Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 10:45   #1291
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

One of my friends (who drives to Kottiyoor regularly) just informed that Mysore-HD kote-Mananthavady road is in good condition. The diversion through village roads (in between) is also in good shape it seems. Except for some potholes here and there, roads are in good condition it seems. Need to check this out.
sivadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 14:05   #1292
BHPian

Just back after 950 KM drive Bangalore <>Nileshwar<>Bangalore. Overall the road condition is excellent except for few patches on Kukke <> Jalsoor route.

I preferred the Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Jalsoor - Kanghad route, these are excellent drivable roads with very few bad patches . From Kukke to Jalsoor, road work is in progress in patches but noting to worry only need to slow down here are and there, and you can maintain steady speed on this stretch. The further route from Kukke to Cherkala is good condition and excellent to drive except for the reason its winding route throughout till Cherkala. Covered last stretch, Cherkala to Nileshwar via Perriya, Kasargod - Nileshwar along the coast line is in very bad state with highway restructuring work is still in progress, strictly not to take this route. My feeling is its going to take another 6 - 8 months for the work on this route to complete.

On return took a little different route as wanted to avoid the winding Gundya - Kukke - Jalsoor stretch, drove towards Kalladaka from Nileshwar and joined Bangalore - Mangalore Hwy, unfortunately this was not much better than earlier one. Once you hit Mangalore - Bangalore highway, it's just breeze till bangalore.

thefuturist, vino and zoombiee - Thanks once again for all the suggestions, options and clarification.

Router :

Onward : Bangalore - Hasan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Kukke - Jalsur - Cherkala - Kanhangad - Nileshwar

Return : Nileshwar - Kanhangad - Cherkala - Kalladaka - Sakleshpur - Hasan - Bangalore

Cheers !!!

Last edited by Milestone : 1st April 2014 at 14:07. Reason: route update
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:06   #1293
BHPian

I am planning to travel to Kannur. Did any one travel via Gonikoppal to Viarajpet recently and how is the condition of this road?. If it is still in bad shape, Periyapatna-Siddapura road is the only better option?
Old 3rd April 2014, 00:17   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Just back after 950 KM drive Bangalore <>Nileshwar<>Bangalore. Overall the road condition is excellent except for few patches on Kukke <> Jalsoor route.
Good to know that the route info was of help. What were the driving times for your journey either way? Bangalore to Nileshwar and back would be around 800 km (depending on where you live in Bangalore) via the Channarayapatna (NH48) - Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Kanhangad route. Was the driving time or the fuel economy good enough to justify the extra kms?
Old 3rd April 2014, 00:58   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
I am planning to travel to Kannur. Did any one travel via Gonikoppal to Viarajpet recently and how is the condition of this road?. If it is still in bad shape, Periyapatna-Siddapura road is the only better option?
Avoid the Gonikoppal - Virajpet stretch as the road conditions apparently are still pretty poor. My cousin took that route during our Kannur trip last month and he did not have the heart to trace it back. Go by the other suggestions on this thread or take this route which I took and you can expect smooth roads all throughout except for a 2 km broken stretch near Channatayapatna.
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:17   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturist View Post
Avoid the Gonikoppal - Virajpet stretch as the road conditions apparently are still pretty poor. My cousin took that route during our Kannur trip last month and he did not have the heart to trace it back. Go by the other suggestions on this thread or take this route which I took and you can expect smooth roads all throughout except for a 2 km broken stretch near Channatayapatna.

Thanks for the information. Is it really worth the route you mentioned, considering 60+ kms extra drive(as per google maps) compared to the Periyapatna-Siddapura road?. Is the travel time comparatively less? Just let me know your thoughts and my starting point is electronic city with a 2 year baby on board.
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:32   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Is it really worth the route you mentioned, considering 60+ kms extra drive(as per google maps) compared to the Periyapatna-Siddapura road?. Is the travel time comparatively less? Just let me know your thoughts and my starting point is electronic city with a 2 year baby on board.
Do you want to try Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady route? As I mentioned before, my friend had mentioned that this one is is in good shape. I will be trying the same route mostly next week (starting point would be electronic city too).
Old 4th April 2014, 00:45   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Have not done that route myself but some of the posts on this forum do point to a 12 km broken stretch between Periyapatna and Siddapura. On the other hand, NH48 to Channarayapatna is pure pleasure to drive on, and the rest of the route through Shanivarasanthe, Somwarpet, Madikeri and Virajpet was not too bad either with sparse traffic and reasonably smooth surfaces (albeit with a few twisties) contributing to a stress-free drive.

Considering the fact that you stay in Electronic City, taking Mysore Road would definitely save you those extra 60 kms. Whether it would save you time or not is another question, given the unpredictable traffic on Mysore Road and the road conditions after Periyapatna. Do take my suggested route if you don't mind those extra miles - it would be easy on your kid as well with a logical break for lunch at Madikeri.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:17   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Do you want to try Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady route? As I mentioned before, my friend had mentioned that this one is is in good shape. I will be trying the same route mostly next week (starting point would be electronic city too).
When are you planning to travel?. Does this route has night time travel restriction. Is it 6PM on wards or 9PM?
Old 4th April 2014, 10:31   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefuturist View Post
Have not done that route myself but some of the posts on this forum do point to a 12 km broken stretch between Periyapatna and Siddapura.
===================
Do take my suggested route if you don't mind those extra miles - it would be easy on your kid as well with a logical break for lunch at Madikeri.
Thanks again for the details. Let me think about it and will take either the route you mentioned or the Manathavady route.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:52   #1301
BHPian

As per the post no 1290 of this thread the road through Hunsur -Gonikkoppa is in much better shape than earlier. There is no need to take a 60 Km extra drive. I am taking this route next weekend.
Old 4th April 2014, 12:56   #1302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
As per the post no 1290 of this thread the road through Hunsur -Gonikkoppa is in much better shape than earlier. There is no need to take a 60 Km extra drive. I am taking this route next weekend.
Where is the 60km detour coming from?

Husnur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet is 60km; while Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Virajpet is about 70km.
Old 4th April 2014, 13:13   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Husnur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet is 60km; while Hunsur-Periyapatna-Siddapur-Virajpet is about 70km.

I was referring to the post number 1296 ,where Mr.Anoop have to go through NH4 to east Bangalore.This would add approximately 60 Km (as per his own assumption). In another post of this thread ,its said Periyapatna Sidhapur road have bad patches in 12 Kms stretch .So,my reference was to keep to keep to the shortest ,since a small kid is also there.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:35   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
When are you planning to travel?. Does this route has night time travel restriction. Is it 6PM on wards or 9PM?
There is restriction from 6pm to 6am. But since we are forced to take a detour at Udboor checkpost (Village roads for some 8 Kms), not sure if this restriction is still applicable. I have confirmed with my friend again, village roads are in good shape (partially mud road, but not many potholes). I will be mostly going by next weekend (could be a day early also).
Old 4th April 2014, 14:53   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I think the question of additional 60Kms comes only if you are taking the Madikeri or Suntikkoppa route. Here are the distances as per Google

Hunsur - Anechowkur - Gonikkopal - Perumbadi -> 63.2km (direct)
Hunsur - Periyapatna - Anechowkur - Gonikkopal - Perumbadi -> 70.1km

Hunsur - Periyapatna - Virajpet - Perumbadi - >75.4km
Hunsur - Periyapatna - Kushalanagar - Siddapura - Virajpet - Perumbadi - > 94.9km
Hunsur - Periyapatna - Suntikoppa - Siddapura - Virajpet - Perumbadi - > 110km

If you are taking the Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet route, its just around 12Km more. With the present road condition, this is ok I belief.

One of my friend traveled in the direct route yesterday. As per him the Road work beyond Gonikoppa till the turn off to Perumpadi is not yet completed. Still you can drive without much issues.

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed