easier on the vehicle - isn't it ?
Old 1st February 2012, 19:10   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Slightly conflicting opinions here regarding which route to take from Hunsur to Virajpet. The 1 hr 45 mins for about 62 kms (the direct route) doesn't sound too encouraging either. I'm also travelling from Bangalore to Taliparamba on Friday morning and I'm inclined to go via Kushalnagar-Siddhapura to Virajpet. That'd be probably 25 kms extra, but then if it takes about the same time (1 hr 45 mins), I think it may be easier on the vehicle - isn't it ?
Kala, I have taken almost all alternate routes in my earlier trips. For me with the current road condition or the condition before the update of 'vista_qjd', I would prefer the Gonikoppal route. There will be potholes but still it is easily driveable during the day. One of my trip in last Nov, I took only 1hr-1.15hr time to reach Virajpet from Hunsur, but it was around 6:30am in the morning.

The Kushalnagar - Siddapura route is better only by a slight margin and this road has more twist and turns than the usual route. Only advantage with this route is you can enjoy the scenery of Coorg.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 6th February 2012, 21:48   #829
BHPian

Quote:
The average speed on indian roads is just around 40 to 50 kms per hour - this includes the bumps and the slowdows for traffic etc. I am no schumacher either . I drive sedate, especially on a road like Gonikoppa, virajpet with villages alongside.
The periyapatna road might seem tempting, but is devoid of traffic. So when you travel with your family, I would rather chose a driveable busy route. I mentioned the time, just so that you can pick whichever suits your need.
Do update us on the conditions once you complete the trip.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:57   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
The average speed on indian roads is just around 40 to 50 kms per hour - this includes the bumps and the slowdows for traffic etc. I am no schumacher either . I drive sedate, especially on a road like Gonikoppa, virajpet with villages alongside.
The periyapatna road might seem tempting, but is devoid of traffic. So when you travel with your family, I would rather chose a driveable busy route. I mentioned the time, just so that you can pick whichever suits your need.
Do update us on the conditions once you complete the trip.
I ended up not having to travel through the Kodagu route since last minute change of plans meant that I had to visit Vatakara on my onward journey. So the route I took on Friday morning was Bangalore-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-Kalpetta-Thamarassery-Balusseri-Quilandy-Vatakara-Taliparamba.

And on return also I travelled via Calicut (night halt there) and back to Bangalore on Sunday through Kalpetta-Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal.

NH17 is in very good condition between Calicut and Taliparamba (except for the terrible traffic on the Vatakara-Quilandy-Calicut stretch). Thamarassery ghats repair work also seems to be near completion (They haven't started allowing heavy vehicles to play through that stretch yet), and NH212 on the whole is in good condition except for a couple of short bad stretches in the Karnataka side of the forest, and generally rough roads between Kalpetta and Muthanga.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:20   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Thamarassery ghats repair work also seems to be near completion (They haven't started allowing heavy vehicles to play through that stretch yet), and NH212 on the whole is in good condition except for a couple of short bad stretches in the Karnataka side of the forest, and generally rough roads between Kalpetta and Muthanga.
Wayanad ghats will be opened tomorrow for all vehicles except the heavy containers/trucks that carry automobiles to showrooms in Kerala. All 'big' buses and lorries that carry vegetables and parcel items will be allowed.
Heard that they have not done the planned interlocking works on 3 of the hair-pin bends but the contractor has assured a life of minimum 3 years in good condition since they had completely redone the multiple layers of tarred surfaces in those hair-pin bends and some of the other sharp curves that were in a totally deteriorated state.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:44   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Wayanad ghats will be opened tomorrow for all vehicles except the heavy containers/trucks that carry automobiles to showrooms in Kerala. All 'big' buses and lorries that carry vegetables and parcel items will be allowed.
Heard that they have not done the planned interlocking works on 3 of the hair-pin bends but the contractor has assured a life of minimum 3 years in good condition since they had completely redone the multiple layers of tarred surfaces in those hair-pin bends and some of the other sharp curves that were in a totally deteriorated state.
Yes, all the hairpins that have been repaired seems to have only the regular tarmac surface - no interlock bricks or concreting. Let's see how long it lasts..
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:03   #833

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Ranjani, please see the above update by vista_qjd. You can take Hunsur - Gonikkoppal - Virajpet - Perumbadi - Makkutta - Iritty - Mattanur - Mele Chovva - Thottada. I don't know if there is any short cut from Mattanur.

The route mentioned by "Blr-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Nagarhole Road to Kutta- Manathavady-Nedumpoli-Koothuparamba-Thottada " will be longer for you.

Thanks
Rajesh

Thanks Rajesh. After all the scary stories on the various Coorg options, I decided to play safe and take the Hunsur-Kutta- Manathavady-Nedumpoil-Koothuparamba-Thottada option even though it was longer. Its about 40 kms longer, but excellent throughout. The Nagarhole road surface is a bit rough, to keep speeds in the forest down I guess, but otherwise, a great road, busy only after Mananthavady. Door to door, with 1 stop it took us 8 hours with a conservative driver who rarely hit 100kmph.

Ranjani
Ranjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 14:14   #834
Senior - BHPian

If one is willing to do extra 40 Kms, another alternative is to hit Madikeri and deviate to Virajpet and then onwards on excellent roads via Iritty - Mattanur to Kannur. I have noticed that roads in Kerala are excellent though narrow and curvy.
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:16   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjani View Post
Thanks Rajesh. After all the scary stories on the various Coorg options, I decided to play safe and take the Hunsur-Kutta- Manathavady-Nedumpoil-Koothuparamba-Thottada option even though it was longer. Its about 40 kms longer, but excellent throughout. The Nagarhole road surface is a bit rough, to keep speeds in the forest down I guess, but otherwise, a great road, busy only after Mananthavady. Door to door, with 1 stop it took us 8 hours with a conservative driver who rarely hit 100kmph.

Ranjani
I plan to drive to Thalassery via Virajpet as per Google maps. So are you suggesting, I take the Kutta-Mananthavady toue instead? If so, can you help me decide which route to take? An extra 40kms is not a problem, but since I'm driving alone, I would prefer a smoother road with NO PROBLEMS as against taking a risk. Have the roads in iritty been repaired? The last time I used that road was in September 2011, and thank god ! my car still has a bottom.

Appreciate your help.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:09   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I plan to drive to Thalassery via Virajpet as per Google maps. So are you suggesting, I take the Kutta-Mananthavady toue instead? If so, can you help me decide which route to take? An extra 40kms is not a problem, but since I'm driving alone, I would prefer a smoother road with NO PROBLEMS as against taking a risk. Have the roads in iritty been repaired? The last time I used that road was in September 2011, and thank god ! my car still has a bottom.

Appreciate your help.
I got sound advice from a veteran who does return day trips to Kannur from Blr and am glad I stuck to it. Can't comment on the Coorg routes from experience I'm afraid, I'm just going by what others are saying on this forum. I did Hunsur (make sure you don't take the Coorg fork at Coorg Coffee!) Kutta-Tholpetty-RTO check at Kattikulam-Mananthavady-Nedumpoil-Koothuparamba-Mambaram-Thazhechovva. Turn sharp left after crossing the railway crossing at Thazhechovva, don't head towards Kannur town. Now you're heading south on NH 66, Kannur-Thalassery road. I went on this road up to Edakkad (Muzhapillangad beach) and its just fine, so you should be fine for the final 10kms to Thalassery too, I guess.

At Mananthavady, ask for the DIRECT road to Kannur, stick to the Koothuparamba sign boards. From Mananthavady, I don't recollect touching Iritty at all, google maps shows a direct road from Mananthavady to Nedumpoil, I think we were on it. On the way back, we went to the Kottiyoor Shiva temple, so took the fork to Iritty when we reached Nedumpoil from Koothuparamba. The road touches Iritty and then goes through the Kottiyoor forest reserve to also reach Mananthavady. All roads in the ghat sections were good, slightly narrow in places that's all. Drive safe, have a good trip.
Ranjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:53   #837
BHPian

Quote:
I did Hunsur (make sure you don't take the Coorg fork at Coorg Coffee!) Kutta-Tholpetty-RTO check at Kattikulam-Mananthavady-Nedumpoil-Koothuparamba-Mambaram-Thazhechovva.
Why Mananthavady route? I drove from Bangalore to Payyanur twice recently, and the second was on 12 Jan 2012. I took the Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Gonikkoppal-Virajpet town-Iritty-Irikkur-Taliparamba route. We left Bangalore at 1.40 pm, and my brother drove the car up to Channapatna Kadambam restaurant. Left Kadambam at 3.30 pm, and I started driving (He is a more experienced in driving, any time). Touched Srirangapatna bypass to Hunsur at 4.40 and, stopped at Hunsur for diesel for 5 minutes. And then again stopped near the diversion to Gonikkoppal/Periyapatna for tea-break. The remaining timing was as follows:

Hunsur tea-point departure: 6.00 pm
Gonikkoppal: 6.55 pm
Virajpet KSRTC: 7.20 pm
Kootupuzha interstate bridge: 8.15 pm
Iritty bridge point: 8.40 pm
Irikkur: 9.00 pm
Taliparamba Chiravakku: 9.55 pm
Payyanur: 10.20 pm.

Some patchwork has been done in the Hunsur-Gonikkuppa-Virajpetta route, and one can drive without much frustration, even in the late evening. Unless one wants to traverse in other route taking time...

That interstate bridge is really in a bad condition, of course. If I can drive on this route, anyone can drive with greater efficiency here.

Vipin Kumar

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 23rd February 2012 at 15:56. Reason: spelling problem
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:02   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Why Mananthavady route?

I took the Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Gonikkoppal-Virajpet town-Iritty-Irikkur-Taliparamba route.
+1

The Virajpet route to Kannur is in very good condition. Excellent roads especially once you cross Karnataka check post and get into Kerala.

I did Kannur last weekend and the route I took was Bangalore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet - Iritty - Mattanur -Kannur.

Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet is bad but definitely driveable during the day. I left Bangalore at 04:15 AM and I was in Kannur town by 12 noon. That includes 45 minutes stoppage for breaks.
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 08:09   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
+1
Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet is bad but definitely driveable during the day. I left Bangalore at 04:15 AM and I was in Kannur town by 12 noon. That includes 45 minutes stoppage for breaks.
Bad as in, potholes? or rough roads? Has it been repaired after the monsoons by any chance? I plan on doing the same timing... At least, I have two route in mind now. Thanks mate.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:35   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turn sharp left after crossing the railway crossing at Thazhechovva, don't head towards Kannur town. Now you're heading south on NH 66, Kannur-Thalassery road. I went on this road up to Edakkad (Muzhapillangad beach) and its just fine, so you should be fine for the final 10kms to Thalassery too, I guess.

At Mananthavady, ask for the DIRECT road to Kannur, stick to the Koothuparamba sign boards. From Mananthavady, I don't recollect touching Iritty at all, google maps shows a direct road from Mananthavady to Nedumpoil, I think we were on it. On the way back, we went to the Kottiyoor Shiva temple, so took the fork to Iritty when we reached Nedumpoil from Koothuparamba. The road touches Iritty and then goes through the Kottiyoor forest reserve to also reach Mananthavady. All roads in the ghat sections were good, slightly narrow in places that's all. Drive safe, have a good trip.
Ranjani, You actually don't need to come all the way till Thazhe chovva if you intend to go directly towards Telicherry from Mananthavady. There is a direct route from Koothuparamba towards Telicherry, via Kottayampoil, Kadirur. You can find this diversion towards left around 100 metres after the Koothuparamba bus stand while coming from Mananthavady. There are prominent sign boards. This particular road has now been taken up for a major renovation. The work has not been started yet.
From Koothuparamba/Nedumpoil, there are two routes to Mananthavady, one is via Thavinjhal-Perya ghat, which you took while coming down. The other route is via Kottiyoor-Ambayathodu-Palchuram-Boys town which I presume you would have taken while going up towards Mananthavady. Boys town route demands shorter but much steeper ghat driving compared to Perya route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks