Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 14:24   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
What route is suitable for a trip to Kannur now? If there are no routes yet with great roads thoughout, I can postpone my trip as well.
The usual route: (Note: The Maakutta ghat is open only for 4 wheelers)

Bangalore - Mysore (bypass) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet (bypass) - Maakutta - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur

Roads are good through out except a few (2-3kms) of bad patches around Gonikoppal. But absolutely nothing as such to postpone a trip.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:36   #1997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The usual route: (Note: The Maakutta ghat is open only for 4 wheelers)

Bangalore - Mysore (bypass) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet (bypass) - Maakutta - Iritty - Mattanur - Kannur

Roads are good through out except a few (2-3kms) of bad patches around Gonikoppal. But absolutely nothing as such to postpone a trip.
Thanks balenoed! What's the reason Maakutta is open only for 4 wheelers?
Is that the Kannur-Mattannur road (SH91) that goes through the Keriti Reserve forest?
Old 26th September 2019, 14:56   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
What's the reason Maakutta is open only for 4 wheelers?
Is that the Kannur-Mattannur road (SH91) that goes through the Keriti Reserve forest?
During the rains in the last season, there were a few landslides in the ghat section and half of the road has caved down at few places. So only half the lane exists which can take only 4 wheelers at the moment. Heavy vehicles are diverted at Gonikoppal to a different route which is quite longer than this.

Yes, it is SH91.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 26th September 2019 at 14:57.
Old 20th October 2019, 14:05   #1999
Senior - BHPian

A vlog made from my dash-cam videos. Drove from Kannur till Gonikoppal. This was the first time I had taken this road. Started from the hotel at around 0945Hrs and crossed the forest stretch at around 1210Hrs. It was a leisurely drive, and I also took multiple breaks in the Makutta forest road. This was a solo trip, made just for the fun of it .

At Iritti and Kootupuzha-Makutta, we also have to cross two really narrow bridges. I made this road trip mainly to relive some of the stories which I heard as a school boy. In 1990s, towns like Iritti, Mananthavady, Pulpalli etc were considered to be really far flung villages from the main parts of Kerala. For a mid-lander in Kerala the only "ghat" we had to cross was the now infamous Kuthiran ghat, and if we had to cross the state borders the one at Walayar. It was with awe we used to listen to the stories of bus & truck drivers who used to talk about the more "challenging" roads at Thamarasseri, Muthanga, Bavali, Tholpetti, Makutta etc.

Last edited by sachinpk : 20th October 2019 at 14:06. Reason: Formating.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 18:40   #2000
BHPian

I would like to have an update on the road conditions between Srirangapatna-Elivala and Hunsur-Vallithode if anyone of you made a trip recently. A Bangalore-Payyanur drive is due on Wednesday. Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd December 2019, 19:08   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Kumar View Post
I would like to have an update on the road conditions between Srirangapatna-Elivala and Hunsur-Vallithode if anyone of you made a trip recently. A Bangalore-Payyanur drive is due on Wednesday. Thanks in advance!
Roads throughout are in good condition. But avoid the Srirangapatna - KRS - Yelawal road. Instead go further ahead on Mysore road and take the outer ring road via Columbia Asia. Some part of KRS road is under repair and not good.

Rest everything is fine - Vallithode - Payyavoor - Sreekantapuram - Thaliparamba.

Also another update, the Makkuta ghat road is now open for heavy vehicles as well.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 22nd December 2019 at 19:10.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:29   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also another update, the Makkuta ghat road is now open for heavy vehicles as well.
Only for Buses, I heard. Not for Trucks.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:15   #2003
BHPian

Hi all,

I will be taking blr to kannur on below road as suggested

Kid and senior citizen accompanying

anything i should keep in mind ? Please suggest.
Leaving blr on Jan 25th morning .
Old 14th January 2020, 11:31   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
Hi all,

I will be taking blr to kannur on below road as suggested

anything i should keep in mind ? Please suggest.
Leaving blr on Jan 25th morning .
Mysore ring road is a better option than Srirangapatana-KRS road-Yelawala

Some diversions on Blr- Mysore road due to widening work, nothing much to worry unless you drive during peak hours

Section after the Hassan turn-off (4 lane end) to Hunsur has intermittent broken surface and some potholes were developing when I drove during Christmas

3 short sections in the ghat getting worked on after the land slips, nothing to worry here

Road work on as you approach Iritty bridge(alongside the river), there was no proper signage and you might end up braking suddenly as you are on super good road till then and suddenly finds a deep cut on the road.

Roadwork going on at one small stretch as you approach Mattannur town.

And as always, the earlier you start, the better. Roads are pretty fine in general.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 12:56   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304 View Post
Just take it easy on the ghat section.

For hotel pitstops - Have at one of the restaurants at Hunsur (Café County – an ok one) or before or drive until Perumabadi check post which is just at the starting of ghat section where there are couple of good restaurants (one is called as Coorg Gate). There are no good restaurants in between.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 14:55   #2006
UMe
BHPian

Hi BHPians,
During the upcoming long weekend, I will be traveling to Thalassery and for the first time, I am planning to make this trip with my 6 year old.
Looking to take below route since it will be early morning departure:
Bangalore - Mysore Road (via ring road) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet (bypass) - Maakutta - Iritty - Mattanur-Thalassery. Any latest updates on the road condition?
I am aware that there is an alternative route via nelamangala-bellur cross? Iam not so familiar with this route. Is it alright to take this route for return trip to avoid messy Mysore Road, also considering my destination is north bangalore? I may be leaving thalassery around noon. Appreciate, if anyone can guide on this alternative route.
Old 18th February 2020, 16:15   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Hi BHPians,
During the upcoming long weekend, I will be traveling to Thalassery and for the first time, I am planning to make this trip with my 6 year old.
Looking to take below route since it will be early morning departure:
Bangalore - Mysore Road (via ring road) - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Virajpet (bypass) - Maakutta - Iritty - Mattanur-Thalassery. Any latest updates on the road condition?
Road is absolutely fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
I am aware that there is an alternative route via nelamangala-bellur cross? Iam not so familiar with this route. Is it alright to take this route for return trip to avoid messy Mysore Road, also considering my destination is north bangalore? I may be leaving thalassery around noon. Appreciate, if anyone can guide on this alternative route.
This route is fine if you do not mind the lack of eateries or restrooms between Srirangapatna and Hassan Highway. The road is superb now with all widening done between Pandavapura and Nagamangala. Do expect some congestion around toll gates if on a sunday evening, especially on the one after you join Tumkur road.
Google maps route here: https://goo.gl/maps/CLAtX2tRBmCcQgbBA
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:07   #2008
BHPian

Hello All,

I applied for the travel pass to travel to kannur and the check post is Muthangha. So I believe that is the shortest entry point to go to Kannur?

Also since the travel pass is not required for the keralites to enter Karnataka via road, is it possible to travel via makkutta(return journey)? Or still we need to come via Muthangha check post?

Did any one travel recently either ways?

Thanks,
Anoop

Last edited by Anoopscv : 3rd July 2020 at 18:13.
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:30   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoopscv View Post
Hello All,
Towards Kerala - Yes Muthanga, or if you are towards North Kannur, then can also think of Majeswaram check post.

Towards Bangalore - Muthanga, Bavali or if from north part of Kannur, then can also think of Jalsoor.

Maakkuta is not open at the moment. Though a pass is not needed, there would be still some sanity checks at the check post including verifying registration etc. So may not be feasible to also open Maakkuta at this time. Things might change, just have to wait and watch out. Too early to confirm, yet to get clarity on these unlock rules.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 11:01   #2010
BHPian

Quote:

Towards Bangalore - Muthanga, Bavali or if from north part of Kannur, then can also think of Jalsoor..
Is Bavali checkpost allowing private vehicles into Kerala towards Kattikulam? Or, is it only towards Karnataka?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks