Team-BHP - Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/13845-bangalore-kannur-route-queries.html)

Hello Everyone,

I joined this community today only.

I'm planning to drive down to Kannur from Bangalore in a couple of days in my Alto. Could some one guide me about the route and the approx. time required?

Thanks,
Soji.

Bangalore - Srirangapatnam - Hunsur - Gonikkopal - Virajpet - mattanur - Kannur (330 odd kms may be...need to check)...

I went only upto Virajpet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy
Bangalore - Srirangapatnam - Hunsur - Gonikkopal - Virajpet - mattanur - Kannur (330 odd kms may be...need to check)...
I went only upto Virajpet...

you are lucky, Mr. Roy :)
Soji, Around 15-20 kms of the remaining part (that means the ghat parts which starts after Virajpet till Kerala border) is in horrible condition. Forget cars, even buses/trucks do not dare to go that way these days.
Alternate route is around 90 kms longer
Mysore-Gundulpet-S.Batheri-Mananthavady-Nidumpoyil-Koothuparamba-Kannur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivadas

There is a Mysore - Mananthavady route that does not require you to go via Gundlupet - Sultan's Battery...it gets you to Mananthavady directly. I'm not sure if the route from Mananthavady goes back to Sultan's Battery, though - there are milestones from Mananthavady that say Mysore on it, and its NOT on the NH.

Think it's not the right time to go , heavy rains in Kerala. Roads could be suspect.

Deepu

Quote:

Soji, Around 15-20 kms of the remaining part (that means the ghat parts which starts after Virajpet till Kerala border) is in horrible condition. Forget cars, even buses/trucks do not dare to go that way these days.

But I saw many KSRTC buses written bangalore - Cannanore( Kannur ) while going in the hunsur - gonikoppal road. Where are these buses coming from? I mean which route they are taking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
There is a Mysore - Mananthavady route that does not require you to go via Gundlupet - Sultan's Battery...it gets you to Mananthavady directly. I'm not sure if the route from Mananthavady goes back to Sultan's Battery, though - there are milestones from Mananthavady that say Mysore on it, and its NOT on the NH.

You are right, Mysore-Mananthavady is a direct route that goes through Nagarahole national park. The Kabini wildlife resort is off this road about 80Kms from Mysore. The road till Kabini is wonderful (laid in Jan06), not great after that unless they have continuing the road work.

Quote:

Thanks for this input. Some one was advising me to take the Mangalore NH instead. But I think it will be too longer a route. Any idea about this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai
You are right, Mysore-Mananthavady is a direct route that goes through Nagarahole national park. The Kabini wildlife resort is off this road about 80Kms from Mysore. The road till Kabini is wonderful (laid in Jan06), not great after that unless they have continuing the road work.

Steeroid, Samurai, you guys are right. There is this Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavadi Route. But even that has around 30 kms streach which is not tarred(probably under repair). According to my friend, this route is better than Virajpet one and distance is same (around 340 kms from bangalore).

Mangalore route (you do not need to reach mangalore, you can take a diversion towards Kanjangad I suppose) would easily be around 100kms lengthier. Again road is in excellent condition I believe.

And Mr. Roy, yes KSRTC (kerala and Karnataka) buses go by original route only. Poor vehicles/drivers ;)
That way there are people who dare to take this route, but believe me it is really painful.

Quote:

Steeroid, Samurai, you guys are right. There is this Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavadi Route. But even that has around 30 kms streach which is not tarred(probably under repair). According to my friend, this route is better than Virajpet one and distance is same (around 340 kms from bangalore).

Mangalore route (you do not need to reach mangalore, you can take a diversion towards Kanjangad I suppose) would easily be around 100kms lengthier. Again road is in excellent condition I believe.

And Mr. Roy, yes KSRTC (kerala and Karnataka) buses go by original route only. Poor vehicles/drivers ;)
That way there are people who dare to take this route, but believe me it is really painful.

while going i took the virajpet route. the ghat section was HORRIBLE!! on return took the HDKote route. till Mananthawadi it was GREAT!! then till HDKote no roads at all. then till bangalore it was a pleasure!!

thanks for all the help.

Hmm, thought i'd refresh this thread, am planning a drive to kannur mid -feb, has anyone been on the mysore-mananthavady section recently? If yes, how are the roads and how many hours is it from mysore to kannur if we drive at a moderate speed? Also tips about places to eat along the way (Between Mysore & Kannur) would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker (Post 365289)
Hmm, thought i'd refresh this thread, am planning a drive to kannur mid -feb, has anyone been on the mysore-mananthavady section recently? If yes, how are the roads and how many hours is it from mysore to kannur if we drive at a moderate speed? Also tips about places to eat along the way (Between Mysore & Kannur) would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Luke
If you can wait till the 14th, I will have the info put up. I will be traversing the same road on the 14th of Feb. Will also update you on the eating places which would typically be HD Kote (if you are leaving in the morning from Bangalore and bypassing Mysore). Little else after HD Kote except for a good hotel in Mananthavady (will update the name once I come back). Before Kannur, there is Kuttuparamba (strictly appam and the like). But from here, Kannur is hardly 35 kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aithal303 (Post 366107)
Hi Luke
If you can wait till the 14th, I will have the info put up. I will be traversing the same road on the 14th of Feb. Will also update you on the eating places which would typically be HD Kote (if you are leaving in the morning from Bangalore and bypassing Mysore). Little else after HD Kote except for a good hotel in Mananthavady (will update the name once I come back). Before Kannur, there is Kuttuparamba (strictly appam and the like). But from here, Kannur is hardly 35 kms.

Thanks aithal, I'm planning to start on the 16th, so will definitely look forward to your update. Drive safe and have good time.

Hi Luke
Dont know if I am late. The best route to Kannur for you would be Bangalore - Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole National Park and then Kutta town. In Kutta, turn left to Tholpetty sanctuary and continue on this road till you get the Mysore - Mananthavady road. Turn right here to get to Mananthavady. This is about 15 kms extra compared to the direct Mysore - Mananthavady road via Kabini but believe me, the stretch near Kabini is a total washout. You would need about 2-30 hrs to cross a grotesque stretch of road. The rest of the route's oky almost everywhere else.

Cheers

Thanks a ton aithal, it is not late, my trip has been postponed due to work. Will anyway try and make it on the subsequent weekend. Thans again.