Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 04:45   #16
BHPian

re: Travel query: Aurangabad - Srinagar - Leh

New plan looks more doable..

Watch out for the traffic timings over Zozila pass on Day5.. The traffic is one way and they allow movement in one direction only at particular timings.
recker_us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 23:43   #17
BHPian

re: Travel query: Aurangabad - Srinagar - Leh

Day 5 - I would suggest you to stretch a bit more and make your stay at Lamayaru instead of Kargil. Kargil stinks and there is no good food to eat. I(Veg) and my non-veg colleague both preferred to stay hungry rather than eating any food there.The whole village stinks of rotten goat meat. The stink was unbearable for both of us and even my friend stayed away from non-veg food which is available there. Kargil had only 1 good hotel to stay in 2010.

Theres not much to see in Leh. Instead you should visit nearby places in Leh like Alchi and nearby monasteries if you are interested. You could also visit Shantistupa where you can see the topview of Leh. Prefer to stay in Old Leh. Its at a height and if any cloud burst was to occur as it happened in Leh in 2010 you did have more chances of survival as its high in the mountains. We were saved because of our decison by fluke and thank god for it.

There is no contingency plan yet. Things are not good in Kashmir and we were stuck 3 days in curfew at a place. So monitor the news before you leave. Also do not club your trip with Amarnath yatra timings. Most Kashmir problems occur in this period. Anyway things in Kashmir are very volatile indeed to predict.
You can plan Tso Kar while returning from Pangong via Keylong. But I think it wont be match to the beautiful Pangong Tso.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed