Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 23:16   #1261

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
A cousin told me that the road from Kasargod -- Sulia to Madikeri is superb and would have probably taken me lesser time.
During my onward drive to my hometown in Kasaragod, I took the Sullia route. Roads are in-existent in some portions between Sampaje and Sullia.

On my return journey, I drove through Bhagamandala and I was very happy that I chose to do so.

In the current situation, the Panathur - Bhagamandala - Madikeri route is a lot lot better than the Sullia - Madikeri route.

I will never take the Sullia route until the roads are repaired.
Old 31st December 2013, 00:38   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Please see the note from RajeshK (previous page). And the route mentioned by you with Google map(Via Siddapura) is not actually marked properly. It is showing Periyapatana to Gonikoppal instead of Siddapura.
Thanks, my bad - I meant this route - which i will now take.
Old 6th January 2014, 14:45   #1263
BHPian

Drove Kannur-Mandya, total 230 kms / 4.3hrs non Stop, of which 85% good roads. The rest is easily doable at speeds of 40-50kmph. GPS track attached for reference-

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...sjdih59uh054kk
Old 30th January 2014, 18:29   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Are private buses taking Virajpet-Gonikoppa route now? What is the status of road work? Any updates?
Old 31st January 2014, 09:34   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Are private buses taking Virajpet-Gonikoppa route now? What is the status of road work? Any updates?
Last when I came back to Bangalore by bus (Kalpaka travels) on the 17th of January, came via Virajpet town-Siddapura-Periyapatna. Heard that the road work has been stalled.
Had slept so well on the onward journey to Kannur that I have no clue which route they had taken.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 08:20   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Kannur after the gap of 10 months. Is Periyapatna-Siddapura route still the better option?(BLR-Srirangapatna-Yelwala-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet-Kannur)
Old 20th February 2014, 09:21   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving to Kannur after the gap of 10 months. Is Periyapatna-Siddapura route still the better option?(BLR-Srirangapatna-Yelwala-Periyapatna-Siddapura-Virajpet-Kannur)
It is still the better option. conditions remain the same. The convoy on the way to Kannur for the 10th Anniversary drive meet had taken the same route. May be you could avoid srirangapatna-KRS route and come via Mysore ORR which is in decent condition.
Old 20th February 2014, 10:20   #1268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
It is still the better option. conditions remain the same. The convoy on the way to Kannur for the 10th Anniversary drive meet had taken the same route. May be you could avoid srirangapatna-KRS route and come via Mysore ORR which is in decent condition.
Only thing to add:

While driving on ORR please keep speed control. The road abruptly ends at one place and one needs to change lane and face on-coming traffic. Just hope it does not come to panic braking at this point.
Old 20th February 2014, 10:28   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
My cousin has done a Taliparamba-Bangalore-Taliparamba last weekend. Even though I have told him not to take the Gonikoppal route, by mistake(Gmaps was the culprit), he took the Virajpet-Gonikoppal-Hunsur route and it's still in pathetic condition. No work is seen to be happening there.
For the return, Kushalnagar-Siddapura-Virajpet was taken and he gave me updates it's far better than the direct route. There is bad patch for around 5 kms, that's all.

Quote:
May be you could avoid srirangapatna-KRS route and come via Mysore ORR which is in decent condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
While driving on ORR please keep speed control. The road abruptly ends at one place and one needs to change lane and face on-coming traffic. Just hope it does not come to panic braking at this point.
Do we need to call it as ORR (Outer Ring road), as Mysore is not seen to have another ring road

Last edited by denver85 : 20th February 2014 at 10:30.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:57   #1270
shimshumara

Srirangapatna - Belagola (KRS) - Ilavala (SH 88/117) is OK to drive, except for 100+m off the MPM junction. Last SAT, 23 cars drove the same route. Its a small patch worth taking to avoid an additional distance of around 30+ kms (If you take Mysore Ring Road)

The stretch from Periyapatna - Maldare - Siddapura also could be done easily with bit careful driving for 8-10 kms (stretch from Mutthur to Maldare) to avoid uneven roads.
I drove here in SEP and again last Saturday. This is a very picturesque Road with almost Zero traffic except for vegetable carrying LCVs.

I drove i10 on these roads.

Old 20th February 2014, 12:11   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
Srirangapatna - Belagola (KRS) - Ilavala (SH 88/117) is OK to drive, except for 100+m off the MPM junction. Last SAT, 23 cars drove the same route. Its a small patch worth taking to avoid an additional distance of around 30+ kms (If you take Mysore Ring Road)
It is only around 6 kms extra if you opt for Mysore ring road (right turn from Columbia Asia hospital junction), not 30+ kms. One advantage is that most of the road is 6 laned where you can maintain very good speeds.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 20th February 2014 at 12:13.
Old 20th February 2014, 12:38   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
It is only around 6 kms extra if you opt for Mysore ring road (right turn from Columbia Asia hospital junction), not 30+ kms. One advantage is that most of the road is 6 laned where you can maintain very good speeds.
Sandeep, Its true, its just 6-8km more not 30+. But I always prefer to take the KRS road during day time as the route is very scenic. You can see good paddy and sugarcane fields and its cool for the eyes where as the Mysore Ring Road is very hot and more traffic compared to this.

Does any one know the current status of road work between Gonikoppal and Virajpet..? They were doing this in full swing during last Dec'13.

I assume there is no progress in Hunsur - Anechowkur road work.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 12:44   #1273
shimshumara

Heard from reliable sources: Regarding the Gonikoppal - Virajpet stretch, there is some kind of a clash between KA Forest Dept and KA PWD (Roads & Bridges) Dept. FD does not want that Road to be done as they claim this a corridor for Tiger / Elephants. They have not given approval and in no mood to do so.

We have the same problem with the stretch between Dandeli and Kaiga (towards Karwar), where Dandeli Range Office says thats meant for Panthers and other endangered species. That stretch is even pathetic and people take a detour via Ulavi.

My personal take is to be with FD on these things in the best interest of our wild life.

Looks like FD is going to get what they want, as they also got 9pm-6am ban on usage of Muthanga Stretch and 6pm-6am ban on Bandipur Stretch. Nagarahole -Kutta strech has been banned from 6pm-6am since a long time.

Old 20th February 2014, 13:27   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Had driven to Thalassery couple of weeks back and the recommended route is Blr - Mysore ORR - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet. Periyapatna - Siddapura road is in a bad shape (12kms of bad to non-existent roads from Periyapatna and 5kms towards the end of this stretch). But a bit of patience should easily take you through.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:32   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
Heard from reliable sources: Regarding the Gonikoppal - Virajpet stretch, there is some kind of a clash between KA Forest Dept and KA PWD (Roads & Bridges) Dept. FD does not want that Road to be done as they claim this a corridor for Tiger / Elephants. They have not given approval and in no mood to do so.
Are you sure you are referring to Virajpet-Gonikoppal stretch and not the Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch? As far as I have seen, the area around the main road is inhabited and has plenty of coffee plantations/houses. How come this area be an elephant/Tiger corridor?
The Hunsur-Gonikoppal stretch does pass through the Rajiv Gandhi wildlife sanctuary though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks