Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 11:26   #91

State of the road inside Kabini??

Hi Guys:

Based on my conversation with a PWD employee in Dec, 07, the 30 km stretch inside Kabini forest was undergoing re-laying and should have been completed by April-08. Has anyone traveled this stretch lately to see how far into the 30 kms they have actually completed.

I have great hopes for this road, because once this is finished, we should be able to do Bangalore-Kannur in about 6 hours flat...for a relatively fast driver of course.

I have been trying to get in touch with the PWD dept, but they keep shunting me off to some other person...so far, no luck. So please anyone who has traveled inside Kabini (HD Kote to Bavali stretch), please update the forum.

cheers

PS: Based on my research, the Virajpet-Iritty road has no prospect of being repaired anytime in the next few years....political wrangling, court cases etc.
Old 15th June 2008, 08:05   #92
BHPian

Few months back I saw in newpaper that the road construction of HD Kote - Manathawadi via Bavali is halted due to some court order. No further details on this. But sure that this road is not motorable now. May be a good place for off roading with SUVs
Old 28th June 2008, 12:48   #93
BHPian

Any updates on the Virajpet-Makuta-Kutupuzha streach, I had gone few months back the road was horrible or you can take it as no road at all. But they were doing the road work from the checkpost after virajpet towards makuta, when inquired about, was told that a distance of 4 km from the check post is only sanctioned for the work.

Someone has any info about the remaining 20 kms till makuta ?
Old 30th June 2008, 13:44   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Any updates on the Virajpet-Makuta-Kutupuzha streach, I had gone few months back the road was horrible or you can take it as no road at all. But they were doing the road work from the checkpost after virajpet towards makuta, when inquired about, was told that a distance of 4 km from the check post is only sanctioned for the work.

Someone has any info about the remaining 20 kms till makuta ?
The road is almost not exist now. Most of the tourist buses also changed the route to kannur via Sulthan batteri-Manathawadi.

The 4Km stretch is already done in May'07. Beyond that no road now. I hv travelled thru this route around 4 months back and took almost 3hrs to cover 15KM down the hill
Old 26th September 2008, 11:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Any recent updates on this route? Will there be any ghat section until Manthavady?
Old 26th September 2008, 15:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Any recent updates on this route? Will there be any ghat section until Manthavady?
No ghat until Mananthavady from Mysore side.
The road is good except for around 10 kms in Mysore-Nanjangud stretch.

Pics attached from my trip to kannur last weekend, for each Stretch of the road from Muthanga~Bathery~Panamaram~ Mananthavady
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0019.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0022.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0024.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0025.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0026.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0028.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0033.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0035.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-cimg0036.jpg  

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 26th September 2008 at 15:26.
Old 26th September 2008, 17:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

Guys the update on the virajpet- makutta route is no work is being taken up on these roads and the road has been like blocked. There has been many complaints and supposedly the pwd from coorg are supposed to start work once the rains stop. Will keep you updated
Old 30th September 2008, 11:31   #98
BHPian

Saw in today's paper that, both Kerala and Kartanataka PWD ministers had a meeting to discuss the border roads development. As per the news, the construction of the road via makkutta will be starting by October'08 end. Kerala also will spend Rs.25Crore on the development in the kerala side. The discussion also included for the mysore-kabani-manathawadi road, Panathur-Madikeri road etc..

The Virajpetta-Makkutta road is no more and the condition is like this for years. All the regular vehicle commuted via this road are withdrawn.Not expectating anything from Karanataka govt to develop this road in near future. The tender to develop this road is cnacelled 3 or more times till now. Looks we all need to buy some military truck to commute kannur in near future.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 31st October 2008, 13:14   #99
BHPian

I just came back from my trip to wayanad, and I have seen KA S.R.T.C bus from mananthawady to mysore via HD Kote. Roads in wayanad are in good condition.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Any more updates on the roads from people who "recently" travelled or belong from nearby places. The routes I could find was:

1) Srirangapattana - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Mananthawadi - Kottiyur - Peravur - Irrity (Will not touch the town) - Mattanur - Kannur. : Recommended by Rajesh

2) Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal(Coorg)- Makutta(state border)- Iritty - Kannur : Bad 17km after Virajpet till Iritty, but buses and trucks are still using it.

3)Bangalore - Mysore - HD Kote - Nagarhole - Mananthavady(Kerala) - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Kuthuparamba - Kannur : BAD condition

4)Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - SultanBattery - Mananthavady - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Kuthuparamba - Kannur : BAD Condition

5)Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpatty - Kattikulam - Manandvady -Nedupoyil - Kuthuparamba - Kannur (356 km only) : Road near Kutta was repaired(Aug 2008) , current condition unknown

Since there are many possible routes, which are a totally "NO NO" and which can be considered as travelable without adding to the extra miles(minimal)/ time.

Last edited by dadu : 14th November 2008 at 19:42.
Old 14th November 2008, 23:23   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Any more updates on the roads from people who "recently" travelled or belong from nearby places. The routes I could find was:

1) Srirangapattana - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Mananthawadi - Kottiyur - Peravur - Irrity (Will not touch the town) - Mattanur - Kannur. : Recommended by Rajesh

2) Mysore - Hunsur - Gonikoppal(Coorg)- Makutta(state border)- Iritty - Kannur : Bad 17km after Virajpet till Iritty, but buses and trucks are still using it.

3)Bangalore - Mysore - HD Kote - Nagarhole - Mananthavady(Kerala) - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Kuthuparamba - Kannur : BAD condition

4)Bangalore - Mysore - Gundlupet - SultanBattery - Mananthavady - Periya - Nedumpoyil - Kuthuparamba - Kannur : BAD Condition

5)Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpatty - Kattikulam - Manandvady -Nedupoyil - Kuthuparamba - Kannur (356 km only) : Road near Kutta was repaired(Aug 2008) , current condition unknown

Since there are many possible routes, which are a totally "NO NO" and which can be considered as travelable without adding to the extra miles(minimal)/ time.
My comments on the routes in the order
1.Can try, Should cross the forest section before 5 pm, The road in the forest is little bad.
2.NO NO NO NO NO (Pic attached of one of the two buses still doing service on this route. Note the chassis and the footstep)
3.NO(the road from HD Kote to Kerala border is bad) Should cross the forest section before 5 pm
4.Recomended, The condition is also good as on 9th Nov 2008
5.Can try, Should cross the forest section before 5 pm

One more Update: The tender which was supposed to opened and finalised last month for the Virajpet Makuta road repair has been cancelled for the 4th time
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-image036.jpg  

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-image023.jpg  

Old 15th November 2008, 00:26   #102
BHPian

In options 3 & 4, only the Nedumpoyil - Koothuparamba - Kannur section is having issues. Better take turn to kottiyur before Perya after Manathawadi, though roads are bumpy a bit, you can reach Kannur well within 2hrs from Manathawadi.

Manathawadi - Kottiyur road is steeply inclined with sharp turns and very scenic, specially in morning time

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 16th November 2008, 17:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback on this route,

Name:  TechR_02 16.55.gif
Views: 8179
Size:  52.4 KB

Uses SH17D from Mysore, then SH21/17D in Kerala till it touches NH17. From the calculations it is adding a mere 40km Vs the shortest Makuta-Virajpet (Non-travelable) route.

Any feedback ??

(Click link for detailed view/ places it will cross)
Old 17th November 2008, 09:42   #104
BHPian

The stretch between HD kote and kerala border is extremely bad, is what I could gather from on of my colleague who had driven to mananthawadi, almost a month back. Also, from this thread itself I could understand the same. Pleas read back wards on this thread for details. Someone was strongly suggesting to take Nagarhole-Kutta-MVady route, insread of the direct HD kote-Mvady.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dadu, the route which you have put is the one via Antharasanthe, Kabini, Bavali. This route is pretty much non-existent from the check post upto the Kerala / Karnataka border.

The two options which you would find the best are

1. Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady and then onwards
2. Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty - Mananthavady and then onwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks