Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2008, 16:01   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thankx a ton Rajesh am taking a print out of this

Thanks Sanjay, have you tried this route?

@Rajesh: any inputs on this from you?
My bad - I did not notice the earlier posts by Nitin and Rajesh about this route being not so good. The route suggested by Rajesh would be the best.
Old 31st December 2008, 18:08   #122
Team-BHP Support

One more from me

Can someone give details for Mananthavady - Nedumpoyil - Peravoor please, since its 15 kms shorter.
Old 1st January 2009, 17:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
In the second route, you will save 10-15KMs.
My bad... The second route is longer in fact. Kottiyur route is shorter. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 1st January 2009, 20:31   #124
Team-BHP Support

Thanks again copied to phone, I'll try to make a log if wifee is upto it . Leaving tomorrow noon.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:59   #125
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton to Rajeshk for the route, the return trip was a bliss, i also realized that i had previously taken the route via kottiur

Onward route i had the misfortune of listening to check post guard and an uncle who dissuaded me from taking the RT to Kottiyur, which landed me in the regular route to Kannur and it was craters all the way. Car had to endure a good deal of beating :P

For the time being best route is Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady - Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur
Old 5th January 2009, 12:22   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Onward route i had the misfortune of listening to check post guard and an uncle who dissuaded me from taking the RT to Kottiyur, which landed me in the regular route to Kannur and it was craters all the way. Car had to endure a good deal of beating :P

For the time being best route is Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady - Kottiyoor-Peravoor-Irritty-Mattanur-Kannur
@Jaggu, How was the steep uphill after Kottiyur towards Manathawadi? Was there any issues? I remember the route was too narrow earlier and many used to avoid this route due to fear of giving way for downward vehicles. Anyway, its a very scenic place specially in a monsoon morning time
Old 5th January 2009, 12:51   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Jaggu, How was the steep uphill after Kottiyur towards Manathawadi? Was there any issues? I remember the route was too narrow earlier and many used to avoid this route due to fear of giving way for downward vehicles. Anyway, its a very scenic place specially in a monsoon morning time
Think this is one of the reason why the guard suggested against this route, the surface is good with one or two bad patches where some work is happening, to fix the land slide issues. Yes its scenic but one has to be really careful while negotiating the stretch, since one small mistake can send you down the sides. First time travelers on this route should avoid it during night and a strict NO to speeding down or uphill. I had taken this route a year back, so was familiar on what lay ahead.

This is one hell of a climb, you will feel that the car is gonna flip when you climb Good part is there will be minimal or NO traffic in this route.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:45   #128
BHPian

Just returned from kannur today. Had been there for 10 days.

Update: There is some work happening on Perumpaady ~ Maakuta road.

Last edited by nithinnarayanan : 5th January 2009 at 16:48.
Old 6th January 2009, 08:20   #129
BHPian

Hi Nitin, Did u came via Makkutta...? In ur Indica...?

As per the news -> The Hindu : Karnataka News : Makutta road in bad shape the global tenders were invited to take up development of the road. Technical bid would be opened on January 8. The commercial bid of the successful technical bidders would be opened on January 15. God only knows whether the road will be laid or not..!!
Old 6th January 2009, 12:46   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nitin, Did u came via Makkutta...? In ur Indica...?

As per the news -> The Hindu : Karnataka News : Makutta road in bad shape the global tenders were invited to take up development of the road. Technical bid would be opened on January 8. The commercial bid of the successful technical bidders would be opened on January 15. God only knows whether the road will be laid or not..!!
No I came via Kotiyoor~ Mananthavady~ Bathery

My cousin had been to Virajpet from Mattanur via this route in the bus (TNRTS) last week. He had given me the info as there were few trucks and two JCBs working for widening the curves.
Old 12th January 2009, 09:19   #131
BHPian

Hi, I need to go to a place called Karthikapuram (which, I am told , is near Alacode) in Kannur. Can anyone suggest the best route to reach this place from bangalore ?
Old 12th January 2009, 09:25   #132

bangalore - mangalore best road?

hey all....which is the best road from bangalore to mangalore?
heard there's an other road to mangalore via mysore? any info on this road guys?
Old 12th January 2009, 10:11   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi, I need to go to a place called Karthikapuram (which, I am told , is near Alacode) in Kannur. Can anyone suggest the best route to reach this place from bangalore ?
Joe, You can take Manathawadi - Kottiyur - Irrity - Irikkur - Srikantapuram - Alakode route. If you require more info, pls call me. PMed my number to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
hey all....which is the best road from bangalore to mangalore?
heard there's an other road to mangalore via mysore? any info on this road guys?
@skyliner34, follow this link to know all the info on m'lore route
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...road-info.html

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th January 2009, 10:43   #134

Virapet Kannur Route

Any Update on this route...I heard long back that this route will be getting repaired!! Can anyone give some update?
Old 12th January 2009, 10:48   #135
BANNED

1. Trace this thread to reach Iritty. (multiple options - Mananthavady - Kottiyoor, or directly via Kootupuzha This is horrid, last time I heard, but follow others' advice here).

2. From Iritty, take the State Highway to Taliparamba. This road is excellent, and you need not go to Kannur / NH 17 to reach Alakode. OTOH, if you reach Kannur, go ahead to via NH 17 to Taliparamba and go to Alacode from here.

If you need to stay over in Iritty there is a place OFF the main road - in the same building as houses the Treasury. You will need to ask for directions. An all male group can sty at the 2 Bar attached lodges there. (And there is a 4th lodge near the Iritty bridge. I would not recommend other lodges in Iritty for human beings.

But you still need a better location. Can't recall such a name during the short period I was in Iritty.

Most Viewed